Future Draft Games

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Re: Future Draft Games 

Post#1461 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:07 pm

If nobody has anything planned for right now, I want to try something a little bit... different.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#1462 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:18 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:If nobody has anything planned for right now, I want to try something a little bit... different.

What did you have in mind?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1463 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:57 pm

Hawk Eye wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:If nobody has anything planned for right now, I want to try something a little bit... different.

What did you have in mind?

All will be revealed.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,610

Post#1464 » by parsnips33 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:33 pm

An idea that just came to me, what about a draft where each pick you take two players who had to be teammates in the season selected. For example, first pick might be 91 Mike and Scottie. Four rounds, same FGA limit as usual. May have been done before already (not sure) but I think it could make for some interesting teams.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#1465 » by Laimbeer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm

parsnips33 wrote:An idea that just came to me, what about a draft where each pick you take two players who had to be teammates in the season selected. For example, first pick might be 91 Mike and Scottie. Four rounds, same FGA limit as usual. May have been done before already (not sure) but I think it could make for some interesting teams.

We have, but I wouldn't mind doing it again, either. We may have some new pairs since then. Hard to believe it's been three years.

Edit to add - the last one was really top heavy and the lower teams were at a disadvantage.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1466 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:46 pm

What about pairs of players who met each other in a playoff series? (You would have to use that season for both players.) Can't recall if we've done that before.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1467 » by Laimbeer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:What about pairs of players who met each other in a playoff series? (You would have to use that season for both players.) Can't recall if we've done that before.

I don't think the one we did was pairs. Just had to have met the guy you picked in the last round.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1468 » by Laimbeer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:28 pm

Four round draft, pick a 2020 team as your core, and three wild cards. For the 2020 core, you can use any five players and are charged one FGA for each game they won. The Bucks won 60, so they'd cost 60 fga's. You could pick your core whatever round you like. Maybe make total fga's lower than 88.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,610

Post#1469 » by parsnips33 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Four round draft, pick a 2020 team as your core, and three wild cards. For the 2020 core, you can use any five players and are charged one FGA for each game they won. The Bucks won 60, so they'd cost 60 fga's. You could pick your core whatever round you like. Maybe make total fga's lower than 88.

So the actual FGA's of the players in your core don't get counted? I like it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#1470 » by Snakebites » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:What about pairs of players who met each other in a playoff series? (You would have to use that season for both players.) Can't recall if we've done that before.

I don't think the one we did was pairs. Just had to have met the guy you picked in the last round.

Did we do one like that?

I remember one involving players who played each other in the playoffs, but I didn’t think it involved picking 2 guys at once. I remember it involving picking a player who played against your previous pick in the playoffs.

I’m not sure the premise is restrictive enough.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#1471 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:24 am

Dr Positivity wrote:A draft where you must draft 6 2019-2020 seasons, 1 player who played in 2019-2020 but any of their seasons (except 2020) are available, and 1 player who is not currently in the league

I want to play some version of this game (combination of 2020 season + pre-2020 season for player still in the league + player not in the league) but am unsure which rules to go with

Maybe you are allowed 1 of each for all-stars, and any player who never made an all-star team is available
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1472 » by Laimbeer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:32 pm

I say go for it there's nothing else going on I don't believe you will need an All-Star restriction with a pool that small
Dr Positivity wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:A draft where you must draft 6 2019-2020 seasons, 1 player who played in 2019-2020 but any of their seasons (except 2020) are available, and 1 player who is not currently in the league

I want to play some version of this game (combination of 2020 season + pre-2020 season for player still in the league + player not in the league) but am unsure which rules to go with

Maybe you are allowed 1 of each for all-stars, and any player who never made an all-star team is available

Sent from my SM-J700P using RealGM mobile app
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1473 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:30 am

High Speed Road Trip game - similar to the other one except you can move 3 states at a time, but with no jump exception. Ferry rides available in between Maryland/North Carolina and Louisiana/Florida. Either that or allow people to jump over empty states.

Edit - Maybe Tennessee train station connecting to Illinois and Louisana would work better if you wanted easier movement
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1474 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:42 am

A game where you can only use one division more than once. This means as soon as you double dip into a division, you are locked into it the rest of the game.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1475 » by Laimbeer » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:33 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:An idea that just came to me, what about a draft where each pick you take two players who had to be teammates in the season selected. For example, first pick might be 91 Mike and Scottie. Four rounds, same FGA limit as usual. May have been done before already (not sure) but I think it could make for some interesting teams.

We have, but I wouldn't mind doing it again, either. We may have some new pairs since then. Hard to believe it's been three years.

Edit to add - the last one was really top heavy and the lower teams were at a disadvantage.

How about teammates with the stipulation they never won a title together? That might eliminate the super pairs.

Snakebites wrote:...

Dr Positivity wrote:...

Fadeaway_J wrote:...
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1476 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:02 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

How about teammates with the stipulation they never won a title together? That might eliminate the super pairs.

Snakebites wrote:...

Dr Positivity wrote:...

Fadeaway_J wrote:...

Interesting idea. Would we not be bothering with any restrictions on the pairs?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1477 » by Snakebites » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:17 pm

So in order to pick Michael Jordan I'd have to pair him with someone from the pre-Pippen days who didn't win a title with him?

Would you have to pick a year they didn't win the title too?

You could almost consider not imposing any restrictions on that as long as you're forcing people to use seasons they didn't win. Otherwise you take away most of the combos that garner any interest for that premise, IMO.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1478 » by Laimbeer » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:52 pm

I don't think we'd need restrictions, though I'd say no 2020 Lakers since that's a really tough pair and they've all but won it. Probably shouldn't be overly concerned about Kawhi/George based on the comments I've being seeing for Pandemic P. :lol: Still a pretty nice pair, imo.

Yeah, you'd have to draft '89 or earlier Jordan and a random scrub on the team he never won with.

Thoughts on years?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1479 » by Snakebites » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:56 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I don't think we'd need restrictions, though I'd say no 2020 Lakers since that's a really tough pair and they've all but won it. Probably shouldn't be overly concerned about Kawhi/George based on the comments I've being seeing for Pandemic P. :lol: Still a pretty nice pair, imo.

Kawhi/PG worries me a bit. Not a proven 1/2 but I can’t imagine people having scruples with PG as a third option.

I’d be open to just leaving 2020 out. Otherwise you either wait till after the finals or have the weird optic of eliminating one specific pair (Lebron/Ad).
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1480 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:13 am

Snakebites wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I don't think we'd need restrictions, though I'd say no 2020 Lakers since that's a really tough pair and they've all but won it. Probably shouldn't be overly concerned about Kawhi/George based on the comments I've being seeing for Pandemic P. :lol: Still a pretty nice pair, imo.

Kawhi/PG worries me a bit. Not a proven 1/2 but I can’t imagine people having scruples with PG as a third option.

I’d be open to just leaving 2020 out. Otherwise you either wait till after the finals or have the weird optic of eliminating one specific pair (Lebron/Ad).

We could also just eliminate any teams that are still playing when the draft starts.

Are we fine with pairs like Stockton-Malone or Shaq-Penny then?

Return to Trades and Transactions Games