LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History

Moderator: Doctor MJ

HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#1 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:52 am

Congratulations to LeBron James for becoming the first player in NBA history to record 27,000 points,
7,000 rebounds and 7,000 assists in his regular-season career.

James climbed to 9th on the all-time regular-season scoring list last night against the Heat. He
overtook Elvin Hayes in that position.

Image
LivingLegend
Head Coach
Posts: 6,090
And1: 6,928
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#2 » by LivingLegend » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:56 am

Fitting..LeBron becomes the first player to get thousands of 'LeBrons'
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 40,612
And1: 13,714
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:02 am

we all know lebron is all-time great, top 10 ever....

but these completely arbitrary benchmarks always make me scratch my head...

I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his acomplishments less then lebron?

and why is 7000 rebounds or 7000 assists a benchmark? why not 5000? why not 10,000?
LivingLegend
Head Coach
Posts: 6,090
And1: 6,928
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#4 » by LivingLegend » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:05 am

Prokorov wrote:we all know lebron is all-time great, top 10 ever....

but these completely arbitrary benchmarks always make me scratch my head...

I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his acomplishments less then lebron?

and why is 7000 rebounds or 7000 assists a benchmark? why not 5000? why not 10,000?


Your overthinking it.

It simply means there has been nobody in NBA history with LeBrons skillset to score, pass and rebound at such a high rate.

Some players are great scorers and rebounders, some are great scorers and passers but there has been nobody to be that complete of a package in terms of scoring, passing and rebounding together on a nightly basis.

LeBrons career stateline= 27/7/7. So it makes sense he is the only person in NBA history to have 27k points, 7k rebounds and 7k assists
Dame Lizard
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,016
And1: 1,704
Joined: Dec 03, 2012
 

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#5 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:06 am

Prokorov wrote:we all know lebron is all-time great, top 10 ever....

but these completely arbitrary benchmarks always make me scratch my head...

I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his acomplishments less then lebron?

and why is 7000 rebounds or 7000 assists a benchmark? why not 5000? why not 10,000?


It's only a benchmark to see who else has had "a lot of points + a lot of rebounds + a lot of assists".
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#6 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:08 am

Prokorov wrote:we all know lebron is all-time great, top 10 ever....

but these completely arbitrary benchmarks always make me scratch my head...

I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his acomplishments less then lebron?

and why is 7000 rebounds or 7000 assists a benchmark? why not 5000? why not 10,000?



I personally found these marks meaningful because of how close Oscar Robertson was to them in his own career stats. Oscar being something of a forerunner of LeBron.

Oscar
26,710 pts
07,804 reb
09,887 ast


LeBron has, at this point, accomplished close to what Oscar did in his career. Of course, Oscar did rack up about 3,000 more assists.

It's just an amazing accomplishment for anyone.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 40,612
And1: 13,714
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Prokorov wrote:we all know lebron is all-time great, top 10 ever....

but these completely arbitrary benchmarks always make me scratch my head...

I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his acomplishments less then lebron?

and why is 7000 rebounds or 7000 assists a benchmark? why not 5000? why not 10,000?


Your overthinking it.

It simply means there has been nobody in NBA history with LeBrons skillset to score, pass and rebound at such a high rate.



but that the thing... that isnt true.. or at least those stats dont prove it.... it is just completely arbitrary benchmarks.

If you make the benchmarks 30,00 points/10,000 rebounds/5000 assists then lebron isnt part of the group and kareem is the only guy to do it.

if you make the benchmark 25,000/10,000/5,000 then Garnett makes the list but lebron doesnt.

if you make the benchmark 26,000/7,000/9,000 then Oscar robertson makes it but lebron doesnt
LivingLegend
Head Coach
Posts: 6,090
And1: 6,928
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#8 » by LivingLegend » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:17 am

Prokorov wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Prokorov wrote:we all know lebron is all-time great, top 10 ever....

but these completely arbitrary benchmarks always make me scratch my head...

I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his acomplishments less then lebron?

and why is 7000 rebounds or 7000 assists a benchmark? why not 5000? why not 10,000?


Your overthinking it.

It simply means there has been nobody in NBA history with LeBrons skillset to score, pass and rebound at such a high rate.



but that the thing... that isnt true.. or at least those stats dont prove it.... it is just completely arbitrary benchmarks.

If you make the benchmarks 30,00 points/10,000 rebounds/5000 assists then lebron isnt part of the group and kareem is the only guy to do it.

if you make the benchmark 25,000/10,000/5,000 then Garnett makes the list but lebron doesnt.

if you make the benchmark 26,000/7,000/9,000 then Oscar robertson makes it but lebron doesnt


Its just a cool stat bro...I dont think it was intended to cause a world war of debates about statistical analysis
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#9 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:18 am

The easiest way to conceive of this mark by LeBron is to realize that no one higher up on the scoring list has more career assists than LeBron does. That's probably what's most significant about this particular data point.

They also just said on the Cavs TV broadcast that LeBron has more career assists than any other front court player in NBA history.
User avatar
jackwindham
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,685
And1: 732
Joined: Sep 14, 2009

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#10 » by jackwindham » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:18 am

Westbrook and Harden have a chance to join this club some day, no?
Buckeye-NBAFan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,134
And1: 3,319
Joined: Jun 25, 2004

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#11 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:21 am

Prokorov wrote:if you make the benchmark 26,000/7,000/9,000 then Oscar robertson makes it but lebron doesnt


That's true, but if you make the benchmark 27,000/7,000/7,000 then LeBron makes it but Oscar Robertson doesn't.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
Posts: 6,090
And1: 6,928
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#12 » by LivingLegend » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:24 am

I just looked at his career totals...

He also has a chance to finish his career with 2,000 steals and 1,000 blocks. Woah.
Patches Perry
General Manager
Posts: 9,771
And1: 12,882
Joined: May 11, 2016
 

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#13 » by Patches Perry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:25 am

These stats do wreak of just playing with data filters in Excel and filtering down stats until LeBron is all that is left.

Still, LeBron is at the point in his career where passing historically great players on all-time lists will be a regular thing. I'm not going to hate on what he has accomplished.
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#14 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:40 am

LivingLegend wrote:Its just a cool stat bro...I dont think it was intended to cause a world war of debates about statistical analysis


That is correct.

I liked this stat set because of Oscar, as I mentioned, and I also liked it because of the balance in the 7K/7K.

There is no conspiracy here; LeBron just reached 7,000 career assists tonight and I thought this would be a cool set of stats to present. There is no Excel-distilling or anything else going on. I'm a stats-driven guy. I like stats and this set of data was good.

Also, LeBron is the only one to achieve this in NBA history. It's unique. Garnett doing 25K/10K/5K isn't unique; Kareem also did it. So that doesn't garner much attention.

Kareem is the king of stats. I am always happy to talk about his stats.
Patches Perry
General Manager
Posts: 9,771
And1: 12,882
Joined: May 11, 2016
 

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#15 » by Patches Perry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:48 am

HotRocks34 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Its just a cool stat bro...I dont think it was intended to cause a world war of debates about statistical analysis


That is correct.

I liked this stat set because of Oscar, as I mentioned, and I also liked it because of the balance in the 7K/7K.

There is no conspiracy here; LeBron just reached 7,000 career assists tonight and I thought this would be a cool set of stats to present. There is no Excel-distilling or anything else going on. I'm a stats-driven guy. I like stats and this set of data was good.

Also, LeBron is the only one to achieve this in NBA history. It's unique. Garnett doing 25K/10K/5K isn't unique; Kareem also did it. So that doesn't garner much attention.

Kareem is the king of stats. I am always happy to talk about his stats.


I don't downplay what LeBron has done. 7K assists is big-time. I imagine there aren't any non-PGs ahead of him either.

I just understand the frustration with the every-other-night stat cherry-picking. They do it every broadcast, sometimes with pretty pedestrian players. I mean, last year they were consistently grouping DeAndre Jordan with Wilt Chamberlain with those "filter" stats.
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#16 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:48 am

Prokorov wrote:I mean KAreem is in the 38,000/17,000/5,000 club... but not in the 27k/7k/7k club... so does that make his accomplishments less then lebron?


No, what it means is that Kareem did not reach 7,000 assists in his career, and LeBron did. Hence this thread and not a 27K/7K/7K thread for Kareem.

Additionally, LeBron hit this accomplishment tonight. Which is when I made this thread. Had I made a thread in the 1980's, I may have made such a thread on Kareem, albeit with a different set of data.

This isn't a philosophical treatise; it's a data set. LeBron accomplished a unique statistical feat, he did so tonight, and I made a thread about it on the same night the feat was accomplished.

That's it. Let's not try to make it more than that.
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#17 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:51 am

Patches Perry wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Its just a cool stat bro...I dont think it was intended to cause a world war of debates about statistical analysis


That is correct.

