East vs. West FINALS - poopdamoop vs. Smash3* (Smash wins it all!)

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,726

East vs. West FINALS - poopdamoop vs. Smash3* (Smash wins it all!) 

Post#1 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 9, 2017 12:28 pm

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on roster page).

**First to 4 votes wins the championship**
poopdamoop
Assistant Coach
And1: 823

Re: East vs. West FINALS - poopdamoop vs. Smash3 

Post#2 » by poopdamoop » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:47 pm

2013 LeBron James - 27/8/7/2, 41% 3PT, 11.6 BPM, MVP, All-NBA 1st, All-D 1st
2001 Vince Carter - 28/6/4/2, 41% 3PT, 7.0 BPM, All-NBA 2nd
1994 Reggie Miller - 20/3/3/2, 42% 3PT, 4.1 BPM, All-NBA 3rd
1989 Larry Nance - 18/8/3/3, 5.8 BPM, All-D 1st
2006 Jason Kidd - 13/8/7/2, 35% 3PT, 5.5 BPM, All-D 1st
2012 Tyson Chandler - 11/10/1, 71% TS, 4.8 BPM, DPOY, All-NBA 3rd, All-D 2nd
1982 Tree Rollins - 6/8/3, 3.1 BPM
2014 Pablo Prigioni - 4/4/2/1, 46% 3PT, 0.6 BPM

Kidd(38) / Prigioni(10)
Miller(36) / Carter(12)
Carter(26) / James(22)
James(18) / Nance(30)
Chandler(26) / Rollins(16) / Nance(6)

Good luck Smash!

We'll single out Curry in this series - Kidd has a lot of size on him, so we'll run Kidd in the post facilitating for others and run Curry through screens until he gets switched onto LeBron or VC. Draymond is awesome, but he's better when he can roam and be a help defender, and he can't do that if he's defending LeBron full time. Even though Smash has a great defense, these guys still have to chase Miller around tons of screens and stick with Carter on the perimeter, so LeBron can get into the paint fairly easily. Chandler and Rollins will be used as roll-men to pull Duncan away from the basket, and with all the off-ball movement from Miller/Carter and elite playmaking from LeBron/Kidd, we'll be able to find holes and force switches to give ourselves advantages.

Defensively, Kidd should do a fine job chasing Curry around, as this version was still quick and elite defensively. Duncan will be harassed by Chandler, Rollins, and Nance all game (all of whom are All-D players and quick enough to follow him into the mid-post). Green is an iffy shooter, so if he's cold LeBron can free safety a bit to help on Curry penetration, and Brand's minutes will mostly mirror Nance's so we're not worried about him feasting on backups. Hayward is solid, but Carter is a good enough defender to stick with him, and outside of those guys Smash doesn't have too many other threats. Curry/Duncan is obviously the core we need to worry about, and with All-D caliber players at those spots, as well as the ultimate option of throwing prime LeBron on Curry to slow him down, we should get enough stops to let our offense pull us ahead.
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#3 » by Smash3 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:52 pm

G: Stephen Curry (38) | Leandro Barbosa (10)
G: Bruce Bowen (32) | Shane Battier (16)
F: Gordon Hayward (34) | Battier (14)
F: Draymond Green (20) | Elton Brand (28)
C: Tim Duncan (38) | Green (10)

FGA:

2016-17 Stephen Curry (18.2) … All-NBA Second Team, NBA All-Star
2002-03 Tim Duncan (17.2) … MVP, All-NBA First Team, All-Defensive First Team, NBA Finals MVP
2016-16 Gordon Hayward (15.8) … NBA All-Star
2001-02 Elton Brand (12.6) … NBA All-Star
2016-17 Draymond Green (8.6) … NBA Defensive Player of the Year, All-NBA Third Team
2002-03 Bruce Bowen (5.8) … NBA All-Defensive Second Team, NBA–Champion
2008-09 Shane Battier (5.9) … NBA All-Defensive Second Team
2014-15 Leandro Barbosa (5.8) NBA–Champion

Write up:

Offensively we have a lot of ways to attack Poopdamoops team, firstly we’ll zone in on our usual pick and rolls and dribble attacks to get Curry and Hayward loose for shots; or quick passes to elite front court players in Brand and Duncan. We have a team full of high IQ players who will utilize regular pick and rolls and side pick and rolls to attack Miller and Carter who were both prone to lapses on defense to get good shots off.

Chandler is a good defender but this is peak Tim Duncan we’re talking about. With all the space Duncan has around him he’ll take him to the mid range, face up, post him up and an offensive game that’s really a tall task for Chandler to be left on an island with. On the flip side since Duncan won’t have to worry about Chandler’s offensive game it will allow him to help Dray on Bron from time to time as well (This is the quick mobile version of Duncan who had no problem recovering to his man when needed).

