who wants to start another tourny thing?

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Re: who wants to start another tourny thing? 

Post#21 » by CellarDoor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:17 pm

For those of you who aren't entirely sure what we're talking about I'll give you a quick overview.

Last time we had 16 teams, the 16 playoff teams from last year. Each participant had a team and was able to protect one franchise player to begin their team with. For instance: if you picked Cleveland you would protect Eric Snow (kidding). Now, i'm not sure how thrilled with this idea I am since it gives some teams (Cleveland, LA, San Antonio) huge advantages to begin with, but we can discuss this.

From there the draft began, the "twist" is that you can only draft people taken in the year we are drafting or earlier. Since we need 15 man rosters, I would suggest going back to 93-94 for our first draft. Using RNGs, we determined each year's draft order, but each person could only have a finite number of #1 and #2 picks. Trades were allowed, but had to be approved and could not be finalized until all pieces of the trade had been drafted. (in other words, you couldn't trade your first pick in the 96 draft for someone's 1st pick in the 00 draft until both pieces had already been picked).

the idea was to have the 8 teams in a conference have a bracket-style tournament with the other conference voting on their match-ups. What I'd like to do this time is, as Gremz mentioned, have a judging panel of some sort. I wouldn't mind having an open voting process for all RGM posters, but if I were you guys, I'd prefer to have a few good members judging. The problem may simply be participation in that instance though and trying to find 3 judges (2+ me I guess) who will commit to doing it as well as 16 active participants.

Like I said, I'm not sure I have time to go through the trade negotiations and draft portion of a game GM a Team to conclude though as a lot of your most active posters have a lot of balls in the air right now.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,043

Post#22 » by bringbackhoffa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 pm

im in for the twist draft as well
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#23 » by bcortell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 pm

That sounds good, but starting the draft that early might cause some problems. I don't think there are many active players from that far back, and even fewer who even contribute to their team. It might be a better idea to start a couple years later and then have a round or two of just free for all (whoever is left).
Jud's Buechlers
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Jud's Buechlers » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:47 pm

This year we could have the 2009 draft which would put us at 15 players. We could do 1995 and before then continue from there to make 15 players (95 and before, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, and 09). Thoughts? Also, I agree with Cellar... getting assigned a team and keeping one of their players seems to give an advantage. One team last time got Cleveland (Lebron), then landed the #1 pick in 2003 (Wade). It was horrendous. Things like that can be discussed and possible altered. But the twist gives it an extra bit of fun.
Jud's Buechlers
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Jud's Buechlers » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Another rule that should be looked at (and I think Cellar would agree) would be the 'no trading until picks are picked' rule. I think it would be great if we could trade our picks ahead of time and actually post it to the board. Just have a trade thread also.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by CellarDoor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Jud's Buechlers wrote:Another rule that should be looked at (and I think Cellar would agree) would be the 'no trading until picks are picked' rule. I think it would be great if we could trade our picks ahead of time and actually post it to the board. Just have a trade thread also.

If that were the case, I'd want it to be an even trade in terms of numbers (1 for 1, 2 for 2, etc) until the drafts were completed. Also, I am leaning towards Cortell's idea of having a couple additional FFA drafts. I'm more than happy to listen to other opinions.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
Sports Arsenal
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#27 » by Sports Arsenal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Cellar,
I would be happy to be a judge, or assist the game in any way needed.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#28 » by MJallday59 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm in if there is room
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by CellarDoor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Guys, I want to keep these threads straight. I will start a new one tonight or tomorrow during the day. Put your name in there.

--thanks
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#30 » by BlackIce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:21 am

I'm in if there is room.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by CellarDoor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:52 am

With GM-a-Team, Shaq's game, and the new one by the piston fan (can't remember name), i'm going to put this on hold til CAT ends. If someone thinks they can manage the game feel free, I just don't want to overload people who would generally like to participate.
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#32 » by nba_addict » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:15 pm

I like the old GM-a-Team game concept. Personally I dont like the random draft concept because its a bit unrealistic to me.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games