Minnesota in 5
8%

Total votes: 12

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Playoff Thread: (2) Memphis vs (3) Golden State 

Post#121 » by Whole Truth » Wed May 4, 2022 12:04 pm

jman3134 wrote:Chump foul by Brooks. He may get suspended and that is going to be hard on us. Just boneheaded.

No place for that bs.

Agree & disagree. Hate to see GP get hurt but lets be real. Green set the tone for this play. I don't like the play & the fact GP got hurt but I definitely like the message Brooks sent. Memphis isn't taking ****..

Green has injured players with ditry plays before & his hit on Clarke wasn't a basketball play either... He hit him in the face before Clarke even brought the ball up & ripped him down in mid air. Everyone said he shouldn't have been ejected because he faned trying to help him up after the fact but what if Clarke had fell wrong too ?.... Isn't that what Kerr was talking about ?, dangerous mid air contact. Had me wondering if he missed the last game...

Morally 2 wrongs don't make a right. In a fight, a good punch needs a counter punch, otherwise you're taking all the punches.

Apparently to Kerr that player code he's on a bout only exists for players not named Green. All well and good, until it happens to you. Do something about the way Green plays or STFU.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#122 » by jman3134 » Wed May 4, 2022 4:54 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Chump foul by Brooks. He may get suspended and that is going to be hard on us. Just boneheaded.

No place for that bs.

Agree & disagree. Hate to see GP get hurt but lets be real. Green set the tone for this play. I don't like the play & the fact GP got hurt but I definitely like the message Brooks sent. Memphis isn't taking ****..

Green has injured players with ditry plays before & his hit on Clarke wasn't a basketball play either... He hit him in the face before Clarke even brought the ball up & ripped him down in mid air. Everyone said he shouldn't have been ejected because he faned trying to help him up after the fact but what if Clarke had fell wrong too ?.... Isn't that what Kerr was talking about ?, dangerous mid air contact. Had me wondering if he missed the last game...

Morally 2 wrongs don't make a right. In a fight, a good punch needs a counter punch, otherwise you're taking all the punches.

Apparently to Kerr that player code he's on a bout only exists for players not named Green. All well and good, until it happens to you. Do something about the way Green plays or STFU.

Not with you there. If Green is hacking and you want to send a message, then there's only one man you send a message to (the guy playing dirty not someone outside the situation). I don't even think he was trying to send a message. It was just a really dirty play.

And if Ja doesn't literally carry our team in the 4th, we are down 0-2 and didn't have Brooks the entire game.

It isn't even a tough guy move. He swiped at his head - it was cowardly imo. To me, that doesn't even send any message other than it is open season on anyone driving to the basket. Which is a message I don't want sent for Ja's sake.

This is coming from someone who can't stand Green.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#123 » by jman3134 » Wed May 4, 2022 5:44 pm

In my opinion, obviously I don't think Brooks was trying to hurt the guy. Nor, do I even think he was sending a message. Agree with Herrington that it was just a frustration foul that was dirty (whereas Draymond is dirty for the sake of being dirty). That is why I am annoyed with Brooks. Also, think Kenny captured it pretty well.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#124 » by Whole Truth » Wed May 4, 2022 7:13 pm

jman3134 wrote:In my opinion, obviously I don't think Brooks was trying to hurt the guy. Nor, do I even think he was sending a message. Agree with Herrington that it was just a frustration foul that was dirty (whereas Draymond is dirty for the sake of being dirty). That is why I am annoyed with Brooks. Also, think Kenny captured it pretty well.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jam, respect your opinion but I'd love to hear what these people would be saying, if Clarke had landed wrong.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#125 » by jman3134 » Wed May 4, 2022 7:47 pm

100% with you on that, though. All for removing Draymond and his bs from this series.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#126 » by VCfor3 » Wed May 4, 2022 8:51 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:In my opinion, obviously I don't think Brooks was trying to hurt the guy. Nor, do I even think he was sending a message. Agree with Herrington that it was just a frustration foul that was dirty (whereas Draymond is dirty for the sake of being dirty). That is why I am annoyed with Brooks. Also, think Kenny captured it pretty well.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jam, respect your opinion but I'd love to hear what these people would be saying, if Clarke had landed wrong.

I have a problem with everyone trying to compare the Green and Brooks fouls in light of "which was worse" and use that to justify the punishment. They are two different situations in my opinion and what happens in one shouldn't effect the other. Punishment should simply be looking at the situation and calling it accordingly.

I completely agree with jman and Herrington. I think Brooks went for the block while accepting that it would likely be a foul and was recklessly aggressive with his contest attempt that really didn't have much of a chance to work. Dillon is an emotional guy and he had just missed a few shots after having a terrible shooting night the game before. He did something dumb. I think his left hand that some others are complaining about elsewhere didn't do anything. He didn't grab the jersey or push with it as they are trying to argue. Gary went flying because he got whacked in the head. Dillon tried for the ball, misjudged, and the inside of his arm clubbed Gary's head. That alone would warrant a Flagrant 1, but the fact that he was behind Gary and Gary was in a defenseless position (plus it was a terrible play on the ball) I think it definitely warrants the Flagrant 2. Gary fell awkwardly and did the super wrong yet very natural attempt at catching himself with an outstretched arm and unfortunately got a fracture. I hate it and don't wish injury on any player. I personally have no qualms with taking injury into account with flagrant punishments, but historically that hasn't been something the NBA does very often. Allen got one game for what I think is a worse foul and I think it was because of how bad the foul was regardless of the injury outcome. I don't know if Brooks truly deserves the additional suspension since I don't think intent was there, but if Brooks does end up getting a one game suspension I can definitely understand why they went that way and I won't have a problem with it. Also Kerr was trying hard to push for a suspension with all of his comments.

As for the Green foul, he also hit Clarke in the head which was a Flagrant 1 like I saw with Brooks, but his extra thing was grabbing Clarke's jersey and throwing him down which elevates it to a Flagrant 2. Clarke was much smarter with his landing in part due to his fall being less awkward, and Dray did help cushion the fall at the end, but the reason the fall became dangerous was because of Green throwing him via the jersey. Green catching Clarke and minimizing injury potential makes this better, and I don't think extra suspension time is warranted beyond the Flagrant 2, but this felt like less of a basketball play even though he was just trying to prevent the continuation shot after he fouled Clarke. If Clarke had gotten injured you'd have the Warriors fans defending Green to answer your question though WT. Just kind of what fans do. Would say he was just trying to prevent the shot and that an injury was unfortunate (kind of like I am doing with Brooks ha). I also think if Clarke had gotten injured we'd be talking about a potential one game suspension for Green though I don't know if it would actually happen.

If you are dead set on comparing the two, I think Green's play was dirtier but Brooks was more dangerous. You have to protect guys when they are flying through the air. Some of the softer superstar calls Morant is getting as of late this season is because of that which is good because he has previously gotten banged up due to people hitting him in the air. Morant has officially reached budding superstar status so the league (and officials) are trying to protect him from injury with the more favorable whistle. Now I love having a guy who can get superstar calls, but really I'm just glad Ja is getting a little protection because before he'd get annihilated in the paint and not get a call which is dangerous. Ultimately both Green and Brooks deserved Flagrant 2s and if I was the league I'd be quick to call both for additional fouls/flagrants moving forward and would tell them as much.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#127 » by VCfor3 » Thu May 5, 2022 7:26 pm

Read on Twitter
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#128 » by jefe » Fri May 6, 2022 12:22 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd have no problem with the suspension if Green had been suspended for one game as well. In any event, "it is what it is" and the series moves forward.

With the way Brooks has been shooting/playing, the suspension may be a blessing in disguise; however, Melton and Z will have to step up, and we need Bane to regain his form. Bane's back issues are common knowledge, but I think it's also worth pointing out that he started the Wolves series slowly and didn't find his groove until game three. Over the course of the regular season, I believe Bane shot better and was more productive on the road. Fingers crossed, he has a big game Saturday night.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#129 » by Whole Truth » Fri May 6, 2022 2:19 pm

Watching first take, 100% agree with Monica.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#130 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri May 6, 2022 5:19 pm

jefe wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd have no problem with the suspension if Green had been suspended for one game as well. In any event, "it is what it is" and the series moves forward.

With the way Brooks has been shooting/playing, the suspension may be a blessing in disguise; however, Melton and Z will have to step up, and we need Bane to regain his form. Bane's back issues are common knowledge, but I think it's also worth pointing out that he started the Wolves series slowly and didn't find his groove until game three. Over the course of the regular season, I believe Bane shot better and was more productive on the road. Fingers crossed, he has a big game Saturday night.

It seems clear that suspensions are handed out when injuries occur. Brooks was suspended because his reckless foul injured GP2. Green wasn't suspended because Clarke wasn't injured from Green's reckless foul.

Fair on both counts, don't you agree?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#131 » by jman3134 » Fri May 6, 2022 5:43 pm

That's a pretty ridiculous standard though. A reckless foul is a reckless foul. I knew that this was coming and is why I have been so mad at Brooks.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#132 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 6, 2022 7:12 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
jefe wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It seems clear that suspensions are handed out when injuries occur. Brooks was suspended because his reckless foul injured GP2. Green wasn't suspended because Clarke wasn't injured from Green's reckless foul.

