ImageImage

2022 Offseason

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Re: 2022 Offseason 

Post#21 » by jefe » Tue May 17, 2022 1:11 pm

I think we ultimately approach this offseason conservatively, banking on internal improvement and maintaining flexibility for the last year that we will likely have it. To that end, we do the following:
1) extend Ja and likely Clarke;
2) use one of our firsts on a PG in case we aren't able to bring Tyus back;
3) try to move the other first to another team in exchange for a future first;
4) use our cap to facilitate other teams' deals in the hope of netting a future first (or two seconds);
5) try our damnest to bring Tyus back on a reasonable deal, but, if not, c'est la vie;
6) let Kyle walk;
7) defer decisions on Brooks, Adams, and Melton until the 22-23 trade deadline.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#22 » by VCfor3 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:25 pm

We have so many ways we can go that it is tough to decide on what realistic path forward I would prefer. But. The more I look at stuff the more I keep coming back to Orlando and their centers. If they draft Chet, I wonder if they try to move WCJ or Bamba. Either one could be good for us, and really it would come down to the cost to acquire each as to which I would prefer. If one is significantly cheaper to get than the other then I'd go with that option.

Granted it was technically the old FO, but we did look hard at WCJ during the draft that year. He struggled in Chicago but has looked great in Orlando. I think he may be able to pair with JJJ long term. He could provide some playmaking like Adams does but also have a 3pt shot. His rebounding percentage is identical to Bamba, and I think he has a higher basketball IQ than Bamba. Per basketball reference, WCJ also has a good bit of weight on Bamba (40lbs) which may be good when we are up against big centers.

Bamba I has the better physical tools, shot blocking, and honestly shot. 5% better from 3. Last year was 8% better from the line though career numbers favor WCJ. eFG is fairly similar for both. Bamba is taller and longer reach. Having him and JJJ would put opposing teams in shot block hell.

I think either one could do well with us. The other option if Orlando does keep both is that maybe that mean Isaac is available. He can play SF, but I always thought he may be seen as a PF/C long term. I wouldn't want to give up much value for him, but a flyer on him could be interesting now that his contract isn't fully guaranteed. He has DPOY potential, but I don't know if his head/heart are in the game enough to amount to much at this point. He's been away from the game for two years and his passion may be elsewhere. But a chance at an elite defensive PF who could maybe guard big wings would be good. If we do inevitably move Brooks, having Isaac who can handle big wings with JJJ as back line defense would help whoever takes over SF if we go with someone a bit more offensive minded. If Brooks stays around then Brooks guards the star guard and Isaac the star forward.
Cubboo
Rookie
And1: 22

Post#23 » by Cubboo » Mon May 23, 2022 9:28 pm

I don't like to try and guess about trades and such, just gets real difficult to project what happens when players change teams.
What I do know:
We have always been "If we only had a reliable backup Point guard".
Well we finally have one and I hope Tyus re-signs for the one year deal.
I think he brings a lot to the table and would be hard, if not impossible, to replace at his price.

Kyle Anderson fits in so many different positions that he is a luxury to have on the team. His long range shot is not dependable, but he just affects the game in so many ways. If brought back, it would likely be in a reduced role. Not sure we can afford the luxury anymore, but would love to keep him.

Those are the 2 main players that have the expiring deal. I'm just anxious to see what ZK has up his sleeve for the draft.
Cubboo
Rookie
And1: 22

Post#24 » by Cubboo » Mon May 23, 2022 9:33 pm

Oh, and I saw someone mention Steven Adams.
I am definitely on board to say he is vital to the success of this team, his screens and picks create so much room for Ja to operate and allow JJJ to roam free on the baseline. He makes the team better. Some of the matchups get the better of him when the other team is athletic (minnesota), but he creates issues for other teams with his size and rebounding.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#25 » by VCfor3 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:52 pm

Read on Twitter
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,815

Post#26 » by psman2 » Fri May 27, 2022 7:29 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess at 29 he could be a thrown in the program and G-league. Likely loses 20+ pounds and gains some more mobility to get on the court. Likely better as a 2nd rounder on a 2 way contract.

