Top 200 Players in ABA and NBA history

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Ytoojae
Junior
And1: 3

Top 200 Players in ABA and NBA history 

Post#1 » by Ytoojae » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello all-

Am in the finishing stages of putting together a statistically based analyst of the top 365 players in NBA and ABA history. I am then going to be having a book published displaying this data together with biographies for each of them.

However, on Monday the 22nd over November I will be debuting a new blog located at: http://hoopsgreatest.blogspot.com/ counting down from number 200 to 1. The blog will be excerpts of the upcoming book. The blog will end just prior or at the start of the 2010 NBA Finals.

I have poured months of my time into this project and am thankful to have a quality publisher backing me up on this project. I have written on the NBA (and other professional leagues) for magazines both in the United States and abroad. I have a scouting background as well.

A stroke left me unable to continue with the scouting job so I've put my heart and soul into this project. Hopefully it's a success, but if it isn't, then so be it. It was a blast doing it. The vast majority of the money from the sale of the books (along with all/any revenue from the 'adsense' will be going directly to charity. The only money the publisher and I are looking to make from this is to cover costs.

So please at least take a look. As my 'preview blog' says - I'm looking for a designer who may or may not be interested in designing the book cover and receiving appropriate compensation on the cover.

Sorry for spamming if this is considered spam. Back to contributing meaningfully to the boards (not that my post count is high). :)
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Re: Top 200 Players in ABA and NBA history 

Post#2 » by LiSTWithLani » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:02 am

It looks like a great project, congratulations and I'll be checking this on the regular and might buy your book.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#3 » by tkb » Sun Dec 6, 2009 12:40 am

Sounds like a cool project. I believe you have a picture of Byron Scott in your Norm Nixon post on your website though ;)
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:39 pm

I've been checking in and enjoy your vignettes. however, the trouble with starting at 200 working up is that the debates sort of have to go the other way to determine ranking and without knowing the whole table or at least the 10 above and below, it's difficult to second guess and challenge the ratings when you read them . . . which is 90% of the fun :)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#5 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:47 am

I'm sorry about your stroke. I just checked out your website and it looks like you did a very good job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how your list progresses.

Return to Statistical Analysis