The East Coast Draft (60s to now) - Discussion Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,726

Re: The East Coast Draft (60s to now) - Discussion Thread 

Post#101 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 am

Laimbeer wrote:I like our start with a frontline of KG, Cowens, and Barry. Young Ben will be a nice reserve big who can play with either. He was averaging 12.2 rebs and 2.4 blks per 36 in a 24 MPG role that season.

You're up.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#102 » by Snakebites » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 am

Northwest and Southwest are the only divisions without a draft now.

Should do a draft with those divisions and call it the the "Flyover Country" draft. Or the "Middle America" draft if you want something less condescending.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#103 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:55 am

Snakebites wrote:Northwest and Southwest are the only divisions without a draft now.

Should do a draft with those divisions and call it the the "Flyover Country" draft. Or the "Middle America" draft if you want something less condescending.

That player pool is very intriguing to me. I also like the fact that pretty much all the viable picks will be post-merger, with a majority coming from the 90s or later. When we start going back to the 60s and mixing those guys in with modern players I find the judging to be a real challenge.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#104 » by Laimbeer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Northwest and Southwest are the only divisions without a draft now.

That player pool is very intriguing to me. I also like the fact that pretty much all the viable picks will be post-merger, with a majority coming from the 90s or later. When we start going back to the 60s and mixing those guys in with modern players I find the judging to be a real challenge.

I like it, but it looks like the rooks/soph draft will have enough to get off the ground. Have to say the 60s are a bridge too far for me and would welcome a shorter timeline for that one.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#105 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

I like it, but it looks like the rooks/soph draft will have enough to get off the ground. Have to say the 60s are a bridge too far for me and would welcome a shorter timeline for that one.

I wouldn't worry about it for that one. I believe the Rockets are the oldest franchise in that group and their first season was 1967-68.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#106 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:04 pm

lilroddy has tons of FGAs left, going after AI?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#107 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Tony Snell wrote:Bench be damned, I am going all in on my starters in this one.

You're up.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#108 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Tony Snell wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Tony Snell wrote:Bench be damned, I am going all in on my starters in this one.

So like a lot of the teams you build then?

Yes, very true. I am probably the most anti bench guy around. 10 fga for a bench is pretty extreme though, even for me. Although I can sacrifice a couple fga and not go total peak and not lose much with a couple of my current picks. We will see. There were some solid cheaper PF's available, but I just couldn't pass up Elvin's talent.

Up again
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,283

Post#109 » by lilroddyb » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:lilroddy has tons of FGAs left, going after AI?

I think I'll go with AI. I wanted Isaiah Thomas because he fits much better imo but he had a really poor playoffs by his standards
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#110 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:43 pm

lilroddyb wrote:

I think I'll go with AI. I wanted Isaiah Thomas because he fits much better imo but he had a really poor playoffs by his standards

AI is soooo much better defensively. It's hard to have a complete defensive liability in these games.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 pm

KNguYear wrote:Bobby Jones

He was taken

KNguYear
Senior
And1: 48

Post#112 » by KNguYear » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 pm

SuperDario wrote:

He was taken

Changed it to Anthony Tolliver
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#113 » by Snakebites » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 pm

SuperDario wrote:
lilroddyb wrote:

AI is soooo much better defensively. It's hard to have a complete defensive liability in these games.

Honestly I don't care for Iverson defensively either. His steals look good but that's because he was one of the worst gamblers on defense I've seen. His size doesn't help either.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#114 » by Laimbeer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 pm

SuperDario wrote:

He was taken

I was about to ask how he lasted this long...
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#115 » by 8on » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 pm

basket of deplorables draft :lol:
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Snakebites wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
lilroddyb wrote:

Honestly I don't care for Iverson defensively either. His steals look good but that's because he was one of the worst gamblers on defense I've seen. His size doesn't help either.

I don't value steals all that much but AI and IT are on completely different levels defensively. That's not meant to be praise for Iverson but IT is historically bad (not to mention 3 inches smaller), and even without the steals Iverson was middling. The narrative that AI was a bad defender was mostly an overreaction to the misled "steals leader = great defender" argument.

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:03 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

I don't value steals all that much but AI and IT are on completely different levels defensively. That's not meant to be praise for Iverson but IT is historically bad (not to mention 3 inches smaller), and even without the steals Iverson was middling. The narrative that AI was a bad defender was mostly an overreaction to the misled "steals leader = great defender" argument.

Although I'll add that Iverson did become quite bad defensively when he started to lose that quickness/athleticism.

Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#118 » by Laimbeer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:That player pool is very intriguing to me. I also like the fact that pretty much all the viable picks will be post-merger, with a majority coming from the 90s or later. When we start going back to the 60s and mixing those guys in with modern players I find the judging to be a real challenge.

I wouldn't worry about it for that one. I believe the Rockets are the oldest franchise in that group and their first season was 1967-68.

Looks like the rookies/soph game is going to roll with eight. I think we have enough people interested in this (as well as those who would play both games) that we could scare up at least eight shortly.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#119 » by Timmaytime » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:21 pm

SuperDario wrote:
He was taken

you're up, btw!
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Looks like the rookies/soph game is going to roll with eight. I think we have enough people interested in this (as well as those who would play both games) that we could scare up at least eight shortly.

I'm holding out on the rooks/soph draft so I would definitely be interested in Northwest/Southwest

Return to Trades and Transactions Games