psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,826

Re: Grizzlies Offseason 2023 

Post#21 » by psman2 » Sat May 27, 2023 6:14 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Landing Spots for NBA's Most Intriguing Free Agents

Kyle Kuzma (Player Option): Memphis Grizzlies

Kyle Kuzma is in line for a serious payday upon declining his $13 million player option. His outside shooting remains shaky, but he has developed into a solid defender and jacked up his driving and playmaking this year while effectively incorporating some change-of-pace sweep-hook-layup-type shots.

Even after dispensing with general manager Tommy Sheppard, the Washington Wizards have every incentive to re-sign the 27-year-old. They should have flipped him at the trade deadline if they weren't going to keep him. Letting him walk now, for nothing, would be a disaster.

At the same time, Kuzma should have his pick of the litter. Select cap-space spenders can easily talk themselves into prioritizing his services. Equally important, he has the leverage to coax Washington into sign-and-trades if he prefers a destination that can't scoop him up outright.

Hello, Memphis Grizzlies.

This marriage makes almost too much sense—for both sides. The Grizzlies already needed combo-wing depth. They need it even more after telling Dillon Brooks to hit the road.

Kuzma skews more combo forward than true wing. That's OK. Frontlines featuring him, Steven Adams and Jaren Jackson Jr. can still work, and the Kuz-JJJ 4-5 minutes would be divine.

Whether Memphis has the spacing to buoy Kuzma's offensive strengths is debatable. It's a lot closer after parting ways with Brooks and acquiring Luke Kennard at the trade deadline.

Affordability is a potential roadblock, just not a big one. The Grizzlies don't have cap space but boast the goodies necessary to engage the Wizards in sign-and-trade talks.

Other Potential Destinations: Indiana, Sacramento, Utah
Bleacher Report

I wouldn't have mind a trade for Kuz at the deadline where we only had to send out Green for salary matching. Now we are likely going to have to use one of Jones or Adams and hope to rope in a SNT Brooks into the deal as well. I wouldn't want to really trade either guy, that just creates a new hole for us. We need a guy that can at least attempt to guard the best wing on the floor, that is not Kuzma. He is a decent defender but his best spot defensively is likely PF. We must have a SF that can guard 1-3, Kuz is more like a lux add which at this point would be a low priority.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#22 » by jefe » Sat May 27, 2023 2:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Landing Spots for NBA's Most Intriguing Free Agents

Kyle Kuzma (Player Option): Memphis Grizzlies

Kyle Kuzma is in line for a serious payday upon declining his $13 million player option. His outside shooting remains shaky, but he has developed into a solid defender and jacked up his driving and playmaking this year while effectively incorporating some change-of-pace sweep-hook-layup-type shots.

Even after dispensing with general manager Tommy Sheppard, the Washington Wizards have every incentive to re-sign the 27-year-old. They should have flipped him at the trade deadline if they weren't going to keep him. Letting him walk now, for nothing, would be a disaster.

At the same time, Kuzma should have his pick of the litter. Select cap-space spenders can easily talk themselves into prioritizing his services. Equally important, he has the leverage to coax Washington into sign-and-trades if he prefers a destination that can't scoop him up outright.

Hello, Memphis Grizzlies.

This marriage makes almost too much sense—for both sides. The Grizzlies already needed combo-wing depth. They need it even more after telling Dillon Brooks to hit the road.

Kuzma skews more combo forward than true wing. That's OK. Frontlines featuring him, Steven Adams and Jaren Jackson Jr. can still work, and the Kuz-JJJ 4-5 minutes would be divine.

Whether Memphis has the spacing to buoy Kuzma's offensive strengths is debatable. It's a lot closer after parting ways with Brooks and acquiring Luke Kennard at the trade deadline.

Affordability is a potential roadblock, just not a big one. The Grizzlies don't have cap space but boast the goodies necessary to engage the Wizards in sign-and-trade talks.

