ImageImage

Game 63: MEM @ ORL

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 12,987
And1: 8,287
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#1 » by ducler » Sat May 1, 2021 9:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 2, 2021 1:52 am

Is Jenkins really going to let Winslow choke this game away???. 18pt lead down to 6. & Magic gaining confidence.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Sun May 2, 2021 2:31 am

Really tough L here. Just a devastating shot by Cole. Ballsy shot too considering how his body was turned and the time/situation.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 2, 2021 2:41 am

jman3134 wrote:Really tough L here. Just a devastating shot by Cole. Ballsy shot too considering how his body was turned and the time/situation.


Magic aren't playing for anything.. They are playing free & easy which made letting them back in the game dangerous.

Ed Maloy needs a beat down. That weak offensive call on Jonas late ... was game control but we wouldn't have been in that position if not for Jenkins riding Winslow which gave Magic confidence 8 momentum. In the end, Memphis could have pulled it off but Maloy the POS gave Mafic the leg up.

Are we going to throw the season all for Winslow?
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:12 am

While I always root for my team, I'm not overly upset, considering the fact that there are 10 seeds for the playoffs this year, and the possibility we could sneak into the lotto.

From a momentum perspective, it def was a frustrating game to watch. Winslow will not be back next year.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 2, 2021 3:19 am

jman3134 wrote:While I always root for my team, I'm not overly upset, considering the fact that there are 10 seeds for the playoffs this year, and the possibility we could sneak into the lotto.

From a momentum perspective, it def was a frustrating game to watch. Winslow will not be back next year.


I'm upset because this game was thrown away. Really hope it's for draft position otherwise I'd be concerned for Jenkins in game management.

None wanted Winslow to succeed more than me but I've already moved on & hope you're right.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:23 am

I agree with you 100% - I was shocked by the comeback. I think we know by now that Winslow isn't the guy. Why not pull some former G Leaguers/overseas guys and experiment in game with them now? It is like a free license to do this.

Nets recently signed Mike James for instance. Think we could find some attractive "lesser known" names to take Winslow's minutes.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 2, 2021 3:41 am

jman3134 wrote:I agree with you 100% - I was shocked by the comeback. I think we know by now that Winslow isn't the guy. Why not pull some former G Leaguers/overseas guys and experiment in game with them now? It is like a free license to do this.

Nets recently signed Mike James for instance. Think we could find some attractive "lesser known" names to take Winslow's minutes.


IDK about that, they just let him hurt their playoff aspirations or was it intentional ? 'm really hoping it's the latter.

I also don't know about replacing Winslow, think Memphis need to shorten their rotation & get everyone on the same page to head into the playoffs on tilt.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#9 » by jman3134 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:57 am

There are a few vets that might have NBA outs that could possibly help us in the playoffs. I am not sure of his contract situation (as far as an NBA out is concerned), but Dyshawn Pierre is a really good option imo. He is the ultimate glue guy, who had an excellent season overseas with Fenerbahce Istanbul. Simply a plug and play situation. He will hit corner threes (albeit with somewhat of a set shot, and an odd motion), play solid D and leak ahead in transition.

He averaged 9ppg on 61% shooting from 2 and 42% from 3 this season. Scrappy glue guy.

jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#10 » by jman3134 » Sun May 2, 2021 4:19 am

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I agree with you 100% - I was shocked by the comeback. I think we know by now that Winslow isn't the guy. Why not pull some former G Leaguers/overseas guys and experiment in game with them now? It is like a free license to do this.

Nets recently signed Mike James for instance. Think we could find some attractive "lesser known" names to take Winslow's minutes.


IDK about that, they just let him hurt their playoff aspirations or was it intentional ? 'm really hoping it's the latter.

I also don't know about replacing Winslow, think Memphis need to shorten their rotation & get everyone on the same page to head into the playoffs on tilt.


Either way, we still will have to play the Warriors (most likely) and possibly SA if we slide a spot down in the play-in. I don't see us beating the Blazers.

I am pretty confident we will at least make the 10 seed.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,489
And1: 2,350
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 2, 2021 2:13 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I agree with you 100% - I was shocked by the comeback. I think we know by now that Winslow isn't the guy. Why not pull some former G Leaguers/overseas guys and experiment in game with them now? It is like a free license to do this.

Nets recently signed Mike James for instance. Think we could find some attractive "lesser known" names to take Winslow's minutes.


IDK about that, they just let him hurt their playoff aspirations or was it intentional ? 'm really hoping it's the latter.

I also don't know about replacing Winslow, think Memphis need to shorten their rotation & get everyone on the same page to head into the playoffs on tilt.


Either way, we still will have to play the Warriors (most likely) and possibly SA if we slide a spot down in the play-in. I don't see us beating the Blazers.

I am pretty confident we will at least make the 10 seed.

I'm really worried Winslow will in fact be back next year. This is a lot of investment into someone if we are just going to let them walk.

As for making the play in game, I'm not worried. We just have to stay ahead of NOP and SAC who are a good ways behind us. We also have the easiest schedule moving forward (though we seem to play to the level of our competition so that may not be great). I really can't see us falling past 10.

I don't like to think that the FO is trying to tank, but if they were I think there is a sweet spot they are aiming for. That 14/15 spot in the draft is pretty nice looking. Someone will fall, but if not I think that there is a drop off in SG/SF prospects a little after that point. If we end up with pick 18/19 we may have to move up in order to get someone we like where as at 14/15 we could have someone fall to us. Plus it is easier to move up a bit and grab say a Moody from that spot vs 18/19.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 2, 2021 2:34 pm

jman3134 wrote:There are a few vets that might have NBA outs that could possibly help us in the playoffs. I am not sure of his contract situation (as far as an NBA out is concerned), but Dyshawn Pierre is a really good option imo. He is the ultimate glue guy, who had an excellent season overseas with Fenerbahce Istanbul. Simply a plug and play situation. He will hit corner threes (albeit with somewhat of a set shot, and an odd motion), play solid D and leak ahead in transition.

He averaged 9ppg on 61% shooting from 2 and 42% from 3 this season. Scrappy glue guy.



The way you find these, is impressive.

Having said that, anything is better than 34% FG%, 12.5% 3pt%, 58% FT%, 5 per & a - .8 WS.

What makes it worse is his career numbers aren't much better to say it would be worth it at this point. We or at least I was hoping he'd be better than his averages...

At this point I'm at not throwing bad money behind bad money.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Game 63: MEM @ ORL 

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Yesterday 4:44 am

Thank you for the love. I noticed his season just ended recently in the Euroleague playoffs. I try to track how overseas guys are playing because at age 26/27 it is the sweet spot for coming back and entering an NBA rotation.

Those numbers are just horrendous. On the court, he is just a net negative on offense. All for pulling the plug, unfortunate as it is. Maybe he needs some time in the G League to refine his offensive game - come back strong with more confidence. Probably will be the best thing for his career once we release him.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies