Arguments against Analytics

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Borut
Ballboy
And1: 0

Arguments against Analytics 

Post#1 » by Borut » Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 am

There are a lot of ex-players ranting their frustrations towards analytics, due to not being able to get front office jobs in NBA teams.

I will try to be make a more rational point against analytics. There is a concept called ambiguity aversion, where one is more willing to take risks in the presence of set probabilities. Could the numbers be just soothing to the brain. We know probabilities imply their uncertainty, furthermore they need to be updated all the time. Therefore, they might serve as illusions of knowledge of the game.
SNPA
Rookie
And1: 727

Re: Arguments against Analytics 

Post#2 » by SNPA » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:41 am

Borut wrote:There are a lot of ex-players ranting their frustrations towards analytics, due to not being able to get front office jobs in NBA teams.

I will try to be make a more rational point against analytics. There is a concept called ambiguity aversion, where one is more willing to take risks in the presence of set probabilities. Could the numbers be just soothing to the brain. We know probabilities imply their uncertainty, furthermore they need to be updated all the time. Therefore, they might serve as illusions of knowledge of the game.

The argument against analytics is that it is simply a translation from the complexities of reality into a qualitative and thus reduced form and has only the illusion of objectivity when it is in fact subjective when it comes to interpretation.

It doesn't do a good job of telling you why something happened.

I better watch out, I said something like this recently and got called a quack. Lol.
fianchetto
Sixth Man
And1: 2,559

Post#3 » by fianchetto » Sun Aug 9, 2020 2:42 am

There is not one rational argument against analytics in general. The presence of a field whose goal is to quantify and model the game can't hinder us in any way.

But arguments against the current state of analytics are easy to find:

- There's no way to verify what analytics are "good", whether or not they are mathematically correct and/or rigorous
- They can't adequately capture half of the game (defense) as well as many other important intangibles
- Player analytics do a poor job of sifting out the noise and focusing on the player's impact alone (what is impact anyway?)
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
SNPA
Rookie

Post#4 » by SNPA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:45 pm

fianchetto wrote:There is not one rational argument against analytics in general. The presence of a field whose goal is to quantify and model the game can't hinder us in any way.

But arguments against the current state of analytics are easy to find:

- There's no way to verify what analytics are "good", whether or not they are mathematically correct and/or rigorous
- They can't adequately capture half of the game (defense) as well as many other important intangibles
- Player analytics do a poor job of sifting out the noise and focusing on the player's impact alone (what is impact anyway?)

I agree. The mere presence of it is not a hindrance. The elevating of it to the "truth" or supremacy can be.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 4,528

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:04 pm

SNPA wrote:
I better watch out, I said something like this recently and got called a quack. Lol.

You know what we say, "If its size and general visual conformation, measured walking speed and style, and recorded vocal utterings are within 1 standard deviation of those of a duck, it's probably a duck."
Bradley Beal@RealDealBeal23
Because we can hoop!
SNPA
Rookie

Post#6 » by SNPA » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:35 am

penbeast0 wrote:
SNPA wrote:

You know what we say, "If its size and general visual conformation, measured walking speed and style, and recorded vocal utterings are within 1 standard deviation of those of a duck, it's probably a duck."

Lol. This quacks me up.

Return to Statistical Analysis