Young Franchises Draft Play-in #1 - Ryoga Hibiki* vs. Troubadour

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Young Franchises Draft Play-in #1 - Ryoga Hibiki* vs. Troubadour 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Sat May 14, 2022 8:42 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances.**

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

Troubadour wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,592

Re: Young Franchises Draft Play-in #1 - Ryoga Hibiki vs. Troubadour 

Post#2 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat May 14, 2022 9:38 am

Here is my rooster page and relative years for each player.

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Dirk Nowitzki 2011 16.2
Alonzo Mourning 1998 12.6
Steve Nash 2004 10.2
OG Anunoby 2020 8.2
Doug Christie 2000 11.7
Chauncey Billups 2002 10.0
Lonzo Ball 2019 10.9
Herb Jones 2022 7.4

87.2/88

Nash (30)/Billups (13)/Lonzo (5)
Christie (16)/Lonzo (17)/Billups (15)
Anunoby (14)/Christie (16)/ Jones (20)
Dirk (30)/Anunoby (12)/Jones (6)
Zo (34)/Dirk (6)/Anunoby (8)

Philosophy:
The base is having Nash and Dirk together, that guarantee you a top offense, with a number complementary players that can close any gap defensively.
A combination of strong&quick wing sized high level defensive players in OG, Christie, Herb and Lonzo, three of the shooting in the high 30s from three but all able to keep the ball moving after the advantage had been created. Lonzo and Christie in particular are actually very good to elite passers.
An absolutely elite paint protector like Lonzo that is also a great offensive option especially with the space this team would have a next to a PG like Nash.
2002 was the year Billups blossomed average 20ppg in the playoff, he had positional size and good defense so that he can even play good minutes next to Nash.
About Nash, the main difference between 2005 Nash and 2004 Nash was his durability and a different system. We will play spread pick and roll and move the ball to give Dirk easy looks without overusing his high post iso.
Some other interesting lineups that I can throw:
Nash/Christie/Jones/Anunoby/Dirk stationing Herb on the dunker spot, against team without a strong paint presence
Billups/Lonzo/Christie/Anunoby/Zo to max defense while keeping a strong offense

On this matchup, I don't think this team can actually stop a Nash/Nowitzki offence.
Nash is going to be free at every screen and pick this defense apart and I don't see Siakam or others stopping Dirk and 100% JJJ is going to jump at every pump fake. I don't see alternatives in the bench.
On defense, I am not even that scared about Lowry vs Nash, as Nash was more exposed by fast and shifty guards while he could hold his own a bit more against the bigger ones waiting for help.
The real threat is going to be Wade, but I thing I am exceptionally tooled to limit him with OG, Jones and Christie to rotate against him.

Ryoga in 5
Слава Украине!
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#3 » by Troubadour » Sat May 14, 2022 6:18 pm

Full Roster:

Dwyane Wade (2008-2009) - 22 FGA
Spoiler:
30.2 PTS / 7.5 AST / 5.0 REB / 2.2 STL / 1.3 BLK / 9.8 FTA / 57.4% TS / 51.6% 2FG / 31.7% 3FG
All-NBA 1st Team, 3rd in MVP voting, Scoring Title

Marc Gasol (2012-2013) - 10.9 FGA
Spoiler:
14.1 PTS / 7.8 REB / 4.0 AST / 1.0 STL / 1.7 BLK / 50.1% 2FG / 49.4% on long twos
Defensive Player of the Year

Pascal Siakam (2018-2019) - 11.8 FGA
Spoiler:
16.9 PTS / 6.9 REB / 3.1 AST / 0.9 STL / 0.7 BLK / 60.2% 2FG / 36.9% 3FG
Most Improved Player, NBA Champion, 8th most points in an NBA Finals Debut

Kyle Lowry (2018-2019) - 11.4 FGA
Spoiler:
14.2 PTS / 8.7 AST / 4.8 REB / 1.4 STL / 0.5 BLK / 51.4% 2FG / 34.7% 3FG on 7.0 attempts
All-Star, NBA Champion

Marvin Williams (2015-2016) - 9.2 FGA
Spoiler:
11.7 PTS / 6.4 REB / 1.4 AST / 0.7 STL / 1.0 BLK / 50.4% 2FG / 40.2% 3FG
Career year earning him a 4 year / $54M contract

Bismack Biyombo (2015-2016) - 3.5 FGA
Spoiler:
5.5 PTS / 8.0 REB / 1.6 BLK / 54.2% FG
Career year earning him a 4 year / $72M contract, Set Raptors playoff record with 26 rebounds in a single game

Mario Chalmers (2010-2011) - 5.5 FGA
Spoiler:
6.4 PTS / 2.5 AST / 2.1 REB / 1.1 STL / 35.9% 3FG
Averaged 12 PTS and 4 AST on 40% 3FG in the 2011 NBA Finals

Jaren Jackson Jr (2021-2022) - 13.3 FGA
Spoiler:
16.3 PTS / 5.8 REB / 1.1 AST / 0.9 STL / 2.3 BLK / 47.6% 2FG / 31.9% 3FG
League-leader in blocked shots, 18 games with 3+ made threes

Lineups

G - Kyle Lowry
G - Dwyane Wade
F - Pascal Siakam
F- Jaren Jackson Jr
C - Marc Gasol

Bench
- Bismack Biyombo
- Mario Chalmers
- Marvin Williams

Guard minutes:
Kyle Lowry [34]
Dwyane Wade [38]
Mario Chalmers [24]

Forward minutes:
Pascal Siakam [38]
Jaren Jackson Jr [32]
Marvin Williams [26]

Centre minutes:
Marc Gasol [32]
Bismack Biyombo [16]

Match-Ups:
Kyle Lowry will defend Steve Nash
Dwyane Wade will defend Doug Christie
Jaren Jackson Jr will defend OG Anunoby
Pascal Siakam will defend Dirk Nowitzki
Marc Gasol will defend Alonzo Mourning

Points of Emphasis:
Attack Nash and Nowitzki. Dwyane Wade has the advantage against virtually any player on this team, but we will be hunting Nash and Dirk as much as possible. We have seen in the 2019 Finals and 2022 Western Conference Semis that Draymond Green had trouble containing Siakam and Jackson Jr off the dribble. Nowitzki will have a lot of trouble with that match-up. Lowry is quick and physical meaning Nash won't be able to hide anywhere defensively.

Keep Mourning out of the paint. Whether it's attacking mismatches in the paint or driving to the rim, Mourning does pose a shotblocking threat. Marc Gasol's prowess as a long midrange shooter (50% on long twos) means there will always be an open shot if Mourning goes over to help. That will mean an open shot or it will force a rotation creating an open three-point shot for Lowry or a drive for Wade or Siakam.

Aggressive Defensive Tactics. Every player on this team is a plus defender capable of executing aggressive defensive tactics. The defensive versatility of this team means we can throw a lot of different looks at Nash and Nowitzki. Goal will be to create turnovers, protect the paint and force a lot of late shots.

Rebounding and Transition. We feel we have a big advantage crashing the offensive glass in this match-up with size and/or athletic advantages at every position. We'll create extra possessions that way while running on makes and misses. Lowry, Wade and Siakam are three of the most dynamic transition players in this draft and will put a lot of pressure on the opposing team.

Contain Nash/Nowitzki pick and pop/short roll. Not concerned about Nowitzki as a roller, but Pascal Siakam has the size, quickness and length to make life hard on Nowitzki in the short roll and pick + pop. With Jaren Jackson Jr playing primarily as a help defender, we are content to funnel Nash towards the help and force the opposing team's shooters to make high-pressure shots.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 14, 2022 7:47 pm

I preferred Troubadour's lineup when it was going to be Marvin Williams starting and 2022 Siakam, I don't really like downgraded Siakam at SF playing beside Jackson. His team should be good on defense but the frontcourt fit around Wade's game isn't the best to me. On the other hand I'm not sure how we let have Ryoga get Dirk, Mourning and Nash, and his supporting cast is solid with two good 3 and D guys and then Billups, Ball and Herb is an excellent bench. Vote Ryoga Hibiki.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#5 » by wackbone » Sat May 14, 2022 11:48 pm

While I like a lot of the talent on Troubadour's squad, I agree with Dr P that having a frontline of Siakam-JJJ-Marc is not really great for Wade, who is already being guarded by some great defenders. Ryoga should be able to contain Wade here, and if that happens I don't see how Troubadour's offense can keep up with Ryoga's.

Vote: Ryoga Hibiki

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by durantbird » Sun May 15, 2022 7:23 am

I actually much prefer Troubadour's defensive scheme, although offensively Siakam as SF is not ideal and there's some lack of spacing - having Gasol as a spacing center compensates that somewhat. Nash-Dirk is a great offensive duo on paper but didn't have a lot of success in practice and hurt you on the defensive side, and 1996 is not the best Alonzo year. I like Ryoga's becnh but Lonzo and Billups are also somewhat redundant. This is close but I'll go with Troubador.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,592

Post#7 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 am

durantbird wrote:I actually much prefer Troubadour's defensive scheme, although offensively Siakam as SF is not ideal and there's some lack of spacing - having Gasol as a spacing center compensates that somewhat. Nash-Dirk is a great offensive duo on paper but didn't have a lot of success in practice and hurt you on the defensive side, and 1996 is not the best Alonzo year. I like Ryoga's becnh but Lonzo and Billups are also somewhat redundant. This is close but I'll go with Troubador.
I would use Lonzo more as a secondary ballhandler and connector in the half court.
That version has enough shooting and the size to guard 1-3.
I think they can easily play together

Moreover, Nash and Nowitzki had TONS of success together, offensively, but those Dallas teams were flawed in a way my team isn't, in defense.
And I took 2011 Dirk that was the final product as an iso bailout guy and we're playing in modern era without handchecking, hence also Nash will get an extra bump.

___
Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,787

Post#8 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun May 15, 2022 11:47 am

Troubadour's team has a very similar setup to the 2019 Raps, down to some of the exact same seasons (Siakam, Lowry) plus Gasol who was a similar level of offensive player except without the three-point range. However, there is a downgrade in spacing when replacing Green with JJJ and sliding Siakam down to the 3, especially since Wade is a notably worse outside shooter than Kawhi. I also think the group of perimeter defenders at Ryoga's disposal, led by Christie and OG, can take advantage of those limitations to limit the damage done by Wade and Siakam. Gasol is a solid spacer with his midrange game but that isn't going to pull Zo away as much as the 2019 iteration who was taking over a quarter of his shots from beyond the arc.

On the other end, Dirk at the elbow with good spacing and playmaking looks very tough to stop. Zo isn't quite peak here but there's also significantly less being asked of him offensively than in real life. I don't think 16 minutes of Biz is viable against those five-out bench lineups either.

Vote: Ryoga Hibiki
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by durantbird » Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm

Ryoga Hibiki advances

Return to Trades and Transactions Games