The Mother of all Stats...

Moderator: Doctor MJ

User avatar
Bucketz_McGee
Sophomore
Posts: 163
And1: 153
Joined: Feb 16, 2018
   

The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#1 » by Bucketz_McGee » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

What is it?

The basic box scores? PER? ASPM? SPM? xRAPM? RPM?? etc...

Or is the good ol' fashion eye test?

I do not think there is one that definitively measures the entire game of basketball.
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". :meditate:
User avatar
Bucketz_McGee
Sophomore
Posts: 163
And1: 153
Joined: Feb 16, 2018
   

Re: RE: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#2 » by Bucketz_McGee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:59 am

Bucketz_McGee wrote:What is it?

The basic box scores? PER? ASPM? SPM? xRAPM? RPM?? etc...

Or is the good ol' fashion eye test?

I do not think there is one that definitively measures the entire game of basketball.
Neither do I. But I know some people prefer certain stats over others. Personally, I don't like PER as it explicitly does not include defensive stats. That is half of the game.



"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfy or reassuring" C.S
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". :meditate:
User avatar
BombsquadSammy
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 7,004
And1: 13,891
Joined: Sep 03, 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, in statue form
     

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#3 » by BombsquadSammy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm not sure there's one single stat we can ever look at to tell us the whole story.
Image
User avatar
BombsquadSammy
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 7,004
And1: 13,891
Joined: Sep 03, 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, in statue form
     

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#4 » by BombsquadSammy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:49 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:I'm not sure there's one single stat we can ever look at to tell us the whole story.


I disagree; everything can be parsed down to a single element of information, and basketball is no different.
Image
User avatar
BombsquadSammy
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 7,004
And1: 13,891
Joined: Sep 03, 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, in statue form
     

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#5 » by BombsquadSammy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:49 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:I'm not sure there's one single stat we can ever look at to tell us the whole story.


I disagree; everything can be parsed down to a single element of information, and basketball is no different.


You guys are both wrong; it's all about finding a balance.
Image
euroleague
Analyst
Posts: 3,187
And1: 585
Joined: Mar 26, 2014
 

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#6 » by euroleague » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 am

there is no mother. Just stats
User avatar
Sark
RealGM
Posts: 13,846
And1: 8,618
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Location: Location:
 

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#7 » by Sark » Tue May 1, 2018 10:46 pm

The final score.
#KnicksREBUILD
dice
RealGM
Posts: 30,676
And1: 7,064
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: RE: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#8 » by dice » Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:50 pm

Bucketz_McGee wrote:
Bucketz_McGee wrote:What is it?

The basic box scores? PER? ASPM? SPM? xRAPM? RPM?? etc...

Or is the good ol' fashion eye test?

I do not think there is one that definitively measures the entire game of basketball.
Neither do I. But I know some people prefer certain stats over others. Personally, I don't like PER as it explicitly does not include defensive stats. That is half of the game.

did you seriously just respond to yourself in the 3rd person?

PER does include defensive stats, by the way. just not sufficiently or well
‘Cavs, Lakers believed to be frontrunners for LeBron’

Gordon Catrell: “THINK. LAL doesnt want him. LAL knows how to leak a position (see KL).
LAL has NOT pursued or prepped for BronInc. This is a one-way flirting. And it isnt from Magic/RP to BronInc”
Heat84
Junior
Posts: 270
And1: 8
Joined: Feb 20, 2010

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#9 » by Heat84 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 am

Definitely not +/-(for basketball players). It works great in hockey because they only play around 20 minutes a game max. Its completely useless for Lebron since he plays the whole game. Its useless for anybody who plays probably more than 36 minutes in a particular game. I don't think the person who decided to use it in the NBA completely understands how it works.
DoItALL9
Starter
Posts: 2,149
And1: 386
Joined: Oct 08, 2016
       

Re: The Mother of all Stats... 

Post#10 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 pm

(Wins)
for most arguments it should be VORP probably

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Statistical Analysis