Play-In Game 2 : MEM @ GSW

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Re: Play-In Game 2 : MEM @ GSW 

Post#61 » by Mob Byers » Sat May 22, 2021 6:40 am

Good game. Love the play-in tournament

Pretty sweet 10 man rotation you guys got over there. Always liked Dillion Brooks, the dude plays with fire and man he covered Steph very well. Ja made us pay hitting those 3's and he's clearly made for the playoffs. I won't go thru the whole roster bc you guys already know what you got but Tillman is a damn steal.

Good luck vs Utah, I'll be rooting for ya'll
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#62 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat May 22, 2021 7:16 am

Congrats Griz fans, welcome back to the playoffs!

As a Jazz fan, I apologize in advance for the beat down coming your way. 8-)

Seriously though, I expect a tougher series than most people do. Utah may have a psychological advantage after taking 3 games in a short period a few weeks ago, but that could also work to their disadvantage if they come out overconfident and try to coast through the first round.

Let the games begin. :)
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#63 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 10:35 am

I know the few Memphis fans that post here saw my post describing how the officials will try to control this match by taking Memphis size advantage away. Coming off his strong game vs Spurs, Jonas was fouled out early & then they started to work on 3J but Memphis are 3 deep & the rookie X showed out for Memphis.

Quality, depth & versatility at the centre position - Jonas/Tillman/3J

I learnt this from the Raptors/Pacers playoff matchup. Jonas dominated that series early but because like Curry the league wanted PG to advance, Raptors were lucky they had Bizz effectively backing up Jonas who they kept trying to foul out after his first couple dominant games.. much like last night, just not as obvious.

Refs call these games as though they have scouting reports on teams & players.

How do you control one teams size advantage in the post? you cheaply foul out their starting C & anyone that read my post knows that I'm not saying this in hindsight but hours before the match.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#64 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 am

So proud of the team, they're here with the league not favoring them.

#1 in paint points an extremely aggressive drive first PG is bottom of the league in FT's

Zion who's not in the play off picture as a rookie averages 3x the FT's Ja does because he's who networks like ESPN hype.

Here's the thing.. Jazz are the best team in the league but probably the team Memphis would least likely get raped by an uneven whistle, where I rather face them than Lebron & the Lakers from an officiating point of view..

Don't think I could take in a series like last nights matchup.. though it was gratifying beating Curry with the officials on his side.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#65 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 10:52 am

Nothing left to say but Utah is next up.

Love this team.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#66 » by E S V L » Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 pm

I am already amazed by all those Utah absolute dominance predictions. My only response iis “Ha u doin Utah?”
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#67 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:12 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:Congrats Griz fans, welcome back to the playoffs!

As a Jazz fan, I apologize in advance for the beat down coming your way. 8-)

Seriously though, I expect a tougher series than most people do. Utah may have a psychological advantage after taking 3 games in a short period a few weeks ago, but that could also work to their disadvantage if they come out overconfident and try to coast through the first round.

Let the games begin. :)

If Mitchell comes out a bit rusty it could be a tougher matchup for you guys with Brooks making his life hell, but I fully expect you guys to get it done. We were able to beat the Warriors because we were able to somewhat control Curry and the rest of the team was quite bad. That won't work for Utah. We can shut one guy down but then the other 6 can carry the load. JV (and Ja) will also have a lot more resistance in the paint this series with Gobert than they did with Looney.

I think it will be fun battling Conley and should be a great learning experience for our team. I'm thinking 4-1 Utah with Memphis stealing Game 3 at home. Nothing against my squad (so proud of these young men!) but I just love the Utah team this year. Cheering for whoever comes out of this series to win the whole thing!
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#68 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:13 pm

Mob Byers wrote:Good game. Love the play-in tournament

Pretty sweet 10 man rotation you guys got over there. Always liked Dillion Brooks, the dude plays with fire and man he covered Steph very well. Ja made us pay hitting those 3's and he's clearly made for the playoffs. I won't go thru the whole roster bc you guys already know what you got but Tillman is a damn steal.

Good luck vs Utah, I'll be rooting for ya'll

Appreciate it! You guys are going to be monsters next year. Klay coming back to take some pressure off of Steph. Wiseman and the MIN pick as potential fodder for a superstar trade or as quality rotation players next year. I think you guys will be fine. Extra rest for Steph is probably a good thing since this wasn't the year you guys were going to make noise.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#69 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm

E S V L wrote:I am already amazed by all those Utah absolute dominance predictions. My only response iis “Ha u doin Utah?”

At this point hoping for fairness seems like wishful thinking.

I saw a post on another forum of Memphis potential path to the finals.

Jazz, Clippers, Lakers, Nets..

Considering Jazz are the best team in the league currently & the other 3 are loaded with star players... daunting to say the least.

Having said that Memphis just beat the Spurs/POP & GS/Curry in a game 7 winner take all scenario, they beat out years of Championship pedigree & experience.

So their potential path to a title is actually. Spurs/win GS/Win, Jazz, Clippers, Lakers, Nets..

The young team proved last night they can win regardless of the whistle they get, that effort, focus & determination is the key.

I've said it many times since I've joined the Memphis forum. Basketball is a game of confidence, does it make a difference they're lacking in experience... Memphis have a chance, they have an opportunity. Once you have that... anything is possible.

I have a question for Memphis team & fans.

DO YOU BELIEVE ?.

Jazz, you next.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 4:57 pm

Jonas has done well vs Gobert for his 7yr career as a Raptor..