I liked this stat set because of Oscar, as I mentioned, and I also liked it because of the balance in the 7K/7K.

There is no conspiracy here; LeBron just reached 7,000 career assists tonight and I thought this would be a cool set of stats to present. There is no Excel-distilling or anything else going on. I'm a stats-driven guy. I like stats and this set of data was good.

Also, LeBron is the only one to achieve this in NBA history. It's unique. Garnett doing 25K/10K/5K isn't unique; Kareem also did it. So that doesn't garner much attention.

Kareem is the king of stats. I am always happy to talk about his stats.


I don't downplay what LeBron has done. 7K assists is big-time. I imagine there aren't any non-PGs ahead of him either.

I just understand the frustration with the every-other-night stat cherry-picking. They do it every broadcast, sometimes with pretty pedestrian players. I mean, last year they were consistently grouping DeAndre Jordan with Wilt Chamberlain with those "filter" stats.



The thread was made because a unique feat in NBA history was accomplished tonight, arbitrary parameters or not. I made a thread about it -- tonight -- because it just happened tonight. This isn't 1988 or thereabouts when Kareem was getting to some of his statistical accomplishments.

As I said above, I would not make a 25K/10K/5K thread about Garnett because it's not a unique data set. LeBron's feat is unique.

Whether you downplay it or not doesn't matter. The thread was made because something unique happened and it happened tonight. That's it.
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,223
And1: 2,482
Joined: Nov 13, 2010
   

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#18 » by Run DLC » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 am

jackwindham wrote:Westbrook and Harden have a chance to join this club some day, no?



I highly doubt it.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 40,612
And1: 13,714
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:20 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
The thread was made because a unique feat in NBA history was accomplished tonight, arbitrary parameters or not. I made a thread about it -- tonight -- because it just happened tonight. This isn't 1988 or thereabouts when Kareem was getting to some of his statistical accomplishments.

As I said above, I would not make a 25K/10K/5K thread about Garnett because it's not a unique data set. LeBron's feat is unique.

Whether you downplay it or not doesn't matter. The thread was made because something unique happened and it happened tonight. That's it.



But thats the thing... nothing unique happened.

before tonite lebron was ALREADY the only guy with 27k/7k/6k. nothing changed.

should we make a thread in 2 years when he is the only 28k/8k/8k guy?
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 12,369
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: LeBron James Has Become The First 27,000/7,000/7,000 Player In NBA History 

Post#20 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Prokorov wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
The thread was made because a unique feat in NBA history was accomplished tonight, arbitrary parameters or not. I made a thread about it -- tonight -- because it just happened tonight. This isn't 1988 or thereabouts when Kareem was getting to some of his statistical accomplishments.

As I said above, I would not make a 25K/10K/5K thread about Garnett because it's not a unique data set. LeBron's feat is unique.

Whether you downplay it or not doesn't matter. The thread was made because something unique happened and it happened tonight. That's it.



But thats the thing... nothing unique happened.

before tonite lebron was ALREADY the only guy with 27k/7k/6k. nothing changed.

should we make a thread in 2 years when he is the only 28k/8k/8k guy?



Is that ok with you or will that not pass your personal filter? This is a basketball board and we make threads and discuss things that take place. Something unique DID happen last night -- a player in the NBA became the first player in the history of the league to accrue 27,000/7,000/7,000. As in, no one had ever tallied that set of statistics before last night. Such a player has never existed until last night.

Here are a few of the outlets who covered the non-event last night:

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/12/10/lebron-james-sets-another-milestone
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-james-becomes-first-player-to-pass-27000-points-7000-rebounds-and-7000-assists/
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/lebron-james-nba-milestone-7000-assists-27000-points/12du099afvrmk1kea128rttg84
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/12/lebron_james_iman_shumpert_cav.html#incart_2box

So, RealGM was not the only place talking about what took place last night. Something happened that had never happened in the history of the league last night, and people discussed it. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing that has to be analyzed or parsed 100 different times or ways.

Maybe that doesn't make sense to you, but it makes sense to me. And to the people who wrote the stories above.

No one talked about how this made Kareem look, or why 7,000 assists were used and not 5,000. No one mentioned Garnett or Robertson. At least to the best of my knowledge, but I could be wrong about those players seemingly not being part of the discussion.

It was pointed out what LeBron had done, and the NBA congratulated him for achieving it. Much as I did.

There's nothing more to it and nothing more to delve into, I don't think.

I think it's best if we're not obtuse about what took place last night.

Return to Statistical Analysis