Yep. If Clarke had been hurt and GP2 had not been then I think Dray would have gotten the extra game and Brooks would get nothing more than the Flagrant 2. This punishment is in line with what happened with Allen. I think both punishments are fair.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#133 » by jefe » Sat May 7, 2022 4:06 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
jefe wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I understand the rationale: you cause a guy to miss (a) game(s) with injury, then you should miss (a) game(s) as well due to causing the other player's absence. However, I disagree with it along the same lines as jman posted: a reckless foul is a reckless foul. Draymond's flagrant foul was reckless and had the potential to cause serious injury - he hit a guy in the face and then dragged him to the ground by his jersey - he effectively horsecollared him in midair. The fact that the potential to cause significant injury did not actually materialize in Draymond's foul is not particularly relevant IMO. If you stand on an Interstate overpass and throw bowling balls of it into moving traffic - you should be punished regardless of whether the bowling ball hits a motorist or not.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#134 » by jman3134 » Sun May 8, 2022 4:03 am

:nonono:
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#135 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 8, 2022 11:37 am

Poole did make an initial play for the ball & there was unlikely intent to injure.

That said. when he missed the ball, he got knee, he proceeded to grab the knee, then proceeded to pull the knee in order to prevent Ja's movement, which then caused injury.

This series is remidning me of when Jonas was dominating Green with the Raptors right before he was injured/traded. Green, with a hard rip down on his arm/hand in a suppsed attempt to "jar" the ball loose, dislocated Jonas thumb, with no foul called I might add ... pretty sure anyone would turn the ball over when you rip their thumb out of place. You don't need that kind of force to strip a ball ... Intent, is in the force used, much like the Clarke rip down.

Green uses that force as a deterent & to make up for what he lacks in size/talent. He hit Clarke in the face before he even brought the ball up to shoot, he knew what he was doing, as he did when he kicked Griffin in the balls ... It's instinctual for most people to back down from that kind of physicality & if Green is nothing else on the court, he's smart.

A non basketball play, while arguably not dirty, intended. just injured a teams best player. What standard did the league just set for this ?.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#136 » by jman3134 » Sun May 8, 2022 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#137 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 8, 2022 4:46 pm

Deep breaths guys. We are all up in our feels on both sides and things are getting toxic. Just take a step back and try to enjoy Ja doing seemingly impossible things. I think he sprained his knee but will be on the court tomorrow. That wasn't enough force and the knee bump didn't seem bad enough to make me too worried that it'll be something serious. Take a day away from basketball and the craziness of both sides or else this series will mess you up. We lock back in tomorrow night.
Cubboo
Rookie
And1: 22

Post#138 » by Cubboo » Sun May 8, 2022 11:55 pm

I'm in with VCfor3. I think everything is just hyper sensitive because of the overall attention to this series.
The toxicity of the GSW fan base and media has just amplified the emotions here.
The Steve Kerr posturing about the Dillon being a "dirty player" and "breaking the code" set the tone, while having the epitome of a dirty player in DGreen. He got the GSW fans worked up and it was effective. He tried to set the narrative to the media and the league to get favorable calls. They called the league office to petition for DB suspension.
Normally the next game would be more closely monitored and slanted for a GSW win. He was playing the political game with the league and won. He is using all the tools he's got to advance and have his team move on.
Now every foul is a "did he do that on purpose to injure?" or "typical physical game" on both sides.
But this what they mean about living in glass houses. Kerr wants to throw rocks but doesn't want the lights shined on his teams activity.
So lets take a breath, and relax a little.
I'm not sure how the series will be officiated going forward, but I think we can presume the last 3 games will not be indicative of what will happen next. We will likely see some wild stuff, because the NBA does not want a brawl on the floor for national TV.
For those of you who still have your Moms, tell them Happy Mother's Day. For those of us who don't, look back on the memories and know why we celebrate this day.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#139 » by SD2042 » Mon May 9, 2022 6:23 pm

Being away for a few days to put things in perspective.

First, the Poole/Morant issue is a slippery slope. I would like to think this wasn't intentional for Poole to up and put the hurt on Morant. That said, it's still a bit hard to judge based on the action itself during the real time. As indicated by others here in the previous posts, the flagrant fouls committed by both Green(Warriors) and Brooks(Grizzlies) respectively have created a bad taste in the series where the politics and the sports drama branching out like an oncoming wildfire. Both teams need to better focus on keeping the game competitive, physical, and as safe as possible with giving the media more narrative bullets for the fans to use for gunfire.

To the Grizzlies, they lost control of the game from the late first quarter to the end of the game. They allow the Warriors to control the pace. They own the rebounding boards for three straight games. Dangerous gamble. They allow the pick and roll to be the Warriors best weapon. Not good. The zone defense needs to be broken. Stop allowing the Warriors lull the team into shooting threes. That's how they're getting baited into that trap. It's a psych job, wake up. Other players need to step up. Be aggressive, take better shots, make better set plays. Get the chemistry back on track.

If Ja is not playing tonight, then do what you do best. Play without him Because they have to learn to rely on themselves on the big stage. Just as the Warriors uppercut this team, the Grizzlies need to uppercut them back in return. It's not over yet. Take this game and they own the momentum.
Cubboo
Rookie
And1: 22

Post#140 » by Cubboo » Mon May 9, 2022 9:14 pm

TRUTH!!

Return to Memphis Grizzlies