FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Re: FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22 

Post#101 » by migya » Fri Apr 1, 2022 5:25 pm

Top 5 in any boxscores category in chosen season. ie. Each player selected must be top 5 in any statistical category that chosen season, regardless of accolades.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,167

Post#102 » by durantbird » Wed Apr 6, 2022 6:02 am

Height draft. Not sure if less than two meters or the other way around (two meters or more), but this should be cool.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,071

Post#103 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:14 pm

durantbird wrote:Height draft. Not sure if less than two meters or the other way around (two meters or more), but this should be cool.

You mean like all little guys or all big guys? Or maybe do you can pick just one little guy OR just one big guy? Spitballing.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#104 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 7, 2022 11:16 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Also last night I thought of a very strategy-oriented game that we should try next (or in the near future).

1) The draft would consist of 6 rounds instead of 8
2) 4 of those rounds you must select individual players (like normal) while the other 2 rounds you must select pairs of players with the same last name. You may draft the individuals/pairs in any order you choose.
3) The 2 pairs must account for at least half of your team's total minute allocation, and the minute minimum is doubled to 16 for these players (it remains 8 for the other guys)

I really like the idea of deciding between, say, a Ben/Rasheed Wallace combo or Dirk Nowitzki. Reggie/Brad Miller vs D Wade. I'm just spit balling off the top of my head but there's a ton of room for unique strategizing in this format. I was thinking maybe 80s-present but I could be swayed differently.

Any interest?

I like it. Adds a twist to the pairs we did before. I wonder how many pairs of players like the Wallaces would actually go over Dirk or Giannis. My guess is not many.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#105 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Apr 8, 2022 1:02 am

Laimbeer wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:Also last night I thought of a very strategy-oriented game that we should try next (or in the near future).

1) The draft would consist of 6 rounds instead of 8
2) 4 of those rounds you must select individual players (like normal) while the other 2 rounds you must select pairs of players with the same last name. You may draft the individuals/pairs in any order you choose.
3) The 2 pairs must account for at least half of your team's total minute allocation, and the minute minimum is doubled to 16 for these players (it remains 8 for the other guys)

I really like the idea of deciding between, say, a Ben/Rasheed Wallace combo or Dirk Nowitzki. Reggie/Brad Miller vs D Wade. I'm just spit balling off the top of my head but there's a ton of room for unique strategizing in this format. I was thinking maybe 80s-present but I could be swayed differently.

Any interest?

I like it. Adds a twist to the pairs we did before. I wonder how many pairs of players like the Wallaces would actually go over Dirk or Giannis. My guess is not many.

That was my thought originally but getting your pairs "out of the way" gives a ton of flexibility in the later rounds that I think could pay off. I added the minute rule so people can't just cheap out on the pairs after assembling four studs in the individual rounds
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,859

Post#106 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Apr 8, 2022 12:52 pm

Each round is a position.
for added flavor, each round has a new draft order (if you were top 3 in first round you are automatically bottom 3 in second round)

Round 1: Center
Round 2: Point Guard
Round 3: Small Forward
Round 4: 6th man
Round 5: Power Forward
Round 6: 7th man
Round 7: Shooting Guard
Round 8: 8th man

Makes it really hard to plan on what to do.

I suggest changing up the FGA's per team allowance to maybe make it easier, but eliminate players who were a top 3 draft pick to make it harder.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by durantbird » Fri Apr 8, 2022 12:56 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Each round is a position.
each round has a new draft order.

I suggest changing up the FGA's per team allowance to maybe make it easier, but eliminate players who were a top 3 draft pick to make it harder.

6th man means wildcard or 50% games off the bench? Additionally it's problematic with the regular snake order that there are only specific teams that get to draft the best of each pool
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,859

Post#108 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Apr 8, 2022 1:04 pm

durantbird wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Each round is a position.
each round has a new draft order.

6th man means wildcard or 50% games off the bench? Additionally it's problematic with the regular snake order that there are only specific teams that get to draft the best of each pool

Yup, re: the 6th man. or, you draft someone who is ~10-15 FGAs knowing that you will need to save the FGAs for the starting lineup. Or just keep the draft order as Center/Point/Small Forward/Power Forwad/Shooting Guard/6th/7th/8th

Also the draft order resets each round.

Round 1 could be like this

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h

Round 2 would run as such, Teams d-h are entered for picks 1-5. Teams a-c are entered for picks 6-8. Etc for each round.

Draft pool for picks 1-5 each round are teams who picked 4-8 the previous round
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by durantbird » Fri Apr 8, 2022 6:40 pm

The sixth men draft. Only players who played 50% of their games in the given season off the bench are eligible.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,785

Post#110 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Apr 8, 2022 9:48 pm

Here's a simple one that could be fun: you can only draft players who have a unique first or last name (per Basketball Reference). So you can take Dwyane Wade (thanks to his weird-ass spelling) or Tracy McGrady, but not Chris Paul or Ray Allen.

The only research required is to type the player's name in BR and see if there's more than one result*. :lol:

It's actually surprising how many players meet this requirement. Going post-merger we could easily accommodate double-digit teams.

*Hits for players who never actually played an NBA/ABA game wouldn't count.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#111 » by wackbone » Sat Apr 9, 2022 12:37 am

We have some great ideas floating around, but I would like to run my list draft idea next if possible. I have this whole next week off of work so it would be easy for me to run it.

wackbone wrote:The List Draft

Normal draft order procedure. Everyone knows the order each round.

We would need a "commissioner"

At the start of the round, everyone sends the commissioner their List with who they want to take out of the available players. This pick remains a secret until the end of the round.

Ex. Let's say the pool is 2000-2021. The player with the first pick sends the commissioner a PM picking LeBron. The player with the second pick sends the commissioner a PM with 1. LeBron and 2. KD. The player with the third pick figures that LeBron has likely been taken (but again they don't actually KNOW, just making an educated guess) so they make their list 1. KG 2. Steph 3. KD. Fourth pick sends in 1. KG 2. KD 3. Steph 4. Kawhi. Etc etc. So then at the end of the round Team 1 gets LeBron, 2 gets KD, 3 gets KG, and 4 gets Steph.

Whatever your pick # is in a given round is how many guys you have to put on your list. The commissioner would reveal the picks at the end of the round. Then the process repeats for the 2nd round and so on.

We could discuss timeframe, any possible restrictions, any tweaks, and possibly randomizing the draft order each round so that 2 drafters don't have 1st pick half of the time, IDK.

Thoughts? Questions?

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#112 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 9, 2022 12:59 am

wackbone wrote:We have some great ideas floating around, but I would like to run my list draft idea next if possible. I have this whole next week off of work so it would be easy for me to run it.

At the start of the round, everyone sends the commissioner their List with who they want to take out of the available players. This pick remains a secret until the end of the round.

Ex. Let's say the pool is 2000-2021. The player with the first pick sends the commissioner a PM picking LeBron. The player with the second pick sends the commissioner a PM with 1. LeBron and 2. KD. The player with the third pick figures that LeBron has likely been taken (but again they don't actually KNOW, just making an educated guess) so they make their list 1. KG 2. Steph 3. KD. Fourth pick sends in 1. KG 2. KD 3. Steph 4. Kawhi. Etc etc. So then at the end of the round Team 1 gets LeBron, 2 gets KD, 3 gets KG, and 4 gets Steph.

Whatever your pick # is in a given round is how many guys you have to put on your list. The commissioner would reveal the picks at the end of the round. Then the process repeats for the 2nd round and so on.

We could discuss timeframe, any possible restrictions, any tweaks, and possibly randomizing the draft order each round so that 2 drafters don't have 1st pick half of the time, IDK.

Thoughts? Questions?

Why wouldn't you just put your top choices in order? What am I missing?
wackbone
RealGM

Post#113 » by wackbone » Sat Apr 9, 2022 1:40 am

Laimbeer wrote:
wackbone wrote:We have some great ideas floating around, but I would like to run my list draft idea next if possible. I have this whole next week off of work so it would be easy for me to run it.

Thoughts? Questions?

You certainly could just put them in order. It's moreso about not knowing who you get until the end of each round and then having to make your following list based on that and other's picks. Although there is something to be said for not putting a LeBron on your list if you have the 10th pick.

BAF Celtics

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#114 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 9, 2022 2:20 am

Laimbeer wrote:Why wouldn't you just put your top choices in order? What am I missing?

If Lebron isn't going to fall to your pick, you're better off not having him on your list and ranking everyone else one spot higher.
wackbone
RealGM

Post#115 » by wackbone » Sat Apr 9, 2022 2:52 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Why wouldn't you just put your top choices in order? What am I missing?

If Lebron isn't going to fall to your pick, you're better off not having him on your list and ranking everyone else one spot higher.

That was my thinking as well, but it actually doesn't matter if you think it through.

Say you have pick 10. Yes you aren't going to get LeBron. But consider this:

Your ideal top 10 picks:
1. First
2. Second
3. Third
4. Fourth
5. Fifth
6. Sixth
7. Seventh
8. Eighth
9. Ninth
10. Tenth

Vs

Your top 10 picks if removing LeBron, KD, Shaq:
1. Fourth
2. Fifth
3. Sixth
4. Seventh
5. Eighth
6. Ninth
7. Tenth
8. Eleventh
9. Twelfth
10. Thirteenth

But if you have the tenth pick, that guarantees you will get one of your top 10 guys. So you would never get your 11th-13th guys, even though they're 8th-10th on your submitted list. Does that make sense? You might as well submit your top ten regardless of who you assume will already be taken.

I hadn't considered that before, but now I see it.

BAF Celtics

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#116 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 9, 2022 3:30 am

wackbone wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

That was my thinking as well, but it actually doesn't matter if you think it through.

Your ideal top 10 picks:
1. First
2. Second
3. Third
4. Fourth
5. Fifth
6. Sixth
7. Seventh
8. Eighth
9. Ninth
10. Tenth

Vs

1. Fourth
2. Fifth
3. Sixth
4. Seventh
5. Eighth
6. Ninth
7. Tenth
8. Eleventh
9. Twelfth
10. Thirteenth

But if you have the tenth pick, that guarantees you will get one of your top 10 guys. So you would never get your 11th-13th guys, even though they're 8th-10th on your submitted list. Does that make sense? You might as well submit your top ten regardless of who you assume will already be taken.

Yeah but you might get your 7th or 8th pick or something instead of 10th if you go with the second list.

What if the draft order was randomized every round?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#117 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 9, 2022 12:39 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
wackbone wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

Your ideal top 10 picks:
1. First
2. Second
3. Third
4. Fourth
5. Fifth
6. Sixth
7. Seventh
8. Eighth
9. Ninth
10. Tenth

Vs

1. Fourth
2. Fifth
3. Sixth
4. Seventh
5. Eighth
6. Ninth
7. Tenth
8. Eleventh
9. Twelfth
10. Thirteenth

Yeah but you might get your 7th or 8th pick or something instead of 10th if you go with the second list.

What if the draft order was randomized every round?

You'll always get your highest preference available with the first list.

There is a slight twist since you can't see what others are doing (no defensive drafting), It also has the advantage of only having to interact once a day for those with clock issues.

I don't think you can re-randomize each round. Luck would be much too big a factor.

Give it a go if you like.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#118 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 9, 2022 3:03 pm

Laimbeer wrote:You'll always get your highest preference available with the first list.

Let's say someone has the 10th pick and their preference is

1. Lebron
2. Jordan
3. Magic
4. Durant
5. Garnett
6. Duncan
7. Shaq
8. Hakeem
9. Curry
10. Dirk

If the list they send is

1. Shaq
2. Hakeem
3. Curry
4. Dirk
5. Wade
6. Kobe
7. Barkley
8. Karl Malone
9. Paul
10. Nash

You have a chance of getting Shaq or Hakeem despite having the 10th pick, if the players with the 7th-9th pick have players like Garnett, Duncan, Durant ranked 1st. Then the player with the 10th pick gets Shaq over them because he punted on those players and ranked him 1st. Since the people on the first list punted on Lebron/MJ/Magic and ranked Shaq in their top 5, you wouldn't get him over them if you sent the first list where he is ranked 7th
wackbone
RealGM

Post#119 » by wackbone » Sat Apr 9, 2022 4:34 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:You'll always get your highest preference available with the first list.

Let's say someone has the 10th pick and their preference is

1. Lebron
2. Jordan
3. Magic
4. Durant
5. Garnett
6. Duncan
7. Shaq
8. Hakeem
9. Curry
10. Dirk

If the list they send is

1. Shaq
2. Hakeem
3. Curry
4. Dirk
5. Wade
6. Kobe
7. Barkley
8. Karl Malone
9. Paul
10. Nash

You have a chance of getting Shaq or Hakeem despite having the 10th pick, if the players with the 7th-9th pick have players like Garnett, Duncan, Durant ranked 1st. Then the player with the 10th pick gets Shaq over them because he punted on those players and ranked him 1st. Since the people on the first list punted on Lebron/MJ/Magic and ranked Shaq in their top 5, you wouldn't get him over them if you sent the first list where he is ranked 7th

I guess we'd just have to run it and see what happens!

BAF Celtics

durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by durantbird » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:31 am

Laimbeer wrote:

Thoughts? Questions?

Yeah I don't think this idea makes much sense

Return to Trades and Transactions Games