Same Standing Pairs Draft - R2 - Dr Positivity* vs Snakebites

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,195

Same Standing Pairs Draft - R2 - Dr Positivity* vs Snakebites 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:45 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups. Please ensure you give a rationale for your vote; votes with no explanation will not be counted.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances.**

Dr Positivity wrote:

Snakebites wrote:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,655

Re: Same Standing Pairs Draft - R2 - Dr Positivity vs Snakebites 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:38 pm

PG: Derrick Rose (2011: 19.7 FGA)
SG: Danny Green (2019: 7.9 FGA)
SF: Jayson Tatum (2020: 18.6 FGA)
PF: Anthony Davis (2018: 19.5 FGA)
C: Marc Gasol (2019: 11.0 FGA)

PG: Anthony Johnson (2003: 3.5 FGA)
SF: Thabo Sefolosha (2012: 3.7 FGA)
C: Andrew Bogut (2016: 4.0 FGA)

87.9 / 88

PG: Derrick Rose (40) / Anthony Johnson (8)
SG: Danny Green (36) / Thabo Sefolosha (12)
SF: Jayson Tatum (32) / Thabo Sefolosha (16)
PF: Anthony Davis (40) / Jayson Tatum (8)
C: Marc Gasol (32) / Andrew Bogut (16)

GL Snakebites

Defensive matchups: Rose on Cassell, Green on Jones, Tatum on Anunoby, Davis on KG, Gasol on Mourning. Green will see some time on Cassell.

- I feel we have the more talented team here with the big 3 of Davis, Tatum and Rose, while his team is pretty lacking on the perimeter with two 3 and D wings and Cassell. I feel Rose/Davis/Gasol is as good as Cassell/KG/Mourning but we have the extra star wing in Tatum.

- We're using the Raptors Gasol which is a problem for him in this matchup as Mourning will be stretched out to the 3pt line. I also don't think any of his perimeter players can guard Rose especially with that spacing where everyone can hit a 3 (In Davis case 34%, but he is also a great midrange shooter).

- While my bench is my weakness, I don't think Snake's is anything special either enough to flip the matchup. Christie is better than Thabo, however I'll take the Bogut over either Niang or Andersen, and Johnson at least hits 37% from 3 and is only playing 8 minutes.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,259

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:01 pm

Kevin Garnett 04-05 16.6 FGS
Eddie Jones 00-01 13.8 FGA
Sam Cassell 03-04 15.7 FGA
Alonzo Mourning 99-00 15.0 FGA
OG Anunoby 19-20 8.2 FGA
Chris Andersen 04-05 5.3 FGA
Doug Christie 02-03 7.0 FGA
Georges Niang 22-23 6.4 FGA

Total: 88/88

Cassell (37)/Christie (11)
EJ (26)/Christie (22)
OG (36)/EJ (12)
KG (38)/Niang (10)
Zo (39)/Andersen (9)

Alrighty, let’s do this.

A few points-

1) I think dismissing EJ as a “3 and D” wing is fairly reductive. He was an all star level player in the chosen season who happened to also be able to shoot threes and play good defense.

2) Gasol is a nice shooter but his low volume three point shooting isn’t particularly scary.

3) I think I have the best defense in the game and the best front court- Zo was All NBA first and a fringe MVP candidate in the chosen year. I’ve also got OG to cover Tatum, and Christie and Jones are both guys who can give Rose some trouble in stretches- he struggled some against bigger players at his peak. We can hide Cassell on Danny Green- this version was just a spot up guy.

4) Speaking of Cassell, 2004 Sam made the second team all NBA and had terrific impact metrics as a pick and roll combo with KG.

I think I combine a crushing defense with a synergistic and well spaced offense that should be able to put up a stiff fight here. I think I have strong checks on everything he has, and I also think Cassell/EJ is a very good backcourt that exploits the defensive weakness of his backcourt (Rose and older Green).
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,868

Post#4 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:18 am

I like both these cores quite a bit. Dr P has the more explosive team with good shooting around AD and Rose, plus Tatum as a third banana. Snake has more of a methodical, grind-it-out bunch, and for the most part I think he matches up well defensively; Gasol's shooting is definitely a wrinkle to be accounted for, but I suspect on most nights it will be outweighed by Zo's defensive impact against the rim pressure of AD and Rose. It is worth noting that Gasol/AD is also a great tandem to defend Zo/KG.

The benches are a differentiating factor though. I can't go with Dr P's approach of comparing them man-for-man, as I don't see Johnson as a guy who should be playing a single minute at this level, and it's not like there's a lot of supplementary creation elsewhere in those second unit lineups. Really feels like those non-Rose groups will be too damaging in an otherwise close series.

Vote: Snakebites
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#5 » by wackbone » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:58 am

I think this largely comes down to your interpretation of Cassell's impact. I like the talent of EJ/KG/Zo, but none of them are particularly frightening offensively. Dr P has Rose/Tatum/AD, a phenomenal offensive trio all in their own roles.

Vote: Dr P

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Square
Rookie
And1: 285

Post#6 » by Square » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:15 am

I'm going with Dr. P here.

Mainly, I don't find Snakebites' offense convincing enough. Cassell is a nice player but I don't think his herky-jerk pullup game is really enough of a foundation for a lead creator on a team at this level. I'm also a Heat fan of the right age and watched as much early 2000's EJ as anyone alive; let's say I'm not super high on that aspect. So Cassell/EJ/OG is to me a pretty weak starting offensive trio at this level. KG/Zo is great, but IMO approached in impact more closely by AD/Gasol than the gap the other way between the perimeter groups.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by durantbird » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:11 pm

I see the disparity in top end talent as more meaningful than 8 minutes of Johnson. Bench difference isn't enough.

Vote Dr Positivity
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by durantbird » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:12 pm

Dr Positivity advances
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,259

Re: Same Standing Pairs Draft - R2 - Dr Positivity* vs Snakebites 

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:50 pm

GG DB

Wasn’t able to get the firepower I needed in this one.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games