I wonder what is the plan is for Aldama. I am surprised he didn't spend more time getting reps in the G-league.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 28, 2022 2:26 am

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess at 29 he could be a thrown in the program and G-league. Likely loses 20+ pounds and gains some more mobility to get on the court. Likely better as a 2nd rounder on a 2 way contract.

I wonder what is the plan is for Aldama. I am surprised he didn't spend more time getting reps in the G-league.

I saw Lofton as maybe an option with our 2nd round pick more than using 29 on him. Totally agree on him being a good 2 way candidate.

I feel like if we do somehow make a consolidation trade, Aldama may get real reps for us next year. Otherwise he may spend some stretches in the g league again this year.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#28 » by MemphisX » Tue May 31, 2022 9:42 am

Summer Offseason Plan

__ Extend Tyus Jones prior to the draft (4 Years/$52 million)
__ Offer Dillon Brooks 4 years/$61.5 million and hope he accepts it
__ Trade #22/Melton/Lottery protected 2024 1st for #11/Kemba Walker
__ Draft Ousmane Dieng at #11 (Assuming Dyson Daniels/Jeremy Sohan/AJ Griffin off the board)
__ Draft Dalen Terry at #29 (Assuming Jaden Hardy/Marjon Beauchamp off the board)
__ Draft Andrew Nembhard at #47 (Two-Way) if Tyus is extended take Kenny Lofton Jr.
__ Sign Isaiah Hartenstein in Free Agency (4 years/$44 million[4th year team option])
__ Extend Ja Morant to a MAX extension
__ Extend BC to 4 years/$48 million (slightly over MLE)

Summer League guys: Ziaire Williams, Santi Aldama, Xavier Tillman, Ousmane Dieng, Dalen Terry, Andrew Nembhard/Kenny Lofton Jr., Tyrell Terry

Opening night roster:

PG Ja Morant/Tyus Jones/Andrew Nembhard/Kemba Walker*
SG Desmond Bane/Ziaire Williams/Dalen Terry
SF Dillon Brooks/Jon Konchar/Ousmane Dieng
PF Jaren Jackson/Brandon Clarke/Santi Aldama
CE Steven Adams/Isaiah Hartenstein/Xavier Tillman

Thoughts:

I think Tyus Jones is a great safety net for limiting Ja's minutes especially after the All Star break.
That is the maximum amount the Grizzlies can offer Dillon and would be a great deal for Memphis.
Trading up from #22 is another bet on getting a big wing for the future.
Dalen Terry is basically 6'7 Melton.
Andrew Nembhard is basically 6'5 Tyus. :lol:
I think Isaiah Hartenstein is one of the best free agents this offseason outside of the All Stars. He is the perfect long term replacement for Steven Adams and his age fits perfectly with the core. Also likely makes X expendable. :(
Extending Ja is a no brainer.
Extending BC at this price would be great as it will allow him to be the 3rd big for the length of the contract.

Locking up all these quality dudes before the new TV deal might give the Grizzlies a chance to play the Free Agent game if there is a cap spike even if Bane EARNS a max extension.

Steven Adams/Kemba Walker expiring deals give the Grizzlies flexibility at the deadline in case an opportunity arises that nobody can foresee. Can tell Kemba to sit at home and promise to release him at after the trade deadline if no deal happens.

If no opportunity arises, then $27 million falls off the cap right as Ja's extension kicks in.

Tillie also gets waived due to his inability to stay healthy. X would be waived if money was needed to sign Hartenstein.

Leaves a two way spot open.

Might want to bring in a veteran wing shooter to play above Konchar but hopefully one of the rookies can grow into that role.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#29 » by VCfor3 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:25 pm

I'd want to offer Hartenstein less. Not opposed to giving him a chance, but I fear that contract could bite us in down the road if he isn't able to consistently produce. If we are offering that then something like the last two years mostly unguaranteed to help protect ourselves may need to be included.
psman2
General Manager

Post#30 » by psman2 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 5:06 pm

MemphisX wrote:Summer Offseason Plan

__ Extend Tyus Jones prior to the draft (4 Years/$52 million)
__ Offer Dillon Brooks 4 years/$61.5 million and hope he accepts it
__ Trade #22/Melton/Lottery protected 2024 1st for #11/Kemba Walker
__ Draft Ousmane Dieng at #11 (Assuming Dyson Daniels/Jeremy Sohan/AJ Griffin off the board)
__ Draft Dalen Terry at #29 (Assuming Jaden Hardy/Marjon Beauchamp off the board)
__ Draft Andrew Nembhard at #47 (Two-Way) if Tyus is extended take Kenny Lofton Jr.
__ Sign Isaiah Hartenstein in Free Agency (4 years/$44 million[4th year team option])
__ Extend Ja Morant to a MAX extension
__ Extend BC to 4 years/$48 million (slightly over MLE)

Summer League guys: Ziaire Williams, Santi Aldama, Xavier Tillman, Ousmane Dieng, Dalen Terry, Andrew Nembhard/Kenny Lofton Jr., Tyrell Terry

Opening night roster:

Thoughts:

I think Tyus Jones is a great safety net for limiting Ja's minutes especially after the All Star break.
That is the maximum amount the Grizzlies can offer Dillon and would be a great deal for Memphis.
I think Isaiah Hartenstein is one of the best free agents this offseason outside of the All Stars. He is the perfect long term replacement for Steven Adams and his age fits perfectly with the core. Also likely makes X expendable. :(
Extending Ja is a no brainer.
Extending BC at this price would be great as it will allow him to be the 3rd big for the length of the contract.

Locking up all these quality dudes before the new TV deal might give the Grizzlies a chance to play the Free Agent game if there is a cap spike even if Bane EARNS a max extension.

Steven Adams/Kemba Walker expiring deals give the Grizzlies flexibility at the deadline in case an opportunity arises that nobody can foresee. Can tell Kemba to sit at home and promise to release him at after the trade deadline if no deal happens.

If no opportunity arises, then $27 million falls off the cap right as Ja's extension kicks in.

Tillie also gets waived due to his inability to stay healthy. X would be waived if money was needed to sign Hartenstein.

Leaves a two way spot open.

Might want to bring in a veteran wing shooter to play above Konchar but hopefully one of the rookies can grow into that role.

We cannot negotiate a contract with Jones until FA starts. I am sure his agent already has an idea of what we are going to be putting on the table, but official contract terms cannot be exchanged or signed until FA starts.

Brooks is tough...for us to take the next step as a team he has to take a step up. I am more open than ever to trading him, especially if he turns down a team friendly extension like you are proposing which I think he would. Wings get paid even with flaws.

I think your trade up is valued about right for both teams, but I don't think NY should be breaking 11 into smaller pieces. I like Dieng as a target, might be a little high for him but is upside imo is higher than most if not all players in that draft range.

I love Hartenstein, especially if his 3 ball is real. I think full MLE might be little high, but I would still be in favor of this signing, but I rather move off Adams since his role/need would be greatly reduced if we bring him in.

I think BC is likely wanting around 4/60 now to extend. With the cap increasing the next few years and next year a ton of teams are expected to have cap space when he is a FA. I don't think he takes a contract that is only a few million more than a full MLE offer and forgo exploring free agency.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 11:42 pm

Hollinger and Duncan podcast talked about Hartenstein today. They love him and thought he could have multiple MLE offers. I was worried about his defense but they mentioned he has really developed into a great rim protecter the last few years (I mainly watched him when he was first in the league) so I think I can get fully on board with your target. Good call MemphisX. Between him and Bamba I could see us having a shot at nailing down a long term center option.
psman2
General Manager

Post#32 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 2, 2022 4:00 am

VCfor3 wrote:Hollinger and Duncan podcast talked about Hartenstein today. They love him and thought he could have multiple MLE offers. I was worried about his defense but they mentioned he has really developed into a great rim protecter the last few years (I mainly watched him when he was first in the league) so I think I can get fully on board with your target. Good call MemphisX. Between him and Bamba I could see us having a shot at nailing down a long term center option.

