Cross-Eras Duos Draft (60s to Now) Quarterfinals: ChicagoSportsFan21 vs. Smash3 (ChicagoSportsFan21 advances)

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Cross-Eras Duos Draft (60s to Now) Quarterfinals: ChicagoSportsFan21 vs. Smash3 (ChicagoSportsFan21 advances) 

Post#1 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 am

Please include this in your post:

-Roster/Depth Chart
-FGA
-Write-up on why you should move on to the next round--make it short/long/whatever you like

First to 4 votes win. Reasoning is required for vote. Please read the write-ups to help with your vote. Once a vote is made, it can't be changed.

If a write-up isn't posted in 24 hours, we will go whatever is in their write-up and vote then..

Good luck!

Smash3 wrote:.
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Re: Cross-Eras Duos Draft (60s to Now) Quarterfinals: ChicagoSportsFan21 vs. Smash3 

Post#2 » by Smash3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 am

FGA:

92' David Robinson (15.8)
05' Kevin Garnett (16.6)
96' Penny Hardaway (14.8)
95' Detlef Schrempf (12.2)
87' Michael Cooper (9.0)
75' Don Buse (5.4)
10' Ron Artest (9.6)
62' Luckenbill (1.4)

Total: 84.8

2004-05 Kevin Garnett (16.6) … All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA Rebounds leader
1991-92 David Robinson (15.8) … All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA Defensive Player of the Year
1995-96 Penny Hardaway (22.4) … All-NBA First Team
1994-95 Detlef Schrempf (12.2) ... All-NBA Third Team, NBA All-Star
1986-87 Michael Cooper (9) ... NBA Defensive Player of the Year , NBA All-Defensive First Team

1974-75 Don Buse (5.4) ... NBA All-Defensive Second Team
2009-10 Ron Artest (9.6) ... ...
1960-62 Ted Luckenbill (1.4) ... ...

Rotation:

Penny Hardaway (36) | Don Buse (12)
Michael Cooper (32) | Buse (16)
Detlef Schrempf (32) | Ron Artest (16)
Kevin Garnett (38) | Artest (10)
David Robinson (40) | LuckenBill (10)

Writeup:

Overall we will be extremely hard to score on. We have one of the greatest defensive centers in his prime manning the middle paired with one of the most versatile defenders of all time in Kevin Garnett to provide a ridiculous amount of athleticism, as well as a DPOY on the wings with Cooper, we have a ridiculous ability to switch, and we have elite rim protection on the back line.

For our matchup I believe we matchup favorably, we have two DPOY’s who will make the opposing teams best offensive weapon struggle in Doc J. We have Michael Cooper picking Doc up on the perimeter, KG switching on pnr action and Robinson to meet him at the rim.

Offensively we win most of our matchups as we’ll have Penny > Billups, KG > Malone , Cooper > Jones, Robinson > Moses and though Doc beats Detlef, Detlef will take away DOC’s legs away as he runs around the court all game long spotting up for long range bombs.

Overall we’re best equipped to slow down CSF and between: Penny/Detlef/KG/Robinson we have more than enough firepower.
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach

Re: Cross-Eras Duos Draft (60s to Now) Quarterfinals: ChicagoSportsFan21 vs. Smash3 

Post#3 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 am

Starting Five:

PG: Chauncey Billups-Detroit Pistons-2004/05: 16.5 PTS/5.8 AST/1.0 STL/42.6% 3PT/60.9% TS

-NBA All-Defensive Second Team

SG: Eddie Jones-Los Angeles Lakers-1997/98: 16.9 PTS/3.1 AST/2.0 STL/38.9% 3PT

-NBA All-Star, NBA All-Defensive Second Team

SF: Julius Erving-New York Nets-1975/76: 29.3 PTS/11.0 REB/5.0 AST/2.5 STL/1.9 BLK

-ABA Champion, ABA Playoffs MVP, ABA Most Valuable Player, ABA All-Star, All-ABA First Team, ABA All-Defensive First Team, ABA Slam Dunk Champion

PF: Karl Malone-Utah Jazz-1998/99: 23.8 PTS/9.4 REB/4.1 AST/1.3 STL

-NBA Most Valuable Player, All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team

C: Moses Malone-Philadelphia 76ers-1982/83: 24.5 PTS/15.3 REB/1.1 STL/2.0 BLK

-NBA Champion, NBA Finals MVP, NBA Most Valuable Player, NBA All-Star, All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA Rebounding Leader

Bench:

G/F: Kyle Korver-Utah Jazz-2009/10: 7.2 PTS/53.6% 3PT/62.0% TS

-NBA Leader/Record for highest 3 point shooting percentage in a season

C: Dikembe Mutombo-Houston Rockets-2006/07: 6.5 REB/1.0 BLK

-NBA Record for oldest player to collect over 20 rebounds in a game

PG-Dave Zeller-Cincinnati Royals-1961/62

Rotation/Depth Chart:

PG: Chauncey Billups (40)/Dave Zeller (8)
SG: Eddie Jones (36)/Kyle Korver (12)
SF: Julius Erving (36)/Kyle Korver (12)
PF: Karl Malone (42)/Julius Erving (6)
C: Moses Malone (40)/Dikembe Mutombo (8)

FGA:

(00s) Chauncey Billups-Detroit Pistons-2004/05: 11.4 FGA
(90s) Eddie Jones-Los Angeles Lakers-1997/98: 12.6 FGA
(70s) Julius Erving-New York Nets-1975/76: 19.0 FGA (22.3 x 0.85)
(Wildcard) Karl Malone-Utah Jazz-1998/99: 16.3 FGA
(80s) Moses Malone-Philadelphia 76ers-1982/83: 16.7 FGA
(10s) Kyle Korver-Utah Jazz-2009/10: 5.4 FGA
(Wildcard) Dikembe Mutombo-Houston Rockets-2006/07: 2.0 FGA
(60s) Dave Zeller-Cincinnati Royals-1961/62: 1.5 FGA (1.7 x 0.85)

Total FGA: 84.9/85.0

Write-Up:

Team Specific: This offense is high powered that will run like a well oiled machine with a multi-faceted attack. Billups/Malone will hit you with the pick and pop. Dr. J is great slashing to the rim. Moses will do the dirty work in the post. Eddie Jones/Korver are great three point shooters alongside Billups. I have the best front-court trio in this game with Dr. J, Karl Malone, and Moses Malone. That's 3 MVPs. You read that correctly..I don't think anybody has 3 MVPs on their team. Defensively, you have five starters who made the all-defensive team in the seasons chosen with nobody being a liability starting. I don't think any other team has five starters who made the all-defensive teams in their season chosen. Not to mention my front-court trio made all-defensive first teams and their elite rebounding prowess they all have. Deke provides rim protection off the bench. Korver provides instant offense off the bench. This team is going to be tough to stop offensively and going to be tough to beat defensively especially with the physicality down low. Vote for CSF21!

Match-Up Specific:

Great team, Smash3.

OFFENSE: I disagree with his assessment of his offense being better than mine.

-Penny/Billups is a wash imo..it really depends what you need. Billups is a better shooter than Penney with a 43% 3 point shooting and 60% TS percentage while Penney is the better slasher (shot only 30ish% from 3 point)--it's a wash if anything. Billups carried the offense for Detroit as a number one option while Penney did have Shaq alongside him.

-Karl Malone is better than Garnett offensively. Karl Malone has the second most points all time in the NBA history..he had an automatic shot from the mid-range. While Garnett is good offensively, he wasn't in the same level as Malone in terms of shooting imo. Garnett was always known for his defense and offense wasn't his main strength/focal point unlike Malone.

-Along the same lines of Garnett/Malone, Cooper was more known for his defense than his offense. Eddie Jones was nearly 17 points per game shooter that not only could shoot from deep, but he was a good slasher as well. Cooper averaged single digits in ppg most of his career while 11.9 ppg were his highest. Jones was much better offensively than Cooper.

-Robinson wasn't better than Moses offensively at his peak imo. Moses was a one man wrecking crew in the post and he wasn't going to be denied. Again Robinson was more known for his defense like Garnett/Cooper and offense wasn't his main strength. Moses was known for his offense especially his offensive rebounding/putbacks. I'll takes Moses here offensively.

-We both agree Dr. J is better than Detlef.

