ImageImage

Dillon Brooks era is over

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Dillon Brooks era is over 

Post#1 » by esvl » Thu May 4, 2023 12:58 am

Once the Core 4 had ended, Dillon was the one who retained the GNG soul passed to him by Tony Allen and carried it with honour till that PO. It was solely Dillon who didn’t allow the young Grizzlies to start from scratch after the Core 4 era, but rather to remain at the level to which the Grandfather almost solely brought that toothless, faceless, pathetic franchise. Now Dillon is gone and my hope is that this franchise will not fall into the s*** where Tony had first found it. Though I wouldn’t be too surprised given how rotten the current fanbase has become.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Dillon Brooks era is over 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 5, 2023 1:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 5, 2023 1:11 pm

I don't have any strong feelings on the guy. I do believe his behavior eventually became a distraction for a team struggling to regain its momentum. But I'd consider adding him to a veteran team with a strong locker room...for the right price.

NOTE: Seems like all the great teams have at least one intense, abrasive, polarizing player to be the tough guy and do the dirty work. (Smart in Boston, Draymond in GSW, JR Smith in Cleveland.)

Brooks seems like he fits that role well.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by esvl » Sat May 6, 2023 1:23 pm

Twitter boys know best
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 6, 2023 5:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I don't have any strong feelings on the guy. I do believe his behavior eventually became a distraction for a team struggling to regain its momentum. But I'd consider adding him to a veteran team with a strong locker room...for the right price.

NOTE: Seems like all the great teams have at least one intense, abrasive, polarizing player to be the tough guy and do the dirty work. (Smart in Boston, Draymond in GSW, JR Smith in Cleveland.)

Brooks seems like he fits that role well.

I agree. Lakers, Philly, Suns, and maybe Denver are a few off the top of my head that could really use him. Cleveland needs a SF but I don't love the fit there. Having him as a defensive option for those teams could be nice for certain matchups.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by esvl » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:39 pm

DB’s performance in Houston has shown his haters that winning and shooting are two freaking different things. Happy for him.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

Post#7 » by RingoKid » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:10 pm

Adams and Brooks were the heart and soul of the Grizz and Jenkins threw both under the bus.

Loved me some Villainous antics. Ambivalent about Ja. Disappointed with Trip. Respect for Des. Speedy recovery for Adams.

Irrationally sports hate Jenkins.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#8 » by jefe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:34 pm

esvl wrote:DB’s performance in Houston has shown his haters that winning and shooting are two freaking different things. Happy for him.

How so? He's literally having the best shooting splits of his entire career so far in Houston. He's currently at 55/53/84. It obviously won't last for the rest of the season unless he somehow became Steph Curry overnight, but they're eye-popping numbers that he never ever came close to approaching in Memphis over 6 years.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,832

Post#9 » by psman2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:07 pm

jefe wrote:
esvl wrote:DB’s performance in Houston has shown his haters that winning and shooting are two freaking different things. Happy for him.

How so? He's literally having the best shooting splits of his entire career so far in Houston. He's currently at 55/53/84. It obviously won't last for the rest of the season unless he somehow became Steph Curry overnight, but they're eye-popping numbers that he never ever came close to approaching in Memphis over 6 years.

Plus his usage is at an all time low. He had plenty of opportunities to step into this role here, a lesser role here with refined shot selection. Many of use stated that if Brooks makes these types of changes to his game he would be a good player for us that we should keep him. He just couldn’t flip that switch here, sometimes you just need a change in scenery to have some clarity.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by esvl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:57 pm

psman2 wrote:
jefe wrote:

Plus his usage is at an all time low. He had plenty of opportunities to step into this role here, a lesser role here with refined shot selection. Many of use stated that if Brooks makes these types of changes to his game he would be a good player for us that we should keep him. He just couldn’t flip that switch here, sometimes you just need a change in scenery to have some clarity.

Just recognize guys that Brooks was heavily under-appreciated at least during last two seasons in Memphis. The whole Griz fanbase, except me, owes him apologies.
psman2
General Manager

Post#11 » by psman2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:13 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
jefe wrote:How so? He's literally having the best shooting splits of his entire career so far in Houston. He's currently at 55/53/84. It obviously won't last for the rest of the season unless he somehow became Steph Curry overnight, but they're eye-popping numbers that he never ever came close to approaching in Memphis over 6 years.

Just recognize guys that Brooks was heavily under-appreciated at least during last two seasons in Memphis. The whole Griz fanbase, except me, owes him apologies.

I disagree with this. No offense ESVL but you can appreciate a player at the same time as being critical of them. If Brooks played like he is currently playing with Houston while his last two seasons he would still be a Grizzly now. He wasted his opportunity here to step into a role that best suited him. I don't think we owe him anything anymore.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by esvl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:06 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I disagree with this. No offense ESVL but you can apricate a player at the same time as being critical of them. If Brooks played like he is currently playing with Houston while his last two seasons he would still be a Grizzly now. He wasted his opportunity here to step into a role that best suited him. I don't think we owe he anything anymore.

