ImageImage

Lesson to learn

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 370

Lesson to learn 

Post#1 » by esvl » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:17 pm

This young FO and ownership has to learn that you need to stand behind your players if you want to keep their sole and spirit up even and especially when they make mistakes and get attacked or judged.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Re: Lesson to learn 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:20 pm

What exactly did you want handled differently with Ja? I don't think anything our FO and ownership did or didn't do regarding Ja had any effect of outcome this year. Fully healthy we win that series, or if Brooks just shot just bad instead of terrible we win this series.
iconoclastism
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#3 » by iconoclastism » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:59 pm

It hurts me to say this. Ja from Murray State. The Ohio Valley and the Missouri Valley are my favorite conferences. But Ja is turning to be a higher end LaMelo Ball. Highlight hoopers who fit the Globetrotters instead of the NBA>
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by esvl » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:42 pm

psman2 wrote:What exactly did you want handled differently with Ja? I don't think anything our FO and ownership did or didn't do regarding Ja had any effect of outcome this year. Fully healthy we win that series, or if Brooks just shot just bad instead of terrible we win this series.

Unlike all years before, I didn’t see fire in Ja or Dillon’s eyes which I am interpreting as a chemistry problem between them and FO. I see no other feasible explanation. Do you? If I am right, then I incline to blame immature FO rather than Ja and Dillon who I have known for quite some time.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by esvl » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:44 pm

iconoclastism wrote:It hurts me to say this. Ja from Murray State. The Ohio Valley and the Missouri Valley are my favorite conferences. But Ja is turning to be a higher end LaMelo Ball. Highlight hoopers who fit the Globetrotters instead of the NBA>

Go back to the Lakers block man.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:25 pm

iconoclastism wrote:It hurts me to say this. Ja from Murray State. The Ohio Valley and the Missouri Valley are my favorite conferences. But Ja is turning to be a higher end LaMelo Ball. Highlight hoopers who fit the Globetrotters instead of the NBA>

He had a rough patch this year for sure, but I think he'll come back from this and be stronger for it. He said all the right things in the exit interview and took ownership. Historically he finds a way to overcome the challenges in front of him. I still ride with Ja.

As for the FO, I think they have been trying to work with Ja for a while with a lot of this but it came to a head. I agree that it likely strained the relationship between Ja and the FO, but I think that relationship can and will be repaired. If Ja uses this as a wakeup call and grows from it, it will be worth it in the long run. The FO though has an important summer ahead of them. They switched to a more win now approach at the deadline but couldn't find a trade partner. They have to find a way to set us up for a proper playoff run which starts with upgrading SF. If fully healthy I think our team has a chance any year for a championship, but there isn't much room for error. We need additional creation beyond Ja driving to the basket for when opposing teams just camp the paint.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#7 » by SD2042 » Mon May 1, 2023 9:52 pm

I will say this. This season the Grizzlies went through should serve as a cautionary tale to know your limits. Know the difference between confidence and arrogance. That's been the Grizzlies issue thus earning the reputation of most hated team in the league. Unfortunately, it's well deserved as some fans of other NBA teams will continue to remind the Grizzlies for the remainder. To the embarrassing defeat in the playoffs, it's karmatic as it should serve as a sobering experience and lesson this young Grizzlies team should take to heart. It's time to grow up.

As for the aftermath, I still believe this team is well part of the future for many years. As long as they realize how much advantages they have as a young team with more playoff experiences. They will need to humble themselves in a serious way. Learn how to navigate the game much better as they did this season. Approach the trash talk on the hardwood and leave it there. Never give the media any soundbites that will come back as a haunted ghost and walk you down to the abyss. Learn better productive ways to get better as players. Coaches need to learn better strategies to help your players win games. Accountability and discipline must be emphasis better with this team. So I expect the organization to take a long look in the mirror this offseason and make decisions to how to approach next season with a strong mindset, but as players individually.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Wed May 3, 2023 10:49 pm

This is a nadir for our franchise, but it is only up from here! Our team was literally carried by our big 3, and these young players continue to improve. Our core is solid. We have a front office that is willing to put it all out there, as I think they realized that the clock is ticking on prime Ja. They offered multiple firsts (think it was 4) for Bridges and were simply turned down on a deal that probably worked well for all parties. Someone on TO is also a potential target and would synergistically fit with what we have. We need proven parts that work. It is nice to draft well and have solid component parts, but when you are contending, it is better to have experienced role players to pair with young stars. That lesson played out this season. Moving forward, we need Konchar out of the rotation, and we need to pick up a bunch of role players, even picking some from overseas ie Torrey Craig, if need be. We can do this!

