ImageImage

Trade Deadline Desires

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,815

Trade Deadline Desires 

Post#1 » by psman2 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 5:13 pm

So who do you guys think Memphis should trade to swing a trade for before the deadline tomorrow?

Guys that are likely available via trade include Grant, Woods, maybe Barnes, Nance, Randle, Wizard Flotsam, Olynyk. Some cheaper options that I like are Kenrich Williams and Bamba if the price is cheap enough, need to do something with those late 1sts.

So lets hear who you want and what you think we would give up for them.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Trade Deadline Desires 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 7:32 pm

In general I think I want us to do nothing unless there is a situation we can capitalize on. I'm okay if we end up going into the offseason with all three 1sts. The price to acquire players is all over the place and I doubt I want to pay what it may take to get some of the better players.

Have some word vomit:
-If we go into the offseason with all three 1sts, I think we use one or both of the later picks to move up in the draft. I could also see us move one for a future 1st so I'm not as worried about trying to move a pick now.
-I'd low key shop Anderson to see what he could return. He's a quality vet on an expiring deal. If someone offers something of substance I'd do it. Anderson+22 MEM 1st for expiring+2023 1st (that is likely to be at least a middle of the draft 1st) is a creative way to preserve assets and maybe even increase them. I like Anderson and his defense and playmaking are awesome. He is a huge part of the bench unit. But I think we need someone who can shoot the 3 in his place. 3pt shooting and FT shooting are killing us this year. Anderson hurts us in both areas. Again I'm not giving him up for free, but if a good offers comes along I fully consider it.
-Culver is someone I'd move very easily. Either with a 2nd or late 1st (though I don't see any great targets. Bagley maybe if we don't include a 1st?). I'd also look to see if there is a deal where we can trade him for a more expensive expiring+2nd. For instance I think we should have strongly considered Culver for Sato+2nd and replaced SAS in the Utah/Portland three way assuming the 2nd isn't in 2022. Utah maybe prefers Juan's size, but he has been terrible this year. Culver hasn't exactly been great either but has at least had a couple flashes.
-Tillman I'd part ways with if someone would give something up for him, but I doubt he holds much value right now. Could be a sneaky pickup for one of the contenders if they are willing to part with two 2nds. Him being best friends with JJJ though may hold some minor sway with the FO.
-Tyus I don't move unless someone hella overpays.
-Brooks coming back after the All Star break will be kind of like our deadline addition to the team.
-If somehow a young stud shakes free we should go hard with the full pick war chest and some of the youth.
-Melton I have a lot of mixed feelings on. He has struggled mightily on offense this year making last year seem more and more like an outlier especially from deep. He still has been great on defense. I would be open to using him as a key piece in a bigger deal along with picks for a great young player but not sure who that might be.
-Ziaire I think we will be hard to part with. He has really come along this season especially given how raw he was supposed to be and how bad he played last year in college. Sky is the limit for the kid so I expect us to be hesitant to give that up short of a star.
psman2
General Manager

Post#3 » by psman2 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 9:11 pm

VCfor3....I like the idea of trying to bundle Anderson with a late 1st for a projected better future 1st. But I cannot see us making that move without bringing in another rotational wing. Maybe a play for kenrich could be enough.

Another idea I had is Anderson for Sexton and a late 1st for kenrich/2nds. If Sexton is open to idea of a sub 20m sixth man role maybe that could work. Tyus walks in the off-season.

Still with no power makes it harder to keep up with the deadline.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:44 am

psman2 wrote:VCfor3....I like the idea of trying to bundle Anderson with a late 1st for a projected better future 1st. But I cannot see us making that move without bringing in another rotational wing. Maybe a play for kenrich could be enough.

Another idea I had is Anderson for Sexton and a late 1st for kenrich/2nds. If Sexton is open to idea of a sub 20m sixth man role maybe that could work. Tyus walks in the off-season.

I got one for you.

DJJ+Por 1st for Anderson+UTA/MEM 1st (better)

We get a wing player who can be our third string wing. Ideally Brooks and Ziaire hold down the SF minutes but if one is out then DJJ is a competent NBA player. Anderson is solidly better so win-now Chicago bites. We give up a late 1st for what may end up being a pick in the teens down the road. There is a chance the pick never conveys, but hopefully in the span of 6 season Portland makes the playoffs once. I don't know if you have to say better of the two if you are arguing the whole "may not convey" thing. You may be able to just outright send our pick or the Utah pick or if Chicago is really desperate you can maybe do the lesser of the two.
psman2
General Manager

Post#5 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:53 am

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:VCfor3....I like the idea of trying to bundle Anderson with a late 1st for a projected better future 1st. But I cannot see us making that move without bringing in another rotational wing. Maybe a play for kenrich could be enough.

