Young Franchises Draft R1 #3 - Dr Positivity* vs Ryoga Hibiki

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,164

Young Franchises Draft R1 #3 - Dr Positivity* vs Ryoga Hibiki 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Sun May 15, 2022 12:59 pm

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances.**

Dr Positivity wrote:

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Re: Young Franchises Draft R1 #3 - Dr Positivity vs Ryoga Hibiki 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 15, 2022 9:17 pm

PG: Mike Conley (2013: 11.8 FGA)
SG: Danny Green (2019: 7.9 FGA)
SF: Vince Carter (2001: 22.1 FGA)
PF: Horace Grant (1995: 9.6 FGA)
C: Shaquille O'Neal (1995: 20.2 FGA)

PG/SG: Jason Terry (2005: 9.3 FGA)
SG: Raja Bell (2003: 2.8 FGA = 3.0)
PF/C: Dwight Powell (2021: 3.3 FGA)

87.2 / 88

PG: Mike Conley (38) / Jason Terry (10)
SG: Danny Green (16) / Jason Terry (24) / Raja Bell (8)
SF: Vince Carter (30) / Danny Green (18)
PF: Horace Grant (38) / Vince Carter (8) / Dwight Powell (2)
C: Shaquille O'Neal (38) / Dwight Powell (10)

GL Ryoga

Defensive matchups: Conley on Nash, Green/Terry on Christie, Carter on Anunoby, Grant on Dirk, Shaq on Mourning. Solid matchup for us with some of our best defenders on Nash and Dirk.

- While Nash, Dirk and Mourning is a pretty high powered big three, I feel 98 Mourning is a little bit worse than 99 and 00, as reflected in stats like WS and BPM where he jumps the latter two years. Nash's scoring and advanced stats are also a bit down in 04 compared to a season like 03, we'll certainly to attack him on switches, in addition to what Conley can do individually. Green and Grant are more accomplished and experienced role players than Christie and Anunoby at this point in their career.

- His bench is talented but also has two PGs as his best players, Nash, Billups and Lonzo will be playing a lot of minutes together, Nash/Billups together in particular I'm not sure about the fit, whereas Terry is more used to playing in an off in ball role and will be our real 3rd option. Bell can play in a spot up shooting role and Powell is in rotation of a quality playoff team.

Our supporting cast around Vince and Shaq may not be the sexiest but we have three great defenders in Conley, Green and Grant and solid shooting in Conley, Green and Terry, and our top 2 guys can take enough shots.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,522

Post#3 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon May 16, 2022 9:37 am

I am very busy for a few hours, I apologize.
As I come home I will go through this.

edit: here I am.
Once again let me quote my team presentation:

Dirk Nowitzki 2011 16.2
Alonzo Mourning 1998 12.6
Steve Nash 2004 10.2
OG Anunoby 2020 8.2
Doug Christie 2000 11.7
Chauncey Billups 2002 10.0
Lonzo Ball 2019 10.9
Herb Jones 2022 7.4

87.2/88

Nash (30)/Billups (13)/Lonzo (5)
Christie (16)/Lonzo (17)/Billups (15)
Anunoby (14)/Christie (16)/ Jones (20)
Dirk (30)/Anunoby (12)/Jones (6)
Zo (34)/Dirk (6)/Anunoby (8)

Philosophy:
The base is having Nash and Dirk together, that guarantee you a top offense, with a number complementary players that can close any gap defensively.
A combination of strong&quick wing sized high level defensive players in OG, Christie, Herb and Lonzo, three of the shooting in the high 30s from three but all able to keep the ball moving after the advantage had been created. Lonzo and Christie in particular are actually very good to elite passers.
An absolutely elite paint protector like Lonzo that is also a great offensive option especially with the space this team would have a next to a PG like Nash.
2002 was the year Billups blossomed average 20ppg in the playoff, he had positional size and good defense so that he can even play good minutes next to Nash.
About Nash, the main difference between 2005 Nash and 2004 Nash was his durability and a different system. We will play spread pick and roll and move the ball to give Dirk easy looks without overusing his high post iso.
Some other interesting lineups that I can throw:
Nash/Christie/Jones/Anunoby/Dirk stationing Herb on the dunker spot, against team without a strong paint presence
Billups/Lonzo/Christie/Anunoby/Zo to max defense while keeping a strong offense

Key comments about this matchup:
* this is a series where I can somewhat protect Nash putting him on Danny Green. This version of Nash is between his All NBA seasons and his MVP seasons, so we must check what was the context. It was during the Nelson/Cuban feud, when the philosophy of the team that went so close to the finals was all junked up with the likes of Walker and Jamison, reducing his role both as a finisher and as a creator. But that still was Steve Nash, and still that team was (and I think still is) the the best offensive team of all time vs league average. I am now taking that player, put a healthier ecosystem (especially on defense) around him and in the modern game with less hand checking. I will not let the likes of Mike Bibby isolate against him in space. It's not yet vegan Nash, that's why I will preserve him in terms of minutes
* about the guard rotation, Nash and Billups can easily play together. Both can handle, shoot the ball on the catch and make a play with an advantage. Of course you need the right matchup defensively but on offence I see zero issues. Lonzo is not a modern PG, for me, he can't create in halfcourt. But he has enough size and rebounding to to guard 1-3 while this version already fixed his outside shot to 38% in high volume. he will then make all the right reads and keep the advantage created mainly by Dirk, in a way similar 2011 Kidd was doing. So, he can either play the two next to Nash or Billups or the one with Dirk
* This is not peak Zo but we're not far from it. And in this team he will focus on defense and play finishes, as he's going to have tons of space to establish position and passers like Nash and Lonzo to deliver him the ball inside. He's good enough that he won't need just a lob, he can finish and put Shaq in foul trouble if you move the ball around, I can't imagine any version of Shaq defend a Spain pick and roll with Zo rolling and Dirk popping
* I think Zo is an excellent defender against Shaq, and Christie will make the entry pass difficult and Dirk has the length to bother him on the double. Also consider that's not Shaq's best as a passer, and I am not so scared of giving Horace a mid range, if necessary
* I think my wings are as good as anyone to limit Vince, especially OG. VInce will score but on low efficiency, and he was not the creator who could pick apart a defense like Luka or Lebron
* This is Dirk at his best as an offensive hub, and I am trusting him here. But even the minutes with Billups and Zo can guarantee an excellent offence
* Last point, he's using his starters so much and his bench is not very impressive. He'll be really exposed to fatigue, foul trouble or anything that could limit the minutes of his starters

Ryoga in 6
Слава Украине!
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by durantbird » Mon May 16, 2022 3:12 pm

The Nash-Dirk duo, although limited defensively, can be "hidden" in this matchup defending Green and Grant. But I'm not how well this version of OG will defend Vince Carter and Zo while being a great Shaq defender can only slow him down. On the other hand, Dirk and Nash do have great answers with Conley and Grant. This is close but I'll go with Dr Positivity.

Vote: Dr Positivity
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,783

Post#5 » by Larry_Russell » Mon May 16, 2022 3:24 pm

Vote Dr P

Vince and Shaq and Conley is a better fitting trio of offense than Dirk, sub prime Nash and Christie?
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by durantbird » Mon May 16, 2022 4:09 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Vote Dr P

Vince and Shaq and Conley is a better fitting trio of offense than Dirk, sub prime Nash and Christie?

Third guy here is probably Mourning
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,386

Post#7 » by wackbone » Mon May 16, 2022 11:30 pm

I've been going back and forth on this for a while. Ultimately I think Ryoga has too many guys in off-peak/early or late prime years for my taste, whereas Dr P just has 95 Shaq who was still formidable, even if not AS formidable as 00/01.

Vote: Dr P

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|Beverley
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|Williams
C: Chet Holmgren|Kleber

Other: Boeheim, Roddy, Thompson, Saric, McDermott
durantbird
Lead Assistant