Other Potential Destinations: Indiana, Sacramento, Utah
Bleacher Report

I don't hate the fit, but I might hate the contract it took to bring him in, haha. Kuzma isn't my first choice, but I wouldn't be mad if the Grizz brought him in (unless it is a ridiculous overpay).
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#23 » by esvl » Wed May 31, 2023 11:17 pm

I am just wondering why did the Lakers give up on him given they appreciated exactly the same skills Kuzma posseses that we are interested in? Besides, can he attack the rim? Is he a good finisher around the rim? Can he roll to the rim? Is he an upgraded version of Aldama?
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#24 » by esvl » Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 pm

I suspect that FO might want to bring a veteran or two for the chemistry and maturity purpose. Who that might be?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#25 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 1:32 am

esvl wrote:I am just wondering why did the Lakers give up on him given they appreciated exactly the same skills Kuzma posseses that we are interested in? Besides, can he attack the rim? Is he a good finisher around the rim? Can he roll to the rim? Is he an upgraded version of Aldama?

I think an upgraded version of Aldama is a pretty solid way to describe him. I'd take him, and I think he'd help us, but given the salary he will command he is down the wish list for me.

As for a couple vets to add, I think a lot will depend on if we can make a big swing trade or not. That will determine how much money we have for FA/trade matching. If we really don't think Clarke will be able to return to form, him and Tyus plus maybe #25 for DeRozan would be an option. I wouldn't give anything else up, but DeRozan would be able to be an elite 6th man or whenever he starts he would help provide shot creation. I know you hate him due to him hurting our spacing, but if you look at him as a vet and elite bench player it works out. As the primary SF option it is a lot less appealing. We'd be giving up two bench players and a late first to upgrade the 6th guy to someone who can actually create for himself. Right now Ja is the main creator. Down the stretch it would be nice to have another quality option or two. Hopefully Bane and JJJ become that. Both really improved last year though the foot injury derailed Bane a bit. But DeRozan could help give us a spark when the offense goes flat. Tyus has a little self creation, but not a lot. He is better at setting up the other guys on the court but when they aren't hitting we are toast.

If the preferred option happens and we can swing a big deal for a starting SF, I think Jae Crowder on MLE money as a locker room guy who can provide a little depth would be an option. He isn't afraid to get in our guy's faces if they need a kick in their pants. Actually getting guys that fit our core and timeline should be priority #1. Veteran presence is a bonus. I think our core has championship potential without much help though I'm always interested in increasing our chances.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by esvl » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:02 am

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:I am just wondering why did the Lakers give up on him given they appreciated exactly the same skills Kuzma posseses that we are interested in? Besides, can he attack the rim? Is he a good finisher around the rim? Can he roll to the rim? Is he an upgraded version of Aldama?

I think an upgraded version of Aldama is a pretty solid way to describe him. I'd take him, and I think he'd help us, but given the salary he will command he is down the wish list for me.

As for a couple vets to add, I think a lot will depend on if we can make a big swing trade or not. That will determine how much money we have for FA/trade matching. If we really don't think Clarke will be able to return to form, him and Tyus plus maybe #25 for DeRozan would be an option. I wouldn't give anything else up, but DeRozan would be able to be an elite 6th man or whenever he starts he would help provide shot creation. I know you hate him due to him hurting our spacing, but if you look at him as a vet and elite bench player it works out. As the primary SF option it is a lot less appealing. We'd be giving up two bench players and a late first to upgrade the 6th guy to someone who can actually create for himself. Right now Ja is the main creator. Down the stretch it would be nice to have another quality option or two. Hopefully Bane and JJJ become that. Both really improved last year though the foot injury derailed Bane a bit. But DeRozan could help give us a spark when the offense goes flat. Tyus has a little self creation, but not a lot. He is better at setting up the other guys on the court but when they aren't hitting we are toast.

If the preferred option happens and we can swing a big deal for a starting SF, I think Jae Crowder on MLE money as a locker room guy who can provide a little depth would be an option. He isn't afraid to get in our guy's faces if they need a kick in their pants. Actually getting guys that fit our core and timeline should be priority #1. Veteran presence is a bonus. I think our core has championship potential without much help though I'm always interested in increasing our chances.

