The Finals Twist Draft - Discussion Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Tony Snell
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Re: The Finals Twist Draft - Discussion Thread 

Post#81 » by Tony Snell » Wed May 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Jon_3232 wrote:Should be some phenomenal benches in this one lol

Mine will indeed be a classic Snell bench.
Greatest Bulls of All Time: 1. TONY SNELL 2. Jordan 3. Pippen 4. Rose 5. Gilmore
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#82 » by euroleague » Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 pm

This game is really crawling though. Next game needs to be pairs
Jon_3232
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,946

Post#83 » by Jon_3232 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

euroleague wrote:This game is really crawling though. Next game needs to be pairs

Yah this is waaaay too slow . The voting is bad too, our matchup is at 3-2 and will likely take another day for someone to vote lol
euroleague
General Manager

Post#84 » by euroleague » Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Jon_3232 wrote:
euroleague wrote:This game is really crawling though. Next game needs to be pairs

Yah this is waaaay too slow . The voting is bad too, our matchup is at 3-2 and will likely take another day for someone to vote lol

I prefer 1 hour or 30 minute windows. Pairs draft. Ranking, then championship match.

No waiting
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,416

Post#85 » by wackbone » Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 pm

euroleague wrote:
Jon_3232 wrote:

I prefer 1 hour or 30 minute windows. Pairs draft. Ranking, then championship match.

No waiting

You would’ve hated the 3 hour wait time games

Personally I prefer giving people an opportunity to make their pick, even if it means we have to wait a little bit. Skipping leaves a sour taste in my mouth, unless they’re someone who perpetually doesn’t pick in time.

1 hour or less per pick is way too little time. Half of the draft would be skipped on a normal work day most likely.

2 hours is a happy medium between the too long 3 hours games and what would be way too short 1 hour games. Who cares if it takes days to finish the draft? It’s not like we have enough ideas and participants to churn out a bunch more games each week, so I’m not sure what the rush is.

Now voting is a whole nother animal. I’d propose allowing anyone on the forum to vote, not just the participants in the game. That would greatly increase the number of people who can vote

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Tony Snell
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by Tony Snell » Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm

wackbone wrote:
euroleague wrote:
Jon_3232 wrote:

No waiting

Personally I prefer giving people an opportunity to make their pick, even if it means we have to wait a little bit. Skipping leaves a sour taste in my mouth, unless they’re someone who perpetually doesn’t pick in time.

1 hour or less per pick is way too little time. Half of the draft would be skipped on a normal work day most likely.

2 hours is a happy medium between the too long 3 hours games and what would be way too short 1 hour games. Who cares if it takes days to finish the draft? It’s not like we have enough ideas and participants to churn out a bunch more games each week, so I’m not sure what the rush is.

Now voting is a whole nother animal. I’d propose allowing anyone on the forum to vote, not just the participants in the game. That would greatly increase the number of people who can vote

Yeah, the old three hour games used to truly drag on forever. I remember there being a little initial backlash when we made the switch to two hours, but the number of people being skipped didn't really change. That being said, I don't think an hour is enough time. Some days I am able to monitor throughout the day and be ready the moment it is my turn, but other days, stuff pops up and I am barely able to check drafts at all during the work day.
Greatest Bulls of All Time: 1. TONY SNELL 2. Jordan 3. Pippen 4. Rose 5. Gilmore
euroleague
General Manager

Post#87 » by euroleague » Wed May 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Tony Snell wrote:
wackbone wrote:
euroleague wrote:I prefer 1 hour or 30 minute windows. Pairs draft. Ranking, then championship match.

No waiting

Yeah, the old three hour games used to truly drag on forever. I remember there being a little initial backlash when we made the switch to two hours, but the number of people being skipped didn't really change. That being said, I don't think an hour is enough time. Some days I am able to monitor throughout the day and be ready the moment it is my turn, but other days, stuff pops up and I am barely able to check drafts at all during the work day.

