Moderator: Doctor MJ

rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

New Stat site: Referee Stats 

Post#1 » by rrravenred » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Can't speak for methodology, analysis or presentation, but some diligent RealGM poster (SCassell19) has put this site up, containing some per-game metrics (for Milwaukee only at this stage) sorted by referee.

http://www.nbarefstats.com/

This is certainly statistics with an agenda, but a bigger dataset including other teams might allow greater objective scrutiny of referee performance without resorting to "OMG WE WUZ ROBBED!" He's also asking for input to the site...
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Re: New Stat site: Referee Stats 

Post#2 » by Jimmy76 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:03 am

wow :o

edit: dunno how accurate it is just amazed someone is actually doing this

Id love it if it was done from a less biased perspective and across the whole NBA. Using objective data too and not "questionable win" type stuff. Over a couple years I imagine the trend of a paticular ref not giving calls to a paticular player would come out if it exsisted.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#3 » by rrravenred » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:18 am

Probably too difficult to break down on a player basis, but team-by-team I can see it as a worthy endeavour.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
SCassell19
Junior
And1: 11

Post#4 » by SCassell19 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:59 am

Jimmy76 wrote:wow :o

Id love it if it was done from a less biased perspective and across the whole NBA. Using objective data too and not "questionable win" type stuff. Over a couple years I imagine the trend of a paticular ref not giving calls to a paticular player would come out if it exsisted.

I made the site. If you scroll under the stats you will see a key.

QUES GAMES: A QUESTIONABLE GAME IS WHERE THE WINNING TEAM SHOOTS AT LEAST 10+ MORE FTS AND THE FT DIFFERENTIAL IS EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THE WINNING MARGIN.

All of the stats are based on a statistical criteria and not opinion.

The stats should be pretty accurate. In the process of logging FT counts from hundreds and hundreds of games its possible a mistake or two could have been made somewhere but the error margin here if any is very small because I put great care into making sure the numbers were correct.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:44 pm

The Philadelphia stat guy used to do a nice one showing referee bias toward the home team (pretty much every ref in the NBA except Mendy Rudolph if I remember with some having big swings) but I understand the NBA made him quit publishing it. Fun stuff scassell, thanks!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Jimmy76 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:45 am

SCassell19 wrote:

QUES GAMES: A QUESTIONABLE GAME IS WHERE THE WINNING TEAM SHOOTS AT LEAST 10+ MORE FTS AND THE FT DIFFERENTIAL IS EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THE WINNING MARGIN.

The stats should be pretty accurate. In the process of logging FT counts from hundreds and hundreds of games its possible a mistake or two could have been made somewhere but the error margin here if any is very small because I put great care into making sure the numbers were correct.

might just be that the Bucks dont take many fts

i dunno maybe you took that into account

interesting regardless
Percules
Junior
And1: 53

Post#7 » by Percules » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Ten free throws aren't that much if one team is constantly attacking the rim and manages to draw quick fouls on the other team early in the quarter. A foul equals 2 free throws, so 10 FT are just 5 fouls more for the entire game. Very possible to happen.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#8 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 3, 2010 6:28 pm

Jimmy76 wrote:
SCassell19 wrote:

might just be that the Bucks dont take many fts

i dunno maybe you took that into account

interesting regardless

That could be true, but it's a system that can be employed for any game between any two teams with any three refs. If there is intentional or unintentional bias, it seems like a system that might help reveal it, regardless of any one team's tendancies.

Return to Statistical Analysis