Post#81 » by MadNESS » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:34 pm

Almost went CP3 instead of Duncan and let Curry run around as a SG lol
LAKESHOW
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,984

Re: Cross-decades draft, East vs West, Discussion thread 

Post#82 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:42 pm

How many FGA are you guys planning on having off the bench.

Im currently leaning at 11....

only cause I want to load up my starters....IDK
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#83 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:49 pm

wackbone wrote:Ultimate game of cat and mouse

Up
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,403

Post#84 » by wackbone » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:30 pm

MadNESS wrote:Almost went CP3 instead of Duncan and let Curry run around as a SG lol

Up

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#85 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:43 pm

Well this is the most stacked roster I have ever assembled...CP3/Durant/AD/Walton all at peak level [I prefer 2015 CP3 over 2008/2009].

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,838

Post#86 » by uberhikari » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:47 pm

I've done the easy part. MJ's FGAs are making my life miserable trying to build a bench, though.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Re: Cross-decades draft, East vs West, Sign-ups 

Post#87 » by MadNESS » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:05 pm

flaco wrote:We are 10 right now.

• flaco - Milwaukee Bucks
  • MadNESS - Los Angeles Lakers
  • Dr Positivity - Toronto Raptors
  • spree8 - New York Knicks
  • Colbinii - Minnesota Timberwolves
  • Blazer50 - Golden State Warriors
  • Larry_Russell - Boston Celtics
  • Stan - pick a team
  • uberhikari - Cleveland Cavaliers
  • wackbone - pick a team

Six eastern teams
Two western teams
Two unspecified teams. If we end up needing more western teams, I'm happy to play as the Sonics.

Was hoping for 12 participants. Two more and we are good to go!

Up flaco
LAKESHOW
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by uberhikari » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:21 pm

These teams are stacked, but they have a critical flaw. There's only one basketball and some of these teams look like they wouldn't have any synergy.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#89 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:27 pm

uberhikari wrote:These teams are stacked, but they have a critical flaw. There's only one basketball and some of these teams look like they wouldn't have any synergy.

Blazer and Flaco are the only two teams I could see where there is only one ball could be an issue.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#90 » by MadNESS » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:29 pm

wackbone wrote:
MadNESS wrote:Almost went CP3 instead of Duncan and let Curry run around as a SG lol

Up

Up Wack
LAKESHOW
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by uberhikari » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Colbinii wrote:
uberhikari wrote:These teams are stacked, but they have a critical flaw. There's only one basketball and some of these teams look like they wouldn't have any synergy.

Blazer and Flaco are the only two teams I could see where there is only one ball could be an issue.

I see at least 2 more teams than that. But others are always free to disagree.
flaco
Veteran
And1: 875

Post#92 » by flaco » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:

This is why I drafted Stockton who's a low-usage, pass-first PG. All time leader in assists (and steals) by a wide margin. He's literally the perfect guy to keep everyone involved on offense, hence keep everyone happy.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#93 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:44 pm

flaco wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

This is why I drafted Stockton who's a low-usage, pass-first PG. All time leader in assists (and steals) by a wide margin. He's literally the perfect guy to keep everyone involved on offense, hence to keep everyone happy.

I agree and also don't understand why it matters. We are limited to 88 FGA. If anything, having Kobe or Hakeem being forced to go one on one as no help can come makes the team dangerous. A team can't defend all of a teams first options successfully in today's NBA given the spacing.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,984

Post#94 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:
flaco wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

This is why I drafted Stockton who's a low-usage, pass-first PG. All time leader in assists (and steals) by a wide margin. He's literally the perfect guy to keep everyone involved on offense, hence to keep everyone happy.

I agree and also don't understand why it matters. We are limited to 88 FGA. If anything, having Kobe or Hakeem being forced to go one on one as no help can come makes the team dangerous. A team can't defend all of a teams first options successfully in today's NBA given the spacing.

Because of this is why I chose to go the route that I did. The east cannot stack up to the west offensively, imo, but; hopefully with the defenders I have I can at least give some pause to all the offense that is out there.