Thanks. I have a few follow-up questions:
1. If we get Kuzma, what time then Aldama get given they play similar roles?
2. DeRozan eh. How can he be a vet mentor if he won nothing and always left fans disappointed in all his previous teams? As to self-creation, I don’t believe scoring or shot creation is our main priority or even a problem. Even if it is, it would unlikely be at the scale of 20m in our payroll.
3. Agreed on the big wing chase.
4. I love Crowder, though it would be a bit odd to bring him back once we already traded him. I dunno. Tucker in addition to Crowder? Is he done? Lopez?
5. Would you give up 4 1sts, 3 swaps, all youth for Mikal?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:40 pm

esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Thanks. I have a few follow-up questions:
1. If we get Kuzma, what time then Aldama get given they play similar roles?
2. DeRozan eh. How can he be a vet mentor if he won nothing and always left fans disappointed in all his previous teams? As to self-creation, I don’t believe scoring or shot creation is our main priority or even a problem. Even if it is, it would unlikely be at the scale of 20m in our payroll.
3. Agreed on the big wing chase.
4. I love Crowder, though it would be a bit odd to bring him back once we already traded him. I dunno. Tucker in addition to Crowder? Is he done? Lopez?
5. Would you give up 4 1sts, 3 swaps, all youth for Mikal?

1. I think Kuz would start and Aldama come off the bench, but yeah it does make Aldama a little more redundant.
2. Shot creation off the bench would be good. We could use a better bench gunner. We definitely have other bigger issues, but shot creation is still something on the list. Getting a little bit of creation, upgrading the 6th man, and getting a vet for minimal assets was all that trade was about.
3. Yeah that's the main priority.
4. I think he'd come back but you could be right. Tucker would be good too if he was interested in coming here cheap. Lopez I think isn't going anywhere.
5. I'd keep some of the youth but otherwise I think I'd begrudgingly offer the rest of that package.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#28 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:43 pm

I hadn't really thought much about it before, but with all the Ja stuff I bet our future picks got significantly more valuable. Instead of them being seen as guaranteed late 1sts, teams can talk themselves into some of the later picks panning out into lottery picks. I personally still like our chances at those picks being late, but them having more perceived upside could help us in trades.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by esvl » Fri Jun 9, 2023 4:25 am

I kinda like Jaden McD as a potential target. I’d even prefer him over OG who looks to me like a less efficient finisher and passer.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#30 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:47 pm

Congrats to Darko on getting a head coaching gig! I wonder who we will fill his spot with as he was our lead assistant.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:00 pm

Based on a couple of threads in the trade section, I think we may make some moves along the lines of the following:

McD and Conley for DB, Tyus, Roddy, 2024
Carter, Harris for Conley, Adams, LaRavia, 2023
Vincent as FA

That would give us:

Ja - Vincent
Bane - Kennard - Harris
McDaniels - ZW - Konchar
JJJ - Aldama - Tillman
Carter - Clarke - Lofton

Both Carter and McD would likely increase their trade value down the road.
psman2
General Manager

Post#32 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:12 pm

esvl wrote:Based on a couple of threads in the trade section, I think we may make some moves along the lines of the following:

Vincent as FA

That would give us:

Ja - Vincent
Bane - Kennard - Harris
McDaniels - ZW - Konchar
JJJ - Aldama - Tillman
Carter - Clarke - Lofton

I don’t think Minny goes for that deal but would be for it. The TNT board wanted more future UP picks in the deal.

Does Vincent have enough pg skills to really start for us when Ja is out? I think we just keep Conley, Harris is washed don’t need him.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:Based on a couple of threads in the trade section, I think we may make some moves along the lines of the following:

Vincent as FA

That would give us:

Ja - Vincent
Bane - Kennard - Harris
McDaniels - ZW - Konchar
JJJ - Aldama - Tillman
Carter - Clarke - Lofton

I don’t think Minny goes for that deal but would be for it. The TNT board wanted more future UP picks in the deal.

Does Vincent have enough pg skills to really start for us when Ja is out? I think we just keep Conley, Harris is washed don’t need him.

Should we go all-in for a big wing this offseason or wait with a big move for the trade deadline, hoping our youth will increase its value by that time?
psman2
General Manager

Post#34 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:35 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Vincent as FA

That would give us:

Ja - Vincent
Bane - Kennard - Harris
McDaniels - ZW - Konchar
JJJ - Aldama - Tillman
Carter - Clarke - Lofton

Should we go all-in for a big wing this offseason or wait with a big move for the trade deadline, hoping our youth will increase its value by that time?

I have hopes that one of Roddy or Jake will be a good 20-25 minute rotation player for us after another full offseason in our program. The one that loses that battle will have a hard time getting the pt necessary to develop an I would be in favor of trading if we can still get some value for him. We really need to open some roster spots. If we already know which one we prefer(early nod goes to Roddy but not 100% on that) I would like to package Jake and 25 to move up the draft some if we can.

Zaire is a real wildcard, I don't think he has much value on the trade market right now, likely a very late 1st. I rather continue gambling on him than take what we can get. He showed enough the first year to give him another year before cutting ties even if we leave some value on the table if he bust out. Rather use draft picks in a trade than him if possible.

I don't think we are in so bad a situation where we have to go all in now if we don't like the prices. If we can score a decent SF with the MLE and maybe work out a SNT of Brooks for another player or just get a TPE to have in our back pocket I think we are ok going into the season and seeing if our youth can step up. I would still like to get DFS in that role too and he shouldn't cost a lot. If our youth does step up then he doesn't seem like the ego type that will have a problem taking a lesser role if that happens. We need a guy that just plays within himself and role and plays solid D. I think DFS getting his 11/5 with solid D is enough if we get a little more offensive growth from Bane and JJJ. Could use some more punch off the bench though. It going to hard to solve both our biggest needs for a good wing and a 6th man in one offseason.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:25 pm

psman2 wrote: Could use some more punch off the bench though. It going to hard to solve both our biggest needs for a good wing and a 6th man in one offseason.

I’d rather give our three young wings all 48 minutes at the SF position as a chance to mature and develop so that we can leverage their increased value by February 2024. By that time, Clarke would also get back and hopefully recover his trade value. That’s where we probably would need to pay less for a borderline star wing, if one is available, because today such trade will likely cost us most if not all of our future picks.

Re DFS, why didn’t we trade for him last winter? I suspect he was available, but our FO ignored him. If yes, why would they change their mind. That’s my concern. Another one is why did Dallas let him go if he is so good in the role we are looking for.
psman2
General Manager

Post#36 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:31 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote: Could use some more punch off the bench though. It going to hard to solve both our biggest needs for a good wing and a 6th man in one offseason.

I’d rather give our three young wings all 48 minutes at the SF position as a chance to mature and develop so that we can leverage their increased value by February 2024. By that time, Clarke would also get back and hopefully recover his trade value. That’s where we probably would need to pay less for a borderline star wing, if one is available, because today such trade will likely cost us most if not all of our future picks.

Why didn’t we trade for DFS last winter? I suspect he was available, but our FO ignored him. If yes, why would they change their mind. That’s my concern. Another one is why would Dallas let him go if he is so good in the role we are looking for.

Rumors are we did make a trade offer for DFS after they rebuffed on attempts to get Bridges. They declined then. But if we could get DFS by SNT Brooks to a 3rd team and offer the better of the Mem/GS 1st with protections like top 12 or so then the tax savings and future pick would be a very nice offer now for DFS. With the new CBA rules teams are going to be more hesitant with spending and not reason for Brooklyn to be a tax team next year unless they get Dame and go all in or something.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:01 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Why didn’t we trade for DFS last winter? I suspect he was available, but our FO ignored him. If yes, why would they change their mind. That’s my concern. Another one is why would Dallas let him go if he is so good in the role we are looking for.

Rumors are we did make a trade offer for DFS after they rebuffed on attempts to get Bridges. They declined then. But if we could get DFS by SNT Brooks to a 3rd team and offer the better of the Mem/GS 1st with protections like top 12 or so then the tax savings and future pick would be a very nice offer now for DFS. With the new CBA rules teams are going to be more hesitant with spending and not reason for Brooklyn to be a tax team next year unless they get Dame and go all in or something.

I don’t think 1st GSW 2024 should be so easily dispensable.
psman2
General Manager

Post#38 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:06 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

If we are able to put protections on it like top 12 then we still get the upside of the pick. If GS plays well going into the deadline and we still have the pick it's value is going to be greatly decreased. Here we make our team better and still get the pick windfall if GS falters and we end up giving up our pick instead. It's kind of the best of both worlds still.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:31 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:[/b]

If we are able to put protections on it like top 12 then we still get the upside of the pick. If GS plays well going into the deadline and we still have the pick it's value is going to be greatly decreased. Here we make our team better and still get the pick windfall if GS falters and we end up giving up our pick instead. It's kind of the best of both worlds still.

Oh I would be totally fine with the top-12 protection.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:37 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:[/b]

It’s sad that we failed twice to make one more step furher (likely additional 1st) to secure a decent wing - Wagner or Eason who are way better than DFS.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies