And1: 23,049

Re: Pacific Division Draft - R1 - Wackbone vs SuperDario 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:13 am

Starting Lineup
C - '10 Marcus Camby - 6.8 FGA - League Leader in DBPM, DRB%, & TRB%
PF - '09 Pau Gasol - 12.9 FGA - NBA Champion, 3rd Team All-NBA
SF - '07 Ron Artest - 14.9 FGA
SG - '06 Jason Richardson - 19.2 FGA
PG - '99 Jason Kidd - 14.0 FGA - 1st Team All-NBA, 1st Team All-Defense, League Leader in Assists & VORP

Bench
'93 AC Green - 8.6 FGA
'07 Corey Maggette - 10.8 FGA
'16 Pablo Prigioni - 2.5 FGA

89.7/90 FGA

Rotation
Camby (32) / Gasol (16)
Gasol (22) / Green (26)
Artest (38) / Maggette (10)
Richardson (38) / Maggette (10)
Kidd (40) / Prigioni (8)

Write-up
I really like wackbone's team but this is going to be a tough match-up for him.

Offense: There's nowhere for Tiny to hide in this one. They just didn't make point guards like Jason Kidd in '76, and there's no way Tiny bumps up to JRich or Artest who put up 23.2ppg and 18.8ppg respectively (with even greater size advantages.) We're thrilled to have an all-time great floor general in his prime running our offense. Kidd should have a similar affect on JRich than he did on RJ, except JRich is even better IMO. We will force it into Pau's hands on the low block early and often, mostly for buckets but also as a secondary facilitator. Artest is very capable- arguably at his offensive peak- and Camby's mid range competency helps to space the floor at the 5. Maggette provides firepower and versatility off the bench.

Defense: Kidd/Artest will be a nightmare for Tiny/Klay respectively, while JRich gets bumped up to Horry. Pau and Camby will both spend a lot of time on Boogie. When they're both in the game, Pau gets the honor because I prefer Camby contesting Draymond on the perimeter and providing help D as needed. When only 1 of the 2 is in, we're going Green on Green at the 4.

Good luck wackbone. May the best team win.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#3 » by wackbone » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:32 pm

PG: Tiny Archibald (40) / Leandro Barbosa (8)
SG: Klay Thompson (36) / Leandro Barbosa (12)
SF: Robert Horry (20) / P.J. Tucker (28)
PF: Draymond Green (32) / Robert Horry (16)
C: DeMarcus Cousins (36) / Clifford Rozier (8) / Draymond Green (4)

FGA:
Tiny Archibald (72-73) - 22.4... 34.0 ppg, 11.4 apg
DeMarcus Cousins (16-17) - 19.9... 27.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.3 bpg
Klay Thompson (14-15) - 16.9... 21.7 ppg, 1.1 spg
Draymond Green (15-16) - 10.1... 14.0 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 7.4 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.4 bpg
P.J. Tucker (16-17) - 6.0
Robert Horry (01-02) - 5.7
Leandro Barbosa (04-05) - 5.6
Clifford Rozier (95-96) - 2.3
Total: 88.9/90

Write up:

Best of luck Dario.

Offensively, we love our fit. Tiny is our primary ball handler and play maker. Kidd definitely has the length advantage, sure, but Tiny definitely has the speed advantage, and should be able to get around Kidd. Artest is an elite defender, but again I think Klay will take advantage of his speed. I don't see Gasol nor Camby being able to effectively follow Draymond around the court, and don't think either will be able to completely slow down Cousins, who I think really came into his own this season. Beyond Tiny's playmaking, Klay (43.9% on 7.1 attempts), Horry (37.4% on 2.5), Draymond (38.8% on 3.2), Cousins (36.1 on 5.0), Barbosa (36.7% on 2.2), and Tucker (35.7% on 2.4) provide a collective elite group of 3 point shooters. Even Cousins did well this year. Having both of my main frontcourt players being great 3 point shooters forces both of Dario's frontcourt members to have to follow them out to the perimeter, which would open up the paint for Tiny's drives to the basket.

Defensively, Tiny is a liability, I will admit that. Fortunately for me, I don't think Kidd is quite the player to go off scoring. Kidd is best as a distributor, not a scorer, and his options to dish to here won't allow for much offense from my opponent. Klay will guard JRich, and I think he will do well. Horry should also do well on Artest, and Draymond won't allow Pau to do much. Cousins isn't the best defender either, but he just has to deal with Camby, who scored 7.5 ppg in the chosen season, so we will be fine.

Summary:
Kidd is more of a distributor than scorer, so I don't think he will be able to take advantage of Tiny enough to completely own the series.
Beyond Tiny/Kidd, we feel confident in the rest of the matchups in the starting 5. Klay on JRich, Horry on Artest, Dray on Pau, and Cousins on Camby.
Insanely elite 3 point shooting, forcing Dario's front court out of the paint, freeing it up for Tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Post#4 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Vote:
Spoiler:
SuperDario

Reasoning: This is going to be a good close defensive battle. The main difference I see in this one is Jason Kidd. Although he was a better scorer in his later years, he did average nearly 17 PPG, which was his second highest total that season in his career.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#5 » by BdeRegt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Vote: Wackbone

I think Pau will struggle in this match up and Wackbone has enough firepower to take this match up although I worry about his SF position down the road.
KNguYear
Senior
And1: 48

Post#6 » by KNguYear » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm

I absolutely love that front court of Draymond and Boogie, although they might get a combined 30 technical fouls a year. The JRich and Klay battle is actually a very interesting one, but in the end I think Wackbone has the upper hand offensively.
Vote: Wackbone

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using RealGM mobile app
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Kidd isn't really the type of guy to "punish" a weaker individual defender. I guess he could take Tiny into the post some but nothing that will change the course of the series. Also, Camby tends to be reluctant to leave the paint so I don't think he's a good option to guard Draymond. Wackbone has a pretty potent core between Tiny, Boogie, Klay, and Draymond, and the defense is solid as well (although I'm not so keen on Horry guarding 3s at this point in his career).

Vote: wackbone
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#8 » by 8on » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Kidd/Artest probably won't be a nightmare for Tiny/Klay. Tiny and Klay are just too good. If anything, wack's frontcourt advantage is clear as day.

vote: wackbone
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#9 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:42 pm

What I think people seem to overlook about my Kidd/Tiny claim is that facilitators become more efficient against worse defenders- not just scorers. His significant size/strength advantage would be huge in penetration.

But more than that- in response to Dantley- how is one of the best perimeter defenders of all time not going to be a nightmare for Klay who is mostly relegated to catch and shoot situations? If anything I feel like I undersold the impact he would have.

Good game though wack I liked this match-up for me but I do really like your team.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

Return to Trades and Transactions Games