Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Heat Wants Boozer and Odom 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:18 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... _and_odom/

The Heat are trying to sell Odom on a five-year, $34 million contract at the mid-level exception, and a league executive with knowledge of the talks says Miami has also hatched a three-way proposal with the Utah Jazz and Memphis Grizzlies to secure Boozer.

My question to this is if the Grizz are in talks to help Miami land Boozer, who will the Grizz get back in the deal?
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Re: Heat Wants Boozer and Odom 

Post#2 » by I Am Awesome-O » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:20 am

SD2042 wrote:My question to this is if the Grizz are in talks to help Miami land Boozer, who will the Grizz get back in the deal?

Cash. Ugh.

My question is, if the Heat are looking to acquire both Boozer and Odom, what happens to Michael Beasley? He comes of the bench again?

Perhaps we could give the Heat Marc Gasol for Beasley in the same deal (the Randolph trade still hasn't been finalized). Talk about a blockbuster. Naa, never gonna happen. Plus, Thabeet starting would be, well, ghastly to say the least.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Pat Riley to Michael Heisley (via Chris Wallace):

"Bend over and facilitate beeotch!"
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#4 » by Jack wore plaid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:29 pm

The Randolph deal still hasn't been finalized? Is that right? What's the hold up?

I think this is a decent move by Memphis if they do it. I am not sure what their personal vendetta is against the Blazers, but they are doing a great job of hindering the front office of Portland. Solid front office chess playing for sure. Although I am not sure how much all the moves Memphis has made really hurts Portland in the long run. It certainly made Paul Allen pay a bunch of money, but other than that....

Good luck to you guys this year.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 643

Post#5 » by jefe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:37 pm

I Am Awesome-O is probably right. It'll be cash and a player making less than 3mill this year to be waived. Oh and a 2016 second rounder ... it must be part of the 2016 plan (that comes after the 3 year plan we're currently on).
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#6 » by vanjulio » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

what no Jarron Collins?
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,273

Post#7 » by Hoops23 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm

SD2042 wrote:My question to this is if the Grizz are in talks to help Miami land Boozer, who will the Grizz get back in the deal?
Dorell Wright, cash and 2nd round pick/s.
IMO, the Grizz needs to add a SF.
Taking Dorell for free because of the cash involve plus a bonus of draft pick is a good deal for Mem.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#8 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't think this deal is going to happen. I can't see why the Jazz would trade Boozer away for just Haslem. How willing would the Memphis be in trading the rights to Sam Young?
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#9 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote: How willing would the Memphis be in trading the rights to Sam Young?

In a cash only deal such as this, pretty much not at all. Young was a very legit option for the Grizz's pick @ 27 - a steal in their eyes at 36. I don't see him being moved unless it's for a significant talent/need.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#10 » by bad knees » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Bulls poster here trying to put together a competing offer to get Boozer, with you guys facilitating.

Instead of the usual $2.8 million scrub and $3 million cash (allowing you guys to pocket 200K), how about a real basketball player for Memphis: Tyrus Thomas. If the Bulls were to structure a deal with Utah that would result in Thomas going to Memphis, would you guys take him without cash (thus taking on his $4.7 million salary)? Even with Randolph coming in, he would provide a shotblocking presence at the 4 and a good trade chip at the least.
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by daddyfivestar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I don't think this deal is going to happen. I can't see why the Jazz would trade Boozer away for just Haslem. How willing would the Memphis be in trading the rights to Sam Young?

It's really money of Haslem + Millsap for money of Boozer... that's why UT does it. To match Millsap and have a solid b/u expiring PF in Haslem. If there intention is to match Millsap, it's not a bad strategy - although I'd demand Cook too if I was them :)
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#12 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:49 pm

daddyfivestar wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I don't think this deal is going to happen. I can't see why the Jazz would trade Boozer away for just Haslem. How willing would the Memphis be in trading the rights to Sam Young?

It's really money of Haslem + Millsap for money of Boozer... that's why UT does it. To match Millsap and have a solid b/u expiring PF in Haslem. If there intention is to match Millsap, it's not a bad strategy - although I'd demand Cook too if I was them :)

We don't need to move Boozer to match Millsap though. I don't understand why everyone thinks that the Jazz have to move Boozer by the Friday deadline to re-sign Millsap.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#13 » by Downtown » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Hoops23, Memphis has Gay, who plays around 36 minutes a game. Then behind him there's the two rookies Caroll and Young, not to mention they can still re-sign Hakim Warrick. I don't think they need another small forward, certainly not Wright. Just my opinion.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,273

Post#14 » by Hoops23 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Downtown, I know you have GAy but what I'm saying is you're getting a player for free. If you add a free agent, then Mem is going tp pay him.

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:I don't think this deal is going to happen. I can't see why the Jazz would trade Boozer away for just Haslem.
Come on! Its not just Haslem but the money Utah saves in the deal considering their already above the lux tax. the difference in Boozer and Haslem salaries is $5.2m. Then since the jazz are above the lux tax, they're saving $10m.

Most fans doesn't care about financial concerns because their not the one paying these players. But you need to consider the financial state of a team in a trade.

If Utah is not concern financially, they should rather keep Boozer.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Hoops23 wrote:
Dorell Wright, cash and 2nd round pick/s.
IMO, the Grizz needs to add a SF.
Taking Dorell for free because of the cash involve plus a bonus of draft pick is a good deal for Mem.

The Grizz really need a SG rather than a SF in this case like DT stated. Wright from what I've seen thru stats and TV lacks better consistancy to be reliable in the rotation. He's been in the league for 4 seasons and hasn't gain consistant effort to be a better player. Something's off on that issue.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies