Future Games / New Ideas / Suggestion Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,053

Re: Future Games / New Ideas / Suggestion Thread 

Post#1401 » by Laimbeer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I had in mind everyone drafting from the same pool of players like usual (Possibly with a system like in Dario's using different teams in each round) instead of 8 two man drafts, but I guess that way is possible as well

I really like the idea of two man drafts followed by a playoff style matchup. Those could go very quickly and could be really different. I'd prefer a random season for each matchup as Bde suggested, it would make judging easier and take out a lot of guesswork.

Still, Roddy's 2017-18 game probably should be next.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,784

Post#1402 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I had in mind everyone drafting from the same pool of players like usual (Possibly with a system like in Dario's using different teams in each round) instead of 8 two man drafts, but I guess that way is possible as well

I really like the idea of two man drafts followed by a playoff style matchup. Those could go very quickly and could be really different. I'd prefer a random season for each matchup as Bde suggested, it would make judging easier and take out a lot of guesswork.

Not sure if that's still feasible at this rate. Between signups and the actual draft we'd be running into the season itself, which kind of undercuts the idea a bit.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1403 » by Laimbeer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Not sure if that's still feasible at this rate. Between signups and the actual draft we'd be running into the season itself, which kind of undercuts the idea a bit.

By a week or so? I don't think it's a huge deal.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#1404 » by Zion Wembanyama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 am

Anyone have any ideas on how we can garner interest in GMAT again?
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#1405 » by Blazer50 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:58 am

With as many guys going down early and some guys out of favor (Meyers Leonard, Jahlil Okafor, etc.) there might be some interest.
One wrinkle would be to redraft the 2017 draft with the established order?

A sign up sheet to see who is interested and whether we can cover the full 30 teams would be interesting. I think there are a lot of us waiting for a GMAT to start instead of the on going draft games.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#1406 » by Zion Wembanyama » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Blazer50 wrote:With as many guys going down early and some guys out of favor (Meyers Leonard, Jahlil Okafor, etc.) there might be some interest.
One wrinkle would be to redraft the 2017 draft with the established order?

A sign up sheet to see who is interested and whether we can cover the full 30 teams would be interesting. I think there are a lot of us waiting for a GMAT to start instead of the on going draft games.

All it takes is a respectable member to start up a thread and enough people with interest and we're back. How about starting a thread?
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#1407 » by euroleague » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 am

I would like to do an old-man draft. Only players over 30/35.

A 'no MVP' draft. This would mean team cohesiveness is far more important than just stacking talent. In this same line, could also do All-NBA 2nd draft. Only draft players in years they were second team all-NBA.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1408 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:36 am

An over-33 draft was mooted some time ago and seemed to have traction, but for some reason it never got off the ground.

We've already done a no-MVP draft.

I'm not keen on the last idea at all. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, we'd basically end up with a bunch of All-Star teams.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#1409 » by euroleague » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:An over-33 draft was mooted some time ago and seemed to have traction, but for some reason it never got off the ground.

I'm not keen on the last idea at all. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, we'd basically end up with a bunch of All-Star teams.

I also like a head2head draft idea. Where it's a tournament format, and each match-up has players drafting head2head from either a year or a conference. Two players could also finish a draft within minutes.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1410 » by Laimbeer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:17 pm

euroleague wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:An over-33 draft was mooted some time ago and seemed to have traction, but for some reason it never got off the ground.

I also like a head2head draft idea. Where it's a tournament format, and each match-up has players drafting head2head from either a year or a conference. Two players could also finish a draft within minutes.

I like it too, but I'd suggest it be a season. I think a division would be too deep for two people. It also removes the guesswork about era, style of play, rules, etc.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#1411 » by euroleague » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
euroleague wrote:

I like it too, but I'd suggest it be a season. I think a division would be too deep for two people. It also removes the guesswork about era, style of play, rules, etc.

I can't host it, because my hours don't coincide with most users. If you would like to host it, feel free to sign me up.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1412 » by Laimbeer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:18 pm

I'll throw this out, may be one for the pipeline - a tiered draft.

One MVP
Two players highest accolade is all-NBA
Three players highest accolade all-star
Four players never all-stars

Here's the catch - there are four rounds, and each round you pick one of the groups above. In the first round you might take your MVP, or your three all-stars, etc.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1413 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:48 am

I'm taking a short break but I wouldn't mind running the oldies draft (maybe 32 and older) whenever this current one is winding down. Can't remember why we never ended up doing that idea, I thought it was fairly popular at the time.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#1414 » by BdeRegt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 am

Laimbeer wrote:I'll throw this out, may be one for the pipeline - a tiered draft.

One MVP

Here's the catch - there are four rounds, and each round you pick one of the groups above. In the first round you might take your MVP, or your three all-stars, etc.

I love this idea. So much strategy
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1415 » by Laimbeer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 am

BdeRegt wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I'll throw this out, may be one for the pipeline - a tiered draft.

One MVP

I know you like larger rosters, but my math skills need work. For some reason I thought that was eight players. :lol:

What if it's three rounds

One MVP (Batman)
Two players highest accolade is all-NBA (Robins)
Five players highest accolade all-star (Supporting cast)

In the original idea I can see that last tier with maybe a couple of throw away players (micro FGAS, no minutes). That might provide too much wiggle room in terms of FGA strategy, etc.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1416 » by Laimbeer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:25 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:I'm taking a short break but I wouldn't mind running the oldies draft (maybe 32 and older) whenever this current one is winding down. Can't remember why we never ended up doing that idea, I thought it was fairly popular at the time.

Cosigned, but if the idea is the age altering the player pool, I'd go at least 33. Most players are still playing at a high level at 32.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1417 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:I'm taking a short break but I wouldn't mind running the oldies draft (maybe 32 and older) whenever this current one is winding down. Can't remember why we never ended up doing that idea, I thought it was fairly popular at the time.

Cosigned, but if the idea is the age altering the player pool, I'd go at least 33. Most players are still playing at a high level at 32.

I'm leery of doing that because I want everyone to at least have a legitimate building block to start with. The number of stars is already taking a huge hit even if we start at 32. Any older and the top of the draft would start to look extremely thin.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#1418 » by BdeRegt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:

One MVP

I know you like larger rosters, but my math skills need work. For some reason I thought that was eight players. :lol:

One MVP (Batman)

In the original idea I can see that last tier with maybe a couple of throw away players (micro FGAS, no minutes). That might provide too much wiggle room in terms of FGA strategy, etc.

How about still 4 and just reduce the numbers:

One MVP
2 All-NBA
2 All-Star
3 never all-star
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1419 » by Laimbeer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 pm

BdeRegt wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:

One MVP (Batman)

One MVP
2 All-NBA
2 All-Star
3 never all-star

Those tiers make it a fairly easy decision to draft your all-NBA guys before your all-stars, and your all-stars before your non all-stars.

How about

One MVP
2 All-NBA
3 All-Star
2 never all-star

It makes the top three tiers harder to prioritize and makes for a lot of strategy in the first three rounds. The 2 non-all stars would be filler to complete your roster in round four.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#1420 » by BdeRegt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

One MVP (Batman)

One MVP
2 All-NBA
2 All-Star
3 never all-star

Those tiers make it a fairly easy decision to draft your all-NBA guys before your all-stars, and your all-stars before your non all-stars.

How about

One MVP
2 All-NBA
3 All-Star
2 never all-star

It makes the top three tiers harder to prioritize and makes for a lot of strategy in the first three rounds. The 2 non-all stars would be filler to complete your roster in round four.

How about your original plan with 10 person teams? I think I liked that best. We could do 8 guys must play 8 minutes per match up so gives rotation flexibility.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games