Off the bench I expect Barbosa to utilize his quickness and skill to great effect against Prigioni. The biggest factor off the bench will be that Nance will be guarding Duncan off the bench and I expect Brand to have a huge series vs Tree Rollins a guy who didn’t have the ability to guard guys further than 10-12 feet away from the basket, a good serving of pick and roll with Curry or Hayward along with a deadly face up game will do a lot of damage.

Defense will be key vs Poopdamoop’s team and I believe we have great checks against his team. We’ll put Bowen on Reggie Miller who is a big part of his spread offense, the most important part is we’ll make life on Lebron as tough as possible with: Draymond guarding him, Duncan helping off Chandler and a fresh Battier to drape him.

If Kidd tries to post up Curry we have Duncan to help and recover, on Nance we have Brand who is an underrated defender, and top to bottom we have the defense to slow down Poopdamoop’s most potent offensive attacks.

We believe we've got the formula to beat this wing team with all our elite wing defenders, Draymond and with the help of the great defensive anchor in Duncan. On the other hand we’ve got a pretty impressive perimeter attack with Hayward and Curry who both will play to their strengths against Poopdamoop’s defense (which is decent but not great), and we've got a pretty heavy front court advantage that we can use to its maximum effectiveness (Duncan v Chandler, Brand/Duncan v Rollins).
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

Post#4 » by Blazers-1977 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:18 pm

This is very close but I am giving this to poopdamoop because I think Kidd and Miller , and Carter would dominate Smash's backcourt .

Vote: Poopdamoop
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#5 » by 8on » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:25 pm

Duncan helping off Chandler is going to be huge. I trust Dray to bother LeBron much more than Kidd to bother Curry. Brand and Nance cancel each other out, more or less. Ultimately, Steph/Dray/Duncan is too much to handle.

vote: Smash3
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:32 pm

This isn't a criticism of Smash because it's his best option, but I don't see Draymond gaining much traction as the primary defender against LeBron. As far as I recall Iguodala is the only Warrior who's had any kind of success with that matchup, and I agree with poop that it detracts from Draymond's value as a helper and overall defensive anchor. Not sure Kidd posting up Steph will be all that damaging, although defensively he's as good a counter as you can hope for, and LeBron at the 4 means poop is well suited to handle Steph-Draymond pick-and-roll action. Chandler, Nance, and Rollins are all quality defensive bigs to combat Timmy and Brand. Poop's only relative weak spot on defense is the Reggie-Vince 2-3 combo, but while Hayward is really good he's not quite at the level to exploit it, and they're just too potent a pairing at the other end.

Vote: poopdamoop
Smash3
RealGM

Post#7 » by Smash3 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:39 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:This isn't a criticism of Smash because it's his best option, but I don't see Draymond gaining much traction as the primary defender against LeBron. As far as I recall Iguodala is the only Warrior who's had any kind of success with that matchup, and I agree with poop that it detracts from Draymond's value as a helper and overall defensive anchor. Not sure Kidd posting up Steph will be all that damaging, although defensively he's as good a counter as you can hope for, and LeBron at the 4 means poop is well suited to handle Steph-Draymond pick-and-roll action. Chandler, Nance, and Rollins are all quality defensive bigs to combat Timmy and Brand. Poop's only relative weak spot on defense is the Reggie-Vince 2-3 combo, but while Hayward is really good he's not quite at the level to exploit it, and they're just too potent a pairing at the other end.

???

Draymond guards him for a good 15-18 minutes a night every time GSW has faced Lebron... The rest of the time he is guarded by Iggy, this is exactly the same approach: Dray guards him for 18 minutes, Battier guards him for 20-22 minutes a night. Also we don't need Dray to be a defensive anchor when we have Tim Duncan.

Tree Rollins is a huge liability in this heavy pick and roll offense, he was a lumbering big great at post defense but against mobile bigs like Duncan and Brand he'd get cooked.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:02 pm

Smash3 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:This isn't a criticism of Smash because it's his best option, but I don't see Draymond gaining much traction as the primary defender against LeBron. As far as I recall Iguodala is the only Warrior who's had any kind of success with that matchup, and I agree with poop that it detracts from Draymond's value as a helper and overall defensive anchor. Not sure Kidd posting up Steph will be all that damaging, although defensively he's as good a counter as you can hope for, and LeBron at the 4 means poop is well suited to handle Steph-Draymond pick-and-roll action. Chandler, Nance, and Rollins are all quality defensive bigs to combat Timmy and Brand. Poop's only relative weak spot on defense is the Reggie-Vince 2-3 combo, but while Hayward is really good he's not quite at the level to exploit it, and they're just too potent a pairing at the other end.

