The Franchise Limit Draft R2 - Dr Positivity* vs. euroleague

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

The Franchise Limit Draft R2 - Dr Positivity* vs. euroleague 

Post#1 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 4 votes advances.**
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Re: The Franchise Limit Draft R2 - Dr Positivity vs. euroleague 

Post#2 » by euroleague » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Mike Conley (38) / Nate McMillan (10)
Victor Oladipo (28) / Nate McMillan (20)
Shawn Marion (38) / Victor Oladipo (10)
Draymond Green (36) / Jonas Jerebko (12)
Hakeem Olajuwon (36) / Omer Asik (8) / Hakeem (4)

(2) Hakeem Olajuwon 94 (21.2) - MVP, FMVP, DPOY
(1) Draymond Green 16 (10.1) - MVP(7), DPOY(2), 39% 3FG
(1) Mike Conley 13 (11.8) - All-Def 2nd, 36% 3FG, 2.2 spg
(1) Nate McMillan 94 (5.4) - All-Def 2nd, 39% 3FG, 3 spg
(3) Victor Oladipo 18(17.9)-All-NBA 3rd,All-Def 1st,23.1 PER
(5) Shawn Marion 07 (13.4) - All-Star, 20.8 PER, 12 WS
(3) Jonas Jerebko (3.3) - 42% 3FG, 58% TS, 13.8 PER
(4) Omer Asik 11 (1.7) - 3 DBPM, 55% FG, 11.8 PER

84.8/85, 20 teams

Offense: Draymond playing point against Barkley gives an instant jolt to our offense. Draymond will push the pace in transition with against a slow Gasol/Barkley (Barkley can't run all game because of his weight). We will play a very fast pace, almost SSOL, as Gasol/Barkley can't match the speed of Draymond/Hakeem for most of the game. Because this is the playoffs, we also have a half-court offense.

The half-court offense runs about 45% through Hakeem. Hakeem is the best player in this match-up, and Gasol isn't great to guard him, so Hakeem will do well here. For 40%, Barkley is a terrible PnR defender as he often slacks on rotations, and Draymond will be cutting, screening, and playmaking against him. Oladipo/Marion will cut hard off Draymond screens and abuse Barkley in the PnR with their explosiveness. Oladipo averaged 24ppg on the same efficiency as Kobe in 08 (28 ppg, 58% TS) without a 2nd star. He is unquestionably an elite perimeter scorer and creator, and here he will go against Barkley in PnR. Conley will abuse KJ. KJ in the playoffs had a 10.4 PER and 40% TS.

TLDR - Outrun Gasol/Barkley, Abuse Barkley in PnR, and abuse KJ off the bench

Defense: Hakeem on Gasol - with Hakeem's quickness, he can still help defend a decent amount from Gasol's 2013 mid-range
Draymond on Barkley - Barkley will get his, but Draymond is a quick and strong defender who is perfect to guard Barkley.
Oladipo on Bowen - Oladipo can help off of Bowen, and is an elite help defender to pester Barkley/Kobe while still in recovery range vs a spot-up shooter like Bowen (Oladipo lead the league in steals and was first team all-D - top notch pesterer)
Marion on Kobe - Marion has the size to bother kobe and the athleticism to push him around. Kobe should score on lower than usual efficiency, and I expect him to take a lot of shots here
McMilan/Conley on Billups/KJ - I'll keep McMilan on Billups as much as possible, and Conley on KJ. Conley will burn KJ, and I think McMilan can limit Billups very well.

Hakeem - 3.7 bpg, 1.6 spg
Draymond - 1.5 spg 1.4 bpg
Marion - 2 spg 1.5 bpg
Oladipo - 2.4spg .8 bpg
McMillan - 3 spg .3 bpg
Conley - 2.2 spg .3 bpg

We should force a lot of TO to turn our Defense into transition opportunities against Barkley/Gasol.

I have an advantage in head-to-head with Draymond/Hakeem vs Barkley/Gasol which puts Draymond/Hakeem in a perfect position for their talents while Barkley is going to get abused on Defense and have a tough match-up offensively. I don't think Kobe as the number 1 option will be efficient, and I think Defense beats Offense in this playoff matchup.