Just a suggestion Jenkins, look up some old Raptors footage vs Gobert.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 5:19 pm

The last 2 games show why the depth & versatility of both Jonas & Tillman are needed.

Tillman struggled vs Spurs where Jonas dominated, Jonas struggled in small ball & he was unfairly taken off his game with foul trouble * X came in like a boss & played like he's been there before, done that. Without even factoring 3J into the mix, Memphis have the flexibility & capability to give teams many different looks & the quality depth to pick each other up in down games..

It's hard to believe I'd have a gripe with such a great win last night but I do.. I see fans praising Allen for his OT performance,

Memphis wouldn't have needed OT if he wasn't playing selfish down the stretch. He had Bane wide open corner 3 with a clear passing lane & chose to have his shot blocked. Then a couple possessions later, looks off an open Bane again for another contested air ball..

Plays like that are the difference between winning & losing, Memphsi/Allen are lucky Green bricked his layup to make OT.

Reason why I had nothing good to say about Allen's strong OT performance.

He keeps playing selfish like that.. get him off this team.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Just went to the general board & saw a topic talking about how poor the officiating was. 2nd page was a bunch of stupid excuses.

Accept sh#t, get sh#t.

The way they call games will never change if people really are willing to accept what they saw last night.

I want some stupid **** to call/brand me a sore loser for this comment so I can remind them Memphis won.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#73 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:53 pm

Allen did well in OT, but I still think he should have not played. Should have shortened the rotation and him not be a part of it.

I actually expect fair officiating in the Utah series. It is a seven game series so no need for shenanigans until the end if it makes it to that point. Utah should beat us and us stealing a game or two honestly is a good thing since it is additional playoff games for the league and showcases one of their blossoming youth in Ja.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#74 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 23, 2021 12:10 am

VCfor3 wrote:Allen did well in OT, but I still think he should have not played. Should have shortened the rotation and him not be a part of it.

I actually expect fair officiating in the Utah series. It is a seven game series so no need for shenanigans until the end if it makes it to that point. Utah should beat us and us stealing a game or two honestly is a good thing since it is additional playoff games for the league and showcases one of their blossoming youth in Ja.

After Oladipo single handily helped Pacers take game 1 VS Cavs, he was fouled out early first Q of game 2 where a "MISSED" goaltend on him, decided a one possession game.

Now, facing Lebron is not Utah but Jenkins should take Nate's approach & prep for it from game 1. Take nothing for granted. Don't assume the won't do, what they might.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#75 » by E S V L » Sun May 23, 2021 2:35 am

VCfor3 wrote:Allen did well in OT, but I still think he should have not played. Should have shortened the rotation and him not be a part of it.

Please, bro. It had been Brooks for a long time, now we have Allen as a fresh unfair target. Allen was and is awesome; he is a better starter than Melton and Bane because of BBIQ and mental maturity.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#76 » by E S V L » Sun May 23, 2021 2:40 am

Regarding Utah, all I expect and want is to see how the Grizzlies opponents **** their pants because they need to play one more game against the Grizzlies. I don’t care about wins and rings - all I want is to respect and be proud of this team. That’s exactly what I got yesterday. I want more.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 am

E S V L wrote:

Please, bro. It had been Brooks for a long time, now we have Allen as a fresh unfair target. Allen was and is awesome; he is a better starter than Melton and Bane because of BBIQ and mental maturity.

You think I'm unfairly picking on Allen when you call him a fresh target to my same criticism of Brooks tunnel vision, lol

You like seeing forced, selfish play?

Allen's 2 selfish plays down the stretch could have cost Memphis the game just as him calling his number twice vs Jazz on 2 4 on 1 fast breaks came up empty in a close loss., As much his 2 OPEN 3's made in OT helped win the game Memphis wouldn't have been in that position in the first place with the right play in regulation. It took Green blowing an open layup to have that opportunity.

Bane was wide open baseline clear passing lane. Allen saw him, looked him off for a blocked air ball, then had to tap Bane for not making the dish, Then repeated the same "mistake" 2 plays later with another contested air ball. The **** is he looking an open Bane off for only to take a contested shot. That's not me picking on Allen, that's bad basketball.

You may be good with that type of play, I'm not. Didn't like Brooks tunnel vision either & said as much. I don't care how good he played otherwise, I never have & never will like players playing selfish basketball.

Difference between Brooks & Allen, Allen intentionally looked off Bane, where Brooks is guilty of trying to do too much.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#78 » by E S V L » Sun May 23, 2021 11:50 am

Let’s guys agree to disagree on Brooks and Allen vs Bane
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#79 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 23, 2021 1:13 pm

E S V L wrote:

Melton has gone a little cold but he is better than Allen. I'm good with saying Allen is currently better than Bane. I still say Allen should not have been in this game. Against Utah sure go ahead, but in a win or go home game when Allen looked rusty the game before you simply don't play him. He looked bad against the Spurs which is why he didn't really play the second half. Throwing him back out against GSW seems like an illadvised strategy.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#80 » by E S V L » Sun May 23, 2021 1:26 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Melton has gone a little cold but he is better than Allen. I'm good with saying Allen is currently better than Bane. I still say Allen should not have been in this game. Against Utah sure go ahead, but in a win or go home game when Allen looked rusty the game before you simply don't play him. He looked bad against the Spurs which is why he didn't really play the second half. Throwing him back out against GSW seems like an illadvised strategy.

Allen +17, 4-5 3pts
Bane -13, 1-5 3pts

I mean - I cannot even enter into serious discussion around this Brooks-Allen vs Melton-Bane.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies