Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Re: Future Draft Games 

Post#1501 » by Laimbeer » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pm

wackbone wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:What about a draft where all HOFers are banned?

The first round would obviously have a very modern feel, but the pool of second and third options would be shaken up a fair bit.

Might be a bit wonky, but maybe change the years to end at like 2015? Just so the likely future HOF wouldn't be allowed. Also, yet another draft where LeBron would be OP.

That's basically a no MVP draft with some HOFs eliminated as well? I could be wrong but hasn't every MVP who's eligible made the hall? And wouldn't it therefore be reasonable to also eliminate every MVP and probably multiple first teamer as likely HOF?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,785

Post#1502 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
wackbone wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Might be a bit wonky, but maybe change the years to end at like 2015? Just so the likely future HOF wouldn't be allowed. Also, yet another draft where LeBron would be OP.

That's basically a no MVP draft with some HOFs eliminated as well? I could be wrong but hasn't every MVP who's eligible made the hall? And wouldn't it therefore be reasonable to also eliminate every MVP and probably multiple first teamer as likely HOF?

That's a completely different game to what I had in mind though. :lol:

With that said, I'm less concerned about LeBron being OP than who the people at the bottom of the first round would have to build around. Having looked over the pool, it starts to get a bit iffy around the 8-10 range. Kobe, KG, and Duncan all making it this year caused a significant dent.
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,286

Post#1503 » by lilroddyb » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:17 pm

What about a game were there is 88fga and maybe 25 bpm limit. Lebron would be a lot more costly since most of his elite seasons are around 10bpm, Manu and Draymond would not be as cheap and some other legends become much more valuable like mvp Kobe at 5.8 bpm
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1504 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:30 pm

How about a draft with one pool of players available for the first four rounds, and another pool for the last four rounds? Maybe each pool gets a couple of decades?

Also, any interest in a draft where you select a 2020 team as your core and their total wins is the FGA charge? Your other four players are wild cards with the remaining fga's.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#1505 » by Jordan Syndrome » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:40 pm

Laimbeer wrote:How about a draft with one pool of players available for the first four rounds, and another pool for the last four rounds? Maybe each pool gets a couple of decades?

Also, any interest in a draft where you select a 2020 team as your core and their total wins is the FGA charge? Your other four players are wild cards with the remaining fga's.

What about divisions or conferences for the first draft?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1506 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:59 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:How about a draft with one pool of players available for the first four rounds, and another pool for the last four rounds? Maybe each pool gets a couple of decades?

What about divisions or conferences for the first draft?

I like it, but East v West doesn't seem balanced to me?
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,555

Post#1507 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:24 am

Have you guys played where each pick has to have a higher or lower FGA than the previous pick? Either starting low and going up or other way around still within the fga limit
you can't kill me - i was born dead
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant

Post#1508 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 am

Also considering the impact of free throws, FGA has always struck me as in appropriate as a means of regulation. Have we tried a total amount of Usage pct?
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant

Post#1509 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:30 am

Not to spam the board, but can't stop the juice flowing.

Have we tried a meritocratic process of selecting winner instead of democratic? Something like a set of statistical criteria where you need to maximize certain advanced stats within those parameters?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1510 » by Laimbeer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:40 am

^^^
Have you guys played where each pick has to have a higher or lower FGA than the previous pick? Either starting low and going up or other way around still within the fga limit

We've played lowest to highest fga, but I don't remember high to low. It's been a while, I'd be up for either.

Also considering the impact of free throws, FGA has always struck me as in appropriate as a means of regulation. Have we tried a total amount of Usage pct?

Wouldn't mind a different regulation as a one off, but fga's are ingrained for so many of us. A permanent switch would mean a lot of leg work.

Have we tried a meritocratic process of selecting winner instead of democratic? Something like a set of statistical criteria where you need to maximize certain advanced stats within those parameters?

Wouldn't that just be a mathematical exercise?
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant

Post#1511 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Laimbeer wrote:^^^

We've played lowest to highest fga, but I don't remember high to low. It's been a while, I'd be up for either.

Wouldn't mind a different regulation as a one off, but fga's are ingrained for so many of us. A permanent switch would mean a lot of leg work.

Wouldn't that just be a mathematical exercise?

It's already got a lot of mathematical components to it, but maybe that would be taking it too far to remove the voting altogether. Maybe some kind of hybrid system of determination could be interesting. If everyone already knows everyone else's opinions and have some general consensus on who is best, then we are already doing a mathematical exercise to some extent.