Brooks was the one who didn’t let the franchisee sink after the core 4 got de-assembled. Not Ja (though he should be blamed next), not Kleiman, not Jenkins. That was DB - often at the cost of individual stats. Now you have Bane with perfect stats - I hope you are enjoying the team that lost the GNG identity that made it special. To me, it was obvious how impactful Brooks is. Apparently, not for anyone else. As a result, we are where we are.
psman2
General Manager

Post#13 » by psman2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:27 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

I disagree with this. No offense ESVL but you can apricate a player at the same time as being critical of them. If Brooks played like he is currently playing with Houston while his last two seasons he would still be a Grizzly now. He wasted his opportunity here to step into a role that best suited him. I don't think we owe he anything anymore.

Brooks was the one who didn’t let the franchisee sink after the core 4 got de-assembled. Not Ja (though he should be blamed next), not Kleiman, not Jenkins. That was DB - often at the cost of individual stats. Now you have Bane with perfect stats - I hope you are enjoying the team. To me, it was obvious how impactful Brooks is. Apparently, not for anyone else. As a result, we are where we are.

We are where we are at because of Ja mostly....that is correct. But we are also where we are at because we shed talent the last 3 years, missed for the most part on our our last two drafts so far, and devastated with injuries and a suspension. With Ja/Brooks/Tyus/Adams/Clarke being replaced Smart/ and a bunch of unproven youth is why we are where we are. Brooks is maybe at most 15% of the reason we are where we are. If Brooks was still on our roster we likely have only one more win, we still would huge holes at PG and center that he doesn't begin to remedy.

We are using a 2 way player and a street free agent to fill our pressing holes right now, we needed to be more proactive this past offseason than we were. We had the full MLE and the Brooks SNT to work with and all our future picks, and all we have to show for all that ability to improve the team is a hurt Derrick Rose. Our front office stated they would be aggressive in improving our team, the Smart trade was a good 1st step, but that was simply the 1st of likely 3 rotation players we needed to add to this team.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by esvl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:04 pm

What can I say. This fanbase fully deserves the current team then, if best of its best think that way. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Ja requests the trade soon after his return as nobody here appreciates or even cares about the tough character or GNG identity anymore, as well as the difference between shooting and winning.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

Post#15 » by RingoKid » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:15 pm

It all comes from the Coach.

Jenkins didn't reel Dillon in and so gave him the green light to do whatever. He couldn't coach Trip to not foul. He didn't reel Ja in and allowed his culture of entitlement to mutate into dangerous territory. He went away from Adams doing all the things that got Memphis a number 2 seed and ruined the vibe in the playoffs.

And then he scapegoats Dillon and threw him under the bus for his own lack of talent by not defending him when he was told Memphis didn't want him back under any circumstances.

Show me one playoff series where Jenkins wasn't outschemed and outclassed to play into the opposing coaches game and lose.

The guy cracks under pressure and shys away from the bright light intensity of the post season.

Dillon, Adams, Trip and Ja deserved better than this clown of a coach. At least Brooks now has Udoka to keep him in line and play to his strengths. That's what a good coach does and what Jenkins doesn't do.

Can't wait to see the back end of Coach J when karma shows him the door outta Memphis.
jefe
General Manager

Post#16 » by jefe » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:05 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Brooks was the one who didn’t let the franchisee sink after the core 4 got de-assembled. Not Ja (though he should be blamed next), not Kleiman, not Jenkins. That was DB - often at the cost of individual stats. Now you have Bane with perfect stats - I hope you are enjoying the team that lost the GNG identity that made it special. To me, it was obvious how impactful Brooks is. Apparently, not for anyone else. As a result, we are where we are.

What are you talking about? He was drafted in 2017 - we went 20-62 his rookie year. After his rookie year, we drafted JJJ and we went 33-49 and missed the playoffs. Incidentally, his second year - the year the team won 13 more games than his rookie year - he only played in 18 games.

After his second year, we draft Ja (and hire Jenkins) and qualify for the pandemic play-in in the bubble. He didn't start making postseason appearances until Ja arrived. His team didn't have winning records until Ja arrived.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by esvl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:37 pm

jefe wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:

What are you talking about? He was drafted in 2017 - we went 20-62 his rookie year. After his rookie year, we drafted JJJ and we went 33-49 and missed the playoffs. Incidentally, his second year - the year the team won 13 more games than his rookie year - he only played in 18 games.

After his second year, we draft Ja (and hire Jenkins) and qualify for the pandemic play-in in the bubble. He didn't start making postseason appearances until Ja arrived. His team didn't have winning records until Ja arrived.

I am talking about Dillon Brooks whose character was a backbone of the franchise recent success. I trust my eyes way more than stats and records, unlike the other Grizz fans who see nothing but Bane’s stats. If you wanna make an argument that JJJ or Jenkins in their rookie years magically changed this franchise to the best, I believe we need to wait for this miracle again. It’s coming, isn’t?
jefe
General Manager

Post#18 » by jefe » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:41 am

esvl wrote:
jefe wrote:
esvl wrote:

I am talking about Dillon Brooks whose character was a backbone of the franchise recent success. I trust my eyes way more than stats and records, unlike the other Grizz fans who see nothing but Bane’s stats. If you wanna make an argument that JJJ or Jenkins in their rookie years magically changed this franchise to the best, I believe we need to wait for this miracle again. It’s coming, isn’t?

How do you judge or quantify success other than by looking at record?
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by esvl » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:23 am

jefe wrote:
esvl wrote:
jefe wrote:

How do you judge or quantify success other than by looking at record?

I don’t think the answer to this question might add significant value to our debate.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by esvl » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:08 pm

Dillon finished Memphis yesterday in such an epic manner. Applauding.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies