Free-throws per game in different eras

Moderator: Doctor MJ

z_from_kc
Rookie
And1: 72

Free-throws per game in different eras 

Post#1 » by z_from_kc » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:04 am

Sorry to take up space with this guys, but its bugging me and this is where I figure I would get the best info. I'm having a lot of arguments with casuals at work lately ( I know, mistake#1), but there's a couple guys who constantly grip about how you can't play defense now, there's too many fouls and flopping and the NBA is just a free-throw shooting contest. On the matter of free-throws, I always come back with a "your being too dramatic, sure there are more ways to foul a guy now, but there's no significant spike in free-throw attempts going on overall." type of line. But my question is, are there more free-throws being taken on a per game basis overall? I can't find specific stats on this, but my gut tells me I'm right. Guys like Harden and Westbrook are giving hopeless casuals a skewed view on the NBA in this regard.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Re: Free-throws per game in different eras 

Post#2 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:18 pm

z_from_kc wrote:But my question is, are there more free-throws being taken on a per game basis overall? I can't find specific stats on this, but my gut tells me I'm right. Guys like Harden and Westbrook are giving hopeless casuals a skewed view on the NBA in this regard.

Its mostly guys like Harden and a few others skewering people's perception of how many fouls are called now. ftapg per team are still lower now than they were every year prior to 2012 in the nba and only about 60% of what they were back in the 60's.
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#3 » by frica » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:54 pm

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html

There has never been as few FT/FGA as the last 3 years.

FTA/G is also near an all-time low.

"Harden"
Adrien Dantley was a worse offender than James.
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#4 » by mysticOscar » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:56 pm

There are definitely less ft per game now. It's because 40%+ shots are taken from 3s and scoring a lot less from the post.

Prior eras was predominantly was from the post which has a much higher free throw rate....

But free throw rate are now higher for perimeter players than prior, especially who likes to spam drives....don't need a post game to get high ftr anymore

Return to Statistical Analysis