When he was coming up with Houston in the G league they let him loose shooting the 3 ball. Only a 5 game sample his 2nd year but 46% of 6.4 attempts. They say in practice he is always one of the better 3pt shooters but the coaches have never given him the green light over his short career. He starting takes some this year over the last few weeks of the season at a good rate. I really think he could be a plus shooter for his next team. I think he tops out as maybe a top 15 center but if you can get that for 10m a year then it's a gamble worth taking. I would be a little hesitant on the full 4 years GTD though.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 370

Post#33 » by esvl » Sun Jun 5, 2022 8:43 am

jefe wrote:I think we ultimately approach this offseason conservatively, banking on internal improvement and maintaining flexibility for the last year that we will likely have it. To that end, we do the following:
1) extend Ja and likely Clarke;
2) use one of our firsts on a PG in case we aren't able to bring Tyus back;
3) try to move the other first to another team in exchange for a future first;
4) use our cap to facilitate other teams' deals in the hope of netting a future first (or two seconds);
5) try our damnest to bring Tyus back on a reasonable deal, but, if not, c'est la vie;
6) let Kyle walk;
7) defer decisions on Brooks, Adams, and Melton until the 22-23 trade deadline.

I have to agree with this plan as the most reasonable and practical, unless the offseason presents FO with a surprising opportunity hard to ignore.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by esvl » Sun Jun 5, 2022 8:44 am

VCfor3 wrote:Hollinger and Duncan podcast talked about Hartenstein today. They love him and thought he could have multiple MLE offers. I was worried about his defense but they mentioned he has really developed into a great rim protecter the last few years (I mainly watched him when he was first in the league) so I think I can get fully on board with your target. Good call MemphisX. Between him and Bamba I could see us having a shot at nailing down a long term center option.

Count me in on Hartenstein, too.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by esvl » Sun Jun 5, 2022 8:55 am

MemphisX wrote:Summer Offseason Plan

Opening night roster:

Thoughts:

Just a few comments on the above part, if I may:

1. No way NYK might trade #11 for Melton + picks. I will pray to be wrong though.
2. ZW is SG?
3. Dieng is the least attractive prospect available within top-15.
4. Terry seems like a light version of Daniels, but he might have some red flags, otherwise, why he isn’t in a top-25 with his profile?
5. I am good with Lofton.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by esvl » Tue Jun 7, 2022 7:45 am

Could Ben Simmons still be in the area of our interest? Skill-wise, he seems like a perfect replacement of Kyle’s and Jones’ roles - big wing and backup pg. Do we feel mentally strong enough to “process” him in our healthy, happy system?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#37 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jun 7, 2022 10:54 am

esvl wrote:Could Ben Simmons still be in the area of our interest? Skill-wise, he seems like a perfect replacement of Kyle’s and Jones’ roles - big wing and backup pg. Do we feel mentally strong enough to “process” him in our healthy, happy system?

I'm not sure we'd want to give up much to find out. He is a big risk that could really hurt our finances if he doesn't pan out.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by esvl » Tue Jun 7, 2022 12:34 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:Could Ben Simmons still be in the area of our interest? Skill-wise, he seems like a perfect replacement of Kyle’s and Jones’ roles - big wing and backup pg. Do we feel mentally strong enough to “process” him in our healthy, happy system?

I'm not sure we'd want to give up much to find out. He is a big risk that could really hurt our finances if he doesn't pan out.

Adams + Brooks + 29 is my idea of what our offer could be. It would look like a typical “high risk - high reward” move. If Ben bounces back - we are a top-contender by any stretch of imagination. If he fails on the other end - we are in trouble, yes.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by esvl » Tue Jun 7, 2022 3:21 pm

Kennedy Chandler is my safe pick for #22. His quickness, both in decision-making and legs, is his main advantage imho.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#40 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jun 7, 2022 3:55 pm

esvl wrote:Kennedy Chandler is my safe pick for #22. His quickness, both in decision-making and legs, is his main advantage imho.

I'd prefer him at 29 personally. I think we will have someone drop to 22 that we should consider more.

We also are working out Eason who seems like someone we could target in a potential move up.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies