Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,785

Re: Future Games / New Ideas / Suggestion Thread 

Post#1241 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Aug 7, 2017 5:22 am

BdeRegt wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
That seems a prevalent concern among people but unless you can't shake up the first round without having that type of thing. For instance, 90s to present will have Shaq, Curry, Kobe, and Nash as only MVPs. The other teams should have better number 2s and 3s.

Barkley and Magic as well, plus CP3 would have be considered at or near that level. In terms of the supporting stars, if we go 90s to present I can actually see a lot of them being at a similar level and kind of negating the advantage of being at the bottom of the order.

Forgot about them. I don't think Clippers CP3 is on MVP level. Id have Durant over him. This is more to my point though. You'll never change first round and still have everyone get a MVP.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Honestly, I'd be fine either way. In fact my preference would be 90s now, not only to restrict the pool but also to reduce the era differences which can make some games a bit weird to judge.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#1242 » by Laimbeer » Tue Aug 8, 2017 9:49 am

BdeRegt wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
You could do any time periods. I don't have huge opinion on it. I tend to favor more restrictive so would be game for 90s to present but could do 60s to present just as easily if want to get more top end guys. I'm lately just of mind that I want to try to mix up the first round picks. I like the idea of Webber as the best player on a team for instance and I am fine with him as my best player.

I also want to shake up the first round, but my only concern is where you have 8 or 9 MVP-calibre guys and then the rest being a clear level below. May have to go 70s to now for that reason. Either way I like the idea.

That seems a prevalent concern among people but unless you can't shake up the first round without having that type of thing. For instance, 90s to present will have Shaq, Curry, Kobe, and Nash as only MVPs. The other teams should have better number 2s and 3s.

I'd agree the heavily restricted pools without an exception are an issue for a number of people. We went days and still ended up with just 12 for the ACC/PAC game. I will play in some, but it's my strong preference we not create a playing field quite that lopsided.

We had some good ideas that finished strong in the last poll - random draft years, 35% from three, one player from each college conference, etc.

If we want to shake up the first round, Fade has been kicking around an idea where we would create a list of top tier, typical first round guys and simply ban them from the draft. That's an interesting one, too.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#1243 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:45 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:I also want to shake up the first round, but my only concern is where you have 8 or 9 MVP-calibre guys and then the rest being a clear level below. May have to go 70s to now for that reason. Either way I like the idea.

I'd agree the heavily restricted pools without an exception are an issue for a number of people. We went days and still ended up with just 12 for the ACC/PAC game. I will play in some, but it's my strong preference we not create a playing field quite that lopsided.

We had some good ideas that finished strong in the last poll - random draft years, 35% from three, one player from each college conference, etc.

If we want to shake up the first round, Fade has been kicking around an idea where we would create a list of top tier, typical first round guys and simply ban them from the draft. That's an interesting one, too.

The problem I've been having is that the restricted pools haven't been even.. I don't have a problem with Elton Brand and Klay Thompson being first round talent in a given draft, I just don't want 14 people getting Klay Thompson in the first and 2 getting MJ and Duncan.

No amount of talent level beyond that can even it out, and if there is the talent beyond that, MJ and Duncan is getting it too..

In the Tobacco Road game, the teams that had the 1,3,5 and 10 picks are left. The teams that picked 2 and 4 got knocked out by the teams that picked 1 and 3. The one outlier left only beat the teams who picked 7 and 8. That's not an even game

For Fade's idea, the PC Board is working on a top #100 (they also have a past one), we could grab the top whatever off of that and eliminate it? or they also have a top 40 peaks list that we could knock off
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1244 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:56 pm

Timmaytime wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:

The problem I've been having is that the restricted pools haven't been even.. I don't have a problem with Elton Brand and Klay Thompson being first round talent in a given draft, I just don't want 14 people getting Klay Thompson in the first and 2 getting MJ and Duncan.

No amount of talent level beyond that can even it out, and if there is the talent beyond that, MJ and Duncan is getting it too..

In the Tobacco Road game, the teams that had the 1,3,5 and 10 picks are left. The teams that picked 2 and 4 got knocked out by the teams that picked 1 and 3. The one outlier left only beat the teams who picked 7 and 8. That's not an even game

For Fade's idea, the PC Board is working on a top #100 (they also have a past one), we could grab the top whatever off of that and eliminate it? or they also have a top 40 peaks list that we could knock off

Yeah this is the issue I keep having. The more you restrict the pool, the more the few remaining elite players stand out, unless you eliminate them altogether. It's better if everyone has to feel the effect of the restrictions rather than just the 75% of the drafters.

100 players is far more than I would want to eliminate for my idea though. It's really just the absolute elite I'm thinking of - the guys who make it so that guys like Patrick Ewing or Clyde Drexler are completely inadequate as first options. Doubt it would stretch to more than about 20 or 25.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1245 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:59 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

PC Board is working on a top #100, we could grab the top whatever off of that and eliminate it? or they also have a top 40 peaks list that we could knock off

Yeah this is the issue I keep having. The more you restrict the pool, the more the few remaining elite players stand out, unless you eliminate them altogether. It's better if everyone has to feel the effect of the restrictions rather than just the 75% of the drafters.

100 players is far more than I would want to eliminate for my idea though. It's really just the absolute elite I'm thinking of - the guys who make it so that guys like Patrick Ewing or Clyde Drexler are completely inadequate as first options. Doubt it would stretch to more than about 20 or 25.

We could just do the top 40 peaks then? Think that would make an interesting list. Best available types would be Pippen, Hardaway, Drexler, Brand, etc..
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1246 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:06 pm

Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:

PC Board is working on a top #100, we could grab the top whatever off of that and eliminate it? or they also have a top 40 peaks list that we could knock off

We could just do the top 40 peaks then? Think that would make an interesting list. Best available types would be Pippen, Hardaway, Drexler, Brand, etc..

It's a good starting point, but not everyone on that list is the type of player I'd want to eliminate. McHale, Gilmore, Frazier - I was thinking I'd want to keep that level of player in. Even the peak versions of those guys wouldn't be considered first rounders under normal circumstances. I'm uncertain about the likes of Ewing and West.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1247 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:10 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Yeah this is the issue I keep having. The more you restrict the pool, the more the few remaining elite players stand out, unless you eliminate them altogether. It's better if everyone has to feel the effect of the restrictions rather than just the 75% of the drafters.

It's a good starting point, but not everyone on that list is the type of player I'd want to eliminate. McHale, Gilmore, Frazier - I was thinking I'd want to keep that level of player in. Even the peak versions of those guys wouldn't be considered first rounders under normal circumstances. I'm uncertain about the likes of Ewing and West.

What about just the first 25 or 30 off of that? Peak West and Ewing are that good, just in deep positions
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1248 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:18 pm

Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:

What about just the first 25 or 30 off of that? Peak West and Ewing are that good, just in deep positions

That seems about right, except the project was completed in 2015 and a couple of other names would need to be added. Kawhi for sure, Harden probably moves up as well. Westbrook is hard to peg given how polarising he is.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#1249 » by BdeRegt » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:18 pm

To me, just eliminating the top 25 or 40 or whatever is basically just moving everyone up a round or 2 or whatever. I'm not sure you really change things up much. I guess I don't really care that much about a draft being "fair" in every slot. Every draft is going to have some spot that ends up being preferred but that person still has to draft well.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1250 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:24 pm

BdeRegt wrote:To me, just eliminating the top 25 or 40 or whatever is basically just moving everyone up a round or 2 or whatever. I'm not sure you really change things up much. I guess I don't really care that much about a draft being "fair" in every slot. Every draft is going to have some spot that ends up being preferred but that person still has to draft well.

The object of my idea is specifically to restrict the first couple of rounds. We do drafts where we restrict the entire pool all the time. Like I said though, I prefer when everyone has to build around a different type of player, rather than just the bottom 2/3 of the draft order. It makes things more interesting to me.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1251 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:25 pm

BdeRegt wrote:To me, just eliminating the top 25 or 40 or whatever is basically just moving everyone up a round or 2 or whatever. I'm not sure you really change things up much. I guess I don't really care that much about a draft being "fair" in every slot. Every draft is going to have some spot that ends up being preferred but that person still has to draft well.

I don't agree about a draft not being fair in a sense to every slot. Sure, it is the responsibility of the person to draft well, but it's assumed that everybody will draft well. Everybody in the game needs a legitimate path to victory. I didn't see that path from the lower spots in the Tobacco Road game, so I didn't play. I imagine that's why a lot chose not to play that game. The difference between MJ or Duncan and Elton Brand is so much bigger than the difference between Gary Payton and Kevin Johnson.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#1252 » by MadNESS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 am

This goofy idea just popped into my head.

All white dudes (and European guys) + one exception.
LAKESHOW
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#1253 » by Laimbeer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am

MadNESS wrote:This goofy idea just popped into my head.

Kind of funny and I like it. What about multiracial guys? My first reaction is they aren't eligible.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#1254 » by wackbone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:48 am

Laimbeer wrote:

Kind of funny and I like it. What about multiracial guys? My first reaction is they aren't eligible.

Was wondering that too. First guys that popped in my head were Kidd and Griffin, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Also, I don't think it should say all white dudes and Europeans, as one of the first white dudes to pop in my head is from South America. Just saying...

Also x2, what time frame should we use? A lot of the best white dudes played a long time ago, but that might make the judging difficult if we use a bunch of guys from the 60s while also having current players

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1255 » by MadNESS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm

wackbone wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Was wondering that too. First guys that popped in my head were Kidd and Griffin, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Also, I don't think it should say all white dudes and Europeans, as one of the first white dudes to pop in my head is from South America. Just saying...

Also x2, what time frame should we use? A lot of the best white dudes played a long time ago, but that might make the judging difficult if we use a bunch of guys from the 60s while also having current players

The more I think of it, there's enough guys to do ALL strictly white guys + one exception. No European guys and no multicultural guys.

I think it would have to be an ABBBBBB draft though?
LAKESHOW
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1256 » by Timmaytime » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

MadNESS wrote:
wackbone wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

The more I think of it, there's enough guys to do ALL strictly white guys + one exception. No European guys and no multicultural guys.

assuming we do the exception the same as we usually do (i.e you can only have one MVP), there's one team that will have a pretty serious advantage if drafted well.

I like the idea though. I'd be down to try it

*edit actually the pool is deeper at the top than I thought it was, I stand corrected. I think I would still prefer Euros (strictly Euros) in it though...
wackbone
RealGM

Post#1257 » by wackbone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Timmaytime wrote:
MadNESS wrote:
wackbone wrote:Was wondering that too. First guys that popped in my head were Kidd and Griffin, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

assuming we do the exception the same as we usually do (i.e you can only have one MVP), there's one team that will have a pretty serious advantage if drafted well.

*edit actually the pool is deeper at the top than I thought it was, I stand corrected. I think I would still prefer Euros (strictly Euros) in it though...

I don't see how we do this draft without including Europeans...

BAF Celtics

Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1258 » by Timmaytime » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:14 pm

wackbone wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
MadNESS wrote:

Yeah, options run out quickly without them
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1259 » by MadNESS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Timmaytime wrote:
wackbone wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:

So like Dirk, Gasol's, Etc.?
LAKESHOW
wackbone
RealGM

Post#1260 » by wackbone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

MadNESS wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
wackbone wrote:I don't see how we do this draft without including Europeans...

So like Dirk, Gasol's, Etc.?

Yes, 100%

BAF Celtics

Return to Trades and Transactions Games