NBA Advanced Stats Visualisation

Moderator: Doctor MJ

lavy91
Ballboy
And1: 7

NBA Advanced Stats Visualisation 

Post#1 » by lavy91 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a bachelors degree in statistics and I made this WebApp as a project for my data visualisation class.
I hope you guys would find some of the visualizations helpful.

There are 4 visualizations in there:
1. Passing Star- A star/radar plot to compare different players' passing skills.
2. Shooting Scatterplot - An interactive multi-dimensional scatterplot to compare players shooting ability in various situations.
3. Correlation Matrix- A matrix to see correlations between different metrics (probably not so useful but maybe cool nonetheless).
4. Position Comparisons- A Box-violin plot to compare players' per-game stats by positions.

LINK: https://lavyfriedman.shinyapps.io/nbaproject/

Here is an example of a visualization of Kyrie vs. Isaiah (specifically on passing and shooting ability)

Hope you guys mess around with it and enjoy, and of course I would love some input if you have any. :)
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Re: NBA Advanced Stats Visualisation 

Post#2 » by cpower » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Is there a option to compare the stats in per usage basis? Sometimes I'd like to compare players assuming their usg% and poss% are similar, because players like Westbrook would simply overpower any comparisons because of his insane production because of usg% .

By the way, really nice site though. Keep up the great work!
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#3 » by jambalaya » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Is there a table for the stats correlation matrix? Me, I'd rather have the table but both ways can be a good route to take.

Position comparison tool looks worth tinkering with later. Bookmarked. Would be awesome if your database could quickly handle defining "player types" by stats or demographics and then comparing the clusters of those criteria, in addition to conventional position designations.
BeibsInTheTrap
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#4 » by BeibsInTheTrap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 am

where are you getting your data

second specrum has some short comings as far as player tracking data

Return to Statistical Analysis