Vote Euro
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:56 pm

PG: Chauncey Billups (2005: 11.4 FGA, 7 teams) 2nd team All-Defense, .202 WS/48, 3.8 BPM, 16.5 pts, 5.8 ast, 3.4 reb, 42.6% 3pt, .609 TS%
SG: Kobe Bryant (2008: 20.6 FGA, 1 team) MVP, 1st team All-NBA, All-star, 1st team All-Defense, .208 WS/48, 5.4 BPM, 28.3 pts, 6.3 reb, 5.4 ast, 1.8 stl, 36.1% 3pt, .576 TS%
SF: Bruce Bowen (2003: 5.8 FGA, 4 teams) 2nd team All-Defense, .096 WS/48, 1.5 BPM, 7.1 pts, 2.9 reb, 1.4 ast, 0.8 STL, 44.1% 3pt, .563 TS%
PF: Charles Barkley (1990: 14.9 FGA, 3 teams) 2nd in MVP, 1st team All-NBA, All-star, .269 WS/48, 9.8 BPM, 25.2 pts, 11.5 reb, 3.9 ast, 1.9 stl, .661 TS%
C: Marc Gasol (2013: 10.9 FGA, 1 team) 12th in MVP, 2nd team All-NBA, Defensive Player of the Year, 2nd team All-Defense, .197 WS/48, 6.1 BPM, 14.1 pts, 7.8 reb, 4.0 ast, 1.7 blk, 1.0 stl, .559 TS%

PG: Kevin Johnson (1997: 12.7 FGA, 2 teams) 17th in MVP, .211 WS/48, 4.2 BPM, 20.1 pts, 9.3 reb, 3.6 reb, 1.5 stl, 44.1% 3pt, .631 TS%
SF/PF: Kyle Anderson (2018: 5.9 FGA, 1 team) .151 WS/48, 4.1 BPM, 7.9 pts, 5.4 reb, 2.7 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.8 blk (10.6 pts, 7.2 reb, 3.7 ast, 2.1 stl, 1.1 blk per 36), 33.3% 3pt, .582 TS%
C: Salah Mejri (2018: 2.2 FGA, 1 team) .175 WS/48, 3.1 BPM, 3.5 pts, 4.0 reb, 1.1 blk (10.6 pts, 12.1 reb, 3.3 blk per 36), .644 TS%

Total FGA: 84.4 / 85
Total teams: 20 / 20

PG: Chauncey Billups (18) / Kevin Johnson (30)
SG: Kobe Bryant (28) / Chauncey Billups (20)
SF: Bruce Bowen (30) / Kobe Bryant (10) / Kyle Anderson (8)
PF: Charles Barkley (34) / Kyle Anderson (14)
C: Marc Gasol (34) / Salah Mejri (10) / Charles Barkley (4)

- euro has great defense but lacks an elite perimeter creator. Oladipo is his 2nd best offensive player and could struggle as primary creator against a tough perimeter defense led by Bowen. Hakeem will face a lot of defensive attention and DPOY Gasol can do a solid job as the primary. I'm not that worried about Draymond PNR since euro lacks the elite perimeter player like Curry to run it with. At this level euro's team lacks elite perimeter skill which in tight playoff series could lead his offense to shut down for long runs, and his offense is in trouble when Hakeem sits while we can always have one of Kobe or Barkley playing

- We have the two best offensive players in the series in Kobe and Barkley, and Billups and KJ are arguably better on offense than any of his players but Hakeem, giving us 4 of the top 5. Kobe is one of the best difficult shot makers of all time which is an asset against an elite defense and Barkley is also someone who can score no matter what.

- We have the clear bench advantage with KJ, Anderson and Mejri against McMillan, Jerebko and Asik. KJ is all-star caliber X factor, and shoots well from 3 this year making his fit with Kobe better. We're playing a lot of KJ/Billups together which is fine beside he has a lot of Conley/McMillan. 2018 Anderson is also an asset compared to Jerebko, and is almost SF/PF version of his best bench player McMillan.

Overall the three MVP caliber stars are Hakeem, Kobe and Barkley and we have 2 of them. It won't be a pretty series but the skill level of our stars pull it out down the stretch
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,846

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Euro voted for Euro, what a surprise!

Euro has a great big man rotation and solid defenders from the wing. I think the biggest difference is the lack of fire power offensively Euro has. He doesn't have an elite scorer for the modern NBA on his roster [you could argue Hakeem, but he still lacks an elite perimeter player] for this caliber of game. I really like the combination of Billups/Bryant with KJ off the bench.

Dr P has a nice fitting big man rotation, but more importantly Gasol's IQ and size will be able to do well against Hakeem, the only elite offensive player on Euro's team.

Close, but I'll do the opposite of Euro and vote for Dr P.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Nobody is matching the defensive unit euro has put together, but outside of Chuck Dr P is also quite strong in that regard. Both teams will have to work for their points in this series, and having two reliable top-end scorers in Kobe and Chuck (compared to just Hakeem) along with two All-Star level PGs splitting time is going to be decisive in Dr P's favour. While Euro's defense will generate some transition opportunities that will keep him close, I trust Dr P's squad a lot more in the halfcourt.

Vote: Dr Positivity
euroleague
General Manager

Post#6 » by euroleague » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Colbinii wrote:Euro voted for Euro, what a surprise!

Euro has a great big man rotation and solid defenders from the wing. I think the biggest difference is the lack of fire power offensively Euro has. He doesn't have an elite scorer for the modern NBA on his roster [you could argue Hakeem, but he still lacks an elite perimeter player] for this caliber of game. I really like the combination of Billups/Bryant with KJ off the bench.

Dr P has a nice fitting big man rotation, but more importantly Gasol's IQ and size will be able to do well against Hakeem, the only elite offensive player on Euro's team.

For the record, I’m encouraging you to ‘vote Euro’, and not casting a vote.

I would argue Oladipo, a 24 ppg scorer on 58% TS isn’t that far behind Kobe at 28ppg on 58% TS, and is certainly the best offball player in this match excepting Marion. Hakeem is also a higher volume scorer than Barkley. Take into account Marion’s defense on Kobe vs Barkley’s PnR defense on Oladipo... and my team looks fine on the perimeter. Hakeem averaged 35ppg on 59%TS against David Robinson. I don’t think Gasol will bother him.

Rebuttal to DrP: Marion, Conley, and Draymond are superior to this version of KJ, Gasol and Billups on offense. Marion scores at the rate of KJ but far higher in the playoffs, Conley just behind Billups, and Draymond similar in the playoffs to Gasol with better three point shooting and playmaking.... Saying I have no perimeter playmaker is ridiculous, as Draymond is my PG with the best 2 perimeter offball players in this match - Oladipo/Marion - supporting him. Conley/McMillan/Draymond averaged a combined 19 apg...
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 pm

lilroddyb wrote:.

poopdamoop wrote:.

Tony Snell wrote:.

Laimbeer wrote:.

GeorgeMarcus wrote:.

ChicagoSportsFan21 wrote:.

8on wrote:.

DroppinDimes wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

Jon_3232 wrote:.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,846

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:36 pm

euroleague wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Euro voted for Euro, what a surprise!

For the record, I’m encouraging you to ‘vote Euro’, and not casting a vote.

I would argue Oladipo, a 24 ppg scorer on 58% TS isn’t that far behind Kobe at 28ppg on 58% TS, and is certainly the best offball player in this match excepting Marion. Hakeem is also a higher volume scorer than Barkley. Take into account Marion’s defense on Kobe vs Barkley’s PnR defense on Oladipo... and my team looks fine on the perimeter. Hakeem averaged 35ppg on 59%TS against David Robinson. I don’t think Gasol will bother him.

Rebuttal to DrP: Marion, Conley, and Draymond are superior to this version of KJ, Gasol and Billups on offense. Marion scores at the rate of KJ but far higher in the playoffs, Conley just behind Billups, and Draymond similar in the playoffs to Gasol with better three point shooting and playmaking.... Saying I have no perimeter playmaker is ridiculous, as Draymond is my PG with the best 2 perimeter offball players in this match - Oladipo/Marion - supporting him. Conley/McMillan/Draymond averaged a combined 19 apg...

I was just poking fun man, it's the internet and we are all participating in an activity we enjoy.

I didn't say that you lack playmakers, I said you lack elite perimeter scoring. I tend to value elite scoring in these games far more than in real life given how good defensively these teams are.

tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#9 » by ardee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:21 am

Vote: Dr P

The issue with Euro's team is he really lacks a truly dynamic perimeter creator... no I don't think Oladipo counts. Billups-Kobe vs Conley-Dipo is such a huge edge I don't think anything else in the series can make it up: I do think euro has the frontcourt edge but it's not too big once you account for fit (I don't think Marion is really in a position to maximize his impact). And I definitely prefer Dr P's bench.
DroppinDimes
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#10 » by DroppinDimes » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:26 am

My vote is for Dr.P

I just think he has a bit too much firepower that euro can't quite match.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:31 am

Dr P advances.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#12 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 am

Euro doesn't have an elite perimeter scorer but Conley/Dipo/Marion all carry their weight. I almost trust Olajuwon enough to be a contrarian, but ultimately I think Dr P's offense is too balanced and too talented to come up short. Even against that defense.

Vote - Dr P
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Re: The Franchise Limit Draft R2 - Dr Positivity* vs. euroleague 

Post#13 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 am

Guess I should have refreshed the page
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
euroleague
General Manager

Re: The Franchise Limit Draft R2 - Dr Positivity* vs. euroleague 

Post#14 » by euroleague » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 am

Missing Penny in the 3rd round after being skipped hurt, guess I needed TMAC in the 2nd. I do think Oladipo is getting underrated here, although he’s not Kobe

Return to Trades and Transactions Games