I'm ok with missing a pick or 2, if the draft goes twice as fast.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,843

Post#88 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed May 15, 2019 7:09 pm

wackbone wrote:
euroleague wrote:
Jon_3232 wrote:

No waiting

For as long as I've been playing these games, there's always been an implicit understanding that any of the regulars on the board can vote. My problem is, since we made the switch from five votes to four, there really shouldn't be any need for that in when we have 12 or more participants. There are just too many people who will draft their team but won't vote. It's not so easy to get people who aren't playing a game to take the time to vote.
wackbone
RealGM

Post#89 » by wackbone » Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm

euroleague wrote:
Tony Snell wrote:
wackbone wrote:You would’ve hated the 3 hour wait time games

Why do we need it to go twice as fast though? Then we could have more dead time in between games since, again, we don’t have a ton of games on deck or anything like that.

I wouldn’t join a game with one hour timers for the entire draft, but I could do a one hour timer for the last 1 or 2 or MAYBE 3 rounds. I think it’s crucial to get the right guys in the first bunch of rounds, but the last round(s) lose a little bit of luster. That might be a good compromise.

BAF Celtics

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#90 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed May 15, 2019 7:16 pm

wackbone wrote:
euroleague wrote:
Tony Snell wrote:Yeah, the old three hour games used to truly drag on forever. I remember there being a little initial backlash when we made the switch to two hours, but the number of people being skipped didn't really change. That being said, I don't think an hour is enough time. Some days I am able to monitor throughout the day and be ready the moment it is my turn, but other days, stuff pops up and I am barely able to check drafts at all during the work day.

Why do we need it to go twice as fast though? Then we could have more dead time in between games since, again, we don’t have a ton of games on deck or anything like that.

I wouldn’t join a game with one hour timers for the entire draft, but I could do a one hour timer for the last 1 or 2 or MAYBE 3 rounds. I think it’s crucial to get the right guys in the first bunch of rounds, but the last round(s) lose a little bit of luster. That might be a good compromise.

Yeah, I'm generally pretty impatient and I almost never have a problem making deadlines, but I'm perfectly fine with the two hour windows. This game basically started on Monday morning and we'll have starting lineups completed by Wednesday night. How much faster do we need it to go really? It's when the voting drags on that I get annoyed, and even that seems to have gotten better lately.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#91 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed May 15, 2019 7:53 pm

ardee wrote:.

Up
euroleague
General Manager

Post#92 » by euroleague » Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm

wackbone wrote:
euroleague wrote:
Tony Snell wrote:Yeah, the old three hour games used to truly drag on forever. I remember there being a little initial backlash when we made the switch to two hours, but the number of people being skipped didn't really change. That being said, I don't think an hour is enough time. Some days I am able to monitor throughout the day and be ready the moment it is my turn, but other days, stuff pops up and I am barely able to check drafts at all during the work day.

I think the last 3-4 rounds are what slows it down. Figuring out which role-players to get likely won't effect your team, and most teams already have their core guys set-up.

I actually liked the 30 second draft we did, but it was too hard to Host (changing colors, keeping track of turns, etc.). Really should program an app that does all that...
wackbone
RealGM

Post#93 » by wackbone » Wed May 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Just got home, will be a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

BAF Celtics

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#94 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 pm

spree8 wrote:.

Doug Christie never played in a finals game.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#95 » by 8on » Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:

Which means we have to wait for spree to change his pick.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,472

Post#96 » by spree8 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:

I didn’t think so either until I was browsing NBA Finals rosters on Bball reference and saw he was on the 2006 Mavs.

Tony Snell
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by Tony Snell » Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 pm

8on wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

Historically, we don't pause for erroneous picks.
8on
RealGM

Post#98 » by 8on » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Tony Snell wrote:
8on wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Doug Christie never played in a finals game.

Historically, we don't pause for erroneous picks.

We don’t? I thought we did.
8on
RealGM

Post#99 » by 8on » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm

spree8 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

I didn’t think so either until I was browsing NBA Finals rosters on Bball reference and saw he was on the 2006 Mavs.

True, but he didn’t play in the Finals.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#100 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm

spree8 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

He was waived in November of that season.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games