Tm_Possession or Pace; BBRef not matching

Moderator: Doctor MJ

molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,137

Tm_Possession or Pace; BBRef not matching 

Post#1 » by molepharmer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Given the min, FGM, FGA, TOV, etc stats for a particular team at BBRef, I can't come up with the same number they show for 'Pace' for that specific team. I've used their formula for Tm_Poss and tried all sorts gyrations to come up with their 'Pace' but no go.

Anybody ever try this and have success ?

fwiw - their formula for Tm_poss = 0.5 * ((Tm FGA + 0.4 * Tm FTA - 1.07 * (Tm ORB / (Tm ORB + Opp DRB)) * (Tm FGA - Tm FG) + Tm TOV) + (Opp FGA + 0.4 * Opp FTA - 1.07 * (Opp ORB / (Opp ORB + Tm DRB)) * (Opp FGA - Opp FG) + Opp TOV))

note - I realize different sites use slightly different formulas for calculating Tm_possession, resulting in slightly different 'Pace' numbers between sites. But I'm assuming BBRef to use the possession formula they quote for determining the Pace number they show.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
molepharmer
Head Coach

Re: Tm_Possession or Pace; BBRef not matching 

Post#2 » by molepharmer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:18 pm

UPDATE - For an individual game, I did get the numbers calculated by the formula to come out to those 'Pace' numbers shown in the game log. My original problem getting these numbers (i.e. calculated vs shown) to match was occurring with the yearly 'Summary' tables. I still can't get those to match but will now try taking the average of the individual games' Pace for a year and see if that equals what is shown in the table.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#3 » by SideshowBob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:51 pm

molepharmer wrote:Given the min, FGM, FGA, TOV, etc stats for a particular team at BBRef, I can't come up with the same number they show for 'Pace' for that specific team. I've used their formula for Tm_Poss and tried all sorts gyrations to come up with their 'Pace' but no go.

Anybody ever try this and have success ?

fwiw - their formula for Tm_poss = 0.5 * ((Tm FGA + 0.4 * Tm FTA - 1.07 * (Tm ORB / (Tm ORB + Opp DRB)) * (Tm FGA - Tm FG) + Tm TOV) + (Opp FGA + 0.4 * Opp FTA - 1.07 * (Opp ORB / (Opp ORB + Tm DRB)) * (Opp FGA - Opp FG) + Opp TOV))

note - I realize different sites use slightly different formulas for calculating Tm_possession, resulting in slightly different 'Pace' numbers between sites. But I'm assuming BBRef to use the possession formula they quote for determining the Pace number they show.

Pace from Summary page also includes team turnovers. Game logs use the formula you listed, but don't actually provide team TOs I believe.

That and the Summary page adjusts to possessions per 48 minutes, so teams with more OT games will show up as slower on that page than in game logs.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
molepharmer
Head Coach

Post#4 » by molepharmer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:59 pm

SideshowBob wrote:Pace from Summary page also includes team turnovers. Game logs use the formula you listed, but don't actually provide team TOs I believe.

That and the Summary page adjusts to possessions per 48 minutes, so teams with more OT games will show up as slower on that page than in game logs.

Thanks. I'll have to look more closely at 'team TO's' next time I do the calculations. I did run into the OT game snafu, but that's 'easily' accounted for and correctable when using the game logs.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,532

Post#5 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:59 am

I would love to but I don't know of a clean easy source for opp totals for a season. Nor game by game data that isn't expensive to buy in an easy to use format.

Return to Statistical Analysis