Grizzlies Draft Thread 2023

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Draft Thread 2023 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Thu May 11, 2023 3:05 am

This thread will serve as the Grizzlies draft thread as the Grizzlies will be involve in the 2023 NBA Draft. Currently, the Grizzlies have the 25th, 45th, and 56th picks in this upcoming draft. Granted the Grizzlies are a young team as is. Do they feel the need to add more young pieces to the roster or will they look to trade away to obtain a more establish player to best bolster the Grizzlies roster. The Grizzlies have about a month and a half to figure out the decisions on these draft picks and potential trades if any.

If you are the GM, who would you draft with these picks and why?

If by trade, who would you look to acquire from the trades if possible?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Re: Grizzlies Draft Thread 2023 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:39 am

I don't know this draft class enough to have much of an opinion at the moment. Closer to time I'll dig in more, but I think I'm hoping we get a big fish SF via trade which would include #25.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 24, 2023 3:26 pm

Three guys for you to consider at pick #25.

NBA Draft Buzz

Moving Up The boards

The consensus among scouts was that four players are making significant moves up draft boards following the NBA combine.

Nobody seems to be rising more than Belmont's Ben Sheppard. We're hearing he's generating first-round interest after his 25-point game on Thursday, erasing some skepticism about his production in a relatively weaker Missouri Valley Conference. He's jumped to No. 26 in our updated mock draft.

Santa Clara's Brandin Podziemski also drew rave reviews, particularly after Wednesday's 10-point, seven-rebound, eight-assist performance in 21.5 minutes. His 19.9 points per game in college speaks to his shot-making skill, but scouts were especially impressed by Podziemski's decision-making, poise, rebounding and defense. That versatility should give him extra cushion at the next level, in case the firepower doesn't fully translate.

He's expected to draw mid-to-late first-round consideration and more interest from teams looking to trade up if he's still there in the second round.

Every scout Bleacher Report spoke to also mentioned Amari Bailey, who operated as a lead point guard and consistently made high-IQ passes. It's a continuation of his late-season play at UCLA when Bailey took on more on-ball reps, showcasing his craftiness and playmaking.

He also scored 17 points and 19 points in two separate scrimmages, creating his own shot and demonstrating versatility inside the arc. NBA teams will be eager to assess his three-point shooting up close in workouts, though scouts do sound relatively optimistic.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 24, 2023 3:53 pm

A potential replacement for Dillon Brooks. He has a limited ceiling, but feels like a surefire rotation player sooner than later.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 24, 2023 4:15 pm

Last one.

Maxwell Lewis | Pepperdine | Sophomore

High-floor prospect with 3-and-D qualities, though his recent progress suggests he can be much more

17.1 PPG | 5.8 RPG | 2.8 APG | 35% 3-Pt Shooter

Shades of: Devin Vassell, Trey Murphy III

PLUSES
  • Knockdown 3-point shooter off the catch with flawless mechanics. He’s not a dynamic threat off screens or handoffs, but he is excellent at one-dribble or two-dribble pull-ups and stepbacks. He loves using pump fakes to get defenders in the air, which gives him space to attack with jumpers or drives.
  • Deceptive ball handler with a deep bag of wide crossovers and hesitations.
  • Skilled back-to-the-basket scorer who can overpower smaller defenders to get close to the rim for hook shots. If he’s too far away, he can pivot into a post fadeaway jumper.
  • Aware cutter with a natural feel for finding open space, whether he’s relocating for a 3 or going to the basket. He uses subtle stop-and-go moves to keep defenders off balance.
  • He’s not a lead guard, but he has the playmaking skill and vision for dishing to bigs in the dunker spot or throwing darts to spot-up shooters. When involved in two-man games, his combo of shooting, passing, and perception make him a constant threat.
  • High-effort defender with a large frame and good length. He has the upside to become a super versatile defender if his quickness improves.

MINUSES
  • Isolation scoring isn’t part of his game yet because of a lack of burst off the dribble. He has moves but they aren’t quick enough to create consistent separation. He doesn’t draw many fouls either.
  • Athleticism is good but not great. He occasionally gets exposed when defending quicker guards on the perimeter. Teams target him. In college he makes up for it with consistent effort, but in the NBA he’ll need a strength and conditioning program to improve his lateral mobility.
  • Ball watches at times on defense, which might be part of his responsibilities as a roaming defensive playmaker. But it’s a habit he’ll need to change in the NBA.
The Ringer
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#6 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 9:39 pm

Has anyone have an opinion on Bobi Klintman? Seems to be intriguing prospect and mocked around out pick.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#7 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 9:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Last one.

