Re: Memphis trades for Randolph 

Post#4 » by yungal07 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:47 am

Your GM is officially on crack.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#5 » by I Am Awesome-O » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:49 am

yungal07 wrote:Your GM is officially on crack.

Trust me, it's not the GM's fault. It's the douchebag owner's fault.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#6 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:52 am

What a terrible, terrible move.

I guarantee the team regrets this move by December, if not earlier.
#JuiceIsFree
perezident
Sixth Man
And1: 73
Location: On the beautiful island of the Bahamas. Where I was born

Post#7 » by perezident » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:53 am

I actually like the trade for you guys...2011 he's gone! No one was coming memphis in 2010 anyway. But i think he'll beast on this team.... good trade. 2011 you got Jaric AND ZBo off the books that looks like around 20M in capspace .....pretty darn good
Smills91 wrote:You guys are idiots....
If you sleep on Beno, he can drop 30/10 on you.

^Shall remain until this happens :rofl:

theo42 wrote:If you think Philly isn't getting better you will be shocked with how they play this year.

^ :lol: (7/4/15)
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#8 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:58 am

I Am Awesome-O wrote:
yungal07 wrote:Your GM is officially on crack.

Trust me, it's not the GM's fault. It's the douchebag owner's fault.

Don't forget douchebag's muppet lionel. Choo choo goes the little train...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#9 » by jhern87 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:59 am

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha.. Sorry,, I just feel bad for you guys.. OJ's going to have a new role model in town.. Lol..
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#10 » by Downtown » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:01 am

Honestly guys, this is a good move in my opinion. There really is no denying the guys skill level. He is a 20 and 10 player who is as strong a power forward as there is, and he not only scores but rebounds extremely well. If we take away his bad actions of his past and focus on how he played last season the Grizzlies have themselves a power forward that's as good and productive as any of the free agents.

I suppose his past attitude will follow him but I'm willing to start with a fresh sheet and give him the benefit of the doubt that he's older and maybe more grown up and mature. Time will tell.

As for how Memphis got him, I think they did very well. If they were to sign a free agent outright it would have cost them alot of money. By trading for Randolph it costs them $9mil less, although it would have been nice to have moved Jaric's deal.

This way all it cost them was Richardson, a player who has been awful the last two seasons at over $9mil per and he was in no way in their future plans, and Memphis keeps their depth since they didn't trade a single valueable player. If you want to look at it another way they traded Darko Milicic for Zach Randolph. That's a huge upgrade.

I'm certain over the summer there is going to be tons of discussion about Randolph's character. But I suggest you guys visit the Clippers board and politely ask them about how he conducted himself while he was with them. From what I've read he was a good guy on the floor and off. You can lament his past actions but how many of us went off about Darius Miles past while he was here? Not many.

All in all I think the Grizzlies have upgraded very well in adding Randolph, Thabeet, Carroll, and Young. The frontcourt is big, tough, and solid all around. Now they need to find the right backcourt player and can focus on just that this summer. I think they're still under the cap even when factoring in the draft picks salaries.

It's up to Lionel Hollins now to come up with a system that fits Mayo, Gay, and Randolph's skills the best. You can say there's not enough basketballs for those three at the same time but if a team that has Garnett, Pierce, and Allen, or one that has Bryant, Gasol, and Odom, or one that has Wade, Beasley, and O'neil, or Boozer, Williams, and Okur, or on and on.... can play together then I don't see why Memphis can't find a way to integrate these good players. I think it's time Hollins steps up and takes charge.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:02 am

The bright side of this trade is that Zach will produce for you if you end up keeping him. The ugly side of this monster is that he's owed 16,000,000 and 17,333,333 over the next two seasons. Chris Wallace and the Owner needed to acquire the future Minny first round pick that the Clippers have.
I am Ra
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by I am Ra » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:03 am

I'm sorry guys but getting DLee should've been the move. Trust me when i say this Zach is a team killer and DLee is a glue guy and perfect for a contending team.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#13 » by Jack wore plaid » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:14 am

I think your GM is missing the point.

The goal is to rebuild your young team like Portland has SINCE getting rid of Zach and Darius, not rebuild your team when they had those idiots. Bwahahahahaha
the edge
Pro Prospect
And1: 109

Post#14 » by the edge » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:27 am

Horrible.

Didn't something come out about D. Miles, and his bad influence on OJ late last season?

Zach is an overpaid cancer, yea, he can score but, what kind of leadership can he provide for a young team?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#15 » by Downtown » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:37 am

Definitely Lee would have been the better fit. And Glen Davis was the guy I wanted to see Memphis sign. But Randolph's stats were still better. All I can figure is that since they moved Richardson's contract it costs them a little less than if they had to give Lee $12m per season outright with raises over five years. This way it will be around $5mil less than if they did it the other way. I have the Grizzlies roughly pegged at $54mil committed for 13 players counting their draft picks. And if they buyout Buckner it lowers their pyroll to $51mil which gives them plenty of room for another backcourt player.

I also wonder if the fact that Randolph only has two years left was a factor over having to take on a five year similar deal for Lee. Add in Jaric expiring the same time as Randolph and after next season the Grizzlies are once again in a position of having big expiring contracts. I'm sure with Gay, Conley, then Mayo in order coming up for new contracts over the next three years having a shorter term contract like Randolphs was a swaying factor to Hesiley.

I have to believe money, even though Zach is going to be owed alot over the next two seasons, played a factor. I really don't want to offend a single Grizzlies fan, but could Heisley be wanting to keep the payroll in a position where the team would look attractive if he had to sell them? Sorry to even suggest it guys but I have to wonder.
dookieguy
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#16 » by dookieguy » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:44 am

I don't think it's that bad of a trade. compared to Millsap/Lee, we're getting an 8m discount with Qrich out, and with Zbo having only two years left, it's not that big of a risk.

At the very worst, Zbo will just produce and expire by 2011 along with Marko Jaric, so they don't lose their cap flexibility like they would've if they signed Lee/Mllsap
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#17 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:44 am

I don't understand this trade for you guys at all. Lee or Millsap would have been perfect and you get Randolph? Gross...
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by hard49 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:54 am

kingofkingz wrote:I'm sorry guys but getting DLee should've been the move. Trust me when i say this Zach is a team killer and DLee is a glue guy and perfect for a contending team.

You mean the same David Lee who has to purchase tickets to even know what the playoffs look like? Please. :roll:
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#19 » by The J Rocka » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:56 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I don't understand this trade for you guys at all. Lee or Millsap would have been perfect and you get Randolph? Gross...

Definitely, you guys should have at least tried to dump Miles or Jaric's contract with QRich
rufus_thomas
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#20 » by rufus_thomas » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:58 am

Jack wore plaid wrote:I think your GM is missing the point.

The goal is to rebuild your young team like Portland has SINCE getting rid of Zach and Darius, not rebuild your team when they had those idiots. Bwahahahahaha

the GM wanted LEE. the owner wanted randolph.
chris wallace (the GM) gets it, the owner doesn't. the randolph is cheeper than lee, i.e. 2 years VS 5 years..

Return to Memphis Grizzlies