Future Draft Games

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Future Draft Games 

Post#81 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 pm

Non-homegrown players draft - seasons must come from a different team than the one who drafted them. The idea of a "2nd best franchise" draft had been brought up before, but I think this is a better way to do it
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,785

Post#82 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Non-homegrown players draft - seasons must come from a different team than the one who drafted them. The idea of a "2nd best franchise" draft had been brought up before, but I think this is a better way to do it

I think you'd have to specify that it should be a different team from the one the player played his first NBA game with. Otherwise you have guys like Kobe and Marc Gasol available which presumably goes against the spirit of the idea.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#83 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Non-homegrown players draft - seasons must come from a different team than the one who drafted them. The idea of a "2nd best franchise" draft had been brought up before, but I think this is a better way to do it

I think you'd have to specify that it should be a different team from the one the player played his first NBA game with. Otherwise you have guys like Kobe and Marc Gasol available which presumably goes against the spirit of the idea.

It would improve the draft pool though
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#84 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

It would improve the draft pool though

Well I figured this was one of those where the intention was to shake up the draft pool. Besides, it seems a bit odd to call it "non homegrown players draft" and then allow guys like Dirk and Kobe who literally set records for how long they remained on the same team their entire careers.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,071

Post#85 » by Laimbeer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Or a draft where everyone has to draft 1 player from each of Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Warriors, Sixers, Pistons, Suns, Blazers - or whatever 8 teams is determined to have the best pool. We could also have 9 teams but you are allowed to pass on one, which would give people a little more flexibility

I don't mind this but I'm thinking more than eight will want to play. I also kind of like the idea of the eight franchises not all being loaded, so long as it's not too top heavy.

Could we have 16 players who all need to draft at least one player from 8 teams)

I like this too. Not sure why I was thinking it would have to be eight drafters. :lol:
Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

Post#86 » by Blazers-1977 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:58 pm

What about this a twist on the random season draft

except each round is assigned a season at random , and everyone has to pick a player from that season in that round
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#87 » by Laimbeer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Blazers-1977 wrote:What about this a twist on the random season draft

except each round is assigned a season at random , and everyone has to pick a player from that season in that round

There would be a lot of luck involved. Also people in the middle would never get a top player.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#88 » by Laimbeer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

Don't put me on ignore, but what about a stair step draft - the height of each player you select must be within two inches of the player you selected previously.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#89 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Mar 1, 2018 12:33 am

Here's an idea: a game where you have a limit on the number of franchises that the players on your roster represented over the course of their careers.

For example, you take LeBron James first and you've used up two franchises (Cavs and Heat). With your second pick you take Dwyane Wade, and you add the Bulls (since you've already got the heat) taking your total to three. Then you select Alonzo Mourning, and you add the Hornets and Nets and you're up to five. And so on for the remaining rounds. Your challenge is to make sure you stay under the stipulated limit.

Keeping track of all your franchises might be a little troublesome - we would have to make use of the spreadsheet for that.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#90 » by Laimbeer » Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:42 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:Here's an idea: a game where you have a limit on the number of franchises that the players on your roster represented over the course of their careers.

For example, you take LeBron James first and you've used up two franchises (Cavs and Heat). With your second pick you take Dwyane Wade, and you add the Bulls (since you've already got the heat) taking your total to three. Then you select Alonzo Mourning, and you add the Hornets and Nets and you're up to five. And so on for the remaining rounds. Your challenge is to make sure you stay under the stipulated limit.

Keeping track of all your franchises might be a little troublesome - we would have to make use of the spreadsheet for that.

I like it, but I wonder if it would be better if you were compelled to accumulate franchises instead. Like a minimum you have to reach. Or you have to pick a single franchise guy, a two franchise guy, and so on. Most great players have like one or two, so most of the top players will still be pretty easy choices if the object is limiting franchises.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#91 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:50 am

Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Here's an idea: a game where you have a limit on the number of franchises that the players on your roster represented over the course of their careers.

I like it, but I wonder if it would be better if you were compelled to accumulate franchises instead. Like a minimum you have to reach. Or you have to pick a single franchise guy, a two franchise guy, and so on. Most great players have like one or two, so most of the top players will still be pretty easy choices if the object is limiting franchises.

Fair point, accumulating franchises would probably be more of a challenge. Some additional restrictions might still be required to prevent people for just picking the usual stars and making up the difference with role players.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#92 » by wackbone » Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:52 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Fair point, accumulating franchises would probably be more of a challenge. Some additional restrictions might still be required to prevent people for just picking the usual stars and making up the difference with role players.

Shaq would be the first overall pick no doubt.

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#93 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:08 am

wackbone wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Possibly, although I don't know if it would affect the very top picks all that much. I mean, if you preferred to build around LeBron, you'd still pick LeBron. The other franchises could be made up with your later picks.

By way of a restriction, I'd probably say no more than three players with two or fewer franchises. Adds another layer of strategy and forces you to mix in different numbers of franchises over the course of the draft.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#94 » by wackbone » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:17 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
wackbone wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Fair point, accumulating franchises would probably be more of a challenge. Some additional restrictions might still be required to prevent people for just picking the usual stars and making up the difference with role players.

Possibly, although I don't know if it would affect the very top picks all that much. I mean, if you preferred to build around LeBron, you'd still pick LeBron. The other franchises could be made up with your later picks.

By way of a restriction, I'd probably say no more than three players with two or fewer franchises. Adds another layer of strategy and forces you to mix in different numbers of franchises over the course of the draft.

Fair enough. But I still think he would have the most value, in a similar way that Magic's super cheap FGA cost is the most value in most of these games but he might not be first overall.

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#95 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:41 am

I prefer the keeping it under a certain amount of franchises option. If it's getting over a certain amount, it's too easy to just wait until the end of the draft and then start taking journeymen for your bench.

Another option would be you have ot take 1 player who's been on one team, 1 player who's been on 2 teams, 1 player who's been on 3 teams, 1 player who's been on 4 teams, and then 4 players who've been on 5 or more teams. Or something like that.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:18 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I prefer the keeping it under a certain amount of franchises option. If it's getting over a certain amount, it's too easy to just wait until the end of the draft and then start taking journeymen for your bench.

Another option would be you have ot take 1 player who's been on one team, 1 player who's been on 2 teams, 1 player who's been on 3 teams, 1 player who's been on 4 teams, and then 4 players who've been on 5 or more teams. Or something like that.

It wouldn't be so easy to do that if you're restricted in how many one or two franchise guys you can take, and if the total number is high enough.

The second idea isn't bad but it takes away the aspect of having franchises in common between picks, and only the ones that aren't shared adding to your total. That's another element that would make the "load up on journeymen" approach a little harder to pull off. At the end of the day you do want players who are useful and not just making up the numbers.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#97 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:32 pm

10 rounds and you have to cover all 30 franchises. :o
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#98 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:37 pm

Laimbeer wrote:10 rounds and you have to cover all 30 franchises. :o

How exactly would this work?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#99 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 2, 2018 3:16 pm

What about a game similar to the four per franchise one, except we limit the number of players that can be taken from each draft class? So for example if the limit is four, then after MJ, Hakeem, Chuck, and Stockton are taken, the 1984 draft is closed to everyone.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#100 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 2, 2018 3:49 pm

delete

Return to Trades and Transactions Games