[Celtics] Rondo: Behind the Statistics

Moderator: Doctor MJ

RondoWallace
Banned User
Posts: 82
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 09, 2009

[Celtics] Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#1 » by RondoWallace » Mon Nov 2, 2009 8:42 pm

Here are some stats to backup Rondo(Read first, THEN COMMENT)::

- Selected by the GMs to be tied with Kobe as the best on the ball defender in the league, and 4th best overall perimeter defender

- Rondo's Offense: In the regular season Ray Allen led the Celtics with an on court offensive rating of 114.1 points per 100 possessions. Rondo was second on the Celtics with a 114.0 rating.

- Last Season: 12ppg, 5 rbd, 8 ass, 2 stl, .505 fg%
- PlayOffs: With KG out, scored 20ppg, 10ass, 10rbd (rounded)

- Rondo vs all TOP NBA players in win produced:
Chris Paul 29.4, Lebron 27.1, Howard 24.6, Jason Kidd 21.0, Wade 21.0, Rondo 18.3, Pau Gasol 16.8

- Voted by the coaches to be on the All-Defense teams. Ranked #1 this year in steals and assists.

- Lightning quick, and improved jumper this year --->> All-Star


Rondo makes Pierce, Ray, KG better, not the other way around...
User avatar
EwwItsRasho
Senior
Posts: 644
And1: 3
Joined: Aug 27, 2008

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#2 » by EwwItsRasho » Mon Nov 2, 2009 8:50 pm

If you are going to take the first 3-4 games of the season into account, with Rondo leading the league in APG, then why not bring up his 6ppg averages? Yes, that's right...6 points per game. Brevin Knight put up those kind of numbers that Rondo puts up in terms of assist and steals (for 12+ nba seasons), except he scored more. How come I don't see him on the HOF ballot, if he's the caliber of a future HOFer in Chris Paul? Why is Brevin Knight simply a footnote in the NBA history books, and why is Rajon Rondo the 2nd best PG behind one of the greatest PGs potentially in NBA history?
Image
Volcano wrote:Kobe is just a glorified Jamal Crawford. Without Shaq, he wouldn't even be in the NBA. Shaq guided him like a father and breast fed him like a mother.
Triple M
Head Coach
Posts: 7,088
And1: 681
Joined: Apr 30, 2005
Location: 1994 of an Alternate Universe World Seres Parade
         

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#3 » by Triple M » Mon Nov 2, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm almost rondo'd out but i might have a bit left in me.
"Rondo makes Pierce, Ray, KG better, not the other way around..."
I disagree I say it is a 2-way street.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,373
And1: 3,318
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#4 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Nov 2, 2009 8:54 pm

Couple questions:

1) How is this "behind the statistics" when you are posting stats ?

2) This thread looks like it's trying to support his contract signing.. why a new thread?
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
User avatar
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,802
And1: 7
Joined: Nov 29, 2008
Location: Lakewood, CA

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#5 » by It_Was_Typed » Mon Nov 2, 2009 8:54 pm

top 5 PG right now.
#JuiceIsFree
RondoWallace
Banned User
Posts: 82
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 09, 2009

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#6 » by RondoWallace » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:12 pm

EwwItsRasho: Ok, forget this years stats, since Rondo hasn't looked for his shot yet. Look at other info? Brevin Knight? Are you on high? Is Brevin a top defensive lock down specialist. Does Brevin average 2 steals and 8+ assists per game.

Rondo has outplayed every pg, in this league, other than Chris Paul. He usually plays Paul even. He has consistnently played better than Williams, Devin Harris, etc BOTH Defense & Offense
User avatar
GreenDreamer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,871
And1: 7
Joined: Dec 10, 2008

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#7 » by GreenDreamer » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:16 pm

EwwItsRasho wrote:If you are going to take the first 3-4 games of the season into account, with Rondo leading the league in APG, then why not bring up his 6ppg averages? Yes, that's right...6 points per game. Brevin Knight put up those kind of numbers that Rondo puts up in terms of assist and steals (for 12+ nba seasons), except he scored more. How come I don't see him on the HOF ballot, if he's the caliber of a future HOFer in Chris Paul? Why is Brevin Knight simply a footnote in the NBA history books, and why is Rajon Rondo the 2nd best PG behind one of the greatest PGs potentially in NBA history?


It may have escaped your notice last season, but Rondo isn't exactly incapable of scoring. 17 ppg in the playoffs? yeah, that is actually pretty good.