I got one for you.

We get a wing player who can be our third string wing. Ideally Brooks and Ziaire hold down the SF minutes but if one is out then DJJ is a competent NBA player. Anderson is solidly better so win-now Chicago bites. We give up a late 1st for what may end up being a pick in the teens down the road. There is a chance the pick never conveys, but hopefully in the span of 6 season Portland makes the playoffs once. I don't know if you have to say better of the two if you are arguing the whole "may not convey" thing. You may be able to just outright send our pick or the Utah pick or if Chicago is really desperate you can maybe do the lesser of the two.

I suggested that exact one a few times on the TNT board….well the Utah pick since then we were still a 8th seed back then. We need more shooting in the playoffs so DJJ won’t really help much there. Adams has earned his playing time but I just feel like we would have a higher upside if we get get more shooting in the front court. Grant and Barnes could help but I don’t like the likely cost and giving up on cap space options at the same time. So I think we are going to be sitting on are hands besides maybe a culver/2nds for some minor upgrade to the rotation.

Maybe make it a three way to land Gary Harris using Culver and DJJ should get us close to matching salary. Throw in a 2nd and Orlando save some $$ as incentive too.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:03 am

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I got one for you.

I suggested that exact one a few times on the TNT board….well the Utah pick since then we were still a 8th seed back then. We need more shooting in the playoffs so DJJ won’t really help much there. Adams has earned his playing time but I just feel like we would have a higher upside if we get get more shooting in the front court. Grant and Barnes could help but I don’t like the likely cost and giving up on cap space options at the same time. So I think we are going to be sitting on are hands besides maybe a culver/2nds for some minor upgrade to the rotation.

DJJ wouldn't see playoff minutes for us if we did that trade though if he did get a few minutes I think it would be fine. He is okay defensively. Ziaire who has been shooting decently since coming back would get the backup minutes. Brooks would be our SF, maybe we do some three guard lineups with some combination of Tyus/Melton/Ja/Bane to eat some SF minutes, and Ziaire covers the few remaining. JJJ and Clarke cover the PF minutes. JJJ and Adams cover the C minutes. Not having Anderson makes us a little less versatile and slightly worse overall, but a minor downgrade this season isn't something I'm as worried about when positioning ourselves for the future. DJJ would be injury depth who expires this offseason and we send on his way. Maybe we make it a three way deal and send Culver and DJJ to SAS for Thad Young. Heck a straight Culver for Ibaka swap may be possible to save LAC money. That gives you a backup 4 in case we need someone else. We then maybe try to get that shooting 3/4 in the draft using the LAL 1st and other later 1st to move up some. Also if Chicago is hesitant then Tillman is someone I could see them maybe having interest in as C depth.
psman2
General Manager

Post#7 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:17 am

Would you guys consider a big trade for Tobias Harris. Something like Adams/Culver/Anderson for Harris plus incentive. How much incentive is the question. Now we might not consider it all since he wrecks our finances but it is something to ponder. Springer or 2022 1st and a 2024 UP !st would be my opening bid. Then we could flip a late 1st for Bamba to spit time at center with JJJ. Harris’s game lately is rounding back into form.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:08 am

Tobias Harris's contract is a dangerous proposition. He's been alright as a player. He can stretch the floor and rebound a bit. That contract of his is a great overpay in my book.

A guy I could see is Robin Lopez. Add another aggressive big in the post and on the mid-range game. Definitely worth giving up Culver and potentially Tillman in the process.

As for adding another shooter in the mix. I'm considering a return home for this guy.

Lou Williams- known knock down shooter. Vet on an expiring contract. Could a change of team full of aggressive youngsters with skills and attitude will be enough to motivate LouWill to chip in and help the Grizzlies? I think so.

Otherwise, I do not anticipate the Grizzlies making any major moves to the risk of disturbing their chemistry.
psman2
General Manager

Post#9 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:25 am

SD2042 wrote:Tobias Harris's contract is a dangerous proposition. He's been alright as a player. He can stretch the floor and rebound a bit. That contract of his is a great overpay in my book.

A guy I could see is Robin Lopez. Add another aggressive big in the post and on the mid-range game. Definitely worth giving up Culver and potentially Tillman in the process.

As for adding another shooter in the mix. I'm considering a return home for this guy.

Lou Williams- known knock down shooter. Vet on an expiring contract. Could a change of team full of aggressive youngsters with skills and attitude will be enough to motivate LouWill to chip in and help the Grizzlies? I think so.

