Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,835

Re: FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22 

Post#1321 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Maybe if you draft a 2020s MVP you can’t draft any other 1st teamers or something, although it makes Embiid a tough pill at that and 22 FGA

This kind of rule creates more problems than it solves. Outside of the exception if we're going that route, I don't see a need for other restrictions.

That would’ve replaced the exception

Maybe no exception and ABBB is also an option

Why do we need ABBB?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,594

Post#1322 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:43 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:This kind of rule creates more problems than it solves. Outside of the exception if we're going that route, I don't see a need for other restrictions.

Why do we need ABBB?

I think it's pretty difficult to beat Jokic or Giannis in their prime for the late round drafters. Giving them 4th round top pick isn't that mammoth of an advantage anyway, just a slight one that could help.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1323 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:58 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

Why do we need ABBB?

I think it's pretty difficult to beat Jokic or Giannis in their prime for the late round drafters. Giving them 4th round top pick isn't that mammoth of an advantage anyway, just a slight one that could help.

I can see the argument for Jokic, although it's not as strong without the insane value of his 2022-23 season for 14.8 FGA. Giannis I'm not even sure would be my next pick there.

Anyway, if someone ends up with, say, LeBron + Steph (perfectly plausible) plus first pick in round 3, I don't feel like we need to give them another top pick in round 4. The importance of high picks is really overblown on here at times.
flaco
Veteran
And1: 882

Post#1324 » by flaco » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:09 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
flaco wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Could we not try it without the exception for once? If it doesn't work, we can always go back to that when we do the end of season version.

If we are to do it, we should probably open the signups thread asap. We have a small window before the FGAs start fluctuating again.

Another alternative regarding the exception would be to allow either one All-NBA 1st teamer or 2 non-1st teamers. It's up to each participant to decide which option suits him the most. For instance, would you rather have MJ or Billups+Reggie?

Personally, I'm ok with all these alternatives.

I'm generally not a fan of exceptions, although I recognise that they are sometimes necessary to make a pool viable. If we have to have one, I generally prefer it to be fairly restrictive, so you don't have guys like MJ and Shaq overpowering the core pool of the draft. Last year we limited it to the seasons between 2010-11 and 2022-23.

For 2023-24 though, I'm not even convinced we need one at all. Apart from Ja Morant and a handful of others, pretty much every significant star player has played at least half the games and performed at the level you'd expect. We also have a few rookies like Chet, Wemby, Jaquez, Podziemski, Whitmore, etc. who are contributors on competitive teams.

Last time we drafted 96 players and guys like Fox, Edwards, KAT, Kyrie, Zion, Randle, and Maxey weren't even picked. I know those guys all have flaws, but It would at least interesting to see people work around those flaws for a one-off game like this.

I'm on board with whatever you guys want. My main point is we should probably open the signups thread as soon as the current draft ends cause we have a small time window till the FGAs start fluctuating again.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1325 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:55 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Why do we need ABBB?

I can see the argument for Jokic, although it's not as strong without the insane value of his 2022-23 season for 14.8 FGA. Giannis I'm not even sure would be my next pick there.

Anyway, if someone ends up with, say, LeBron + Steph (perfectly plausible) plus first pick in round 3, I don't feel like we need to give them another top pick in round 4. The importance of high picks is really overblown on here at times.

I feel like the star bigs are always easiest to build around in drafts like this since you can find a guard later. Though I guess the difference is not as extreme as a few years ago.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1326 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:29 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

I feel like the star bigs are always easiest to build around in drafts like this since you can find a guard later. Though I guess the difference is not as extreme as a few years ago.

There a lot of good bigs who will be available later on, they have flaws but so do the guards. Either way, I'm still in favour of running this as a "test drive" to see what the pool looks like without restrictions, but it's your call.

Are you going to start it today?
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1327 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:I can see the argument for Jokic, although it's not as strong without the insane value of his 2022-23 season for 14.8 FGA. Giannis I'm not even sure would be my next pick there.

There a lot of good bigs who will be available later on, they have flaws but so do the guards. Either way, I'm still in favour of running this as a "test drive" to see what the pool looks like without restrictions, but it's your call.

I'll do it today
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,232

Post#1328 » by Laimbeer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

I'll do it today
For whatever it is worth, I agree with fade that we do not need an exception for this draft. It just seems to take a lot of the emphasis off of the current players when the star of each team isn't playing today. Also, we can just copy and paste the statistics as of the all-star break and use those regardless of when we start the game. There is no need to rush.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1329 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:04 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:There a lot of good bigs who will be available later on, they have flaws but so do the guards. Either way, I'm still in favour of running this as a "test drive" to see what the pool looks like without restrictions, but it's your call.

I'll do it today
For whatever it is worth, I agree with fade that we do not need an exception for this draft. It just seems to take a lot of the emphasis off of the current players when the star of each team isn't playing today. Also, we can just copy and paste the statistics as of the all-star break and use those regardless of when we start the game. There is no need to rush.

We have until Friday morning for the stats to change so I don't think it'd be a problem
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,179

Post#1330 » by durantbird » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 pm

Do we really believe playing without any exceptions would be fair for all drafting spots?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1331 » by Laimbeer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:53 pm

durantbird wrote:Do we really believe playing without any exceptions would be fair for all drafting spots?
Close enough, imo.

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1332 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:57 pm

durantbird wrote:Do we really believe playing without any exceptions would be fair for all drafting spots?

I do, but in any case what's the harm in actually trying?
flaco
Veteran
And1: 882

Post#1333 » by flaco » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:27 pm

How about we are allowed 1 exception in terms of the selected season? We can select only current players, but 1 of them may be from a previous season. We suddenly gain access to prime LeBron, prime Steph, prime KD, prime CP3, etc.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,179

Post#1334 » by durantbird » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:59 am

Multi Franchise States:
Miami, Orlando, Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Sacramento, Knicks, Brooklyn, Spurs, Rockets, Dallas
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,068

Post#1335 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:10 am

Mid-late 2020 was a heyday of sorts for these games- people were stuck at home and these were a real lifeline for me (and others I think).

Been thinking about this one:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=1996077

Cliff notes: take a 5-man core of a team that never won a title (not allowed to use any player who won a championship with the team, must take 5 guys from the same season- so no Dirk/Nash Mavs), then try to put them over the top by adding three guys, including one All NBA guy (no multi first teamers).

It was a non-draft and was fun but it had some pitfalls:

1) It wasn’t a draft so lots of cores and supporting pieces were picked multiple times.
2) Harden/KD/Westbrook Thunder were a cheat code, especially since everyone had access to the same supplemental people.

Solution: Make it a draft. Like any draft no player can be drafted multiple times. Everyone picks a core in round 1. Better cores get worse supporting pieces. 4 round draft with three rounds for supporting pieces. Put a 58 win minimum (or an MVP limit) on the core if OKC’s 3 MVP build is too OP.

Kind of a bizarro idea. Probably not for everyone. Just something I remember that probably nobody else does.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1336 » by Laimbeer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:50 pm

How about a 16 round draft, but you only participate in eight rounds.

Rounds 1,2,11 thru 16 OR rounds 3 through 10. You're choosing whether to have a top heavy or balanced team. We could tweak the round options if they seem unequal.

Or even assign a point value to each round and you'd only have so many points to spend.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1337 » by Laimbeer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 pm

Snakebites wrote:Mid-late 2020 was a heyday of sorts for these games- people were stuck at home and these were a real lifeline for me (and others I think).

Cliff notes: take a 5-man core of a team that never won a title (not allowed to use any player who won a championship with the team, must take 5 guys from the same season- so no Dirk/Nash Mavs), then try to put them over the top by adding three guys, including one All NBA guy (no multi first teamers).

1) It wasn’t a draft so lots of cores and supporting pieces were picked multiple times.
2) Harden/KD/Westbrook Thunder were a cheat code, especially since everyone had access to the same supplemental people.

Solution: Make it a draft. Like any draft no player can be drafted multiple times. Everyone picks a core in round 1. Better cores get worse supporting pieces. 4 round draft with three rounds for supporting pieces. Put a 58 win minimum (or an MVP limit) on the core if OKC’s 3 MVP build is too OP.

Kind of a bizarro idea. Probably not for everyone. Just something I remember that probably nobody else does.

I think I initially tried to set it up as a draft but was talked into making it a mail-in. Having it as a draft would be very interesting. Do you go for your core first? What if someone swipes part of your intended core? etc
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1338 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:08 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Mid-late 2020 was a heyday of sorts for these games- people were stuck at home and these were a real lifeline for me (and others I think).

I think I initially tried to set it up as a draft but was talked into making it a mail-in. Having it as a draft would be very interesting. Do you go for your core first? What if someone swipes part of your intended core? etc

I had originally thought everyone picks a core first.

Mixing it up would be very interesting.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1339 » by Laimbeer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:54 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I like that, too. Might be more practical.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1340 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:56 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I like that, too. Might be more practical.

We’ll see.

It’s an off the wall idea that might not vibe with everyone.

I think I was the one who suggested making it a non-draft and I think it would have been better with a draft.

As constructed it would be a 4 round draft. Could be workshopped though.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games