Rondo is averaging 6.5 ppg through 4 games. He is only averaging 5.8 FGA's pre game, and still hasn't taken a single free throw. I don't know if the emphasis is in getting the others going, scoring wise, but he simply isn't look to score at all. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see him string together a few 20 point + games together in the near future. It isn't like he hasn't done that before.

One can cite his numbers from Basketball-refernce.com, 82games.com, and Wages of Wins - all who use DIFFERENT systems to evaluate players, and all of whom rank Rondo as one of the league's best players - but I'll go with something a lot easier to understand....

In the history of the playoffs, only 6 players have ever had 3 or more triple doubles in a single postseason:

Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Wilt Chamberlain
Oscar Robertson
Jason Kidd
Rajon Rondo

Considering that they have been keeping track of points, assists and rebounds for about 60 years now, you'd figure that if doing such a thing was even semi normal, that at least one, non-FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER would have done it before Rondo.

He's really good.
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#8 » by Cammo101 » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:23 pm

Rondo is a very nice player, but this is getting out of control. Pierce, KG, and Allen make Rondo look a lot better than he actually is. He plays on a team so talented, that it hides his weaknesses and showsx of his strengths. Rondo is able to play his game and hide the fact that he can't shoot or score to save his life.

If Rondo went somewhere else and had to be a go to type player, he would flail. Similar to how the Gator team with Noah, Horford, and Brewer allowed those guys to play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. When they went to the NBA though, the weaknesses shined through.

So, Rondo is a good player, but that Boston team makes him look like a better player than he really is. IMO.
Canomad
Banned User
Posts: 19,723
And1: 67
Joined: May 17, 2007
Location: The City Of Steel

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#9 » by Canomad » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:30 pm

its clear people have moved on from anthony randolph and rondo is the next big superstar.
Jose_Matador
Banned User
Posts: 5,461
And1: 3
Joined: Nov 02, 2009

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#10 » by Jose_Matador » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:50 pm

He sucks...the progress he has made is due to the incredible cast of players he's surrounded with, put Chris Paul or Deron Williams in that situation and you're talking about Hall Of Fame status by the time they turn 23.
User avatar
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,338
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Location: Orlando
Contact:

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#11 » by Hairy Midget » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:56 pm

RondoWallace wrote:- PlayOffs: With KG out, scored 20ppg, 10ass, 10rbd (rounded)




Wow, that is some rounding.
Image
Mahoney_jr
Veteran
Posts: 2,523
And1: 1
Joined: Aug 02, 2004
Location: Germany
 

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#12 » by Mahoney_jr » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:58 pm

Jose_Matador wrote:He sucks...the progress he has made is due to the incredible cast of players he's surrounded with, put Chris Paul or Deron Williams in that situation and you're talking about Hall Of Fame status by the time they turn 23.


Rondo is not on the level of the two guys a.m. That said, you should take into account that Danny Ainge noticed a somewhat promising trend when evaluating Rondo during his rookie season (look up his post ASG 06/07 stats [garnered without Paul Pierce, Wally Sczcerbiak] if you like), that led to the decision to keep this baby-face with the alien-body no matter what the Sonics or Wolves argue in the negotiations for Ray and KG. So Rondo EARNED his spot on the best S5 of the league without the help of any hall of famer. Appreciate that and I'll grant you that Rondo definately has some holes in his game (and is cocky to extended degree).
Triple M
Head Coach
Posts: 7,088
And1: 681
Joined: Apr 30, 2005
Location: 1994 of an Alternate Universe World Seres Parade
         

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#13 » by Triple M » Mon Nov 2, 2009 9:59 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Rondo is a very nice player, but this is getting out of control. Pierce, KG, and Allen make Rondo look a lot better than he actually is. He plays on a team so talented, that it hides his weaknesses and showsx of his strengths. Rondo is able to play his game and hide the fact that he can't shoot or score to save his life.


Rondo's strengths are not showed on a team that plays a very slow pace he is more suited to be playing on an uptempo team. Rondo actually helps the big 3 as well I've said this before when it comes to help it is a 2 way street. Finally Rondo might not be able to shoot but he can definitely score. Last year when the Celtics best player was out for 3 months scoring was not an issue for Rondo he was occasionally scoring in the high teens and high 20's low 30's. You don't do that in this league if you can't score to save your life.

