Time zones and tiredness strongly influence NBA results

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Time zones and tiredness strongly influence NBA results 

Post#1 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu May 2, 2024 2:11 am

I wonder if this can be quantified in a way other than win %.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240501091642.htm
The body clock has a significant impact on the performance of NBA players. Data shows vastly better win ratio for home teams from the Western Time Zone Area (PDT) when playing an EDT team, compared to vice versa.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,355

Re: Time zones and tiredness strongly influence NBA results 

Post#2 » by wegotthabeet » Mon May 13, 2024 9:05 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:I wonder if this can be quantified in a way other than win %.

The body clock has a significant impact on the performance of NBA players. Data shows vastly better win ratio for home teams from the Western Time Zone Area (PDT) when playing an EDT team, compared to vice versa.

personally i find that it's much more taxing to travel east than west, but my schedule isn't nearly as regimented as a pro athlete's.

the findings make sense because if an Eastern Conference player is accustomed to sleeping at 11:30 PM, when playing on the west coast they would be playing at that same time turned to their respective internal clock back home.

so west coast teams have an advantage here. especially in the Finals.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,984

Post#3 » by toooskies » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:14 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:

personally i find that it's much more taxing to travel east than west, but my schedule isn't nearly as regimented as a pro athlete's.

the findings make sense because if an Eastern Conference player is accustomed to sleeping at 11:30 PM, when playing on the west coast they would be playing at that same time turned to their respective internal clock back home.

I don't think NBA players go to sleep at 11:30pm.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,355

Post#4 » by wegotthabeet » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:19 pm

toooskies wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

That was just a hypothetical time.

Should have just said whatever time they regularly go to sleep.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:21 pm

toooskies wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

That's not the relevant point. The point is most NBA players are winding down their day around that time, when playing on the West Coast requires them to still ramp with energy until 2-3 more hours.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,984

Post#6 » by toooskies » Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
toooskies wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

That's not the relevant point. The point is most NBA players are winding down their day around that time, when playing on the West Coast requires them to still ramp with energy until 2-3 more hours.

Are they? NBA players often go out to dinner after their games, if not head out on the town. Many players take naps in the middle of the afternoon, meaning they're not even winding down. These guys are trained to perform optimally at night.

They also have the advantage of knowing the season schedule well in advance to adjust your days in advance, and often a team's faraway road games are consecutive, meaning you only have to shift your body clock once or twice a year.

I often think that weekend playing schedules where you play early in the afternoon are the much harder games to play, particularly for a west-coast team heading east. But even for east coast teams that might have noon tipoffs.

Return to Statistical Analysis