Post#1 » by ducler » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Re: Game 56: MEM @ DEN 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:03 am

No JJJ this game. Was originally listed as doubtful but downgrade to out this evening. Should see him before too long though I'd think.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:17 am

That Jokic non call on Grayson & his tech swung the game by 10pts.

While Grayson should have been shooting 2, it was a 4 on 1 & he ran into the defense calling his number, didn't like that..

This could have been a blowout if Denver's weak bench didn't put up a 16-2 run thanks to Memphis playing 4 on 5 on offense with Winslow..

Melton team high +19, dug Memphis out of a slow start, 5-7 from 3, while impacting the defensive end. No hesitation in his game.

Basketball, is a game of confidence.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:02 am

After the game Melton had, that TO was costly.

Nuggets announcers said with the stats Memphis have they should be 10 games over 500, the reason they aren't, is officiating.

3rd Quarter Jokic fouls Clarke on a FT line jumper, no call, then takes 4 steps on his spinning & 1for another 5pt swing after his earlier non call on Grayson's 4 on 1 fast break. Those 2 plays/calls alone cost Memphis a 9pt swing.

Also, if they can review a 2minute out of bounds play to over rule the court ruling, they can call the foul that caused the TO.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:06 am

Those Morant over time 3's had me smiling but poor overall execution by Memphis. They had their chances to put this one away.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm

Experience won. Youth lost. That`s pretty much it. Tillman was decent against Joker. Melton`s TO made in the last minute of the game showcased his immaturity. Once he reaches Allen`s and Brooks` age, he should be a beast.

We shouldn`t forget that Ja is still a kid, regardless of how he positions himself or our wishes. Let him grow and make mistakes.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 pm

I like your trade board idea of trading the mid 21 pick for a future pick. Maybe target a pick with some risk on it to potentially get into the top 10 like the Houston OKC owned 24 pick that if it's not top 4 in 24 it turns into 2 seconds.

OKC might want to cash in on that risky value. It could potentially give Memphis 3 picks in 24 when Ja & 3J are in their primes extensions for quality rookie scale, depth & potential upside in case the core group stalls in it's progress.

As apposed to adding a mid lotto 21 pick, especially if the scout's aren't too high on anyone with this team already loaded with young talent in need of development & playing time.

Great idea to explore.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#8 » by E S V L » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:48 pm

Whole Truth wrote:I like your trade board idea of trading the mid 21 pick for a future pick. Maybe target a pick with some risk on it to potentially get into the top 10 like the Houston OKC owned 24 pick that if it's not top 4 in 24 it turns into 2 seconds.

OKC might want to cash in on that risky value. It could potentially give Memphis 3 picks in 24 when Ja & 3J are in their primes extensions for quality rookie scale, depth & potential upside in case the core group stalls in it's progress.

As apposed to adding a mid lotto 21 pick, especially if the scout's aren't too high on anyone with this team already loaded with young talent in need of development & playing time.

Great idea to explore.

I am glad we have a meeting of minds moment here. I would also trade Clarke for a future 1st so that we go to 2021/2022 with:

Ja - Tyus
Allen - Melton - Konchar
Brooks - Bane
Kyle - JJJ - Tille
JV - Tillman

+ 20 mln cap for "bad contracts for future 1sts" deals
+ 8 1sts in upcoming 4 years
+ absolute preparedness to deal for 3d star once this opportunity comes

That`s what some would to call a "perfectly sustainable franchise"
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:50 pm

If Ja would have finished that accidental alley oop to himself for the win I'd have absolutely lost it ha.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm

Nathan Chester from GBB echoing what I've been saying about Jonas defensive impact in this piece.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/4/21/22381808/the-defensively-misunderstood-jonas-valanciunas-memphis-grizzlies-nba

- Grizzlies give up 3.8 fewer points per 100 possessions when he’s on the court.

- Opponents take 3.2% fewer shots at the rim when he’s out there and 3.3% more shots from the mid-range.

- His rim protection is 76th percentile with opponents shooting 58.6% at the rim.

- Opponents also shoot 3.5% worse from three when he’s on the court,

- Fans only see the defensive scheme of allowing the mid range where he's abused in space

- If rebounding is a part of closing defensive possessions, Jonas rebounds just over 33% (!!!) of opponents’ misses, which ranks 2nd in the league.

Now what the author left out of this great article is the impact an efficient scorer who averages 3 second chance opportunities a game has on the defensive end. The same way defense can impact offense with transition buckets & defenses not set, so can an efficient offense teams valuing possession put pressure on a team to score. If you're getting punished offensively, there's a pressure to "not miss". This is how NO's 28th ranked defense dominates this Memphis team that gets careless with their possessions. Then there's the adverse of transition offense off of stops where a scored bucket, allows a defense to get set.

This is why I have pointed out that Jonas team defensive rating is better than his advanced rating. His benefits unseen impact the starting 5 but the clear defensive breakdowns are easily seen & aligned with his advanced stats but as this article nicely does is show in detail how his presence impacts the team beyond the obvious.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:11 am

Whole Truth wrote:Nathan Chester from GBB echoing what I've been saying about Jonas defensive impact in this piece.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/4/21/22381808/the-defensively-misunderstood-jonas-valanciunas-memphis-grizzlies-nba

- Grizzlies give up 3.8 fewer points per 100 possessions when he’s on the court.

- Opponents take 3.2% fewer shots at the rim when he’s out there and 3.3% more shots from the mid-range.

- His rim protection is 76th percentile with opponents shooting 58.6% at the rim.

- Opponents also shoot 3.5% worse from three when he’s on the court,

- Fans only see the defensive scheme of allowing the mid range where he's abused in space

- If rebounding is a part of closing defensive possessions, Jonas rebounds just over 33% (!!!) of opponents’ misses, which ranks 2nd in the league.

Now what the author left out of this great article is the impact an efficient scorer who averages 3 second chance opportunities a game has on the defensive end. The same way defense can impact offense with transition buckets & defenses not set, so can an efficient offense teams valuing possession put pressure on a team to score. If you're getting punished offensively, there's a pressure to "not miss". This is how NO's 28th ranked defense dominates this Memphis team that gets careless with their possessions. Then there's the adverse of transition offense off of stops where a scored bucket, allows a defense to get set.

This is why I have pointed out that Jonas team defensive rating is better than his advanced rating. His benefits unseen impact the starting 5 but the clear defensive breakdowns are easily seen & aligned with his advanced stats but as this article nicely does is show in detail how his presence impacts the team beyond the obvious.

I was going to post that article if you hadn't seen it lol. And your extra point is very valid. I still wish he'd not always drop immediately on the PnR when it is Ja since Ja isn't ready for that island, but oh well.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies