Post#1 » by BdeRegt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm

First to 4 votes advances
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Re: Pacific Division Draft - R1 - dantley vs Parsnips 

Post#2 » by parsnips33 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:45 pm

PG: 16-17 Chris Paul (12.9 FGA)
SG: 71-72 Gail Goodrich (20.7*0.85 = 17.6 FGA)
SF: 06-07 Shawn Marion (13.4 FGA)
PF: 06-07 Amar'e Stoudemire (12.9 FGA)
C: 03-04 Brad Miller (10.2 FGA)

R: 06-07 James Jones (5.8 FGA)
R: 09-10 Jared Dudley (6.0 FGA)
R: 03-04 Karl Malone (9.5 FGA)

Total: 88.3/90

Rotation:

Chris Paul (38) / Gail Goodrich (10)
Gail Goodrich (28) / Jared Dudley (10) /James Jones (10)
Shawn Marion (32) / Jared Dudley (16)
Amar'e Stoudemire (26) / Karl Malone (14) / Shawn Marion (8)
Brad Miller (36) / Amar'e Stoudemire (12)

Writeup:

We will run a fast paced, dynamic offense, built around CP3, Goodrich, and Amar'e. We have plenty of good midrange shooters (Paul, Miller, Goodrich) in addition to potent roll threats in Stoudemire and Malone. Paul, in addition to being an all time great floor general, is a top tier defender at PG, while Marion can guard just about anyone from 2-4. Dudley has similar defensive versatility off the bench.

Matchup specific:

Time for the rematch we've all been waiting for

Shaq is obviously a tough matchup, but I'll be able to send help off of Walton and especially Worthy, who provides no 3 pt shooting in his 40 minutes at SF. The offense should be able to run great in this matchup, getting Dantley's slow footed bigs up and involved in guarding the PNR. Goodrich should be able to torch Joe Johnson as well. I see my offense outscoring Dantley's, which might be a bit too Shaq centric without a top tier guard to keep the defense honest.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#3 » by 8on » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 pm

PG Norm Nixon (36) / Brent Barry (12)
SG Joe Johnson (36) / Brent Barry (12)
SF James Worthy (40) / Steve Novak (8)
PF Bill Walton (24) / Jon Leuer (24)
C Shaquille O'Neal (40) / Bill Walton (8)

PG Norm Nixon (36) / Brent Barry (12)
SG Joe Johnson (36) / Brent Barry (12)
SF James Worthy (40) / Steve Novak (8)
PF Bill Walton (24) / Jon Leuer (24)
C Shaquille O'Neal (40) / Bill Walton (8)

FGA
1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal: 21.1
1985-86 James Worthy: 14.5
1978-79 Norm Nixon: 14
2004-05 Joe Johnson: 14.4
1983-84 Bill Walton: 9.4
1995-96 Brent Barry: 7.6
2015-16 Jon Leuer: 7
2009-10 Steve Novak: 2
90/90

First things first: Shaq will guard Amar'e, Walton will guard Brad Miller.

Helping off Walton is a big mistake. This version of Walton is still a deadly midrange shooter, shooting 55.6% from the field.

Worthy will kill you from midrange. In his prime, he won't be stopped by Marion.

Walton and Shaq are both great defenders that won't get killed in the pick and roll. They're both big enough to be able to stay with their men.

Goodrich and JJ will torch each other.

My bench, which includes a scorching hot Brent Barry (41.6% from 3 on 3.7 attempts) and Jonny Leuer (38.6% from 3 on 1.6 attempts) will keep the floor spaced. Our bench is definitely better than an old Malone, Dudley and James Jones.

Don't forget our playmaking. Walton can still make plays out of the high post (3.3 APG) and Shaq can make plays out of the low post (3.8 APG). Walton/Shaq is a deadly big man combo that neither Miller nor Amar'e can guard.

Our biggest advantage is either Miller or Amar'e guarding Shaq. He'll go for 40+ every game with those guys guarding him.

Vote dantley4prez, if you please. :D
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#4 » by BdeRegt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:29 pm

This is interesting match up. I really don't like the fit of Dantleys team. Walton is a center. Worthy and Johnson are both best utilized as PFs next to Shaq in my opinion. I don't know if combining those 3 with Shaq instead of playing people down a position will be effective. I also don't see a bench advantage as really not a fan of Leuers game. However he does have a lot of talent. Amare and Shaq both should be able to score in this series. Paul and Goodrich make me want to go for parsnips.

Vote Dantley. I think the Malone pick costs my vote. Not because it is bad but I much prefer Amare or Marion getting those minutes and think another wing would have allowed him to exploit Dantleys bad fit.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#5 » by Timmaytime » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 pm

post ya years Dantley
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#6 » by Timmaytime » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 pm

BdeRegt wrote:This is interesting match up. I really don't like the fit of Dantleys team. Walton is a center. Worthy and Johnson are both best utilized as PFs next to Shaq in my opinion. I don't know if combining those 3 with Shaq instead of playing people down a position will be effective. I also don't see a bench advantage as really not a fan of Leuers game. However he does have a lot of talent. Amare and Shaq both should be able to score in this series. Paul and Goodrich make me want to go for parsnips.

Vote Dantley. I think the Malone pick costs my vote. Not because it is bad but I much prefer Amare or Marion getting those minutes and think another wing would have allowed him to exploit Dantleys bad fit.

if Joe Johnson is a 4, i'm a 4
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by BdeRegt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Timmaytime wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:This is interesting match up. I really don't like the fit of Dantleys team. Walton is a center. Worthy and Johnson are both best utilized as PFs next to Shaq in my opinion. I don't know if combining those 3 with Shaq instead of playing people down a position will be effective. I also don't see a bench advantage as really not a fan of Leuers game. However he does have a lot of talent. Amare and Shaq both should be able to score in this series. Paul and Goodrich make me want to go for parsnips.

He has played a lot at the 4 for Suns and Jazz. He even played some center in super small lineups. He's plenty strong enough to guard a guy like this version of Walton.
8on
RealGM

Post#8 » by 8on » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Timmaytime wrote:post ya years Dantley

fixed
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#9 » by Statlanta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 am

Vote: parsnips
Amar'e will eat as much as Shaq does if the defense is 6MOY Walton and Leuer.
I unlike BdeRegt actually like Karl Malone (and Shawn Marion) against that frontcourt..
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
8on
RealGM

Post#10 » by 8on » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 am

OrlandoTill wrote:Vote: parsnips
Amar'e will eat as much as Shaq does if the defense is 6MOY Walton and Leuer.
I unlike BdeRegt actually like Karl Malone (and Shawn Marion) against that frontcourt..

In my writeup, I said Shaq will guard Amar'e.
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Post#11 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 am

Vote:
Spoiler:
dantley4prez

Reasoning: This is an intriguing match-up as I don't believe either team has a solid answer defensively for the opponent's best player CP3 or Shaq. Goodrich/Johnson will get their dues. Neither bench swings it one way or the other. In the end, it comes down to which superstar I trust more to be potent/reliable offensively, and that has to be Shaq for me.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,775

Post#12 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 am

I've seen Walton as a 4 in previous games and it always seemed iffy to me, but I'd feel better about it if he were in his athletic prime rather than 31 and ravaged by foot problems. Forcing Shaq to guard Amar'e full-time (especially with CP3 running pick-and-roll) doesn't really seem optimal, and I'd like to see a touch more shooting around the Big Fella in the starting lineup. On the other hand, while I like the Miller-Stoudemire fit offensively, Shaq is going to feast on them at the other end even with so-so spacing. I'll disagree with BdeRegt on Malone as I think even this version was still an excellent player, and it's not like he's playing against a smaller team that could exploit him. Overall I think parsnips's group will be tougher to stop as a unit even though Shaq will certainly get his.

Vote: parsnips33
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#13 » by pelifan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 am

Timmaytime wrote:

ur a 10 babe
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by BdeRegt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 am

To clarify my comment on Malone, it isn't about him as a player. It is about the PF minutes he is taking from Marion. I think with another wing on roster, Marion could torch Walton or Leuer and really exploit the twin towers. This version of Malone isn't going to give them the same trouble in my opinion. I got to keep trying to persuade people onto my small ball Hill.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,775

Post#15 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:06 am

BdeRegt wrote:To clarify my comment on Malone, it isn't about him as a player. It is about the PF minutes he is taking from Marion. I think with another wing on roster, Marion could torch Walton or Leuer and really exploit the twin towers. This version of Malone isn't going to give them the same trouble in my opinion. I got to keep trying to persuade people onto my small ball Hill.

Isn't it kind of problematic when this is your thinking as opposed to just voting for the better team?

Also, it seems a bit odd to use this is as a strike against parsnips when you also think the guy dantley is starting at SG should be playing the 4.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by BdeRegt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:13 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:To clarify my comment on Malone, it isn't about him as a player. It is about the PF minutes he is taking from Marion. I think with another wing on roster, Marion could torch Walton or Leuer and really exploit the twin towers. This version of Malone isn't going to give them the same trouble in my opinion. I got to keep trying to persuade people onto my small ball Hill.

Isn't it kind of problematic when this is your thinking as opposed to just voting for the better team?

Also, it seems a bit odd to use this is as a strike against parsnips when you also think the guy dantley is starting at SG should be playing the 4.

I think small ball makes the better team. Other people think dominant big men will win match ups. The team still has to have talent. I don't just vote for team that plays smaller.

For this match up, as I mentioned, I don't like Dantleys fit but don't think Parsnips is set up to exploit it. It was very close for me and pointed out an area that could have swung me the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#17 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 am

Parsnips covers all the bases with a balanced attack, and I expect the contributions of Worthy/Walton to be diminished in dantley's Shaq-led offense. Talent is close enough that chemistry was the deal breaker.

Vote - parsnips
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by BdeRegt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:40 am

Parsnips leads 3-2
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#19 » by parsnips33 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 am

BdeRegt wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

I think small ball makes the better team. Other people think dominant big men will win match ups. The team still has to have talent. I don't just vote for team that plays smaller.

For this match up, as I mentioned, I don't like Dantleys fit but don't think Parsnips is set up to exploit it. It was very close for me and pointed out an area that could have swung me the other way.

I actually didn't originally plan on taking another big after I had Miller/stat/Marion for precisely the reasons you've been saying. Just didn't see any wins I liked that much, and thought the blend of skills/intangibles Karl brought were a perfect fit
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by BdeRegt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:31 am

parsnips33 wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Isn't it kind of problematic when this is your thinking as opposed to just voting for the better team?

I actually didn't originally plan on taking another big after I had Miller/stat/Marion for precisely the reasons you've been saying. Just didn't see any wins I liked that much, and thought the blend of skills/intangibles Karl brought were a perfect fit

Wings are always scarce. There are some other match ups where I think Malone would help. You almost could have just played your guards Jones and Dudley more in this matchup and given DNP to Malone. It would have gotten my vote but don't know if it might have cost you others. I personally just really like Marion/Amare combo against Shaq/Walton/Leuer.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games