My weakest link defensively is Reggie, but I think I have enough versatility with the guys on the team that I can hopefully hide him somewhere.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by uberhikari » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Colbinii wrote:
flaco wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

The way I envision these games is not as a series of 1 on 1 matchups. I'm actually imagining how these players would play together. If you draft Curry I'm thinking, "Who is going to pass Curry the ball to maximize his off-ball gravity?" If you draft Michael Jordan I'm thinking, "What did Jordan not have during his career that would have made him even more lethal?"

Otherwise, we're just drafting all-star teams that play in some hypothetical way they never played in real life.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,582

Post#96 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:01 pm

Obviously Stockton/Kobe/George/Dirk/Hakeem is ridiculous and I have no problem with the fit, but not sure how flaco makes that work FGA wise. A 50s-70s bench player with no multiplier won't help either.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#97 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:09 pm

uberhikari wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
flaco wrote:This is why I drafted Stockton who's a low-usage, pass-first PG. All time leader in assists (and steals) by a wide margin. He's literally the perfect guy to keep everyone involved on offense, hence to keep everyone happy.

The way I envision these games is not as a series of 1 on 1 matchups. I'm actually imagining how these players would play together. If you draft Curry I'm thinking, "Who is going to pass Curry the ball to maximize his off-ball gravity?" If you draft Michael Jordan I'm thinking, "What did Jordan not have during his career that would have made him even more lethal?"

Otherwise, we're just drafting all-star teams that play in some hypothetical way they never played in real life.

My point isnt this is a one on one game, I dont get why you would think that.

My point is Kobe and Hakeem [and Dirk] led teams to championships while being all-time great isolation scorers. All teams who have ever won championships required players who could make difficult shots given how good defenses are in the post-season. When you have multiple stars, this alleviates the pressure a defense can place on any one star. Imagine Hakeem being able to have full spacing and if he is ever double teamed, he is passing to Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitzki rather than Sam Cassell or Kenny Smith. Once Dirk or Kobe get the ball in space they are going to convert at a much higher rate than Cassell or Smith would.

The argument against Flaco is "Not all these players will be maximized" but instead of focusing on that, we should focus on "How much less will these players be than when they were #1 options". Is Kobe Bryant going to be relegated to a corner 3 spot up guy? of course not. He is still going to be extremely value, far more than any role player would be.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by uberhikari » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

My point is Kobe and Hakeem [and Dirk] led teams to championships while being all-time great isolation scorers. All teams who have ever won championships required players who could make difficult shots given how good defenses are in the post-season. When you have multiple stars, this alleviates the pressure a defense can place on any one star. Imagine Hakeem being able to have full spacing and if he is ever double teamed, he is passing to Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitzki rather than Sam Cassell or Kenny Smith. Once Dirk or Kobe get the ball in space they are going to convert at a much higher rate than Cassell or Smith would.

The argument against Flaco is "Not all these players will be maximized" but instead of focusing on that, we should focus on "How much less will these players be than when they were #1 options". Is Kobe Bryant going to be relegated to a corner 3 spot up guy? of course not. He is still going to be extremely value, far more than any role player would be.

I didn't mention anything about 1 on 1, you brought that up. I also didn't specifically mention flaco's team, again, you brought that up. I never said anything about all the players on flaco's team won't be maximized. You're repeatedly arguing against stuff I never said or even implied.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing. Because you've twisted my words into something I didn't say.
flaco
Veteran
And1: 875

Post#99 » by flaco » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:44 pm

Colbinii wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

The 3+D spot up guy in this lineup would be Paul George. Dream and Kobe would be options 1A/1B (or vice versa, depending on matchups). Dirk would be the clear #3 option, sort of like Chris Bosh was behind LeBron and D-Wade or Kevin Love behind LeBron and Kyrie. Stockton would be a low-usage facilitator/team-first glue guy.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#100 » by MadNESS » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:Well this is the most stacked roster I have ever assembled...CP3/Durant/AD/Walton all at peak level [I prefer 2015 CP3 over 2008/2009].

Up
LAKESHOW

Return to Trades and Transactions Games