Need your help: compiling data to predict a draftee's career VORP

Moderator: Doctor MJ

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,406

Need your help: compiling data to predict a draftee's career VORP 

Post#1 » by ForeverTFC » Wed May 31, 2017 4:50 am

Hi all,

Working on a project to see if there is a way to predict a drafted player's VORP based on a few factors, namely: Past success, potential, and situation.

Past success: College WS/48, College PER
Potential: Height differential (set against position average), Wingspan differential (set against position average), Age
Situation: College program ranking, NBA Position (G, F, C), draft position

Essentially, I want to see how each of these correlate with a player's career VORP and to what extent. Right now, I'm having a hard time getting all the data together. I can find the majority on BBreference, SportsReference, and DraftExpress, but getting all the data is proving to be a pain. For example, I'd love to pull career VORP, draft position, position, college, age at draft from BB reference, but I can't find a way to get all the data in the same table to export. Any ideas on how I would go about doing this outside looking for every single data point?

Thanks!
blabla
Sophomore
And1: 76

Re: Need your help: compiling data to predict a draftee's career VORP 

Post#2 » by blabla » Wed May 31, 2017 7:42 am

Probably best to use Python and BeautifulSoup if you can learn how to code (Python's the easiest language to learn)
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Re: Need your help: compiling data to predict a draftee's career VORP 

Post#3 » by aaron_gray » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:43 pm

On a similar note, the player season finder on sports-reference cbb doesn't seem to work for advanced stats that can go negative. Whenever I want to include players with negative values, it just resets the search page. Anyone have a solution?
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.

Return to Statistical Analysis