Regarding the FGA, I can see why it works as a rough back of the envelope type thing, I wonder if there are other easy stats we can like USG that we could try for a game and see how it impacts the opportunity set and willingness to deviate from past choices.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1512 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm

JimmyPlopper wrote:Have you guys played where each pick has to have a higher or lower FGA than the previous pick? Either starting low and going up or other way around still within the fga limit

I've seen people asking about low to high fga's several times. It's been a while, could be time for 2.0.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,785

Post#1513 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:33 pm

We could run back the tournament of champions. I think we've had four championships since the original game.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#1514 » by wackbone » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:39 am

Ideas:

A draft where you take a 30+ ppg scorer (in chosen season) (No FGA Cost towards Total) then for your other 7 picks you have a 70 FGA limit?

I want to do another accolade draft like we did before. We have enough new drafters where it would be new.
1 MVP
1 ever All-NBA 1st
1 ever All-NBA 2nd-3rd
1 ever All-Def 1st-2nd
1 ever All-Rookie 1st-2nd (Don't have to use rookie season)
3 never All-Stars
You can pick for any role with any pick. The accolade a player qualifies for is their highest accolade, in the order above. So you can't pick LeBron and have him be the All-Rookie pick. He would have to be your MVP. Michael Carter-Williams couldn't be your never all-star since he made an All-Rookie team. Does that make sense? Highest accolade applies.

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1515 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:37 pm

wackbone wrote:Ideas:

A draft where you take a 30+ ppg scorer (in chosen season) (No FGA Cost towards Total) then for your other 7 picks you have a 70 FGA limit?

I want to do another accolade draft like we did before. We have enough new drafters where it would be new.
1 MVP
1 ever All-NBA 1st
1 ever All-NBA 2nd-3rd
1 ever All-Def 1st-2nd
3 never All-Stars
You can pick for any role with any pick. The accolade a player qualifies for is their highest accolade, in the order above. So you can't pick LeBron and have him be the All-Rookie pick. He would have to be your MVP. Michael Carter-Williams couldn't be your never all-star since he made an All-Rookie team. Does that make sense? Highest accolade applies.

I think there would be a really wide disparity in the quality of 30 ppg+ scorers. Like the concept, though.

On accolades, would you have to pick an all-rookie AND a MVP or could they be the same season? Confused if all of these are minimums or maximums.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man

Post#1516 » by Jordan Syndrome » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

1 MVP
1 ever All-NBA 1st
1 ever All-NBA 2nd-3rd
1 ever All-Def 1st-2nd
3 never All-Stars

I think there would be a really wide disparity in the quality of 30 ppg+ scorers. Like the concept, though.

On accolades, would you have to pick an all-rookie AND a MVP or could they be the same season? Confused if all of these are minimums or maximums.

Highest Accolade but the all-rookie stuff makes little sense to me. There are 10 all-rookies every year thus nearly every player who is even a decent role player makes all-rookie. Who exactly are your 3 "No award" players?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1517 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

1 MVP
1 ever All-NBA 1st
1 ever All-NBA 2nd-3rd
1 ever All-Def 1st-2nd
3 never All-Stars

Highest Accolade but the all-rookie stuff makes little sense to me. There are 10 all-rookies every year thus nearly every player who is even a decent role player makes all-rookie. Who exactly are your 3 "No award" players?

The no awards are guys who were never MVP, all-NBA, all-star or all-D I think.

Agree on scrapping all-rookie, it's confusing.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man

Post#1518 » by Jordan Syndrome » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Jordan Syndrome wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

The no awards are guys who were never MVP, all-NBA, all-star or all-D I think.

Agree on scrapping all-rookie, it's confusing.

The example Wackbone uses means a player like Shane Battier must be used for all-rookie selection and thus cannot be "no award".

Michael Carter-Williams couldn't be your never all-star since he made an All-Rookie team

I think the issue is we just did a 1 MVP draft (East vs West) and many notable drafters would like to do a draft with no limits again (I know Snakebites was sick of limited pools).

I actually like the idea of high to low or low to high--no rules.

Or, you could do a point based system with MVP's 10, All-NBA 1st 7, All-NBA 2nd 5, All-NBA 3rd 3, All-star 2 and All-Defensive 1 and your team can have a maximum of 24 points (in honor of Kobe)? All these based on highest accolade earned.

The 24 points limits you to two MVPs and one All-NBA 3rd and one all-defensive player.
Kiwifan
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#1519 » by Kiwifan » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:54 am

What about a draft where the max allocation of FGA for a non MVP season was 18? Maybe would see some popular players picked in a untypical season (e.g. MJ) and some players that are rarely picked actually get selected (E.g TMac).

Might need another twist....
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#1520 » by Zion Wembanyama » Thu Dec 3, 2020 3:17 am

3 of the first 5 players you draft have to had played on the same team for a season. They have to had started and finished the regular season together. The season you choose for those 3 players must be the season they played together. The last 3 players you draft must not have played on the same team the season you use for them. No accolade restrictions. Seasons 1959-2020.

I'll run this game and get sign-ups started if you all want to play.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano

Return to Trades and Transactions Games