???

Draymond guards him for a good 15-18 minutes a night every time GSW has faced Lebron... The rest of the time he is guarded by Iggy, this is exactly the same approach: Dray guards him for 18 minutes, Battier guards him for 20-22 minutes a night. Also we don't need Dray to be a defensive anchor when we have Tim Duncan.

Tree Rollins is a huge liability in this heavy pick and roll offense, he was a lumbering big great at post defense but against mobile bigs like Duncan and Brand he'd get cooked.

I know he guards LeBron. What I'm saying is, I don't recall him having much success doing it. And I consider Iguodala at least a level above Battier as an individual defender.
Smash3
RealGM

Post#9 » by Smash3 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:19 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Smash3 wrote:

???

I know he guards LeBron. What I'm saying is, I don't recall him having much success doing it. And I consider Iguodala at least a level above Battier as an individual defender.

All though Draymond is best as a help defender he is a great 1-on-1 defender and IMO (stats don't tell much of a different story) he has done a good job on Lebron for stretches.

Rarely do I see people ranking Iggy over Battier on defense, let alone saying he's on a different level than one of the best defensive role players of all time. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I was just surprised by how little you thought of the defensive impact of Green and Battier on Lebron.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:10 pm

Smash3 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Smash3 wrote:
???

All though Draymond is best as a help defender he is a great 1-on-1 defender and IMO (stats don't tell much of a different story) he has done a good job on Lebron for stretches.

Rarely do I see people ranking Iggy over Battier on defense, let alone saying he's on a different level than one of the best defensive role players of all time. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I was just surprised by how little you thought of the defensive impact of Green and Battier on Lebron.

To be honest, my bar for guarding LeBron is almost unreasonably high because I've rarely seen anyone actually impact him over the course of a series. You have to have one of those great individual defenders and a great team framework to have a chance, and even then it's only a chance (look at the numbers he's been able to put up against the Warriors). When you also throw in a four-out system with wings like Vince and Reggie, it's damn near an impossible task.

As far as Battier vs. Iguodala, when I say "individual defender" I'm just talking about locking up a guy one-on-one. With the total package you get from Battier in terms of helping, taking charges, positional versatility, etc. he's definitely an elite defender, but in that specific aspect I have Iggy a notch above him largely due to his athletic tools (although to be fair I am a huge Iggy fan).
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,385

Post#11 » by wackbone » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 am

I'm torn on this one. Poop has a much more prolific offense, but Smash's fits together nicely, with a great Curry/Duncan duo. I also really dig Smash's defense. Ummmmmm I think I have to go with Smash due mostly to Curry/Duncan. Having two transcendent players is ridiculous.

Vote: Smash

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|Beverley
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|Williams
C: Chet Holmgren|Kleber

Other: Boeheim, Roddy, Thompson, Saric, McDermott
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,283

Post#12 » by lilroddyb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm

vote Smash

I love the fit around Lebron James but I just think Smash has the talent advantage and a great fit as well. Lebron will get his but Smash has multiple elite defenders to throw at him. I see Duncan going of against Chandler with the extra spacing around him. I see Steph also having big series even if Kidd is guarding him, Draymond's illegal screens will free up Steph and steph should be able to play well of the ball with all of these great passers/playmakers in Green, Gordon and Duncan.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Smash leads 3-2.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 pm

damecurry wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

Jory04 wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

parsnips33 wrote:.

Tony Snell wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

SuperDario wrote:.

Timmaytime wrote:.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Come on people, let's wrap this up already. Voting has been open for over a day now.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#16 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 pm

I usually don't vote when someone eliminated me but if it's still needed by tonight I can make an exception
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I usually don't vote when someone eliminated me but if it's still needed by tonight I can make an exception

At this point I'd almost be willing to let the finalists vote if it will wrap this thing up. :lol:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#18 » by ardee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 am

Vote Smash3... Very close, but I think the number of options he has to guard LeBron seal it for me.... Plus I'm not entirely sure Kidd is going to slow down Curry at all.

Congratulations. That's 2 victories in 3 games.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: East vs. West FINALS - poopdamoop vs. Smash3* (Smash wins it all!) 

Post#19 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 am

Congratulations Smash - this was a loaded field so it took a seriously good team to come out on top.
Smash3
RealGM

Re: East vs. West FINALS - poopdamoop vs. Smash3* (Smash wins it all!) 

Post#20 » by Smash3 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:26 pm

A lot of great series in this game, we're happy to pull through.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games