Future Draft Games

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Re: Future Draft Games 

Post#1721 » by wackbone » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:11 pm

goober wrote:
wackbone wrote:The problem with any draft in which another drafter picks your player to any extent is the chaos that would come from a skipped pick

I don't think in my game it would be that chaotic.

The scenario:
Pick 1 - Shaq
pick 2- skipped bc of clock
pick 3- proceeds to pick Tim Duncan, pick 2 now has to pick someone who is not from the southwest divison. or if pick 4 picks before them, pick 2 is now dependent on the divisions not used with pick 4

It would just be annoying if in that scenario let’s say I’m pick 4(the chaos I’m referencing is more applicable to later rounds) and am doing all of this research to find the best player available to me not in the SouthWest, and am about to make my pick, but then the skipped pick comes back and picks someone which then makes me have to figure out a new plan based on what divisions are available now...

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#1722 » by goober » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:17 pm

wackbone wrote:
goober wrote:
wackbone wrote:The problem with any draft in which another drafter picks your player to any extent is the chaos that would come from a skipped pick

I don't think in my game it would be that chaotic.

The scenario:
Pick 1 - Shaq
pick 2- skipped bc of clock
pick 3- proceeds to pick Tim Duncan, pick 2 now has to pick someone who is not from the southwest divison. or if pick 4 picks before them, pick 2 is now dependent on the divisions not used with pick 4

It would just be annoying if in that scenario let’s say I’m pick 4(the chaos I’m referencing is more applicable to later rounds) and am doing all of this research to find the best player available to me not in the SouthWest, and am about to make my pick, but then the skipped pick comes back and picks someone which then makes me have to figure out a new plan based on what divisions are available now...

I can see where you are coming from, I would think that would just be part of the strategy of the game though.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#1723 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:If you want to mess with people, how about a draft where someone else makes your first pick for you, including the season to use?

What's to stop people from picking a terrible player?

I think that's the point
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#1724 » by parsnips33 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:If you want to mess with people, how about a draft where someone else makes your first pick for you, including the season to use?

I think that's the point

I think there should be a chance you have to keep the player you drafted

That's why I like re-randomizing after a round or 2
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#1725 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I think that's the point

So we all give each person a Derek Fisher or Manute Bol. I dont see the appeal in that.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1726 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I think that's the point

So we all give each person a Derek Fisher or Manute Bol. I dont see the appeal in that.

It's more sabotage if you give them 24 FGA Stackhouse or 18 FGA Bargnani or something. Then you either have to play them in a major role or give them bench minutes and try to build a team with the remaining FGAs.

I have mixed feelings about the concept overall though.

Also are you Matt Barnes or someone with Utah with that disrespect towards Fisher
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#1727 » by parsnips33 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
I think that's the point

It's more sabotage if you give them 24 FGA Stackhouse or 18 FGA Bargnani or something. Then you either have to play them in a major role or give them bench minutes and try to build a team with the remaining FGAs.

Also are you Matt Barnes or someone with Utah with that disrespect towards Fisher

Maybe the chosen season has to be at least an all-star?
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1728 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 am

parsnips33 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Maybe the chosen season has to be at least an all-star?

Or even All NBA. That weeds out some of the Stackhouse type guys and leaves some ones who are more playable but don't get picked often like Big Al and Derozan. Though losing Wizards MJ and post Achilles Kobe is sad.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#1729 » by migya » Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 pm

A one in his last season player that must come offthe bench and one rookie that starts game?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#1730 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 17, 2021 5:56 pm

Seems like a logical time to do a 2021 or 2021 "and one" with the regular season over.
migya
Head Coach

Post#1731 » by migya » Sun May 23, 2021 4:54 am

migya wrote:A one in his last season player that must come offthe bench and one rookie that starts game?

What do you all think of this idea? Think that something like; All players' seasons must be their third season or one same season of their career criteria.

Would be different and pretty wacky to do a four rookies and four last season players teams.
migya
Head Coach

Post#1732 » by migya » Sun May 23, 2021 5:09 am

Or a postmerger to 1999 draft, no more than 7 three pointers made per team.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#1733 » by Colbinii » Sun May 23, 2021 2:42 pm

migya wrote:
migya wrote:A one in his last season player that must come offthe bench and one rookie that starts game?

What do you all think of this idea? Think that something like; All players' seasons must be their third season or one same season of their career criteria.

Would be different and pretty wacky to do a four rookies and four last season players teams.

I like the idea of "Players in season X".

We could do round 1, season 1, round 2, season 2, ect.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
migya
Head Coach

Post#1734 » by migya » Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm

Colbinii wrote:
migya wrote:

Most games lately have been current era and older era is missing, which means no class :lol:
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#1735 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun May 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Colbinii wrote:
migya wrote:

I'd leave it open as to when you select which player.

One in each of the first four seasons, one in each of the last four, and you can't use last four for still active players.
migya
Head Coach

Post#1736 » by migya » Sat May 29, 2021 4:25 am

migya wrote:

What you all think of this idea? Been so much of the same lately. Really want to bring back some older era as well.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1737 » by Laimbeer » Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Colbinii wrote:
migya wrote:

I like this since it's sort of an upside down draft - how soon does a player become worth his fga's? My concern is people in the middle might find it tough. The number of players who become top tier for a particular season might be limited. Also not having the season finder will make it more leg work.

Don't mind the straight third season idea either.
migya
Head Coach

Post#1738 » by migya » Sun May 30, 2021 6:23 am

Laimbeer wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
migya wrote:

I like this since it's sort of an upside down draft - how soon does a player become worth his fga's? My concern is people in the middle might find it tough. The number of players who become top tier for a particular season might be limited. Also not having the season finder will make it more leg work.

I actually like Colbini's idea of Round 1-Season 1, Round 2- Season 2 etc.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1739 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:20 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
migya wrote:

Starting this soon?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1740 » by Laimbeer » Sat Jun 5, 2021 12:19 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Starting this soon?

I'm now wondering how tedious this will be without the season finder.

Should the format be standard ABBABABA?

Should there be any limits on MVPs, etc?

Return to Trades and Transactions Games