Cammo101 wrote:If Rondo went somewhere else and had to be a go to type player, he would flail. Similar to how the Gator team with Noah, Horford, and Brewer allowed those guys to play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. When they went to the NBA though, the weaknesses shined through.

So, Rondo is a good player, but that Boston team makes him look like a better player than he really is. IMO.


I don't see how college players who had success in college not living u to expectations in the pro is comparable to Rondo's situation in fact it is quite asinine. If Rondo went somewhere else there is no guarantee that he would fail. He could just as easily avg more points/less assist but I don't see a significant enough movement either way.
Hemingway
Banned User
Posts: 3,725
And1: 3
Joined: Jan 11, 2005

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#14 » by Hemingway » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:01 pm

[quote="EwwItsRasho"]If you are going to take the first 3-4 games of the season into account, with Rondo leading the league in APG, then why not bring up his 6ppg averages? Yes, that's right...6 points per game. Brevin Knight put up those kind of numbers that Rondo puts up in terms of assist and steals (for 12+ nba seasons), except he scored more. How come I don't see him on the HOF ballot, if he's the caliber of a future HOFer in Chris Paul? Why is Brevin Knight simply a footnote in the NBA history books, and why is Rajon Rondo the 2nd best PG behind one of the greatest PGs potentially in NBA history?[/quote]

When you have not lost a game yet, won everyone by more than a few, and blown out half of the games I don't think your PPG really matters. I give anyone who is ok with putting up small numbers in points per game when they are trying to sign a mega contract a lot of credit. Rondo buys into the team concept and doesn't seem to care about personal stats at all.
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 19,055
And1: 5,066
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:06 pm

I heard Rondo grew 2.5 inches in height over the summer. It shows.
:reporter: Moose23's burner account?
:reporter: Will the Raps board take him back?

truth18 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:Tldr? Thanks?

TLDR
**** most of my sub forum. We used to be tight here, I'd love to post here again on occasion like I used to.
Love your squad.
Going to the finals.
rpa
RealGM
Posts: 11,374
And1: 2,770
Joined: Nov 24, 2006

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#16 » by rpa » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:12 pm

RondoWallace wrote:EwwItsRasho: Ok, forget this years stats, since Rondo hasn't looked for his shot yet. Look at other info? Brevin Knight? Are you on high? Is Brevin a top defensive lock down specialist. Does Brevin average 2 steals and 8+ assists per game.

Rondo has outplayed every pg, in this league, other than Chris Paul. He usually plays Paul even. He has consistnently played better than Williams, Devin Harris, etc BOTH Defense & Offense


Career averages of 6.1/1.7 and during his prime he put up, you guessed it (oh wait, you didn't), 8-9 assists and 2 steals.
Jose_Matador
Banned User
Posts: 5,461
And1: 3
Joined: Nov 02, 2009

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#17 » by Jose_Matador » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:13 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:I heard Rondo grew 2.5 inches in height over the summer. It shows.
So Rondo is the first person over 21 years of age to grow 2 inches taller ? Wouldn't that have made some Guinness World Record ? :-?
SportsWorld
RealGM
Posts: 51,601
And1: 126
Joined: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:
       

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#18 » by SportsWorld » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:14 pm

Canomad wrote:its clear people have moved on from anthony randolph and rondo is the next big superstar.

There's a difference. Rajon Rondo has proven he's one of the top PG's in the game. Anthony Randolph has proven nothing.
Dat Pass
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,377
And1: 46
Joined: Feb 18, 2009

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#19 » by Dat Pass » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:15 pm

RondoWallace wrote:
Rondo makes Pierce, Ray, KG better, not the other way around...


Yea, those guys never even sniffed the All-Star game before they played with Rondo.. :roll:
Triple M
Head Coach
Posts: 7,088
And1: 681
Joined: Apr 30, 2005
Location: 1994 of an Alternate Universe World Seres Parade
         

Re: Rondo: Behind the Statistics 

Post#20 » by Triple M » Mon Nov 2, 2009 10:23 pm

Ball Boy wrote:
RondoWallace wrote:
Rondo makes Pierce, Ray, KG better, not the other way around...


Yea, those guys never even sniffed the All-Star game before they played with Rondo.. :roll:


At this stage of their careers he does make the better though. He sets them up for so many easy/open looks that they don't need to expand energy creating their own shot. Is it really that hard to understand????

Return to Statistical Analysis