T&T Games General Drafting/Off-Topic Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: T&T Games General Drafting/Off-Topic Thread 

Post#181 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:21 am

I wonder if Giannis will take a big hit in these drafts games based on his post season performance. I don’t draft him all that often because of how difficult it is to build around him but man, he has done himself absolutely no favors in these playoffs. His halfcourt offense is abysmal for someone of his talent level.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,775

Post#182 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Sep 5, 2020 7:37 pm

Hawk Eye wrote:I wonder if Giannis will take a big hit in these drafts games based on his post season performance. I don’t draft him all that often because of how difficult it is to build around him but man, he has done himself absolutely no favors in these playoffs. His halfcourt offense is abysmal for someone of his talent level.

I think it affects how he's viewed as a primary offensive engine, but that was always something of a question mark for me anyway. Obviously he lacks reliable scoring moves or a jumper, and his passing isn't intuitive enough although it's clearly above average for a big man. Give him a top-notch PG (which is usually easy to do in these games) who allows him to be more of a finisher, and a lot of his flaws aren't nearly as damaging. Not to mention he's still a defensive monster.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#183 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:15 pm

Not sure if he was mentioned when this topic came up, but 2020-21 is now looking like the season of choice for Mike Conley.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Post#184 » by wackbone » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:44 pm

I don't know the exact number, but I have had a lot of Semifinals losses recently

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|Beverley
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|Williams
C: Chet Holmgren|Kleber

Other: Boeheim, Roddy, Thompson, Saric, McDermott
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#185 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:44 am

batmana wrote:I feel enticed to do this one. It's been several years since I last participated in one of those.

I had some reservations about these games due to the way I felt people evaluated teams but I don't feel like this is the right place to discuss this and I also don't want to come off as overly critical or a sore loser.

So I'm in and I would also be interested in discussing the games in general, particularly with the more experienced posters, about my concerns.

This might be the thread to do it. Fire away.

If it helps, a number of regulars have their own concerns on how teams are judged, at least at times. What is your thinking?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#186 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:51 am

Laimbeer wrote:
batmana wrote:I feel enticed to do this one. It's been several years since I last participated in one of those.

I had some reservations about these games due to the way I felt people evaluated teams but I don't feel like this is the right place to discuss this and I also don't want to come off as overly critical or a sore loser.

So I'm in and I would also be interested in discussing the games in general, particularly with the more experienced posters, about my concerns.

If it helps, a number of regulars have their own concerns on how teams are judged, at least at times. What is your thinking?

Agree and I would also say I find many other regulars judge teams rather differently from me. :lol:
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#187 » by batmana » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Laimbeer wrote:

I have at times felt that (possibly because of previous games where posters have made up their mind about Player X vs. Player Y) votes go automatically to one team just because they picked a certain player or two (very often it's a role player and not even the "franchise" player). In fact, I remember remarks about how drafting certain players in the middle rounds almost guarantees you a win. I could be wrong but particularly when it comes to role players, they shouldn't automatically make that much of a difference. I'm not saying that I felt personally slighted, in fact the best team I've assembled so far (the one in my sig) ran into a team that I couldn't believe how stacked and balanced it was and I was almost certain I couldn't win. Other teams I built have almost always been flawed so I'm still feeling my way in those games, and I am really enjoying them in general, I just wanted to voice this concern.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#188 » by migya » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:33 am

I've noted in recent games that when I have Shawn Kemp that I seen to get looked lowly on. Do most think that he is not a very good player inn the games?

I see him as a very good big in a very high level big era. As an example, in the current game, I had him with AD and Porter, Majerle and Pierce. I thought that was the best starters in that draft but my opponent was seen as having a better starting lineup.

I think Kemp is quite good on both ends which not all PFs usually picked are.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#189 » by Colbinii » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:34 pm

migya wrote:I've noted in recent games that when I have Shawn Kemp that I seen to get looked lowly on. Do most think that he is not a very good player inn the games?

I see him as a very good big in a very high level big era. As an example, in the current game, I had him with AD and Porter, Majerle and Pierce. I thought that was the best starters in that draft but my opponent was seen as having a better starting lineup.

Kemp is fine. He is a good defender and and an electric finisher but not a great finisher. He is a terrible passed [and I know you love box-score stats like assists--well he averages nearly twice as many turnovers as assists] and he doesn't space the floor.

Guys like AK47 provide significantly more value as playmakers and is a better defender. Obviously someone like Draymond Green is a better defender and a unicorn in terms of his passing at the 4.

Then you have guys like Duncan, KG, AD, Dirk and Giannis who are the cream of the crop. It also makes sense in many games to play guys like LeBron, Bird and Durant at the 4 as well.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#190 » by damecurry » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Colbinii wrote:
migya wrote:I've noted in recent games that when I have Shawn Kemp that I seen to get looked lowly on. Do most think that he is not a very good player inn the games?

Kemp is fine. He is a good defender and and an electric finisher but not a great finisher. He is a terrible passed [and I know you love box-score stats like assists--well he averages nearly twice as many turnovers as assists] and he doesn't space the floor.

Guys like AK47 provide significantly more value as playmakers and is a better defender. Obviously someone like Draymond Green is a better defender and a unicorn in terms of his passing at the 4.

Then you have guys like Duncan, KG, AD, Dirk and Giannis who are the cream of the crop. It also makes sense in many games to play guys like LeBron, Bird and Durant at the 4 as well.

I agree with much of this but you're wrong that he doesn't space the floor. He was a very solid mid range shooter and definitely a threat out to 20 feet. Not a 3pt shooter but still a solid shooter.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#191 » by Colbinii » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 pm

damecurry wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I agree with much of this but you're wrong that he doesn't space the floor. He was a very solid mid range shooter and definitely a threat out to 20 feet. Not a 3pt shooter but still a solid shooter.

Unfortunately we only have data going back to 1997 but in that season Kemp was 41.5% from 16 ft-3P and 35.6% on 10-16 ft jumpers.

I dont define that as a threat, but it is possible 1997 is and after are all significantly worse, but historically speaking we don't see drastic changes in FG% of players on a year to year basis.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#192 » by migya » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:35 pm

damecurry wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Yea Kemp was a good shooter and good on both ends.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#193 » by damecurry » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:55 pm

Colbinii wrote:
damecurry wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Unfortunately we only have data going back to 1997 but in that season Kemp was 41.5% from 16 ft-3P and 35.6% on 10-16 ft jumpers.

I dont define that as a threat, but it is possible 1997 is and after are all significantly worse, but historically speaking we don't see drastic changes in FG% of players on a year to year basis.

42% is quote respectable for an athletic big in an Era where big shooting was not exactly essential. And that was post-prime when all his numbers were trending down. His ft% was consistently around 80% and in tape he shoots it quite well. It was definitely a part of his game.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#194 » by Colbinii » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:30 am

damecurry wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
damecurry wrote:

42% is quote respectable for an athletic big in an Era where big shooting was not exactly essential. And that was post-prime when all his numbers were trending down. His ft% was consistently around 80% and in tape he shoots it quite well. It was definitely a part of his game.

But it isn't 42% and his efficiency from 10-16 feet is concerning.

His FT% was never close to 80% except in 1999 when is was 78.9%. During his 6 all-star seasons he was at 73.6%.

All the numbers literally SCREAM he isn't a floor spacer.

Guys like Horace Grant were better floor spacers and even he isn't someone you actively worry about in the mid-range.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#195 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:55 am

Kemp has done pretty well IIRC. All star PF for 11 FGA is valuable. It might depend where you're taking him, personally I don't mind seeing I can get him late since if it doesn't work out there are some other quality PFs for similar FGAs like Brand, Pau, Bosh, etc.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#196 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat May 14, 2022 1:43 am

This Horford season is probably going to become pretty popular going forward. Comparable impact to 2017-18 at only 8.2 FGA.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,167

Post#197 » by durantbird » Sun May 15, 2022 10:25 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:This Horford season is probably going to become pretty popular going forward. Comparable impact to 2017-18 at only 8.2 FGA.

Grant Williams is also going to be a hit
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Post#198 » by wackbone » Fri May 27, 2022 2:24 am

Why do people not post their roster page early on in the draft and at least update the FGA as you go? You obviously are tracking the FGA somewhere, why not in the place you'll eventually have to have it anyways? Do you think it gives you some tactical advantage to not reveal the seasons you are using? Or do you just prefer to wait until close to the roster page deadline to put it up (or after the deadline)? I don't understand

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|Beverley
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|Williams
C: Chet Holmgren|Kleber

Other: Boeheim, Roddy, Thompson, Saric, McDermott
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#199 » by Colbinii » Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 pm

wackbone wrote:Why do people not post their roster page early on in the draft and at least update the FGA as you go? You obviously are tracking the FGA somewhere, why not in the place you'll eventually have to have it anyways? Do you think it gives you some tactical advantage to not reveal the seasons you are using? Or do you just prefer to wait until close to the roster page deadline to put it up (or after the deadline)? I don't understand

I've started tracking mine in an excel and its easier to simply copy-paste it into the roster page once completed. I use a simple =SUM column to calculate.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,167

Post#200 » by durantbird » Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm

wackbone wrote:Why do people not post their roster page early on in the draft and at least update the FGA as you go? You obviously are tracking the FGA somewhere, why not in the place you'll eventually have to have it anyways? Do you think it gives you some tactical advantage to not reveal the seasons you are using? Or do you just prefer to wait until close to the roster page deadline to put it up (or after the deadline)? I don't understand

I didn't do it because I still keep my seasons flexibility and didn't want to post something and then change it later. Previous draft I began to post the players at least as the draft goes.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games