As for the front office and if they are at fault with how they handled Brooks: I think they likely did Dillon a favor by telling him that they were not bringing him back. The rest of the team likely caught wind of this, so DB's agent probably "leaked" this to preserve his client's value and change the narrative for FA. It is much to do about nothing. The question has always been whether or not there would be a bit of a fracture with Ja if/when the FO didn't resign Brooks. I think this whole episode is just bad timing because of the way we went out, and I could easily imagine that Ja and the rest of the team might suspect the FO doesn't have their back because they did not choose to re-up who they feel is a critical part of their success. However, the results spoke for themselves, and DB is not happy with his role on the Grizzlies, so ultimately it is a win-win scenario to part ways. I think this departure needed to happen (and should have happened last year or even the year before), but it will be important for the FO to repair any fractures to their relationship with Ja, if they exist.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by jman3134 » Thu May 4, 2023 4:07 am

Just to clarify a point here: it looks like this entire DB situation is an example of yellow journalism. DB's agent has refuted the report altogether. Seems like the whole thing is made up. Still don't understand why Grizz don't refute the report as well (but maybe they will). Another attempt by the news media to drive a wedge between team and FO. Unfortunate that they are not called to task for spreading lies and causing unfounded backlash.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by esvl » Thu May 4, 2023 12:50 pm

SD2042 wrote:I will say this. This season the Grizzlies went through should serve as a cautionary tale to know your limits. Know the difference between confidence and arrogance. That's been the Grizzlies issue thus earning the reputation of most hated team in the league. Unfortunately, it's well deserved as some fans of other NBA teams will continue to remind the Grizzlies for the remainder. To the embarrassing defeat in the playoffs, it's karmatic as it should serve as a sobering experience and lesson this young Grizzlies team should take to heart. It's time to grow up.

As for the aftermath, I still believe this team is well part of the future for many years. As long as they realize how much advantages they have as a young team with more playoff experiences. They will need to humble themselves in a serious way. Learn how to navigate the game much better as they did this season. Approach the trash talk on the hardwood and leave it there. Never give the media any soundbites that will come back as a haunted ghost and walk you down to the abyss. Learn better productive ways to get better as players. Coaches need to learn better strategies to help your players win games. Accountability and discipline must be emphasis better with this team. So I expect the organization to take a long look in the mirror this offseason and make decisions to how to approach next season with a strong mindset, but as players individually.

There are 30 good teams in this league, in case you haven’t noticed. If you want your small crappy franchise to beat all of them, you should allow your young core to feel ambitious and equal to the proven stars. That’s how it works in real life: you challenge yourself, then you challenge the leaders, you go over the limits, that is how you get a chance to become the one. You will be hated by your competitors - it’s ok - it is an indication that they are afraid of you. If you want to stay a good boy/girl and be humble, not to irritate those on the top, that’s the path to the hole of nowhere.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Thu May 4, 2023 2:07 pm

As you said, irritating them is a consequence of them feeling threatened. However, the issue that a lot of the Grizz fans on here and in general have is that the first (and most important) thing was not held in the highest regard. Yes, they wanted to win, as we do every year, but the focus wasn't completely there, as they fell for the news media's bait and let it get to them. This is why we need role players with experience that can provide a strong lockerroom presence - guys who have won before or are simply winning players.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by esvl » Fri May 5, 2023 12:45 am

jman3134 wrote:As you said, irritating them is a consequence of them feeling threatened. However, the issue that a lot of the Grizz fans on here and in general have is that the first (and most important) thing was not held in the highest regard. Yes, they wanted to win, as we do every year, but the focus wasn't completely there, as they fell for the news media's bait and let it get to them. This is why we need role players with experience that can provide a strong lockerroom presence - guys who have won before or are simply winning players.

I don’t mind having veterans. What I am against is blaming kids and judging them against high expectations of “fans” where such expectations surprisingly to me were extended beyond winning games to limits of socially acceptable behaviour. Many Griz fans, new and old, wanted kids to challenge leaders, become champions, but were not prepared to be disliked by Lakers fans and ESPN whores. Ja showed the gun… in America… OMG!!! … he might be crazy… Nobody stood up and said FKYU all we are the Grizzlies fans and players together in good and bad. No real fan or man left in this clown world. It cannot be saved.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Fri May 5, 2023 5:20 am

We all stand with Ja I believe - I certainly do. We just don't want him to give these idiots ammunition. Supporting teams and players doesn't mean you have to necessarily agree with every behavior. You can still be critical and say, "He probably shouldn't have done that, but I'm riding with him until the end." That's where I am at.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#14 » by jefe » Fri May 5, 2023 12:30 pm

Is this thread about the Ja gun incident? I am a bit confused having read through it. If it is, I don't know what more one could want from the front office and Ja, for that matter, to do in response to it. Obviously, it would have been better if it never happened to begin with. In retrospect, it seems like the Ja gun incident was simply the "tip of the iceberg" as it relates to the team as a whole not being focused on the road throughout the season. Experience is the best teacher, and you hope that Ja and our guys learn and grow from this year.

If the argument is that Ja and the Grizz org should have simply ignored the incident and flipped the bird to the media and the NBA, ... well, I think that's an incredibly naive and ultimately reckless position to take. Particularly in light of the spate of seemingly random gun violence we've had in Memphis (and the US as a whole) in the last eight months or so.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 5, 2023 12:34 pm

SD2042 wrote:I will say this. This season the Grizzlies went through should serve as a cautionary tale to know your limits. Know the difference

...it should serve as a sobering experience and lesson this young Grizzlies team should take to heart. It's time to grow up.

