Top 10 most overrated players of all time most legit list ever,

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Zwilliams
Ballboy
And1: 21

Top 10 most overrated players of all time most legit list ever, 

Post#1 » by Zwilliams » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:13 pm

overrated doesn’t mean they sucked or they were even bad players but still people seem to ignore these players flaws. I’m warning you right now this is the most controversial list ever.

#10. Yao Ming. I don’t understand for the life of me how this guy is in the hall of fame. Yes he was a great player but what did he do that made him a hall of famer? The guy was an 8 time all star yeah okay but that’s about where it ends, he only got in the hall of fame because of his height and the fact that they wanted a guy from China to be in the hall of fame. 19 ppg for his career I mean come on? Not to mention the guy was like a Chinese version of Blake griffin constantly injured.

#9. Vince carter. Vince carter had some amazing dunks and that’s why people talk about him. But to be real here the guy never truly reached his potential, he was lazy, had an additude problem, played no defense, People love Vince carter for his flashy dunks but that’s it. The guy just never did much of Anything else. His career averages are only 17.2 ppg.

#8. Steve Nash. Nash was a great offensive player but on defense he was one of the worst players in league history. Also part of Nash’s success has to be attributed to that fast paced system in Phoenix. And let’s not even get into the mvp talk because I can go really deep as to why the league truly gave him those mvps and no it’s not because of Kobe either. Nash only averaged 14.3 ppg for his career, he was a great passer but come on when you have stoudamire on your team it’s not hard to rack up 14 or 15 assists a night.

#7. Derrick rose. What’s this infatuation with rose? Yes rose was great when he was healthy but that was one season. People always say well if rose never got hurt he would have won multiple titles come on now, this is the same guy that got locked down by lebron James in the 2011 eastern conference finals. People were aww at rose because of his athleticism, look at his mvp season he only shot 45% fg, averaged 25 ppg ehh? That’s okay but compared to other mvp seasons? Come on.

#6. Tracy mccgrady. Can we stop praising mccgrady? Again how is he in the hall of fame? Same as Yao, his best seasons were his seasons with Orlando when he was putting up video game numbers and empty stats Because no one else on his team had the ability to score. Mccgrady always choked and never got out of the first round, was always injury prone. The guy just doesn’t deserve to be a hall of famer.

#5. Paul pierce. Paul pierce is a guy who was a good player but never anything special. Pierce even choked in big moments with Boston when they had kg and ray Allen, but luckily his teammates were there to carry the slack. Pierce couldn’t carry a team by himself that’s why he had to merge with 2 other hall of famers. Pierce only averaged 26 ppg twice in his career, he was never even close or even in consideration for being an mvp candidate.

#4. Tim Duncan. Oh man this is gonna fire some people up. Look Duncan was a great player don’t get me wrong but how much great would he have been without those 5 rings? He only averaged 19 ppg for his career, And people always say well Duncan would have averaged more but the spurs system yeah yeah yeah whatever, You look at his finals competition,

1999. 8th seeded Knicks.

2003. Nets that came out of the east by default due to how bad the east was. The nets were no threat what so ever.

2005. Pistons. Gave them a fight okay I’ll give them that.

2007. A horrible cavs team.

2014. A heat team with a washed up Dwayne Wade and lebron had to try to carry them.

Bottom line is without those 5 rings Duncan’s legacy would be different.

#4. Wes Unseld. 10.8 ppg yet he’s a hall of famer? Come on man. And don’t even give me the rebound argument I mean yeah it was easy to get rebounds back then jumping over short white factory workers.

#3. Karl Malone. Malone had no moves what so ever except for a couple. He was a one trick Pony and his success benefited from playing in the Utah system.

#2. Kobe Bryant. Kobe Bryant without his 5 rings would not even be a top 50 player. Kobe Bryant rode Shaquille o Neal’s coattails to 3 championships, then he whined and complained years later due to not having anymore big men to carry him. He got another big man in Gasol and rode him to 2 more titles. Bryant fans love to bring up his scoring in the mid 2000s and his scoring streaks, yeah it’s easy to put up those types of numbers when your the only legit scorer on a terrible team with kwame brown and Smush Parker, also how can you be a top 10 player when your the all time leader in missed shots? Unbelievable... Bryant is just a Fraud.

#1. Michael Jordan. Of course... Michael jordan Michael Jordan was a guy who feasted on weak competition the nba in the 90s it was very bad very very very bad. The defenses weren’t good at all, most of the teams were expansion teams or teams that weren’t that impressive. Michael Jordan feasted on weak competition he never had to face teams like my 73-9 warriors, or the Mavericks of 2011. Or the spurs in the 2000s. Michael Jordan is the apitimy of overrated. I can say more about Jordan but I won’t go on.

Honorable mentions, Hakeem Olajuwon, lebron James, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, dirk nowitzki,
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: Top 10 most overrated players of all time most legit list ever, 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:21 am

In a statistical analysis forum, the opinion should probably be back up with more than an quick glance at ESPN player averages. Ending the the thread title with a comma should have been my first clue.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#3 » by yellowknifer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 am

LOL.

yeah. If only.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#4 » by yellowknifer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 am

This has gotta be a troll post. I laughed at least.
RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Post#5 » by RalphSampsonJr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am

How was it poor competition when a 6'6 SG scored 30+ PPG against the best center era in NBA history. All while taking f*ck all 3pters?

This 90s had poor competition is crazy to me.
Some smartguy
Junior
And1: 213

Post#6 » by Some smartguy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:46 pm

1. This gotta be a troll, Jordan leads all-time in almost every single advanced stat even including Wiz years. The 90s are one of the best eras, Jordan played other superteams routinely in a stronger Eastern Conference(Ewing's Knicks, Thomas Pistons, Miller's Pacers, and then out west there was the Robinson Spurs, Hakeem's Rockets, Clyde's Blazers, Payton-Kemp Sonics and Stockton-Malone Jazz)2. Kobe was one of the most dominant scorers ever and could score at will. 3. If Malone wasn't dominant and only had a few moves, then how is he the 2nd all-time scorer? Wouldn't they have figured out how to guard a few moves of a bad player? 4(Wes). Fair, but he's only in the HOF because of the low quality of the players. 4(Duncan). I actually agree with this, Tim Duncan is a bit overrated. He definitely shouldn't be top 10 for some people, or even top 20. He was a product of an amazing team with Ginobili, Parker and co. He was known for post play, but a very awkward and uncomfortable player in the post. 5. Meh, Paul Pierce was basically Joe Johnson with some rings, a better team and more hype. 6. He had a prime season or two to almost match Kobe, he might not deserve HOF, but injury-free, no question. 7. Same as T-Mac, but he was the youngest MVP ever. 8. Stoudemire was a slightly above average player before Nash, look at their records before and after. Nash should never have won an MVP, but still an amazing player and deserves HOF. 9. Vince isn't really overrated, he isn't known as a superstar, he's just loved for longevity and a few really good years. 10. Yao scored and rebounded at a very high level. His injuries have always been overblown, 19ppg for an injury-plagued career at 7'6" is impressive. He should have had a harder time getting into the HOF, but at the end of the day, he deserved it.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#7 » by feyki » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 am

Paul Pierce made me laugh. Where's Lebron? Dude called top 5 GOAT by just ten years, even pre-2009 years were not ATG.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 535

Post#8 » by BmanInBigD » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:04 pm

Some of these are "meh" but I actually agree with Tim Duncan. Garnett, Duncan, and Dirk were battling it out throughout the 2000's for both All-NBA teams and playoff success. Sure, Duncan has the most rings (by far), but a lot of the Spurs' success was due to the whole team and GOAT-level coach. I have Duncan ahead of both KG and Dirk, but it's not some huge chasm. Duncan's legacy just seems to grow year-by-year; at the time he was playing, he didn't rank nearly so high. I don't really get it. :crazy:
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
halifax
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#9 » by halifax » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:58 pm

Vince Carter led the league in all star votes for 4 years. popularized the dunk contest. even kevin durant says his favorite player growing up was vince carter. his career numbers aren't that impressive because he played until he was 43 years old. for his first 10 years his averages was comparable to kobe, mcgrady. the most recognized name in basketball has to be in the hall of fame.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#10 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:08 pm

So guys are on this list because either:
-- Their PPG weren't that high?
-- Their PPG were high but empty?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#11 » by Jack Dempsey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:27 pm

BmanInBigD wrote:Some of these are "meh" but I actually agree with Tim Duncan. Garnett, Duncan, and Dirk were battling it out throughout the 2000's for both All-NBA teams and playoff success. Sure, Duncan has the most rings (by far), but a lot of the Spurs' success was due to the whole team and GOAT-level coach. I have Duncan ahead of both KG and Dirk, but it's not some huge chasm. Duncan's legacy just seems to grow year-by-year; at the time he was playing, he didn't rank nearly so high. I don't really get it. :crazy:

The media brainwashing has a lot to do with it. They always wanna sell the current most marketable Superstar as a GOAT candidate. The Spurs were considered a boring team with a Superstar like Tim Duncan who has never put up amazing numbers to the box scores and you just can't sell that. Kobe for example was seen as a sure fire Top 10, maybe even Top 5 player of all time by the majority because of the media sold him as that as he was very marketable. But once the hype was over, he got to the place where he really belongs - in the Top 11-15 range. Same with LeBron. Many claim he's a Top 2 player of all time but once the hype is gone, he's going to drop a little bit on the list. I guess with Duncan it was the other way around. There was never great hype around him (compared to other Superstars) so he often got a little bit overlooked. But once he retired Fans realized how great he really was. That would be my explanation.

Same with other Sports. They are selling Messi, Ronaldo and even Neymar (lol) as GOAT candidates just to make profit out of them. But there was a video on youtube where a 50yo overweight Diego Maradona dwarfed a prime Messi in an exhibition game. I know it was just an exhibition game but still you could easily see the enormous difference in talent between the two of them.
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#12 » by Maf » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:07 pm

Ok you know there is difference between controversial and plain dumb, right?
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
ReddoverKobe
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,888

Post#13 » by ReddoverKobe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:51 pm

Jordan is the most overrated player of all time and he is probably the best player of all time. Which is crazy to think of. People react to him like how the kids in sandlot react to babe ruth.
jwaight83
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#14 » by jwaight83 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:19 pm

Are you 13? This reads like a 13 year old school project. haha. If not, i'm just gonna sit here and laugh at you for a few minutes...don't mind me.

#10. Yao Ming. I don’t understand for the life of me how this guy is in the hall of fame. Yes he was a great player but what did he do that made him a hall of famer? The guy was an 8 time all star yeah okay but that’s about where it ends, he only got in the hall of fame because of his height and the fact that they wanted a guy from China to be in the hall of fame. 19 ppg for his career I mean come on? Not to mention the guy was like a Chinese version of Blake griffin constantly injured.

#9. Vince carter. Vince carter had some amazing dunks and that’s why people talk about him. But to be real here the guy never truly reached his potential, he was lazy, had an additude problem, played no defense, People love Vince carter for his flashy dunks but that’s it. The guy just never did much of Anything else. His career averages are only 17.2 ppg.

#8. Steve Nash. Nash was a great offensive player but on defense he was one of the worst players in league history. Also part of Nash’s success has to be attributed to that fast paced system in Phoenix. And let’s not even get into the mvp talk because I can go really deep as to why the league truly gave him those mvps and no it’s not because of Kobe either. Nash only averaged 14.3 ppg for his career, he was a great passer but come on when you have stoudamire on your team it’s not hard to rack up 14 or 15 assists a night.

#7. Derrick rose. What’s this infatuation with rose? Yes rose was great when he was healthy but that was one season. People always say well if rose never got hurt he would have won multiple titles come on now, this is the same guy that got locked down by lebron James in the 2011 eastern conference finals. People were aww at rose because of his athleticism, look at his mvp season he only shot 45% fg, averaged 25 ppg ehh? That’s okay but compared to other mvp seasons? Come on.

#6. Tracy mccgrady. Can we stop praising mccgrady? Again how is he in the hall of fame? Same as Yao, his best seasons were his seasons with Orlando when he was putting up video game numbers and empty stats Because no one else on his team had the ability to score. Mccgrady always choked and never got out of the first round, was always injury prone. The guy just doesn’t deserve to be a hall of famer.

#5. Paul pierce. Paul pierce is a guy who was a good player but never anything special. Pierce even choked in big moments with Boston when they had kg and ray Allen, but luckily his teammates were there to carry the slack. Pierce couldn’t carry a team by himself that’s why he had to merge with 2 other hall of famers. Pierce only averaged 26 ppg twice in his career, he was never even close or even in consideration for being an mvp candidate.

#4. Tim Duncan. Oh man this is gonna fire some people up. Look Duncan was a great player don’t get me wrong but how much great would he have been without those 5 rings? He only averaged 19 ppg for his career, And people always say well Duncan would have averaged more but the spurs system yeah yeah yeah whatever, You look at his finals competition,

1999. 8th seeded Knicks.

2003. Nets that came out of the east by default due to how bad the east was. The nets were no threat what so ever.

2005. Pistons. Gave them a fight okay I’ll give them that.

2007. A horrible cavs team.

2014. A heat team with a washed up Dwayne Wade and lebron had to try to carry them.

#4. Wes Unseld. 10.8 ppg yet he’s a hall of famer? Come on man. And don’t even give me the rebound argument I mean yeah it was easy to get rebounds back then jumping over short white factory workers.

#3. Karl Malone. Malone had no moves what so ever except for a couple. He was a one trick Pony and his success benefited from playing in the Utah system.

#2. Kobe Bryant. Kobe Bryant without his 5 rings would not even be a top 50 player. Kobe Bryant rode Shaquille o Neal’s coattails to 3 championships, then he whined and complained years later due to not having anymore big men to carry him. He got another big man in Gasol and rode him to 2 more titles. Bryant fans love to bring up his scoring in the mid 2000s and his scoring streaks, yeah it’s easy to put up those types of numbers when your the only legit scorer on a terrible team with kwame brown and Smush Parker, also how can you be a top 10 player when your the all time leader in missed shots? Unbelievable... Bryant is just a Fraud.

#1. Michael Jordan. Of course... Michael jordan Michael Jordan was a guy who feasted on weak competition the nba in the 90s it was very bad very very very bad. The defenses weren’t good at all, most of the teams were expansion teams or teams that weren’t that impressive. Michael Jordan feasted on weak competition he never had to face teams like my 73-9 warriors, or the Mavericks of 2011. Or the spurs in the 2000s. Michael Jordan is the apitimy of overrated. I can say more about Jordan but I won’t go on.

Honorable mentions, Hakeem Olajuwon, lebron James, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, dirk nowitzki,[/quote]
5paceman
Pro Prospect
And1: 486

Post#15 » by 5paceman » Wed Mar 3, 2021 8:59 am

Zwilliams wrote:...

What does this mean? He was bad at math?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#16 » by penbeast0 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:15 pm

And, as long as we are piling on the OP, anyone using the "it was easy to get rebounds back then jumping over short white factory workers" for a player who played basically in the 70s has no clue about the sport back then. (a) Most centers in the NBA were black and there were LESS short white ones than today (in this modern era of Euros and stretch bigs) though also less supergiants, and (b) After his first 2 or 3 years, Wes Unseld never jumped over anyone in his life. He was a massive widebody who used strength and positioning to get his rebounds, not leaping ability. He may be overrated; he wasn't a rim protector or a scorer, but this statement is just dumb.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#17 » by LiSTWithLani » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 pm

The OPs hot takes are offensive.
People value age and athleticism and convert that into a skill graph to spit out their potential. Young guys like Rose have no business being on this list. Injuries riddled his career and he was the youngest MVP ever.
Yao Ming has a similar story, but was a mountain of a man. What made him special was his nimble feet and impressive passing from the post. He would have been eaten alive in today's NBA, but he could anchor a defense and hit a 20' shot/ FT.
Steve Nash was the thing that made Amar'e anything more than DeAndre Jordan or John Collins.
Vince Carter is rated appropriately, but that doesn't mean that people can't love what he did provide, which was exceptional highlight reel plays.
Paul Pierce is thought of as a generational player, he wasn't ever top 10 in my opinion and his defense was pretty suspect.
McGrady I think is valued just right. He had PG skills, was the best scorer with a deadly outside shot and used his athleticism and put in effort on defense. In Today's NBA, he would be similar to a Paul George mixed with Kevin Durant. Definitely a victim of the injury bug as well.
The argument against Karl Malone is nonsense. He did a handful of things well. All-time well. I say that confidently, because he wasn't stopped. He's #2 all-time scorer. People praise Kareem for a sky hook, but hate the Mailman for a baseline fadeaway?
Kobe brought a mentality to the game and played defense while dedicating his career to several of the best ever by emulating their moves. He hated Shaq, because Shaq didn't practice/improve/try.
MJ is the best ever, in nearly every statistical category. He could change a game without scoring and yet he was one of the best scorers ever. He also had some of that Vince Carter wow that popularized the sport for future decades. He also had Kobe's mentality of being a killer.

This list is BAD!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Statistical Analysis