Otherwise, I do not anticipate the Grizzlies making any major moves to the risk of disturbing their chemistry.

I think we could really use a Lou Williams type of guy. We need a guy who just go get a bucket on the 2nd team. I just don’t think Lou Williams is still a Lou Williams type of guy.

Tobias in my book is still a player worth 20-25 million a year especially with the cap raising during his contract. I think he could take our offense up a notch. The question is can we extract enough assets to make it worth the bad money we have to eat. And the next question is what can we do with all these non-premium 1sts we will be staking up if we did a trade like this with all the other picks we already have. Bane or Brooks or both and a bunch of meh picks should at least get us in the discussion for the next star that comes on the market.

My thinking is that the FA crop is very uninspiring, so looking at options were we basically going free agent shopping ahead of time (sexton, Bamba) or sell our space now instead of waiting to attempt to do it in the offseason(Harris)
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:52 am

psman2 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Tobias Harris's contract is a dangerous proposition. He's been alright as a player. He can stretch the floor and rebound a bit. That contract of his is a great overpay in my book.

I think we could really use a Lou Williams type of guy. We need a guy who just go get a bucket on the 2nd team. I just don’t think Lou Williams is still a Lou Williams type of guy.

Tobias in my book is still a player worth 20-25 million a year especially with the cap raising during his contract. I think he could take our offense up a notch. The question is can we extract enough assets to make it worth the bad money we have to eat. And the next question is what can we do with all these non-premium 1sts we will be staking up if we did a trade like this with all the other picks we already have. Bane or Brooks or both and a bunch of meh picks should at least get us in the discussion for the next star that comes on the market.

My thinking is that the FA crop is very uninspiring, so looking at options were we basically going free agent shopping ahead of time (sexton, Bamba) or sell our space now instead of waiting to attempt to do it in the offseason(Harris)

Let's say the Grizzlies were taking under considering to trade for Tobias. Obviously we have the picks at hand. Potentially Dillon Brooks, K.A. and etc. Keeping in mind we're dealing with Daryl Morey. I do get that Tobias would enrich the Grizzlies offense. That contract of his is just a major turn off for me. Even if it's two years remaining.

As for the FA, I was thinking based on how things go wit hthe Celtics about the Grizzlies chances of going after Jaylen Brown. We would have the assets. The question is what will Boston ask for in return.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:38 pm

I would need pretty decent incentive to take on Harris. He is a decent player, but would be the 3rd/4th guy depending on how you see Bane. Not quite $40m for the 4th guy isn't good and likely costs us players in the long run. His last year will be the first with Brooks on a new contract unless you don't want to keep him around. He will be pretty expensive I bet (20m/year?). You also have to pay Clarke if you want to keep him around. Tyus is likely gone too. Ja will be on the rookie supermax. We also probably can't afford Bamba

Harris $39m
Ja $38m? (not sure the exact number of the rookie supermax but expect 36-39m)
JJJ $27m
Melton $8m
Ziaire $5m
Bane $4m
Aldama $2m
Konchar $2m
Tillman $2m

Ja
Bane/Melton
Ziaire/Konchar
Harris/Aldama
JJJ/Tillman

That lineup I don't know how I how I feel about and we are at $127m. Ignoring roster spot holds we have maybe $20m to spend before hitting the luxury tax which I think we only pay if we are true contenders and even then I bet we won't be willing to pay a ton. That may not even be enough to keep both Bamba and Clarke much less Brooks or a different competent wing. Harris is best at the 4 so I don't expect him to play a ton of SF. Getting a Bamba (or another big bodied C on a min) would be important for certain matchups. If we get decent incentive I'm good with the deal since we can use it to help dump Harris in his final year if necessary, but it has to be worth it. We can also use Harris as salary matching for a young stud with our assets plus the incoming Philly assets but I doubt the other team sees Harris as anything but strongly negative in such a deal.

I think Harris would help make us a better team over the next couple years but may cost us in the long run if we aren't careful. He is a good player though.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:08 am

Well we went with the solid #NoTrades option and I'm not upset. Some of these trades were wild. Any random thoughts on how they effect our team moving forward?

-KP not on Dallas helps us I think. He was a pain for us.
-Kinda wanted LAL to make a move to get better because that pick has a real shot of not conveying
-NOP and SAC have a real shot of jumping LAL. LAL needs to stay ahead of three of NOP, SAC, WAS, and NYK to finish 11th worst aka give us the pick.
psman2
General Manager

Post#13 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:56 am

VCfor3 wrote:Well we went with the solid #NoTrades option and I'm not upset. Some of these trades were wild. Any random thoughts on how they effect our team moving forward?

-Kinda wanted LAL to make a move to get better because that pick has a real shot of not conveying
-NOP and SAC have a real shot of jumping LAL. LAL needs to stay ahead of three of NOP, SAC, WAS, and NYK to finish 11th worst aka give us the pick.

LAL not making a move sucked for our pick but I feel like 70ish% it conveys to us. Sac would really have to go on a tear, I don’t see them jumping LAL. NOP has a better chance especially if Zion decides to play some. Wash is dead now, NY is the wild card here for me that could ruin that pick.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#14 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:53 am

Underrated thing is we might think about promoting Shaq Buchanan and a few other guys on our G League roster if need be. Buchanan is ballin' down there and has the Ja Morant connection obviously from their days at Murray. Maybe he provides a bench spark - who knows? Think he dropped 40 in the G League the other night.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:04 pm

jman3134 wrote:Underrated thing is we might think about promoting Shaq Buchanan and a few other guys on our G League roster if need be. Buchanan is ballin' down there and has the Ja Morant connection obviously from their days at Murray. Maybe he provides a bench spark - who knows? Think he dropped 40 in the G League the other night.

Yeah if we end up with a roster spot I think Shaq gets it. I just don't think a spot opens up this year. Maybe we let Pons go and put Shaq on his two-way spot?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:05 pm

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Well we went with the solid #NoTrades option and I'm not upset. Some of these trades were wild. Any random thoughts on how they effect our team moving forward?

LAL not making a move sucked for our pick but I feel like 70ish% it conveys to us. Sac would really have to go on a tear, I don’t see them jumping LAL. NOP has a better chance especially if Zion decides to play some. Wash is dead now, NY is the wild card here for me that could ruin that pick.

Yeah I feel like WAS will definitely fall. One of NOP/SAC will jump LAL but not both. And NYK hopefully nose dives with all the Randle drama (and Thibs drama).
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by SD2042 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:05 am

KP off Dallas definitely helps the Grizzlies. Definitely does not help Luka. I still wonder did those two still had some tension in-spite of the fact it was reported during the offseason they supposed to have come to an understanding.

On the Lakers, I already figured they did not have any assets to pull off any beneficial move to help themselves for the better. A major note to be added. This Lakers organization should serve as a cautionary tale to know you are doing when you sacrifice your long term gains for your short term gains. Too much gambling on the front end has set up for big losses on the back end. Like you and VC, I can agree that their past actions may cost the Grizzlies a potential extra pick in the upcoming draft.

NOP could make a decent run, but with Zion in the mix, who's to say what will happen the rest of the way.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:17 pm

A potential offseason target this year I think is Mitchell. Him and Gobert butt heads a lot and I could see him potentially asking out if Utah flounders in the playoffs again. I guess Gobert is an option too, but Mitchell fits the timeline better. Any interest in him from you guys and if so what would you be willing to give up? I personally would be cool with adding him though a Ja/Mitchell backcourt isn't the strongest defensively.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#19 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:09 pm

VCfor3 wrote:A potential offseason target this year I think is Mitchell. Him and Gobert butt heads a lot and I could see him potentially asking out if Utah flounders in the playoffs again. I guess Gobert is an option too, but Mitchell fits the timeline better. Any interest in him from you guys and if so what would you be willing to give up? I personally would be cool with adding him though a Ja/Mitchell backcourt isn't the strongest defensively.

I'm expecting DM to request a trade from the Jazz. I'm sure he's getting to the point of not getting the team over the hump in the playoffs. Where the Grizzlies could fall in at. I would not mind DM from the aspect that he does provide the offense, excitement, and attitude that fits with this young Grizzlies mantra. The more firepower, the better for the Grizzlies. Plus adds more to the Grizzlies popularity both local and regional.

The drawback from DM is they will be giving up a lot here. Desmond Bane, Dillon Brooks, a couple of picks, and a S&T of KA for instance. With Bane on an uptick the last two seasons, it's a hard one to consider giving him up for DM, who in a sense has arrive and plays with dedication. Something that Des is doing also. Plus Des is a better defender while DM is the better passer. The defense is a concern. Right now, Ja isn't the best defender. At least he's trying his best. DM isn't a defender so with those two on offense, they will be a danger to contend with. However, on defense, they will be liabilities on that side of the ball. Which will open the door to crucial fouls to the frontcourt of the Grizzlies.

As much as I like DM and the game he puts on, his lack of defense unfortunately allows me to say no due to the reasons I speculated up above.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies