Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion 

Post#161 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:44 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lillard to Boston or Phila. Is there any other feasible option Portland would seriously consider?

I've read Tatum has been in contact & is trying to recruit. If Lilliard narrows his demands Portland's options become very limited. Brown has only 3yrs remaining where if they don't flip him or manage to contend quickly they can potentially lose him to free agency..

If Brown is made available to put together a rebuilding package for Portland as Simmons is currently being shopped, which top 3-4 teams give up the upside, cost control of the top 4 picks in this draft ? IMO, only the Raptors are a viable threat to contend from their current position to take that risk.

I don't think Philly can match Boston, if they put up Brown in trade. Question is, can Memphis entice Portland & Boston with a viable rebuilding package that makes sense for all parties ?.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#162 » by E S V L » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lillard to Boston or Phila. Is there any other feasible option Portland would seriously consider?

I've read Tatum has been in contact & is trying to recruit. If Lilliard narrows his demands Portland's options become very limited. Brown has only 3yrs remaining where if they don't flip him or manage to contend quickly they can potentially lose him to free agency..

If Brown is made available to put together a rebuilding package for Portland as Simmons is currently being shopped, which top 3-4 teams give up the upside, cost control of the top 4 picks in this draft ? IMO, only the Raptors are a viable threat to contend from their current position to take that risk.

I don't think Philly can match Boston, if they put up Brown in trade. Question is, can Memphis entice Portland & Boston with a viable rebuilding package that makes sense for all parties ?.

Toronto will be stupid to offer Suggs for Lillard. It would remind me the Wallace for Lillard trade happened long time ago.

I don’t believe that either team above may want a rebuilding package.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#163 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Would Portland try to do something like Lillard to Boston for Brown++ an then flip Brown to Philly for Simmons++? Simmons prevents them from a total rebuild while they also get a load of assets. I saw a rumor that Portland's owner may want to sell the team soon so a total rebuild would not be ideal for the team's value. Otherwise I'd say they should tear it all down and go fire sale on their vets.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#164 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:11 am

Originally posted by GSWFan1994 but it is a summary of what Kevin O'Connor is hearing in regards to the draft:

You can read it here.

Quick summary:

- Detroit will stand pat and take Cade at pick 1.

- Houston leaning on taking Jalen Green with pick 2.

- Cleveland intends to take Evan Mobley with pick 3, even if they trade Colin Sexton on draft night. Most executives view Mobley as the draft's 2nd best player.

- If Cleveland flips Sexton, they could draft Jalen Suggs, therefore Toronto would instantly pick Mobley at 4. Likely not to happen, so they would be happy with Suggs.

- Top 4 is set in stone, like everyone and their mothers already knows.

- Lots of teams trying to trade up to the 2-4 range.

- Teams that could be trying to move up: Orlando (5 + 8), OKC (6 + 16 + 18), Golden State (7 + 14).

- Orlando likes Scottie Barnes at 5.

- OKC likes Barnes and Bouknight with the 6th pick.

- Jonathan Kuminga could fall to the Warriors at 7. The same Warriors, however, are trying to trade out of the draft for veteran help.

If this happens and we managed to get 7 from GSW for some non-Ja/JJJ package, would you want to grab Moody or Kuminga?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#165 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:59 am

VCfor3 wrote:
If this happens and we managed to get 7 from GSW for some non-Ja/JJJ package, would you want to grab Moody or Kuminga?

If Memphis development staff feel like they can improve Keon Johnson's shooting ability, I like his defense & upside next to Ja. The combination of defense, speed & athleticism in the open court.. IMO, perfect SG next to JA with a very high ceiling considering his athletic tools, where at the very least, he'd be a strong defender with good size for his position.

I like the size, versatility & potential complete games of Kuminga, Jalen Johnson but they too are question marks where 3pt shooting is concerned.

Moody has the lower ceiling but he can shoot & looks like a great overall fit.

IDK..

I'd be good with any of the players in the 7-10 range. At the very least, Memphis would get size, defense & potential upside, where a team like GS at 7 can't bank on a development pick.

I wouldn't give up 3J for anything outside the top 5 if his value is currently too low unless it meant potentially landing someone like Brown. I've resorted to thinking the best course of action is getting the 7th pick & taking any of the players mentioned.

#7 Keon Johnson at SG
#17 Zaire or Murphy at SF

Hight draft for me is about upside, so I'd be very intrigued by taking Keon Johnson at 7-10.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#166 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:09 am

VCfor3 wrote:Would Portland try to do something like Lillard to Boston for Brown++ an then flip Brown to Philly for Simmons++? Simmons prevents them from a total rebuild while they also get a load of assets. I saw a rumor that Portland's owner may want to sell the team soon so a total rebuild would not be ideal for the team's value. Otherwise I'd say they should tear it all down and go fire sale on their vets.

Would you flip Brown for Simmons ? I wouldn't nor do I think Portland would nor do I think Boston would like that development.

Nurkic has said if Lilliard is gone, he wants out so I'd think they'd flip Brown for better player control & picks.

I don't know who's in a better position than Memphis to give up a nice rebuilding package while simultaneously being in a position to make use of Brown's 3yrs heading/progressing into contention.. It's almost ideal considering 3J is heading into his extension still a question mark.

Portland would get better control with 3J & while giving him chance to develop, they'd be in a good position to simultaneously tank to put a team around him with multiple picks..
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#167 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Would Portland try to do something like Lillard to Boston for Brown++ an then flip Brown to Philly for Simmons++? Simmons prevents them from a total rebuild while they also get a load of assets. I saw a rumor that Portland's owner may want to sell the team soon so a total rebuild would not be ideal for the team's value. Otherwise I'd say they should tear it all down and go fire sale on their vets.

Would you flip Brown for Simmons ? I wouldn't nor do I think Portland would nor do I think Boston would like that development.

Nurkic has said if Lilliard is gone, he wants out so I'd think they'd flip Brown for better player control & picks.

I don't know who's in a better position than Memphis to give up a nice rebuilding package while simultaneously being in a position to make use of Brown's 3yrs heading/progressing into contention.. It's almost ideal considering 3J is heading into his extension still a question mark.

Portland would get better control with 3J & while giving him chance to develop, they'd be in a good position to simultaneously tank to put a team around him with multiple picks..

My thought is that Brown as the guy in Portland wouldn't be ideal. He is really good but not the alpha who leads a team. I also think Nurk would ask out if Dame is moved. So Brown to Philly for Simmons plus additional assets would let Portland have an extra year of control over Simmons, get the additional assets, and if they are able to surround Simmons with shooters then they could potentially fight for a play-in game sooner as opposed to later.

As for Boston saying no, Portland could have this structured as two separate deals and Boston wouldn't have a say in it. Dame to Boston for Brown++ and then they auction Brown off with say Philly having the winning bid. Or if Portland does try to make it a three way deal and Boston says no then you simply don't trade him to Boston. Maybe Philly offers up Simmons, Maxey, and like every single pick they can. Boston now has to deal with Dame+Embiid+Harris. You also could have Denver or someone else come in and scoop Brown up. I'm not sure if our package based around JJJ would entice Portland more than a Simmons package or not since I could see Philly being more motivated to get a deal done.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#168 » by E S V L » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 pm

My draft prediction:

1. We select Duarte at #17.
2. We trade Grayson for an early 2nd to draft Josh Christopher or Aaron Henry.
3. We select Jericho Sims at #51.
4. Finally, we sign 4 undrafted prospects.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#170 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 pm

Summary of the Grizzlies so far in the Locked On podcast's Ultimate Draft thing they are doing.
-Memphis trades Anderson+Utah 1st for #14 where we select the falling Bouknight
-Memphis selects Keon Johnson at #17 with our own pick
E S V L
Analyst

Post#171 » by E S V L » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Summary of the Grizzlies so far in the Locked On podcast's Ultimate Draft thing they are doing.
-Memphis trades Anderson+Utah 1st for #14 where we select the falling Bouknight
-Memphis selects Keon Johnson at #17 with our own pick