Maxwell Lewis | Pepperdine | Sophomore

High-floor prospect with 3-and-D qualities, though his recent progress suggests he can be much more

17.1 PPG | 5.8 RPG | 2.8 APG | 35% 3-Pt Shooter

Shades of: Devin Vassell, Trey Murphy III

PLUSES
  • Knockdown 3-point shooter off the catch with flawless mechanics. He’s not a dynamic threat off screens or handoffs, but he is excellent at one-dribble or two-dribble pull-ups and stepbacks. He loves using pump fakes to get defenders in the air, which gives him space to attack with jumpers or drives.
  • Deceptive ball handler with a deep bag of wide crossovers and hesitations.
  • Skilled back-to-the-basket scorer who can overpower smaller defenders to get close to the rim for hook shots. If he’s too far away, he can pivot into a post fadeaway jumper.
  • Aware cutter with a natural feel for finding open space, whether he’s relocating for a 3 or going to the basket. He uses subtle stop-and-go moves to keep defenders off balance.
  • He’s not a lead guard, but he has the playmaking skill and vision for dishing to bigs in the dunker spot or throwing darts to spot-up shooters. When involved in two-man games, his combo of shooting, passing, and perception make him a constant threat.
  • High-effort defender with a large frame and good length. He has the upside to become a super versatile defender if his quickness improves.

MINUSES
  • Isolation scoring isn’t part of his game yet because of a lack of burst off the dribble. He has moves but they aren’t quick enough to create consistent separation. He doesn’t draw many fouls either.
  • Athleticism is good but not great. He occasionally gets exposed when defending quicker guards on the perimeter. Teams target him. In college he makes up for it with consistent effort, but in the NBA he’ll need a strength and conditioning program to improve his lateral mobility.
  • Ball watches at times on defense, which might be part of his responsibilities as a roaming defensive playmaker. But it’s a habit he’ll need to change in the NBA.
The Ringer

Looks promising what are the odds he is there at 25? Not sure adding our 2 2nds this year get us close to his range. I doubt we want to use future 1sts with 25 to move up but for the right guy I am sure we could consider it.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:49 pm

Lewis sounds great the more I've looked into him so great call there. I wonder if he will be available like psman said or if he will move up team's draft boards. Maybe he can be our next Bane success story.

Kendrick Davis on a two-way would be cool as a backup PG option. Marcus Sasser as a 2nd round guy could also be good as a backup PG option.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:45 am

Lewis isn't a bad prospect to consider. He has potential to be a 3&D player. As he's consistent from beyond the arc and a solid cutter to the basket. He seems to be more of a weakside defender rather than a one on one defender at times in this footage. He will need to improve in that area. As for the playmaking part, I can see where he needs to learn how to read the defense so he doesn't get picked off at times. However, at the stage of the NBA as he progresses to that point, I don't anticipate him becoming a true playmaker at this level. Just rather his 3&D prowess, transition offense, and harassing his opponent on defense.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 3:20 am

Kris Murray- 6'8- Iowa Hawkeyes

Potential 3&D profile, Slasher, Effective in Transition Offense

20.2 PPG 7.9 RPG 2.0 APG

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:47 pm

We still have two picks tonight. Jordan Walsh would be an absolute steal in terms of intangibles and toughness. Someone like Seth Lundy would provide instant offense if he is available. If GG Jackson slips to the 2nd, we should try to trade up for him just on the upside case, but I doubt we do given the "character" rumors. Sidy Cissoko has high upside if he slips. If Ben Sheppard is available I will be beyond shocked, but would be thrilled to have him.

For the 2nd 2nd rounder, you can't go wrong with Sir'Jabari Rice, Malcolm Cazalon, Jaylen Clark, Jazian Gortman, Mike Miles. I absolutely love Malcolm Cazalon and believe he has high level upside. Rice and Clark I also would be thrilled with.

As far as preferred UDFAs: Justyn Mutts, Jalen Slawson, Charles Bediako, Kendric Davis, Nick Ongenda, Mojave King, Bryce Griggs, and Seneca Knight are all guys I like.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:21 am

Can we trade for Cam at 20 and get a bargain wing before his stock increases?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:18 am

Cam would have been a great steal even if his medicals are looking shot. Worth the flyer on someone with so much talent. Maybe we can steal him in a Brooks S&T ha.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:23 am

VCfor3 wrote:Cam would have been a great steal even if his medicals are looking shot. Worth the flyer on someone with so much talent. Maybe we can steal him in a Brooks S&T ha.

Now I read it wasn't the medical, but poor interviews and poor team workouts. Who knows? Definitely a steal for Brooks!
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:24 am

VC who are you liking now? Rayan Rupert has incredible upside. Leonard Miller is really really solid. Sidy is another high upside international. Then you have win now pieces like Andre Jackson.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:29 am

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Cam would have been a great steal even if his medicals are looking shot. Worth the flyer on someone with so much talent. Maybe we can steal him in a Brooks S&T ha.

Now I read it wasn't the medical, but poor interviews and poor team workouts. Who knows? Definitely a steal for Brooks!

I bet we trade up a few spots here soon and grab someone since that is our MO, but even if we stay put I feel like we will get a solid guy to put on a 2-way deal with our #45 pick. Miller just went but he would have been an interesting guy to try and develop in the g league. I like the guys you mentioned plus wouldn't hate Maxwell Lewis.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:35 am

I love Rayan Rupert here. Think he has elite potential, but I don't understand why he fell. He had a wrist injury this year and played in New Zealand this year.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:54 am

Here's some players I think the Grizzlies should take a look at:

Amari Bailey, Kendric Davis, Omari Moore,
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:58 am

Rayan !! Let's GOOO

Bailey gone.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:02 am

SirJabari Rice or Seth Lundy would be solid.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies