Metrics for gauging the Free Agency Market?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Breeze_56
Ballboy
And1: 3

Metrics for gauging the Free Agency Market? 

Post#1 » by Breeze_56 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 am

Got into a conversation about a certain RFA in which we disagreed about said player's fate: I said, 'there's no way his current team will sign him in RFA,' but fellow disagreed saying 'market was very tight and it was unlikely that anyone would come over the top with an offer sheet, therefore player is most likely to remain with his team.'

This is sort of interdisciplinary between CBA and statistical and trade, but bear with me: do you know of anyone who does analysis of the free agency & restricted free agency market? I was thinking of a few ways to crunch these numbers to further my argument: I could first sum all available cap space, then compare that to all free agents say by adding the WS or all FA/RFA, putting a $ value per win share, and then finding where the sum dollar value for all win shares for all agents compares to a hypothetical available dollar amount.

(This would be problematic for a few reasons that I can think of.)

I've also considered mapping out the total number of RFA/FAs and perhaps comparing it by year to find out if we truly are in a dry year moneywise (that is a lot RFAs from the 2014 draft class without extensions as compared to years past).

IDK. If anyone knows anyone who performs these sorts of analyses I'd appreciate the tip. I lurk on the CBA sub and I know the stuff that Smitty does with his beautiful spreads, but I don't know if he has anything like what I'm after, or if it would even be useful in the first place.

Return to Statistical Analysis