Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,775

Re: T&T Games General Drafting/Off-Topic Thread 

Post#121 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Tony Snell wrote:
ardee wrote:I can't draft Giannis and PG once this regular season is over. I think both guys are easy first round picks in a '90 on draft now

Sent from my SM-G615F using RealGM mobile app

Giannis, probably. He is tough to build around, but he is efficient and creates mismatches which both will help his draft stock.

PG, I disagree his value changes at all. He is currently taking 21 shots per game. He isnt good enough to warrant that kind of FGA allocation, so I think this season is kind of useless in the scope of these games. Folks will continue to use his younger cheaper seasons and take him in the late 2nd/3rd is my prediction.

I think any assessment of his value for 2018-19 has to be tabled a bit until after the playoffs. If he maintains this level over an extended run (say they make the WCF) suddenly you're looking at a legit #1 option who also played at a DPOY level - a rare combination for a wing scorer. He also shoots the 3 at a 40% clip with very high volume. In a 90s to now game, I could easily see the 3-and-D element vaulting this version over the similarly priced Kobe for example, especially if you're able to snag a cheaper superstar big like Duncan, KG, or D-Rob to start with. First round might be a bit of a stretch though given the FGA cost.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#122 » by 8on » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:45 am

I'm at the point where I'll vote for any team with Klay, as long as it's kind of close.

That reminds me: I need to draft Klay more!

I still want to do a draft where we draft players we have had in three previous games.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#123 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Siakam will be a nice 18-19 pick
Tony Snell
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#124 » by Tony Snell » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:04 pm

8on wrote:I'm at the point where I'll vote for any team with Klay, as long as it's kind of close.

I still want to do a draft where we draft players we have had in three previous games.

I will forever argue that Klay , in my opinion, is the most overrated player on the board. I understand that this is a hot take. I don't know of a single other player who routinely gets selected for 17ish FGA who has one career season with a BPM above 1 and WS/48 above .144.
Greatest Bulls of All Time: 1. TONY SNELL 2. Jordan 3. Pippen 4. Rose 5. Gilmore
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#125 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Tony Snell wrote:
8on wrote:I'm at the point where I'll vote for any team with Klay, as long as it's kind of close.

I will forever argue that Klay , in my opinion, is the most overrated player on the board. I understand that this is a hot take. I don't know of a single other player who routinely gets selected for 17ish FGA who has one career season with a BPM above 1 and WS/48 above .144.

Klay is a weird one. His mix of skills is unusual and very helpful: basically a 3-and-D guy on steroids. I don't think he's a great overall defender, but he is pretty good one-on-one thanks to his size and effort level, and I believe he's underrated by metrics because of his lack of box score contributions (rebounds, steals, blocks). On the other hand, he is very expensive compared to a guy like Eddie Jones for example who for me is clearly a better overall player.

I think there are two things that make Klay so popular: his potential to catch fire and burn a team down in a way that most players in that role simply can't (Game 6 of the WCF being a prime example), and the fact that he can do it with minimal touches. With the teams in these games generally being packed with ball-dominant stars, that is a potent combination. Going back to Jones who I pick all the time, it's hard for me to argue that he could inspire the fear that Klay does in opposing defenses. And the guys that do - Steph, Reggie, Allen and the like - are generally not good defenders.

So basically all that rambling is to say that Klay's specific package of skills makes him valuable in these games than he is as a standalone player (which is probably true in real life). It's hard for me to be sure whether that makes him overrated or not.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#126 » by ardee » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:21 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Siakam will be a nice 18-19 pick

Probably as a 5th starter.... He's at 11.2 FGA, 1996 Shawn Kemp is at 11.9 FGA and is the superior player in every way and he doesn't get picked as often as you'd think.

Personally I think the best player sub 12 FGA who isn't a low FGA center is easily Terry Porter. Basically fits on every single team, lethal from 3, above average defender.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#127 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:24 pm

MadNESS wrote:.

Snakebites wrote:.

Timmaytime wrote:.

Please unsticky the Cross Division roster thread and sticky the current one.
Tony Snell
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#128 » by Tony Snell » Mon Mar 4, 2019 3:18 pm

ardee wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Siakam will be a nice 18-19 pick

Probably as a 5th starter.... He's at 11.2 FGA, 1996 Shawn Kemp is at 11.9 FGA and is the superior player in every way and he doesn't get picked as often as you'd think.

Personally I think the best player sub 12 FGA who isn't a low FGA center is easily Terry Porter. Basically fits on every single team, lethal from 3, above average defender.

I would argue in favor of Stockton as the best sub-12 FGA non-center. Draymond is probably in the conversation, too.

I agree that Siakam isn't quite there yet to be selected in these games. PF is a pretty loaded position, and there are generally options who are cheaper, and provide the same if not more.
Greatest Bulls of All Time: 1. TONY SNELL 2. Jordan 3. Pippen 4. Rose 5. Gilmore
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#129 » by Laimbeer » Mon Mar 4, 2019 6:05 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Tony Snell wrote:

Klay is a weird one. His mix of skills is unusual and very helpful: basically a 3-and-D guy on steroids. I don't think he's a great overall defender, but he is pretty good one-on-one thanks to his size and effort level, and I believe he's underrated by metrics because of his lack of box score contributions (rebounds, steals, blocks). On the other hand, he is very expensive compared to a guy like Eddie Jones for example who for me is clearly a better overall player.

I think there are two things that make Klay so popular: his potential to catch fire and burn a team down in a way that most players in that role simply can't (Game 6 of the WCF being a prime example), and the fact that he can do it with minimal touches. With the teams in these games generally being packed with ball-dominant stars, that is a potent combination. Going back to Jones who I pick all the time, it's hard for me to argue that he could inspire the fear that Klay does in opposing defenses. And the guys that do - Steph, Reggie, Allen and the like - are generally not good defenders.

So basically all that rambling is to say that Klay's specific package of skills makes him valuable in these games than he is as a standalone player (which is probably true in real life). It's hard for me to be sure whether that makes him overrated or not.

What's the case for Klay over Dipo? Dipo has a rep as a better defender and more well rounded on the offensive end. Klay is crazy from three, but Dipo is very good.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#130 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Mar 4, 2019 6:14 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Tony Snell wrote:I will forever argue that Klay , in my opinion, is the most overrated player on the board. I understand that this is a hot take. I don't know of a single other player who routinely gets selected for 17ish FGA who has one career season with a BPM above 1 and WS/48 above .144.

What's the case for Klay over Dipo? Dipo has a rep as a better defender and more well rounded on the offensive end. Klay is crazy from three, but Dipo is very good.

The shooting is a big one, especially since Oladipo has shot a middling percentage from 3 for most of his career. Klay is also a bit cheaper, has a much longer track record (I think this is a big one), and is an easier fit with most teams. 2017-18 Oladipo is the better player, but as a complementary piece Klay is just the safer bet.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#131 » by euroleague » Mon Mar 4, 2019 6:20 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Klay is a weird one. His mix of skills is unusual and very helpful: basically a 3-and-D guy on steroids. I don't think he's a great overall defender, but he is pretty good one-on-one thanks to his size and effort level, and I believe he's underrated by metrics because of his lack of box score contributions (rebounds, steals, blocks). On the other hand, he is very expensive compared to a guy like Eddie Jones for example who for me is clearly a better overall player.

The shooting is a big one, especially since Oladipo has shot a middling percentage from 3 for most of his career. Klay is also a bit cheaper, has a much longer track record (I think this is a big one), and is an easier fit with most teams. 2017-18 Oladipo is the better player, but as a complementary piece Klay is just the safer bet.

Klay is a top 3 catch and shoot player ever. If you help off of him or give him space, there’s a pretty high chance he starts seeing pure net the next 10 shots.

I’d argue he’s underrated as an elite scorer because the teams he’s been on have been so stacked. Bpm and WS/48 don’t calculate impact very well, it focuses more on USG - and Klay isn’t a big playmaker/rebounder
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#132 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Mar 4, 2019 6:49 pm

euroleague wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Klay is a top 3 catch and shoot player ever. If you help off of him or give him space, there’s a pretty high chance he starts seeing pure net the next 10 shots.

I’d argue he’s underrated as an elite scorer because the teams he’s been on have been so stacked. Bpm and WS/48 don’t calculate impact very well, it focuses more on USG - and Klay isn’t a big playmaker/rebounder

Yeah. We probably value on-ball guys too much in these games. In reality, it's hard to accommodate more than one lead ballhandler type, and once you get past two you're looking at some real diminishing returns. A guy like Klay doesn't look so impressive in a vacuum because he can't do as many different things as an Oladipo or a Butler, but as your third option (which is the role he generally plays) he's probably going to have more offensive success than either of them on most teams.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#133 » by euroleague » Tue Mar 5, 2019 10:00 am

Klay as a pure shooter spaces the floor for his team extremely well, as other teams have to shade him on the perimeter. His value lies largely in spacing the floor, not scoring
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#134 » by ardee » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 am

Manu vs Draymond?

Sent from my SM-G615F using RealGM mobile app
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#135 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 am

Random thought: I wonder what BdeRegt is up to. He's been AWOL for almost a year. I didn't always agree with him, but I liked how much thought he put into these games in terms of his own picks as well as his reasoning in the voting.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#136 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 am

For the decades game, please unsticky the roster thread for R2 and sticky the one for R3.[/quote]
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#137 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Please unsticky the three wins roster thread for and sticky the current one.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,690

Post#138 » by MadNESS » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:

Done-zo
LAKESHOW
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#139 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:44 am

MadNESS wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

Done-zo

Unsticky the Decades Tournament as well
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#140 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:45 pm

MadNESS wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

Done-zo

Sticky the random franchises thread por favor.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games