Here, here brother. And a little humility never hurt anyone.

The team (and its star) got really good really quickly and they lost focus of how difficult it is to consistently win in this league.

You guys have a great core and with some minor shuffling of personnel, you should be back in the mix sooner than later.

Any thoughts on changing coaches and grabbing one of the NBA title winning guys in Budenholzer or Nurse?
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#16 » by jefe » Fri May 5, 2023 12:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Any thoughts on changing coaches and grabbing one of the NBA title winning guys in Budenholzer or Nurse?

I think it's a year too soon. Jenkins will get another year and, if there's a disappointing end to next season, then he's probably fired in favor of finding a new voice in the lockerroom.

Jenkins isn't a bad coach per se. He's put together a staff that has done wonders in terms of player development. His shortcomings are as an in-game tactician. He fails to adjust and adapt quickly enough in playoff series, and he adheres to his preset rotations without any regard for a player's particular performance on any given night. I've not watched the Bucks closely enough, but it is my understanding that many of Jenkins's shortcomings in this regard come from Coach Bud, who is know for the same things.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by esvl » Sat May 6, 2023 4:15 pm

jefe wrote:Is this thread about the Ja gun incident? I am a bit confused having read through it. If it is, I don't know what more one could want from the front office and Ja, for that matter, to do in response to it. Obviously, it would have been better if it never happened to begin with. In retrospect, it seems like the Ja gun incident was simply the "tip of the iceberg" as it relates to the team as a whole not being focused on the road throughout the season. Experience is the best teacher, and you hope that Ja and our guys learn and grow from this year.

If the argument is that Ja and the Grizz org should have simply ignored the incident and flipped the bird to the media and the NBA, ... well, I think that's an incredibly naive and ultimately reckless position to take. Particularly in light of the spate of seemingly random gun violence we've had in Memphis (and the US as a whole) in the last eight months or so.

Are you similarly connecting someone who appears cutting pickles on TV with knife-used crimes?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 6, 2023 4:58 pm

jefe wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I think it's a year too soon. Jenkins will get another year and, if there's a disappointing end to next season, then he's probably fired in favor of finding a new voice in the lockerroom.

Jenkins isn't a bad coach per se. He's put together a staff that has done wonders in terms of player development. His shortcomings are as an in-game tactician. He fails to adjust and adapt quickly enough in playoff series, and he adheres to his preset rotations without any regard for a player's particular performance on any given night. I've not watched the Bucks closely enough, but it is my understanding that many of Jenkins's shortcomings in this regard come from Coach Bud, who is know for the same things.

Completely agree with all of this.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#19 » by psman2 » Sat May 6, 2023 5:05 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
jefe wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Completely agree with all of this.

Yep. Too many factors outside of his control this season to can him now. Now, if we had lost to the Lakers at full health even with the off court distraction then maybe I could see us considering making a move now. But I think if we don't advance to the WCF next season then his job is for sure in jeopardy.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#20 » by SD2042 » Sun May 7, 2023 12:35 am

esvl wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I will say this. This season the Grizzlies went through should serve as a cautionary tale to know your limits. Know the difference between confidence and arrogance. That's been the Grizzlies issue thus earning the reputation of most hated team in the league. Unfortunately, it's well deserved as some fans of other NBA teams will continue to remind the Grizzlies for the remainder. To the embarrassing defeat in the playoffs, it's karmatic as it should serve as a sobering experience and lesson this young Grizzlies team should take to heart. It's time to grow up.

There are 30 good teams in this league, in case you haven’t noticed. If you want your small crappy franchise to beat all of them, you should allow your young core to feel ambitious and equal to the proven stars. That’s how it works in real life: you challenge yourself, then you challenge the leaders, you go over the limits, that is how you get a chance to become the one. You will be hated by your competitors - it’s ok - it is an indication that they are afraid of you. If you want to stay a good boy/girl and be humble, not to irritate those on the top, that’s the path to the hole of nowhere.

The point here is that while it's great to hold confidence in yourself all the time. It doesn't mean you get to the point of allowing the ego to take over in the driver's seat and drive you over the edge to an arrogant defeat. That's what I meant by know your limits. Trash talk will always be part of the game. That part is not the issue. The issue is bringing the trash talk into the media setting, thus indirectly placing pressure on yourself and the team if the team fails to back it up. Unfortunately what did happened in the series against the Lakers. The cautionary tale to learn from is to never give the media a soundbite that may come back to haunt you at the wrong time.

That said, this team still has youth on their side. This journey is full of experiences both good and bad. On the goods, keep capitalizing on them and be accountable, tactful, and have some fun while doing what they do best. On the bad, learn from those mistakes, work even harder than necessary, take those next steps to redemption starting next season. Right now, they just need to reflect and keep working on that canvas that will one day turn into their own masterpiece.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies