Does anybody here use Python or R for basketball analytics?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

What programming language do you use for basketball analytics? You may select more than one

Python
75%
R
17%
Something else (specify in comments)
8%

Total votes: 12

SunDevil
Ballboy
And1: 11

Does anybody here use Python or R for basketball analytics? 

Post#1 » by SunDevil » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:52 am

I recently changed my major to Data Science at Arizona State and I am very interested in applying what I'm learning to NBA basketball and NCAA basketball. I was wondering if anybody here is proficient in Python or R and uses that knowledge for basketball analytics. Those are the 2 languages that I will be learning the most but I'm also interested in hearing about the use of other languages if you use something else for data analysis. We will also be using Tableau for visualization but I haven't gotten to those classes yet.
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,616

Re: Does anybody here use Python or R for basketball analytics? 

Post#2 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:07 pm

I am in a data science master's program. When I started it was R focused curriculum but last couple years the focus has shifted according to market demand which is generally python and now my classes have reflected this preference. Python/Jupyter etc. However, R is still useful in its own right and I make it a point to still be in practice. That said, the amount of analytical and dataviz python libraries out there and the improved performance and ubiquity over R makes Python a lot more attractive to companies who don't already have an established analytics program.

How far into your program? I am looking to create an nba analytics web app sort of as a project for fun and see if it grows into something useful.
SunDevil
Ballboy

Post#3 » by SunDevil » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:57 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:I am in a data science master's program. When I started it was R focused curriculum but last couple years the focus has shifted according to market demand which is generally python and now my classes have reflected this preference. Python/Jupyter etc. However, R is still useful in its own right and I make it a point to still be in practice. That said, the amount of analytical and dataviz python libraries out there and the improved performance and ubiquity over R makes Python a lot more attractive to companies who don't already have an established analytics program.

How far into your program? I am looking to create an nba analytics web app sort of as a project for fun and see if it grows into something useful.

That's awesome! Is it at BYU? So far I've only taken base level stuff like Java, SQL, and a little bit of R and Python. Looking forward to next semester because we are supposed to be diving deeper into both languages. Tableau won't come until my Senior year but I'm really looking forward to that too. Let me know if you ever get that web app developed. Would love to check it out.
blabla
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#4 » by blabla » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:15 pm

In my dozen of years in basketball analytics I haven't met a single person that programmed in R and at the same time actually understood any of the important algorithms or function calls
Python, I feel like, often forces you to be more explicit, which in turn, in a way, helps you understand what's really going on
SunDevil
Ballboy

Post#5 » by SunDevil » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:53 pm

blabla wrote:In my dozen of years in basketball analytics I haven't met a single person that programmed in R and at the same time actually understood any of the important algorithms or function calls
Python, I feel like, often forces you to be more explicit, which in turn, in a way, helps you understand what's really going on

That's very interesting and good to know thanks! Do you have a degree in data science or a related field?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,148

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 am

blabla wrote:In my dozen of years in basketball analytics I haven't met a single person that programmed in R and at the same time actually understood any of the important algorithms or function calls

R is oddly obfuscated in its way, if that's the right way to phrase that. Something about the syntax of Python is a little more straightfoward, IMHO. I like it more. I've used it for data analysis (including interfacing with Excel's application model), GUIs, network tool development, network scripts, ROIP metadata management, all kinds of stuff. It's pretty versatile, with a wicked set of available, diverse libraries.

EDIT: Nuts, didn't see how long ago the last reply was, sorry.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#7 » by eyriq » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:04 am

R is great, especially the tidyverse. My job uses python though and I've come to love the ecosystem. If you want to get some reps in using python for basketball analysis check out the dataquest YouTube channel. Really good project walkthroughs there.
KPT1867
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#8 » by KPT1867 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:06 am

SAS
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#9 » by narmerguy » Wed Jan 4, 2023 7:03 am

Are there any large datasets of box scores we could analyze? With player-level data? This one seems to only have team data.

https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/wyattowalsh/basketball

I wanted to look at things like steals, assists, points, 3P%, etc. for specific players and games.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#10 » by LesGrossman » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:11 pm

STATA, SPSS, Gretl are good tools for quantitative analysis. R probably too, havent looked into it. For me the problem is more to akquire the data i need now that basketball-reference and nba.com have closed their interfaces (or maybe i'm too dumb to figure out how to extract).
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Lanky Gunner
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#11 » by Lanky Gunner » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:58 pm

I use R, but I would recommend using Python. I am in contact with front office folks from more than half the league's teams in a Slack they all hang out in and Python is definitely the preferred language (though there are dissenters, of course).
If you have a hero, look again; you have diminished yourself in some way.

http://www.nbacouchside.com

Return to Statistical Analysis