I will s... my pants if it happens
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#172 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 pm

The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor reported the Pacers "are incredibly active in trade talks involving this pick, both for deals moving into the top 10 or out of the draft entirely."
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#173 » by psman2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:07 pm

E S V L wrote:https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/7/22/22588609/2021-sb-nation-nba-mock-nba-draft-the-memphis-grizzlies-select-trey-murphy-iii-virginia-cavaliers

I am intrigued by Murphy. Shooting and length is nice...
E S V L
Analyst

Post#174 » by E S V L » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 pm

psman2 wrote:
E S V L wrote:https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/7/22/22588609/2021-sb-nation-nba-mock-nba-draft-the-memphis-grizzlies-select-trey-murphy-iii-virginia-cavaliers

I see us targeting Moody first; if no luck there, then Garuba, Duarte, Murphy.
FK NFL
psman2
General Manager

Post#175 » by psman2 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:15 pm

E S V L wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I am with you on Moody, hopefully he falls out of the top 10 so we can trade up for him with minimal assets.

I think I have Murphy/Duarte/Garuba. Garuba is intriguing but too much of a project for me and has to develop perfectly to be a useful player imo. This draft is gearing up to be one of the most interesting one in recent history with guys like Garuba and Sengun mocked anywhere from 5 to 25+.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#176 » by E S V L » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:08 am

psman2 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I am with you on Moody, hopefully he falls out of the top 10 so we can trade up for him with minimal assets.

I think I have Murphy/Duarte/Garuba. Garuba is intriguing but too much of a project for me and has to develop perfectly to be a useful player imo. This draft is gearing up to be one of the most interesting one in recent history with guys like Garuba and Sengun mocked anywhere from 5 to 25+.

I agree. I believe that we should target all GSW’s assets: Wiseman, #7, #14. I am ready to trade all JJJ, Bane, Clarke, Tyus, Allen, Kyle, 1sts in order to get Wiseman, Moody, Garuba, Mitchell, Murphy.
FK NFL
psman2
General Manager

Post#177 » by psman2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:19 am

E S V L wrote:
psman2 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I agree. I believe that we should target all GSW’s assets: Wiseman, #7, #14. I am ready to trade all JJJ, Bane, Clarke, Tyus, Allen, Kyle, 1sts in order to get Wiseman, Moody, Garuba, Mitchell, Murphy.

We already know I am not with you on the JJJ trade train. I do love we are in a position where we have different trade packages that can help us move up and around in the draft. What some win now talent, we got that. Need cap relief...sure. Future picks to make up value gaps...yep. And we seem to have an aggressive front office so there could be some fireworks.

If we walk away with just pick 17 it will feel kind of like a disappointment even if we land one of our desired targets.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#178 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:25 am

NBA front offices have been told Bradley Beal is considering a trade request prior to the draft next week, per B/R's @JakeLFischer pic.twitter.com/ubpiux8MZr
E S V L
Analyst

Post#179 » by E S V L » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:41 pm

psman2 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
psman2 wrote:

We already know I am not with you on the JJJ trade train. I do love we are in a position where we have different trade packages that can help us move up and around in the draft. What some win now talent, we got that. Need cap relief...sure. Future picks to make up value gaps...yep. And we seem to have an aggressive front office so there could be some fireworks.

If we walk away with just pick 17 it will fill kind of like a disappointment even if we land one of our desired targets.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure that JJJ has a higher ceiling than Wiseman. Unlike JJJ, Wiseman has a pure position, high shooting release, and the lighter legs. JJJ is smarter and versatile, though his BB instincts look a bit questionable sometimes, though Wiseman is hardly better in this regard. Because of JJJ’s low release, Utah’s player successfully defended him on the 3pt line. With JV, we have some time for Wiseman’s proper development.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#180 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Jake Fischer isn't exactly a great source but still interesting:
Sources said the Pelicans have generated traction with the Grizzlies in a framework that would swap that 10th selection for the 17th pick while also sending Eric Bledsoe back to Memphis.

Read on Twitter

Return to Memphis Grizzlies