That leaves us with my four starters being better head to head offensively with Billups/Penney being a wash (offense-Billups=Penney, Jones>Cooper, Dr J>Detlef, Malone>Garnett, and Moses>D Rob). I don't really see his team having an advantage offensively. We'll attack whoever Detlef has whether it's Billups or Eddie Jones. Eddie Jones or Billups should have a favorable match-up against Detlef who isn't really known for his defense. Don't underestimate Eddie Jones or Billups offense. Great offense beats great defense and I think I have that here.

DEFENSE: Defensively, I match-up very well against his team with Billups on Cooper, Jones on Penney, Erving on Detlef, Malone on KG, and Moses on D-Rob. All my starters are all-defensive team members in their respective seasons, and nobody else can say that. Billups matches up well size/length wise against Cooper more so than he will with Penney so Jones will have the task of guarding him as they are similar in length. Moses has the physicality to give DRob trouble in the post. His team will have trouble scoring against my stout defense.

SUMMARY: Overall, both teams have great defenses, but I believe I have more impactful offensive players and again good offense beats good defense. Eddie Jones or Billups will attack offensively against a weaker defender in Detlef. I have solid covers for his all starters with five all defensive team members starting. My three MVPs will get their points, but don't underestimate Jones or Billups offensively. Cooper is the weakest starter for both teams offensively while Detlef is the weakest starter for both teams defensively..both players on Smash's team.

Good luck Smash3!
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#4 » by 8on » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:47 am

I don’t think these versions of Billups and Karl are up to snuff. Smash has better seasons, and I can imagine DRob getting the better end of the matchup with Moses as much as Doc does with Schrempf. Penny and KG swing this for me.

vote: Smash3
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach

Post#5 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:47 am

Please vote on this match-up so we can see who advances to the semifinals. I appreciate your time. Thanks!

Tony Snell wrote:.

Laimbeer wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Snakebites wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

Prez wrote:.

janmagn wrote:.

Jiminy Glick wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

SuperDario wrote:.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Re: Cross-Eras Duos Draft (60s to Now) Quarterfinals: ChicagoSportsFan21 vs. Smash3 (NEED VOTES!) 

Post#6 » by euroleague » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:26 am

I think the offense isn’t getting sold well here by CSF, but despite that the fit is quite good. The shooting is solid, and I think DrJ is being massively underrated as easily the best player in this matchup. Two very talented teams, but I vote

Vote CSF
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Re: Cross-Eras Duos Draft (60s to Now) Quarterfinals: ChicagoSportsFan21 vs. Smash3 (NEED VOTES!) 

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 am

Both these teams are very strong but I I think Dr J, Karl and Moses frontline is too much, with Erving as the difference

Vote CSF
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#8 » by Smash3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:05 am

Yeah color me surprised.. I don’t see how you expect DR J to be too much with three DPOY level guys taking turns making his life miserable.
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Post#9 » by janmagn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 am

CSF. Just a crazy collection of talent. While it's close I think that with the Malones and Doc his team wins the battle on the boards. That is crucial when teams are this close

Lähetetty minun LG-M250 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,613

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I mean, I think that if we're going to dock CSF for a post-prime Malone (MVP or not this is not peak Malone), then it's only fair to dock Smash for pre-prime David Robinson.

I love DRob regardless but I spring for his 1996 season. His 1995 MVP season is too pricey but I love 1996 for the guy.

So just looking at talent, I really like both of these teams. I think KG/DRob pops more than the Malone brothers on the perimeter, but I really prefer CSF's perimeter to Smash's. Peak Dr J is a huge advantage out on the perimeter though, one I don't think there's always the right answer for on CSW's roster. I also prefer Detlef as a power forward in these, and this isn't the right matchup to try to sneak him through defensively with no viable places to hide him.

I'll vote for CSF here. That's not easy, either, because my god do I love KG/DRob.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,385

Post#11 » by wackbone » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:58 pm

CSF advances.

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|Beverley
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|Williams
C: Chet Holmgren|Kleber

Other: Boeheim, Roddy, Thompson, Saric, McDermott
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#12 » by 8on » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 pm

DRob was in Hakeem territory defensively in 1992. Look at those numbers. Doesn’t matter much to me what his prime was considered to be. He was still putting up 40/10 games in ‘92.
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach

Post#13 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 am

ChicagoSportsFan21 advances to the Semifinals.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games