Sabotage Draft R1 - DCRYsing89 vs Hooplah

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Sabotage Draft R1 - DCRYsing89 vs Hooplah 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:16 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 4 votes wins, if there is no winner after 24 hours first to 3 votes wins **

DCRYsing89 wrote:

Hooplah wrote:
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Re: Sabotage Draft R1 - DCRYsing89 vs Hooplah 

Post#2 » by DCRYsing89 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:50 am

Since the time zones, Guess I will go first...

My rotation will stand at around...
PG - Deron Williams (40min) | Matthew Dellavedova (8min)
SG - Raja Bell (40min) | Matthew Dellavedova (8min)
SF - Andre Iguodala (40min) | OG Anunoby (8min)
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo (40min) | OG Anunoby (8min)
C - Moses Malone (40min) | Aron Baynes (8min)

Now offensively it is simple, We are running similar to the Malone and Dr J Philly teams, but with a higher focus on ball movement getting easier shots and having far superior spacing. Our athleticism and their lack of counters to our offence, alongside our elite rebounding giving us heaps more possessions then them, I find it hard to believe they will be able to stop us from scoring most times down the floor.

Now to my bread and butter Defensively. Deron on Johnson to start, Deron not a amazing defender but since most of Johnson’s work is done in the arch, he will have plenty of help. Richardson and Pierce will be constantly harassed by elite defenders in Bell and Iggy, they won’t be getting any easy shots. Giannis is probably the best defender in history to guard Bird, even with all of Birds skill and ability he will be met with constant length and athleticism of a DPOY contender. Artis Gilmore was a great player, but he is faced with One of the the best centres of his time, and Malone was great at defence himself, just not a alltime great.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Hooplah
Rookie
And1: 296

Post#3 » by Hooplah » Sun Jan 5, 2020 10:53 pm

86 Larry Bird 19.6
08 Paul Pierce 13.7
81 Artis Gilmore 10
92 Kevin Johnson 14.4
08 James Posey 5.6
96 Mich Richmond 16.9
13 D.J. Augustin 3.9
93 Charles Jones .9

85 FGA

Gilmore (40)/Jones (8)
Bird (40)/Posey (8)
Pierce (38)/Posey (10)
Posey (10)/Richmond (38)
Johnson (38)/Augustin (10)

Gilmore played Moses pretty evenly throughout their careers: https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Artis+Gilmore&player_id1_select=Artis+Gilmore&player_id1=gilmoar01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Moses+Malone&player_id2_select=Moses+Malone&player_id2=malonmo01&idx=players

Pierce is a great secondary option to Bird and Johnson is an underrated PG. 6-time All-Star Richmond is a big plus off the bench.

Bird, Richmond, Pierce, Posey and Augustin are elite from outside and KJ is a tough cover himself. The team is versatile on defense and offense, both inside and outside with a lot of depth on the bench.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,775

Post#4 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:21 am

Actually, I'm not a huge fan of DC's spacing around Giannis. Bell and Williams will draw their defenders away from the paint, but Iguodala will not - his 39% shooting from three is very much an outlier and I don't think it affects how he's guarded. Moses has a decent midrange jumper but his best work is done the paint and that's where you want him first and foremost.

On the flip side, Hooplah doesn't have a great primary matchup for Giannis - maybe Posey can do a solid job? - and Gilmore helping opens up offensive boards for Moses. However, Gilmore should defend Moses well overall.

Hooplah has Pierce, Bird, Richmond, and Posey who are all willing and mostly (except Bird due to era) high-volume three-point shooters. To me that's better spacing than DC has and should open things up nicely for KJ and Gilmore. (Side note: I'm not understanding the benching of Richmond, especially when he's going to play 38 minutes anyway).

In the end, I think having five All-NBA level players with a decent amount of off-ball ability makes Hooplah's attack too fluid and varied. DC has the better defensive group but it's going to be a grind on the other end to keep up with Hooplah.

Vote: Hooplah
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:54 am

Giannis and Moses is a tough matchup for Bird and Gilmore (who can’t match Moses energy), but playing beside a post center isn’t ideal for Giannis, and I’m not convinced Deron’s PNR game fits perfectly with these bigs either. Deron (one of my least favorite PG defenders) spending any time on KJ is an issue. The starting lineups are close enough, but Richmond off the bench seals it. Vote Hooplah
Jon_3232
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,942

Post#6 » by Jon_3232 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:00 am

I think not having anyone to guard Giannis is big here and on the flip side, Giannis can guard Bird pretty effectively. Deron/Bell/Iggy isn’t elite but it’s good spacing around Giannis.

Bell and Iggy are elite perimeter defenders who will give Pierce and Posey a lot of trouble. DCRY has good defensive options for Hooplahs offensive weapons, Hooplah does so for DCRYs outside of Giannis and I think that does it.

Vote DCRY
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#7 » by DCRYsing89 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:50 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Giannis and Moses is a tough matchup for Bird and Gilmore (who can’t match Moses energy), but playing beside a post center isn’t ideal for Giannis, and I’m not convinced Deron’s PNR game fits perfectly with these bigs either. Deron (one of my least favorite PG defenders) spending any time on KJ is an issue. The starting lineups are close enough, but Richmond off the bench seals it. Vote Hooplah

I am not one to argue with voters (anymore :lol: )
I just want clarification on why Derons P&R game doesn’t fit these bigs,
Baynes is a amazing P&R big, Giannis was the roll man, and ball handler in the P&R often...
And Malone got a little bit of hops and speed, although maybe not great he would be the only non-amazing P&R big I thought?
But he can just pop out and play as the 3rd man in it...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:59 pm

Super Powered wrote:

MadNESS wrote:

lilroddyb wrote:

Goober wrote:

Snakebites wrote:

ardee wrote:

Tony Snell wrote:
Tony Snell
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#9 » by Tony Snell » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:02 am

I'm going to go Hooplah here. Giannis will go big here. I dont mind the spacing as much as some of the others. But I like the overall fit and talent of Hooplahs team more.
Greatest Bulls of All Time: 1. TONY SNELL 2. Jordan 3. Pippen 4. Rose 5. Gilmore
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:09 am

Hooplah advances
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:11 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Giannis and Moses is a tough matchup for Bird and Gilmore (who can’t match Moses energy), but playing beside a post center isn’t ideal for Giannis, and I’m not convinced Deron’s PNR game fits perfectly with these bigs either. Deron (one of my least favorite PG defenders) spending any time on KJ is an issue. The starting lineups are close enough, but Richmond off the bench seals it. Vote Hooplah

I am not one to argue with voters (anymore :lol: )
I just want clarification on why Derons P&R game doesn’t fit these bigs,
Baynes is a amazing P&R big, Giannis was the roll man, and ball handler in the P&R often...
And Malone got a little bit of hops and speed, although maybe not great he would be the only non-amazing P&R big I thought?
But he can just pop out and play as the 3rd man in it...

I think Deron and Giannis PNR could work, but having another big in the paint in Moses isn’t ideal for it. Deron was best with Okur at the 5 beside Boozer

Return to Trades and Transactions Games